For the Love of Dogs.

Germlat

Reply Mon 21 Jul, 2014 12:06 pm
I have this wonderful pet who has brought much laughter and joy into my life. He is a 6 year old Boxer dog named Sam. He is what a would call a silly love bug who is fiercely playful and high energy. We have enjoyed his company immensely. This past weekend we found out he has terminal Lymphoma. We are torn as to what direction to take because we don't want to make it any more difficult than things have to be for him. I want for this to be a tribute to our wonderful canine companions as they enrich our lives so greatly. Please share your stories.

Germlat

Reply Mon 21 Jul, 2014 12:51 pm
I"ll share one...it is the story of how I knew I could'nt give him up. We had tried about 7 methods to contain him in the yard but nothing worked. He would find a way of getting out every time. My husband worked arduously every weekend to figure out ways to keeping him contained. Sam viewed it as a challenge to keep him temporarily entertained. I've been told he looks quite mean-ha-ha, and we were afraid he'd get run over by a car or that he'd wind up in the pound. I finally called a Boxer rescue center because we were out of ideas. I didn't want just anyone to be able to adopt him. I wanted to understand exactly how each candidate was selected. I explained to the confused man on the other side that my dog was very high energy and smart. I was afraid in the wrong hands he would end up being destroyed. I realized tears were streaming down my face, as the man on the other line said, " Mam...I'm sorry but...I'm don't think you're
ready to give up your dog." He was right.
Linkat

Reply Mon 21 Jul, 2014 03:14 pm
@Germlat,
Ah...that is so sweet.

Have you ever read the book Marley and Me...it was a movie too, but I only read the book. If you haven't you should -- you would definately understand the owners of the crazy dog.

Our pets add so much joy and happiness to our lives don't they? It is so sad when they get sick -- they rely on you to care for them and they mean so much. I'm sorry you have to go through this, but certainly understand being a pet owner of all sorts of creatures including the canine variety. My dog (funny I just starting writing the name backwards -- did you know dog backwards is god)...is so spoiled - we take him with us when we can on trips including on planes - fortunately he is just barely under the 20 pound limit to bring in the cabin.
ossobuco

Reply Mon 21 Jul, 2014 04:16 pm
I'm sorry to read this, Germlat. My dog Katy and I (and friends) went through this a year ago - more precisely, starting about eighteen months ago.

Here's the main Katy thread.
http://able2know.org/topic/187834-1

Not that you're apt to be in the mood to read the Katy thread, Germlat, but there's a goodly history of dog tales here.The first one I remember was littlek talking about her Bootsie, also a boxer.

http://able2know.org/topic/43952-29
Germlat

Reply Mon 21 Jul, 2014 04:58 pm
@Linkat,
Thanks for the reply. I never watched the movie or read the book.... It sounds like it's the kinda thing that happens...they become our family. It's hard to let go. He's the first indoor dog I've ever had and happens to be a Boxer (LOL, cause you know how dainty they are).
0 Replies

Germlat

Reply Mon 21 Jul, 2014 05:08 pm
@ossobuco,
Thanks Osso...10 years ago I'd look at people talking about a pet this way and didn't get it. I'll read about your Katy...sorry you had to go through that. But-- wow..what joy they bring.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Mon 21 Jul, 2014 05:59 pm
I have had several great dogs in my life. Some of them not even my own. When they pass, I take it as hard as the passing of a human.
Germlat

Reply Mon 21 Jul, 2014 06:23 pm
@edgarblythe,
Yeah...Maybe that happens when you get to really appreciate them..I didn't understand that for years...until I got this one.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Mon 21 Jul, 2014 06:45 pm
Germlat, there are two Katy threads and they progress slowly. Things do actually happen, and mysteries resolve, but it might seem like reading molasses.

I'm rereading it myself now, a lot of good memories accumulated, and lots of people chiming in to give suggestions I asked for, when she came to live with me.
Germlat

Reply Mon 21 Jul, 2014 07:00 pm
@ossobuco,
Well, she must have been awfully special to you to have Katy threads. My husband says our dog Sam is the one by which all others will be measured. I wonder if that could be the case. Maybe some animals like some people, touch us more deeply than others.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Mon 21 Jul, 2014 07:21 pm
@Germlat,
Sorry to hear about Sam's diagnosis.

Do tell more Sam stories.

Set and I have so many dog stories, it's a bit embarrassing.
ossobuco

Reply Mon 21 Jul, 2014 08:05 pm
I always read anything ehBeth or Setanta say about dogs.. anything.

On the Katy threads, the photos finally show up on page 24 of the first one (they disappeared at one point after taking forever to show up before that). I don't expect others to be so engaged.
Germlat

Reply Tue 22 Jul, 2014 05:52 am
@ehBeth,
When I got him I didn't know that Boxers have the highest incidence of cancer. They also have a short life expectancy. I'm still glad I had him in my life. When he was a young pup he was a maniac. As time progressed he became the most well - behaved dog. People even asked where we had him trained. He is aggressive but not hostile if that makes any sense. He's also the most affectionate animal I've ever been around. Do you have any dogs now?
Germlat

Reply Tue 22 Jul, 2014 06:12 am
@ossobuco,
I think it's interesting that dogs exhibit very particular traits of their breed, but still have unique personalities. Growing up we had a German Shepherd and an Afghan hound. The German Shepherd liked to impress, while the Afghan was more aloof and catlike. Boxers are funny...if I ever laughed at anything Sam did, he'd continue to do it repeatedly. I've read they call them the clown of dogs.
ehBeth

Reply Tue 22 Jul, 2014 06:31 am
@Germlat,
We live with two dogs right now. Mr. Bailey and Miss Bella. Mr. Bailey is 17 now, a bit senile and marvellously happy. He was an aloof dog most of his life. Senility has been verra verra good for him Smile He came to live with me when he was about 9 months old - I was his 7th home and his last chance. We have been very happy together. Bella came to live with us about a year ago. She was estimated to be about 4 years old then and was a rescue from a puppy mill hoarding situation where she had lived in a crate. Her life before coming to us was as a puppy mill mama. Things are better for her now and she knows it. Still has occasional moments of neediness but knows she is deeply loved.

Our Miss Cleo died last year. She was about 15. Had a rough start in life, but her final 10 years were marvellous, getting car rides, dipping and swishing in any body of water she could find, and getting every drop of love she could get from Set. Set was definitely her person. I was her mom, her pack alpha, but Set was her person.
Linkat

Reply Tue 22 Jul, 2014 06:48 am
@Germlat,
My brother had a boxer so I kind of understand or have seen their behaviour. His boxer was an escape artist - he ate his crate to escape. To this day not sure how the heck he did it. But to be honest, I am not a fan of crating dogs for long periods of time. Maybe just at night or short periods during the day when they are potty training. So I don't blame the dog.

My breed is a schipperke so they have a similar personality as a boxer - very energitic and playful with a sense of humor and also an escape artist. Acts like a puppy almost their whole life - tough to train but once you do so are trained almost to a fault. Loyal and protective, but loving. The one thing is it is easier to deal with the energy and stubborness and so forth is the size difference - 18 pounds is easier to handle.

Both lovely breeds especially with the right owner -- that has the patience to train appropriately which it is obvious you have done so. I am so sorry for what you need to go through, but also happy for you to have such a wonderful personality as part of your life and family.
Germlat

Reply Tue 22 Jul, 2014 07:15 am
@ehBeth,
Wow! 7th home for Mr. Bailey. Why was that? It's sad to think about this..the Humane Society of the region where I live keeps them alive for about 20-30 days only. As you know, they simply don't have the resources to prolong it any further than that. Before we were able to settle the containment issue for good, Sam was once picked up by the dog catchers. At that time he didn't have a microchip and his dog tag had fallen off somehow. I went to 3 of the local centers trying to find him. The condition of some of these centers is appalling. It is heartbreaking. It was an eye opening experience for me. I've adopted dogs from other people(not shelters), had some given to me, and purchased others. After the experience at the humane society, I vowed to never purchase a dog again.
Germlat

Reply Tue 22 Jul, 2014 07:37 am
@Linkat,
Your right about it having to be the right owner. Sam taught us so much. The first year was awfully difficult . I was working long hours and so was my husband. In retrospect, I see it wasn't the right time to get a puppy. I tried to read as much as I could about his breed. Boxers do not respond well to harshness when disciplining. Sam was easy to train since he responded incredibly well to affection and praise. He was house broken within about 2 weeks. I had never had an indoor dog before. He became just that after I read about Boxers and climate intolerance. Initially, I bought him a warming pad (it was supposed to be indestructible....LOL) which he destroyed in 2 days. He has never damaged anything inside our home. After he turned a year old, he discontinued the practice of eating everything outside the house.
Linkat

Reply Tue 22 Jul, 2014 07:41 am
@Germlat,
Quote:
(it was supposed to be indestructible....LOL)

Indestructible and boxer is an impossible combination.

You should really read the Marley and Me book - if you are a reader - the dog eats everything.
Germlat

Reply Tue 22 Jul, 2014 03:35 pm
@Linkat,
Yet the dog stopped....soon after we moved into a new house?!?! I think he was just bored and didn't have enough to do. The new house has woods and a yard and plenty of birds and squirrels. I also cut back on work hours and spent more time with him.
0 Replies