Eric Cantor Ousted By Tea Party

oralloy

Tue 10 Jun, 2014 06:24 pm

http://www.washingtonpost.com/local/virginia-politics/eric-cantor-faces-tea-party-challenge-tuesday/2014/06/10/17da5d20-f092-11e3-bf76-447a5df6411f_story.html

http://www.nationaljournal.com/politics/eric-cantor-falls-to-shock-defeat-in-primary-20140610

I don't get it. I thought he was a Tea Party favorite?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 16 • Views: 6,218 • Replies: 108
Topic Closed

ehBeth

Tue 10 Jun, 2014 06:28 pm
@oralloy,
I just read those two links.

If what they suggest is true, the right could be splintering more/sooner than some have suggested could happen.
0 Replies

bobsal u1553115

Tue 10 Jun, 2014 06:29 pm
@oralloy,
Woo hoooo! That's one. The right Dem can win. Eric didn't win by much last time.
0 Replies

hawkeye10

Tue 10 Jun, 2014 06:35 pm
Can't be, it has been all over the papers this last month that the Tea Party is dead. This is therefore an obvious hoax.

*sarcasm*
hawkeye10

Tue 10 Jun, 2014 06:38 pm
@oralloy,
Quote:
I thought he was a Tea Party favorite?

He was #2 in the house, a part of the establishment that has over the last year been working hard to nullify the Tea Party. He just got schooled on populist politics,.
bobsal u1553115

Tue 10 Jun, 2014 07:01 pm
@hawkeye10,
Hawkeye. Its dead. 2014 will not go well for the GOP/Teapublican/Teabilly/Tea Party. Bet on it. Its will the first time in a very long time the Democratic Party will steamroll an off year election.

The RW has over played it's hand.
bobsal u1553115

Tue 10 Jun, 2014 07:02 pm
@hawkeye10,
No, his monster turned on him. Frankenstein and his monster are both doomed.
hawkeye10

Tue 10 Jun, 2014 07:03 pm
@bobsal u1553115,
bobsal u1553115 wrote:

Hawkeye. Its dead. 2014 will not go well for the GOP/Teapublican/Teabilly/Tea Party. Bet on it. Its will the first time in a very long time the Democratic Party will steamroll an off year election.

The RW has over played it's hand.

And yet almost all the experts go the other way, they say that the D's are going to have to work hard to save their majority in the Senate.
bobsal u1553115

Tue 10 Jun, 2014 07:08 pm
@hawkeye10,
Yeah and Rove, Beck, Dick Morris said Romney by 10 points the night before the election, too. There's quite a few state elections they botched - Virginia comes to mind.
hawkeye10

Tue 10 Jun, 2014 07:20 pm
@bobsal u1553115,
Unless the D's can take the House and keep the Senate, which no one thinks can happen, this election is useless. We are going to have to wait two more years for a possibly meaningful election, and we already know that the Clinton soap opera will be back...... this time running on global warming, the womens victim story, let in all the mexicans who want to come and " I will keep you safe from China".

This show is still over a year away and I am already about ready to barf.

I am pretty much with all the people who have left washington because nothing of positive importance is going to happen there in the foreseeable future.
hawkeye10

Tue 10 Jun, 2014 07:22 pm
@hawkeye10,
BTW, Canter just found out that his income is about to go up at least 1000%. I am sure he must be crying in his beer tonight.
Moment-in-Time

Tue 10 Jun, 2014 07:25 pm
@bobsal u1553115,
Quote:

Wow! What an earthquake!Eric Cantor has fallen! The real issue is the immigration problem. The South is not as partial to immigration reform as the rest of the country and Cantor had tried to straddle this issue.....he tried to please the Tea Party but his *sometime* support for the immigration Dream Act soured him with the Tea Party; hence, his fall tonight.

“Eric Cantor's loss tonight is an apocalyptic moment for the GOP ... the government shutdown, as well as his support for some immigration reforms. ... version of the Dream Act, which would enable some undocumented immigrants to become citizens... "
engineer

Tue 10 Jun, 2014 07:39 pm
@bobsal u1553115,
bobsal u1553115 wrote:

Yeah and Rove, Beck, Dick Morris said Romney by 10 points the night before the election, too. There's quite a few state elections they botched - Virginia comes to mind.

But this time 538.com is calling for a 5-6 seat Republican gain and they got every state in the 2012 election correct.
hawkeye10

Tue 10 Jun, 2014 07:49 pm
@Moment-in-Time,
Moment-in-Time wrote:

Quote:

Wow! What an earthquake!Eric Cantor has fallen! The real issue is the immigration problem. The South is not as partial to immigration reform as the rest of the country and Cantor had tried to straddle this issue.....he tried to please the Tea Party but his *sometime* support for the immigration Dream Act soured him with the Tea Party; hence, his fall tonight.

“Eric Cantor's loss tonight is an apocalyptic moment for the GOP ... the government shutdown, as well as his support for some immigration reforms. ... version of the Dream Act, which would enable some undocumented immigrants to become citizens... "

Quote:
Others had a different take. Longtime Virginia Republican strategist Chris LaCivita said Cantor’s work to build the Republican majority had taken him away from his home district. “He spent days, weeks and months traveling the country, raising money to add to the Republican majority. What can be attributed to Eric in doing so is unquestionable. Unfortunately, it had a price.”

http://www.washingtonpost.com/local/virginia-politics/eric-cantor-faces-tea-party-challenge-tuesday/2014/06/10/17da5d20-f092-11e3-bf76-447a5df6411f_story.html

And he massively misread the situation, his people though he had a 34% advantage over Brat, they never took him seriously.

This is politics 101, and Cantor failed to perform, nothing more to read into it than that. House members must spend time caring and feeding the people back home, the people who stay in the House 20-30 years stay in large part because they do this very very well. Cantor was inept, he deserved to lose.
Moment-in-Time

Tue 10 Jun, 2014 07:53 pm
@Moment-in-Time,
Quote:

Oops! Forgot to post the link for the last paragraph above.

0 Replies

djjd62

Tue 10 Jun, 2014 08:00 pm
politics aside, the man could entertain

Moment-in-Time

Tue 10 Jun, 2014 08:12 pm
@hawkeye10,
Quote:

And he massively misread the situation, his people though he had a 34% advantage over Brat, they never took him seriously.

True, Cantor got his signals mixed.....after 14 years in Congress, I can see how he thought he might win! Cantor had national ambitions and had wanted to appeal to the national electorate by claiming he was for immigration, while simultaneously trying to convince the Tea Party he was still their championing their cause; he surreptitiously sent flyers to the GOP/Tea Party direct mail box heralding his deep and abiding opposition to the immigration Dream Act.....he did not want this flyer to go viral which would show him up as a first-class hypocrite. Cantor tried to have it both ways and this caused the Tea Party to turn against him.
0 Replies

bobsal u1553115

Tue 10 Jun, 2014 08:19 pm
@hawkeye10,
We'll see about that. How about a friendly wager? A pound of primo shelled Texas pecans? What'ya got?

I say the GOP loses the House and doesn't get the Senate.
0 Replies

bobsal u1553115

Tue 10 Jun, 2014 08:22 pm
@hawkeye10,
I think they will take the House. And I don't want Hilliary, either. I like Elizabeth Warner, a LOT!
bobsal u1553115

Tue 10 Jun, 2014 08:24 pm
@hawkeye10,
We'll see. If being out of it is so remunerative, why was he so tied to the job?
0 Replies