Americans in Iraq Attacked W Bomb Containing Nerve Gas (WMD)

panzade

Reply Tue 18 May, 2004 01:59 pm
No disrespect, I usually find myself in a tag-team match with you guys.
0 Replies

Foxfyre

Reply Tue 18 May, 2004 02:00 pm
It was on the news this afternoon that they originally thought the bomb had only traces of Sarin. Now the latest report says 4 to 6 liters which, if properly distributed, could kill many thousands of people. They're still working to determine how old it is though.
0 Replies

Marina

Reply Tue 18 May, 2004 02:03 pm
Tarantulas wrote:
Hee hee!! Strange but true. And it's only a small step from there to accusing the US of planting that shell.

Perhaps. I believe that the planting has already been uncovered, or should I say...been there done that. :wink:

New Reports on U.S. Planting WMDs in Iraq
BASRA, April 12 (MNA) -- Fifty days after the first reports that the U.S. forces were unloading weapons of mass destruction (WMD) in southern Iraq, new reports about the movement of these weapons have been disclosed.

Sources in Iraq speculate that occupation forces are using the recent unrest in Iraq to divert attention from their surreptitious shipments of WMD into the country.

An Iraqi source close to the Basra Governor's Office told the MNA that new information shows that a large part of the WMD, which was secretly brought to southern and western Iraq over the past month, are in containers falsely labeled as containers of the Maeresk shipping company and some consignments bearing the labels of organizations such as the Red Cross or the USAID in order to disguise them as relief shipments.

The source, who spoke on condition of anonymity, added that Iraqi officials including forces loyal to the Iraqi Governing Council stationed in southern Iraq have been forbidden from inspecting or supervising the transportation of these consignments. He went on to say that the occupation forces have ordered Iraqi officials to forward any questions on the issue to the coalition forces. Even the officials of the international relief organizations have informed the Iraqi officials that they would only accept responsibility for relief shipments which have been registered and managed by their organizations.

The Iraqi source also confirmed the report about suspicious trucks with fake Saudi and Jordanian license plates entering Iraq at night last week, stressing that the Saudi and Jordanian border guards did not attempt to inspect the trucks but simply delivered them to the U.S. and British forces stationed on Iraq's borders.

However, the source expressed ignorance whether the governments of Saudi Arabia and Jordan were aware of such movements.

A professor of physics at Baghdad University also told the MNA correspondent that a group of his colleagues who are highly specialized in military, chemical and biological fields have been either bribed or threatened during the last weeks to provide written information on what they know about various programs and research centers and the possible storage of WMD equipment.

The professor also said these people have been openly asked to confirm or deny the existence of research or related WMD equipment. A large number of these scientists, who are believed to be under the surveillance of U.S. intelligence operatives, have claimed that if they refuse to comply with this request, they may be killed or arrested on charges of concealing the truth if these weapons are found by the Bush administration in the future.

He said that the Iraqi scientists believe their lives would be in danger if they decline to cooperate with the occupation forces, especially when they recall that senior U.S. officer Michael Peterson once said, "Iraqi scientists are at any case a threat to the U.S. administration, whether they talk or not."

A source close to the Iraqi Governing Council said, "In the meantime, many suspect containers disguised as fuel supplies have been moved about by some units of the U.S. special forces. The move has been carried out under heavy security measures. Also, there are unofficial reports that the containers held biological and bacteriological toxins in liquid form. It is possible that the news about the discovery of the WMDs would be announced later."

He also said that such mixtures had been used by the Saddam regime in the 1990s.

The source added that some provocative actions such as the closure of Al-Hawza periodical by U.S. administrator Paul Bremer, the secret meetings between his envoys with some extremist groups who have no relations with the Iraqi Governing Council, the sudden upsurge in violence in central and southern Iraq, a number of activities which have stoked up the wrath of the prominent Shia clerics, and finally, the spate of kidnappings and the baseless charges against the Iranian charge d'affaires in Baghdad are providing the necessary smokescreen for the transportation of the WMD to their intended locations.

He said they are quite aware that the White House in cooperation with the Central Intelligence Agency (CIA) has directly tasked the Defense Department to hide these weapons. Given the recent scandals to the effect that the U.S. president was privy to the 9/11 plot, they might try to immediately announce the discovery of weapons of mass destruction in Iraq in order to overshadow the scandals and prevent a further decline of Bush's public opinion rating as the election approaches.

http://www.mehrnews.com/wfNewsDetails_en.aspx?NewsID=70071&t=Political
0 Replies

infowarrior

Reply Tue 18 May, 2004 02:05 pm
panzade asks, "Didn't we already know they had quantities of sarin?"

Of course we knew.

In fact, the Reagan administration looked the other way when Saddam used Sarin not only against the Kurds, but the Iranians.

But that was before Saddam fell out of favor with the right.
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Tue 18 May, 2004 02:07 pm
Foxfyre wrote:
It was on the news this afternoon that they originally thought the bomb had only traces of Sarin. Now the latest report says 4 to 6 liters which, if properly distributed, could kill many thousands of people. They're still working to determine how old it is though.

Yep, Fox posted it online a minute after my post.

I bet it will be dated at around 1988.

BTW David Kay, former head of the Iraq Survey Group, said: "It doesn't strike me as a big deal."
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Tue 18 May, 2004 02:11 pm
Craven de Kere wrote:
Foxfyre wrote:

Yep, Fox posted it online a minute after my post.

I bet it will be dated at around 1988.

BTW David Kay, former head of the Iraq Survey Group, said: "It doesn't strike me as a big deal."

Uh, I posted it here earlier...
0 Replies

panzade

Reply Tue 18 May, 2004 02:12 pm
OK Info, that was sort of my point.
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Tue 18 May, 2004 02:13 pm
My plan to read each and every one of your posts was being shelved today McG and I didn't see that.

In any case, Fox (the news outlet, not the member) did, in fact, post it online immediately after I posted.
0 Replies

infowarrior

Reply Tue 18 May, 2004 02:18 pm
panzade:

Back in the late 70's and especially, the early 80's, the US military industrial complex couldn't sell weapons fast enough to Saddam.

Saddam was like Michael Jackson walking into an art gallery -- the owner drooled at the thought of the potential sales. Ka-ching!

But relations began to seriously sour between the USA and Saddam when he refused to turn back on the Mosul to Haifa oil pipeline. Things went downhill from there, and here we are today.
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Tue 18 May, 2004 02:21 pm
There is a lot of semantic dispute over what WMD means. The phrase originated in 1937 to describe the use of strategic bombers by the German Luftwaffe during the Spanish Civil War. However, during the Cold War, WMD exclusively meant nuclear weapons. Today's nuclear weapons are vastly more destructive than either biological or chemical weapons. This prompted Gert Haigel, a chemical weapons expert, to state that only nuclear weapons could be called WMD. I'm afraid the terminology has been tossed around helter skelter with little meaning or effect. Just how many does a weapon have to kill to be called a WMD? Some would say our cluster bombs are WMD. It's really a clouded and open ended debate. By the consensus of defintions I've ever found, the bomb found with sarin gas could not be called a WMD (especially as it is nearly comfirmed it was an out-of-date and likely not recently tested delivery system). Not even a stockpile could be called WMD. There would have to be a working delivery system (missles, bombers, etc.)
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Tue 18 May, 2004 02:26 pm
You should read this.

Also, this.

Quote:
Definition: (DOD) In arms control usage, weapons that are capable of a high order of destruction and/or of being used in such a manner as to destroy large numbers of people. Can be nuclear, chemical, biological, and radiological weapons, but excludes the means of transporting or propelling the weapon where such means is a separable and divisible part of the weapon. Also called WMD. See also destruction.
0 Replies

infowarrior

Reply Tue 18 May, 2004 02:28 pm
Lightwizard:

That's a really interesting post and very informative. Thanks for the work you did researching the definition of WMD.

I wrote a 3 paragraph reply on this thread the other day cautioning the right-wingers about not breaking out the bubbly just yet. I tried to direct their memories back to the embarrassing aluminum tube claims that turned out to be just that, aluminum tubes. But many of them are off and running on a WMD tangent.

Your reply also forced me to recall earlier efforts by some on the right to categorize Scud missles as WMDs. This effort failed too.
0 Replies

blueveinedthrobber

Reply Tue 18 May, 2004 02:29 pm
I should trust something coming from the White House? First you'll have to put someone trustworthy in there.
0 Replies

panzade

Reply Tue 18 May, 2004 02:32 pm
Many thanks for the clarification Wizard
0 Replies

Tarantulas

Reply Tue 18 May, 2004 02:34 pm
So an Iranian website is accusing the US of doing something bad? What a shock. And yes, that's definitely an ad hominem attack, or in other words, "consider the source."

Craven de Kere wrote:
Tarantulas wrote:
Question for the lefties here:

How many sarin-containing bombs would it take to constitute WMD?

Just one.

More relevant questions are:

1) Do you know where the bomb came from? It seems like you are merely assuming it's from Saddam's arsenal.

Who else in the Middle East was using Sarin gas in artillery shells? No one I know of outside Iraq. So yes, I'm assuming it used to belong to Saddam. And to the earlier question, yes it was Sarin gas that killed all those Iraqis in Halabja in 1998.

2) Does it matter to you whether this was a low level munition that we'd already known about and of the same caliber that Bush's administration had dismissed earlier?

I didn't know the administration had "dismissed" any chemical weapons. I'm not sure what a "low level munition" full of nerve gas might be. And I'm not sure if you're using the word "caliber" to mean the diameter of the shell or the quality of its contents. But I think the discovery of several liters of nerve gas in an exploded IED should matter very much.

Haggling over the definition of WMD is plain silly, a cow pie in the field can have "WMD-related-activity". What is relevant is whether or not your are trying to use this find as a casus beli. Are you saying the invasion of Iraq is justified based on this alleged find?

My question to the "other side" was, how many of these shells would it take to call the total "WMD"? I don't know the answer to that myself. I'm tempted to say that since there shouldn't have been any WMD in the whole country, finding even one is justification enough. But I think I'll wait and see how many more they find before coming to a conclusion that the last reason for invading Iraq has now been justified. We had plenty of other reasons to go in there that were listed in the Public Law, so we don't really need the WMD as justification, but it would be nice to tie up that loose end.

Because if so there are questions to be answered, namely the origin of this weapon. See, if it doesn't even come from Iraq (which I doubt) it's not going to make much of a case for invading Iraq.

If it was in private hands it again does not make much of a case for a casus beli based on it.

I doubt a Sarin-filled artillery shell would be owned by a private citizen.

Do note that sarin is not too difficult to get, remember the 1995 subway attacks. The IED in Iraq is fuleling several leaps of faith here.

Sarin may be easy to get, but the artillery shell designed to disperse it definitely isn't. I don't consider it a leap of faith to say the shell belonged to Saddam.

1) That it was, in fact, a sarin shell. Earlier reports have turned out to be wrong and this might as well.

Link[/color]

2) That this was the threat referenced in our motives to invade. For this to even qualify it would have to have been owned by the Iraqi government and even then it would be laughable to try to portray this as a threat worthy of a casus beli.

WMD was not the only reason to go to war with Iraq, but it was a reason. Apparently we're looking for lots and lots of WMD, too. I don't know how much biological agent would be needed to count as WMD. How many atomic bombs would satisfy the lefties? Hard to tell.

I think it was the British who thought Saddam could deploy his WMD against the Coalition within 45 minutes in a war. Someone in this thread has reduced that time to 10 minutes in a mad scramble to discredit the bomb. I'm still taking a "wait and see" attitude about things, but the wait is definitely going to be amusing.
[/quote]
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Tue 18 May, 2004 02:34 pm
Just keep in mind that the LW's definition is wrong when referring to WMD's.
0 Replies

Fedral

Reply Tue 18 May, 2004 02:38 pm
_Marina_ wrote:
Tarantulas wrote:
Hee hee!! Strange but true. And it's only a small step from there to accusing the US of planting that shell.

Perhaps. I believe that the planting has already been uncovered, or should I say...been there done that. :wink:

New Reports on U.S. Planting WMDs in Iraq
BASRA, April 12 (MNA) -- Fifty days after the first reports that the U.S. forces were unloading weapons of mass destruction (WMD) in southern Iraq, new reports about the movement of these weapons have been disclosed.....

....might try to immediately announce the discovery of weapons of mass destruction in Iraq in order to overshadow the scandals and prevent a further decline of Bush's public opinion rating as the election approaches.

http://www.mehrnews.com/wfNewsDetails_en.aspx?NewsID=70071&t=Political

The problem with this story is that we don't HAVE any more chemical weapons of this type. They were all destroyed or rendered inert many years ago. The United States decided a long time back that the only WMD that we choose to have are nuclear ones and that all supplies of the other two sides of the WMD Triad (Chemical and biological) were to be eliminated from our arsenal.

The writers of this story need to do a little fact checking before writing stories of this type.

I would be like someone writing:
'During operation Desert Storm, Navy blimps and dirigibles dropped bombs on Sadam Hussien's army' when a little fact checking would reveal that the Navy stoped using and destroyed all their blimps and dirigibles many years ago.

I just hate when reporters aren't called on the lies they print. They hold everyone around them to some 'standard of perfection' that they refuse to live up to themselves. (Think of the last time you saw a reporter step forward with any sort of Mea Culpa)
0 Replies

Tarantulas

Reply Tue 18 May, 2004 02:40 pm
McGentrix wrote:
Just keep in mind that the LW's definition is wrong when referring to WMD's.

Yeah, it is. And thanks for the work you did researching the definition of WMD. :wink:
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Tue 18 May, 2004 02:49 pm
I didn't offer a defintion. I offered what semantic alternatives there have been over the years. The defintion you offered is still vague as to what extent the damage is and how many people are killed. The truth is the politicians don't want it exactly defined as it makes it easier to use as a fear factor.
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Tue 18 May, 2004 02:51 pm
semantic alternatives? Rolling Eyes
0 Replies