Americans in Iraq Attacked W Bomb Containing Nerve Gas (WMD)

Reply Mon 17 May, 2004 01:07 pm
For those who think the discovery or lack thereof of WMD in Iraq proves something, here is an excerpt from an article found on Reuters today:

"A roadside bomb containing sarin nerve agent also exploded recently near a U.S. military convoy in Baghdad, Brig. Gen. Mark Kimmitt confirmed Monday, saying two explosives experts were treated for "minor exposure" but no serious injuries were reported.

It was believed to be the first confirmed finding of any of the banned weapons upon which the United States based its case for the war against Saddam Hussein (news - web sites). "

Found at: http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&cid=540&ncid=716&e=1&u=/ap/20040517/ap_on_re_mi_ea/iraq
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 10,214 • Replies: 210
No top replies

John Webb

Reply Mon 17 May, 2004 01:11 pm
A left-over from the Iraq/Iran war of 1990, but useful as pro-Bush propaganda.
0 Replies

Brandon9000

Reply Mon 17 May, 2004 01:18 pm
John Webb wrote:
A left-over from the Iraq/Iran war of 1990, but useful as pro-Bush propaganda.

First of all, you have no way of knowing the origin of this sarin, and secondly it doesn't matter. The assertion was that Hussein seemed to be concealing WMD for future use. We didn't want him to hide them, even if they were old, and he claimed that he wasn't.

You have made me curious, though. If you do have a way of backing up your assertion of the origin of this particular nerve gas, I would be happy to hear it.
0 Replies

Dartagnan

Reply Mon 17 May, 2004 01:22 pm
Well, Brandon, that's a major story! One of the things I love about A2K is the way I can find news items that none of the other news sources seem to feature.

Of course, we know all the media are owned by the liberal secret conspiracy...
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Mon 17 May, 2004 01:25 pm
This has been posted several times on the forum under different discussions. It's inconclusive where the bomb came from but I hope there isn't any stockpile that has fallen into the hands of insurgents and mercenaries for the sake of the soldiers, the private contractors, and the Iraqi populace.
0 Replies

Brandon9000

Reply Mon 17 May, 2004 01:25 pm
D'artagnan wrote:
Well, Brandon, that's a major story! One of the things I love about A2K is the way I can find news items that none of the other news sources seem to feature.

Of course, we know all the media are owned by the liberal secret conspiracy...

In addition to the previous Reuters story, here is an AP version found on "USA Today."

http://www.usatoday.com/news/world/iraq/2004-05-17-sarin_x.htm
0 Replies

Brandon9000

Reply Mon 17 May, 2004 01:52 pm
Attention Kmart Shoppers, sale on WMD in Aisle 11.
0 Replies

ebrown p

Reply Mon 17 May, 2004 01:58 pm
The pressing issue is whether it took more than 45 minutes to get this bomb ready.
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Mon 17 May, 2004 01:58 pm
In quaint Martha Stewart colorways, I'm sure.
0 Replies

ebrown p

Reply Mon 17 May, 2004 02:02 pm
I bet the next bomb they explode will contain flowers and candy.
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Mon 17 May, 2004 02:05 pm
I think Stewart hopes it's exploded at the guard house in the prison.
0 Replies

Brandon9000

Reply Mon 17 May, 2004 02:06 pm
Well, I posted this because some people feel that the discovery or lack of discovery of WMD bears on the wisdom of the invasion. So, it looks like someone in Iraq has access to nerve gas, and have now tried to use it against American troops. The "USA Today" article says:

"In this case, it appears two components in the shell, which are designed to combine and create deadly sarin, did not mix upon detonation, the official said."
0 Replies

Acquiunk

Reply Mon 17 May, 2004 02:08 pm
Several things aboout that shell. First these types of shells have been showing up periodically. Ten or so were found last fall buried in a military dump outside Bassra. All of them were rusted and inoperative and leftover from Gulf War I. There are probably more floating around and not even the Bush administration has made a big deal of them. Secondly they are binary shells. That is it contains two chemicals that must be mixed to form Sarin. To mix the chemicals the shell must be fired, not exploded. This suggests that whomever set the shell as a booby trap did not know a) that it was a chemical weapon or b) how it worked.
0 Replies

Deecups36

Reply Mon 17 May, 2004 02:09 pm
This bomb the Bushites want to claim is the long, lost proof of WMD in Iraq contained Sarin nerve gas. The very same thing the Iraqis bought from the USA back in the early 1980's to use against their mortal enemy at the time, Iran.

Next?
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Mon 17 May, 2004 02:09 pm
Relax Brandon9000, some of us understand that and we are waiting to see what comes of it and we hope there are no further incidents where WMD's that don't exist are used against our troops.

Unlike some here who know everything about everything and see no reason to see what the future brings.
0 Replies

Brandon9000

Reply Mon 17 May, 2004 02:14 pm
Acquiunk wrote:
Several things aboout that shell. First these types of shells have been showing up periodically. Ten or so were found last fall buried in a military dump outside Bassra. All of them were rusted and inoperative and leftover from Gulf War I. There are probably more floating around and not even the Bush administration has made a big deal of them. Secondly they are binary shells. That is it contains two chemicals that must be mixed to form Sarin. To mix the chemicals the shell must be fired, not exploded. This suggests that whomever set the shell as a booby trap did not know a) that it was a chemical weapon or b) how it worked.

Well, I'm sure some elements of the former Iraqi government and military knew how they worked, and might in the future have used them correctly. I believe we were told that these weapons did not exist.
0 Replies

Brandon9000

Reply Mon 17 May, 2004 02:17 pm
Deecups36 wrote:
This bomb the Bushites want to claim is the long, lost proof of WMD in Iraq contained Sarin nerve gas. The very same thing the Iraqis bought from the USA back in the early 1980's to use against their mortal enemy at the time, Iran.

Next?

Do you deny that the discovery of WMD is proof of WMD? We don't know where they got this particular nerve gas weapon, and nerve gas is equally threatening to living creatures regardless of where it originated.
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Mon 17 May, 2004 02:23 pm
Brandon, I've said it before... unless they find a nuke with the words "washington D.C." written on it, the left will never acknowledge any type of WMD found in Iraq. They can't. It would prove that they were wrong about something.
0 Replies

Brandon9000

Reply Mon 17 May, 2004 02:27 pm
McGentrix wrote:
Brandon, I've said it before... unless they find a nuke with the words "washington D.C." written on it, the left will never acknowledge any type of WMD found in Iraq. They can't. It would prove that they were wrong about something.

Actually, I have never thought that finding or not finding WMD had anything to do with whether the invasion was justified. That's why I keep introducting these posts the way I do.

I believe that the relevant factor is whether the information we had about WMD at the moment of invasion created an unacceptable risk. Even had they not been found afterwards, that would not be relevant to whether the previous analysis had been correct based on then available information.
0 Replies

Deecups36

Reply Mon 17 May, 2004 02:28 pm
Do you deny that the discovery of WMD is proof of WMD? We don't know where they got this particular nerve gas weapon, and nerve gas is equally threatening to living creatures regardless of where it originated.

I don't deny the bomb allegedly contained Sarin.

What I do deny and you would be wise to do the same or risk looking like a complete fool in a week or a month, is don't jump, all jiggy with excitement to the conclusion this is evidence of WMD.

For starters, was the "roadside bomb" a hold over from Iraq's 10 year war with Iran?

Also, remember where Iraq would've procured Sarin -- the USA back in the early 1980's. A while back the Bushites started doing cartwheels over the discovery of a few mobile home buildings as proof they were WMD factories.

We all know how that turned out: egg on Bush's face.
0 Replies