Americans in Iraq Attacked W Bomb Containing Nerve Gas (WMD)

Sofia

Reply Mon 17 May, 2004 02:32 pm
If the bomb was a holdover, it should have been destroyed during the inspections.
0 Replies

Brandon9000

Reply Mon 17 May, 2004 02:33 pm
Deecups36 wrote:
Do you deny that the discovery of WMD is proof of WMD? We don't know where they got this particular nerve gas weapon, and nerve gas is equally threatening to living creatures regardless of where it originated.

I don't deny the bomb allegedly contained Sarin.

What I do deny and you would be wise to do the same or risk looking like a complete fool in a week or a month, is don't jump, all jiggy with excitement to the conclusion this is evidence of WMD.

For starters, was the "roadside bomb" a hold over from Iraq's 10 year war with Iran?

Also, remember where Iraq would've procured Sarin -- the USA back in the early 1980's. A while back the Bushites started doing cartwheels over the discovery of a few mobile home buildings as proof they were WMD factories.

We all know how that turned out: egg on Bush's face.

Well, as I say in a post above, I never believed that what was found or not found after invasion was relevant to whether the invasion was justified. If the info we had or thought we had at the moment of invasion appeared to show a serious risk of WMD, then the invasion was justified, and could not be retroactively unjustified by whatever ultimately turned out to be found. I am posting this for the benefit of those who appear to attach importance to it.

Whether the sarin came from the US some time ago, or was made by Iraqi scientists, or bought elsewhere, the belief was that Hussein could not be allowed to possess them, and that his claim that he did not was questionable. The origin of the sarin does not make it less of a threat.
0 Replies

Acquiunk

Reply Mon 17 May, 2004 02:34 pm
Brandon I am an archaeologist. I work mostly on historic sites, some of which are of the Civil War and the American Revolutionary War era. The United State Army does not use gun powder packed cannon balls. It has not used them for almost 150 years. BUT it maintains a special unit at West Point New York to defuse and dispose of such cannon balls because they are found all over the place. Particularly but not exclusively on historic battlefields. I know this because I have had to deal with them. Not to tell "war" stories but in one case the d** think exploded. People have been killed by them, one case about 25 years ago was here in Connecticut. It was a shell picked up on a Revolutionary War site. I have found live artillery shells from WWI is a display/exhibit case in a local library in Connecticut. I have been in the past year working on the property of a nuclear power plant. You don't want to know what was being found there.

Stuff Brandon STUFF of all kinds is all over the place. You would be surprised with the kinds of things we find during excavation. You can be very certain that the case is similar in Iraq.

So what you were told is infact the case. The evidence that MWD do not exist in Iraq is over whelming. But the detritus of former programs is going to be found, and some time in the oddest places.
0 Replies

Deecups36

Reply Mon 17 May, 2004 02:37 pm
If the bomb was a holdover, it should have been destroyed during the inspections.

Coulda, woulda, shoulda.

The right keeps telling their critics that Iraq is a big country and it may take years to find the much treasured WMD's. Iraq's war with Iran lasted a decade - 10 years, so we're likely to stumble upon a lot of undestroyed weapons.

It's still not proof of WMD's.
0 Replies

Brandon9000

Reply Mon 17 May, 2004 02:39 pm
Acquiunk wrote:
The evidence that MWD do not exist in Iraq is over whelming. But the detritus of former programs is going to be found, and some time in the oddest places.

....like being set off in American soldiers' faces, I guess. Yes, I guess we can conclude that the Iraqis who set this thing off, just happened to pass an old heirloom in the sand, and said, "Hey, guys, look what I just found? Can you beat that? Hey, I bet we could use this."
0 Replies

Brandon9000

Reply Mon 17 May, 2004 02:42 pm
Deecups36 wrote:
If the bomb was a holdover, it should have been destroyed during the inspections.It's still not proof of WMD's.

I must hand it to you. I truly think you deserve some kind of award - a plaque, or trophy, or something. The use of WMD against American soldiers in Iraq is not proof that there are WMD. Congratulations on this remarkable achievement in the use of logic.
0 Replies

Sofia

Reply Mon 17 May, 2004 02:42 pm
It is, in fact, a WMD.

It was, in fact, in the hands of those actively at war against the US and her allies.

The inspections so vaunted by many liberals; had they had worked as gloriously as we have been told, would have resulted in the destruction of the WMDs.

Had Saddam been forthcoming and open during the inspection process, we wouldn't be finding bombs with Sarin warheads.
0 Replies

blueveinedthrobber

Reply Mon 17 May, 2004 02:47 pm
McGentrix has such a hard on for discovering nerve agents, WMD's, enemies of the red white and blue.........it's actually hilarious when not annoying....... don't ever grow up bud, we like you like you are.....
0 Replies

Deecups36

Reply Mon 17 May, 2004 02:48 pm
Had Saddam been forthcoming and open during the inspection process, we wouldn't be finding bombs with Sarin warheads.

Sofia honey, you've gone from one alleged Sarin gas bomb, age and origins unknown, to "finding bombs with Sarin warheads," in the plural.

Will you and brandon be enjoying a glass of the bubbly tonight as you celebrate?

All I'm saying is be careful before you jump to conclusions. The mobile home buildings should've taught you Bushites at very least this much.
0 Replies

Acquiunk

Reply Mon 17 May, 2004 02:49 pm
I pointed out earlier in this thread that these shells have been showing up periodically over the past year. This is not the first one. Secondly whomever attempted to use it did not know (if they knew it was a gas shell) how it worked. So a "heirloom piece" is a good possible explanation.
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Mon 17 May, 2004 02:49 pm
I'm almost flattered by your attention BPB, but it's really not neccessary.
0 Replies

Brandon9000

Reply Mon 17 May, 2004 02:50 pm
Deecups36 wrote:

Sofia honey, you've gone from one alleged Sarin gas bomb, age and origins unknown, to "finding bombs with Sarin warheads," in the plural.

Will you and brandon be enjoying a glass of the bubbly tonight as you celebrate?

All I'm saying is be careful before you jump to conclusions. The mobile home buildings should've taught you Bushites at very least this much.

As I said, I do not believe that finding WMD or not finding them justifies or shows the lack of justification for the invasion. I believe that this is not relevant to whether the invasion was justified, for the reasons stated in several of my posts earlier in this thread.
0 Replies

ebrown p

Reply Mon 17 May, 2004 02:51 pm
Sofia wrote:

Huh???

I thought the very idea of forcing Saddam to be "forthcoming" was was to find any bombs that were there.
0 Replies

Brandon9000

Reply Mon 17 May, 2004 02:52 pm
ebrown_p wrote:
Sofia wrote:

Huh???

I thought the very idea of forcing Saddam to be "forthcoming" was was to find any bombs that were there.

No - had he been forthcoming then, we wouldn't be finding them now when they were alleged to be destroyed.
0 Replies

Deecups36

Reply Mon 17 May, 2004 02:52 pm
brandon- Don't you read your own links? Honey, please start.

The target of the bomb wasn't U.S. troops, but the head of the U.S.-appointed Iraqi Governing Council who was in his car.

For pete's sake, these Bushites are getting sloppy!
0 Replies

Brandon9000

Reply Mon 17 May, 2004 02:56 pm
Acquiunk wrote:
I pointed out earlier in this thread that these shells have been showing up periodically over the past year. This is not the first one. Secondly whomever attempted to use it did not know (if they knew it was a gas shell) how it worked. So a "heirloom piece" is a good possible explanation.

So is the scenario that it was one of Hussein's hidden weapons, that he lied about, set off in all this chaos by people who had not received the proper training.
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Mon 17 May, 2004 02:56 pm
The bomb did not go off from being properly armed -- it went off during the defusing process.
0 Replies

Sofia

Reply Mon 17 May, 2004 02:57 pm
DCup--

You're getting punchy.

The guy who was killed was of prime importance in the transfer to Iraqi independance.

AQ/Ba'athists are doing everything they can to prevent it. It is currently our #1 goal.
0 Replies

Brandon9000

Reply Mon 17 May, 2004 02:59 pm
Deecups36 wrote:
brandon- Don't you read your own links? Honey, please start.

The target of the bomb wasn't U.S. troops, but the head of the U.S.-appointed Iraqi Governing Council who was in his car.

For pete's sake, these Bushites are getting sloppy!

My first post says:

A roadside bomb containing sarin nerve agent also exploded recently near a U.S. military convoy in Baghdad, Brig. Gen. Mark Kimmitt confirmed Monday, saying two explosives experts were treated for "minor exposure" but no serious injuries were reported.
0 Replies

Deecups36

Reply Mon 17 May, 2004 03:01 pm
AQ/Ba'athists are doing everything they can to prevent it. It is currently our #1 goal.

Finally, sofia has said something Deecups36 can agree with.

But, it's not proof of WMD's. It's evidence there are Iraqis who remain loyal to Saddam's regime. Two very different things.
0 Replies