During The American Revolutionary War, the state religion of Great Britain was Christianity?

Setanta

Reply Sat 16 Aug, 2014 04:05 am
@oristarA,
If you expect me to answer questions, you have to answer the questions i've already asked you. Jefferson's motives are meaningless if he cannot carry out such plans as you alleged (truly, a howler). When you have answered my questions, i'll think about answering yours.

All you're doing is attempting to weasel out of the questions because you can't answer them.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Sat 16 Aug, 2014 04:51 am
@oristarA,
You don't notice that nothing is written about "state religion".
(Nota bene: the Church of England is a Christian church, like the Catholic Church, the Church of Scotland, the ....)
0 Replies

oristarA

Reply Sun 17 Aug, 2014 08:56 am
My district suffered an unusual blackout today and the electricity was just restored. I will see you tomorrow guys.
0 Replies

oristarA

Reply Sun 17 Aug, 2014 11:46 pm
The possibility is apparent, or self-evident in my book. I was just wondering why you guys would have had so many difficulties in understanding this. I was about to search out (or make up) a touching story to make clear of this, but the unexpected blackout prevented me from doing this. So now I would better make it abstract. Let's see whether you can get it well:

Supposed there were two countries at war:

Country A, with their faith (X) as their divine guidance (their commanders and soldiers were the believers of X)

Country B, with their faith (Y) as their divine guidance (their commanders and soldiers were the believers of Y)

After a series of bloody battles, Country A won and Country B lost.

Now please think whether this is obvious and post an answer (Yes or No) in your reply:

Generally speaking:

Faith X would be enhanced beyond measure. The people of Country A celebrate the victory of the war and believe the divine guidance has led to it. The victory serves as an enhancer to their faith.

Faith Y would be weakened greatly, because the people of Country B are dispirited by the loss of the war and believe their God has probably abandoned them. The loss of the war delivers a heavy blow on their faith.

That is: there is a direct causal link between the war and the decline in Faith Y in Country B.
Walter Hinteler

Reply Sun 17 Aug, 2014 11:54 pm
@oristarA,
The Thirty-Years-War was (mainly) a religious war.
Afterwards, we didn't have Catholics anymore in Europe (or was it Lutherans/Protestants/Evangelicals? Or Christians?)???
oristarA

Reply Mon 18 Aug, 2014 12:16 am
@Walter Hinteler,
Walter Hinteler wrote:

The Thirty-Years-War was (mainly) a religious war.
Afterwards, we didn't have Catholics anymore in Europe (or was it Lutherans/Protestants/Evangelicals? Or Christians?)???

Don't put too many eggs in one basket, WH.
Make it straight and answer the question below with Yes or No:

There is a direct causal link between the war and the decline in Faith Y in Country B.

Yes or No?
Walter Hinteler

Reply Mon 18 Aug, 2014 12:36 am
@oristarA,
It certainly is. Take Christian of Brunswick.
He minted coins with the inscription "Gottes Freund, der Pfaffen Feind" (God's friend, the vicars' enemy). After quite a bit of success, he later was heavily defeated.
That not only was the beginning ("Palatine Phase") of the end of the Protestant rebellion, but started the decline of Christianity in England as well. (He was one of the ancestors of the House of Hanover, definetely beats Jefferson here! And the Evangelical Lutheran Church in Brunswick is still loosing members, too!)
0 Replies

izzythepush

Reply Mon 18 Aug, 2014 02:19 am
@oristarA,
It's thinking straight out of primary school and the facts don't back it up. It's based on false logic and a complete lack of understanding of why people cling to Faith.

Answer Setanta's question and stop prevaricating.
oristarA

Reply Mon 18 Aug, 2014 03:11 am
@izzythepush,
Who's prevaricating? You? See:

izzythepush wrote:

You disagreed about a point of law, that's not the same. Oristar is claiming a direct causal link between the American Revolution and the decline in Christianity in Britain, using an off the cuff remark from Contrex as his only source.

The very idea is preposterous, nobody agrees with him, nobody.

WH, or any one, can you see how preposterous Izzy is now?

I said I would answer questions one by one.
After this done, Setanta's will be answered.
izzythepush

Reply Mon 18 Aug, 2014 03:46 am
@oristarA,
I'm not prevaricating, the idea is preposterous. There is no direct causal link between the decline in Christianity in the UK and the American Revolution. You were the one who made this claim and you have still not provided any evidence whatsoever to support such a claim. A load of hypothetical theorising about country A, B, Z, Y, etc. is not evidence of anything.

Setanta has asked you to provide evidence of your claim, you have not done so because there is none. All we've had is schoolboy theories and a load of wild, and, quite frankly, bizarre allegations about those who disagree with you.

There has been plenty of evidence the other way, the growth of evangelism after the Revolution, the growth of the British Empire after the Revolution, the irreverent nature of the English in general, (see Shakespeare and Chaucer,) the effect of the Interregnum and the growth of scientific rationalism following Darwin's theory of evolution.

You have stated something, and you've provided absolutely no evidence to back up your statement. You're the one who needs to answer Setanta's question. Wild theorising and oblique references to the life of Mao Tse Tung do not constitute evidence. Provide evidence or admit your theory is absurd.
0 Replies

oristarA

Reply Mon 18 Aug, 2014 08:43 am
Izzy's a bluffing coward. But Setanta, though sometimes improperly audacious, is much smarter than him. Nothing I would count on Izzy.

If you want to know why you're a coward, Izzy, inquire with a humble attitude. Otherwise, I don't care you keep standing in the darkness of ignorance.
oristarA

Reply Mon 18 Aug, 2014 08:52 am
@oristarA,
oristarA wrote:

The possibility is apparent, or self-evident in my book. I was just wondering why you guys would have had so many difficulties in understanding this. I was about to search out (or make up) a touching story to make clear of this, but the unexpected blackout prevented me from doing this. So now I would better make it abstract. Let's see whether you can get it well:

Supposed there were two countries at war:

Country A, with their faith (X) as their divine guidance (their commanders and soldiers were the believers of X)

Country B, with their faith (Y) as their divine guidance (their commanders and soldiers were the believers of Y)

After a series of bloody battles, Country A won and Country B lost.

Now please think whether this is obvious and post an answer (Yes or No) in your reply:

Generally speaking:

Faith X would be enhanced beyond measure. The people of Country A celebrate the victory of the war and believe the divine guidance has led to it. The victory serves as an enhancer to their faith.

Faith Y would be weakened greatly, because the people of Country B are dispirited by the loss of the war and believe their God has probably abandoned them. The loss of the war delivers a heavy blow on their faith.

That is: there is a direct causal link between the war and the decline in Faith Y in Country B.

Before we go further, you need to answer Yes or No here, Setanta.

Sometimes things look improbable, because understanding of some essential knowledge is required. Without fundamental knowledge, improbability often occurs.
George

Reply Mon 18 Aug, 2014 09:36 am
@oristarA,
Question:
If the American Revolution dealt a crushing blow to British Christianity,
did the Napoleonic Wars restore the British to their former fervor?
0 Replies

izzythepush

Reply Mon 18 Aug, 2014 09:40 am
@oristarA,
I've not bluffed about anything. I've pointed out a lot of reasons why your hypothesis is wrong. I've provided evidence. You've provided nothing but a load of hot air.

I'm not remotely interested in why you think anything, you're a ******* idiot.
Setanta

Reply Mon 18 Aug, 2014 09:41 am
@oristarA,
No, i don't "need" to answer your idiotic hypothetical postulate. I will answer no question of yours until you have answered the questions i asked you.
izzythepush

Reply Mon 18 Aug, 2014 09:47 am
@oristarA,
Setanta doesn't have to answer anything. That hypothesis is a load of bollocks.

Meanwhile in the real world, you have been asked to provide evidence to back up a preposterous theory. You haven't provided any, because there is none.

You're too much of a coward to admit you're wrong so you come up with some bullshit theory involving countries X, Y and Z as a face saving exercise.

It's very transparent, the only person you're fooling is yourself.
0 Replies

oristarA

Reply Mon 18 Aug, 2014 09:54 am
@izzythepush,
Your nasty words can only further confirm my judgement and betray your ignorance. Wink

You are a shame for the United Kingdom. I respect Darwin, Newton, Hawking, Dawkins... of whom Great Britain is proud, but you are a shame there.
oristarA

Reply Mon 18 Aug, 2014 10:01 am
@Setanta,
Setanta wrote:

No, i don't "need" to answer your idiotic hypothetical postulate. I will answer no question of yours until you have answered the questions i asked you.

This reply itself is an answer already. Very Happy

Your arrogant perverse behavior really amuses me. Thanks for that.

Setanta

Reply Mon 18 Aug, 2014 10:04 am
@oristarA,
Y0u're welcome. You're also lame and a weasel. If you can't answer the questions i asked, you can't support this hilarious hypothesis of yours--no surprise there.
Walter Hinteler

Reply Mon 18 Aug, 2014 10:06 am
@oristarA,
You are the Emperor of China, correct, oristarA?
And, of course, you really are a know-it-all wisenheimer.
0 Replies