Eric Cantor Ousted By Tea Party

maxdancona

Tue 10 Jun, 2014 08:25 pm
It is great news that Eric Cantor lost his primary, but I think this hardly makes up for the difficult situation in which the Democrats find themselves this year.

I do think 2016 is going to be a lot of fun. It looks like the Tea Party hates Hispanics more than the Republican establishment likes winning.
0 Replies

bobsal u1553115

Tue 10 Jun, 2014 08:28 pm
@engineer,
True enough, I think they're too early to use their formulas. I think they're wrong this time.
bobsal u1553115

Tue 10 Jun, 2014 08:30 pm
@djjd62,
I'da posted that in the VA thread.
0 Replies

Moment-in-Time

Tue 10 Jun, 2014 08:40 pm
@engineer,
Quote:
But this time 538.com is calling for a 5-6 seat Republican gain and they got every state in the 2012 election correct.

Yes, this is alarming. They were so right in 2012 that one cannot dismiss them just like that; although, much unforeseen could happen to change the 538.com dynamic.
0 Replies

Baldimo

Tue 10 Jun, 2014 09:04 pm
@bobsal u1553115,
I thought you claimed to be a Republican? Sure sounds like you are a Democrat to me. You still haven't told me what makes you a Republican. Instead you dodged and asked me what I thought a Republican was.

You claim it, tell me how you come to this conclusion. No more word games.
coldjoint

Tue 10 Jun, 2014 09:31 pm
@bobsal u1553115,
Quote:
Its dead. 2014 will not go well for the Democratic/progressives/communists/elitists/liars. Bet on it.

FIXT
0 Replies

bobsal u1553115

Tue 10 Jun, 2014 09:31 pm
Cooter Has A Plan To Unseat Eric Cantor. It's So Crazy It Just Might Work.
Posted: 06/06/2014 9:02 pm EDT Updated: 06/07/2014 9:59 am EDT

Former congressman Ben Jones (D-Ga.), better known as "Cooter" from Dukes of Hazzard, has a plan to knock Eric Cantor out of the House. He's urging his fellow Democrats to cross over and vote for a tea party-backed candidate in Virginia's primary election.

Cooter, who ran against Cantor in 2002, has penned an open letter calling upon Democrats in his former Virginia district to vote in the open primary next Tuesday for tea party opponent Dave Brat in order to defeat U.S. House Majority Leader Cantor.

Crossing party lines to vote in an open primary has a long tradition in the solidly one-party South, Cooter argues in his letter. "y voting for David Brat in the Seventh District Republican primary, we Democrats, independents, and Libertarians can make a big difference in American politics," he argues. "It is your right to cast that vote. It is an 'open' primary and it doesn’t preclude anyone from voting anyway they wish in November. It may be the only way to empower those who want to make a statement about the dysfunctional Congress and 'politics as usual.'"

Below is the open letter by Jones provided to The Huffington Post:

To The Editor:

There was a time not so long ago when the South was called “The Solid South” by the national Democratic Party and the national press. The Republican Party in the South was, where it existed at all, historically on “the disabled list.” The two-party system in the South was “The Democrats who were in, and the Democrats who were out.”

So the action was in the Democratic primary, where the eventual winner was inevitably coronated. So that was where Democrats voted, where Republicans voted, and where independents, libertarians and everybody else voted. The general election in November was an afterthought. It was, after all, a foregone conclusion that the Democrats would win. For many years in Virginia, that was most likely someone connected with the Byrd Machine.

With the shift to Southern Republicanism that began in the South in the 1970’s, the game has changed. But not all that much. Congressional re-districting (in which the inmates decide who is going to run the asylum) has resulted in Virginia having Congressional races for what are clearly “safe seats,” that is, seats drawn by the incumbents, of the incumbents, and for the incumbents. So the general election decision is made in the primaries. Unless there is an unexpected lightning strike, that is simply going to happen. It is the next thing to being disenfranchised.

But by voting for David Brat in the Seventh District Republican primary, we Democrats, independents, and Libertarians can make a big difference in American politics. It is your right to cast that vote. It is an “open” primary and it doesn’t preclude anyone from voting anyway they wish in November. It may be the only way to empower those who want to make a statement about the dysfunctional Congress and “politics as usual.”

From what I know of Dave Brat, he is a good, honest, and honorable man. And from what I know of Eric Cantor, I can say only that he ran a truly dishonorable campaign against me back in 2002. He ducked debates, slandered me in slick mailings, questioned my patriotism and even mocked my Southern heritage. He simply cannot be taken at his word. You can call that “sour grapes” if you want to, but I am just telling it the way it was, and surely is. I can tell you that you will likely hear the same thing from his other former opponents, both Republican and Democrat.

Under Cantor’s Majority Leadership, the Congress has sunk to its lowest public standing in history. Our nation has lost faith in our most important institutions. This is not a laughing matter. It is a national crisis. Eric Cantor should not be rewarded with another term.

Every 7th District voter, Republican, Democrat, Libertarian and Independent can take an historic action on Tuesday, June 10th. A vote for David Brat will be heard not just throughout Washington, D.C. but around the world.

Ben Jones
Washington, Virginia

Jones lost against Cantor in 2002 and with the show that made him famous receding, he got himself into controversy for featuring the Confederate flag during his campaign. Jones played ­mechanic Cooter Davenport in the show; the flag was displayed on the roof of the famous "General Lee".
0 Replies

bobsal u1553115

Tue 10 Jun, 2014 09:33 pm
@Baldimo,
What makes me not a Republican? I say I am and you say I'm not.
coldjoint

Tue 10 Jun, 2014 09:33 pm
@bobsal u1553115,
Quote:
Virginia comes to mind.

So does voter fraud.
0 Replies

bobsal u1553115

Tue 10 Jun, 2014 09:34 pm
George Will Says Being A Rape Victim Is A 'Coveted Status' In College

Columnist George Will thinks that being a rape victim is now a "coveted status" on college campuses.

No, really.

The conservative titan wrote about "the supposed campus epidemic of rape, a.k.a. 'sexual assault,'" in a piece on Friday. He put this trend down to increased political correctness on college campuses, which, he said, was proving that when universities "make victimhood a coveted status that confers privileges, victims proliferate."

Will then used the example of a woman whose experience he recounted would certainly fall under the definition of rape, and continued:

Now the Obama administration is riding to the rescue of “sexual assault” victims. It vows to excavate equities from the ambiguities of the hookup culture, this cocktail of hormones, alcohol and the faux sophistication of today’s prolonged adolescence of especially privileged young adults.

Of course, sexual assault on college campuses is very real.

The reaction was predictable:

George Will, it’s not really cute when you troll about rape.

— Kay Steiger (@kaysteiger) June 9, 2014

Wow. Clearly, George Will has never been sexually assaulted. http://t.co/7ULeYCQUDs h/t @JessicaValenti

— ann friedman (@annfriedman) June 9, 2014

George Will writes about sexual assault on campus and it goes as well as you might expect http://t.co/vcakKhQ6rV

— Blake Hounshell (@blakehounshell) June 9, 2014

George Will also thinks that there is no campus rape epidemic http://t.co/eq5W41STF2
also doesn't get the impact of underreporting on stats

— Tyler Kingkade (@tylerkingkade) June 8, 2014

Apparently if a woman has had sex w/a man consensually, any sex thereafter is assumed to be consensual. http://t.co/nGoNPYoZel

— Amanda Magee (@AmandaMagee) June 9, 2014
coldjoint

Tue 10 Jun, 2014 09:44 pm
@bobsal u1553115,
Quote:
George Will Says Being A Rape Victim Is A 'Coveted Status' In College

Wow. Is he as bad as the Islamists you support. Stop whining about social ills(especially womens) when you are scared to say boo to Muslims.
0 Replies

maxdancona

Tue 10 Jun, 2014 10:03 pm
@bobsal u1553115,
I think George Will has a valid point. I have started another thread on the topic so as not to derail this one.

http://able2know.org/topic/246894-1
0 Replies

OmSigDAVID

Tue 10 Jun, 2014 10:45 pm
@oralloy,
JOY!

David
0 Replies

hawkeye10

Wed 11 Jun, 2014 01:03 am
Quote:
If the House leadership needed a member to take a tough vote, they could convince him that his fears of being targeted were overblown. Members no longer had to worry as much about well-financed groups with communications departments harnessing grass-roots anger and pointing it at them. The problem is that’s not what happened in the Cantor race. Those outside groups didn’t play the role in this race that they have in other races that have been labeled as Tea Party vs. Establishment fights. (Though that didn’t stop them from pretending they had a hand in Brat’s victory.) So the message is the refreshing and reaffirming one that it’s the voters who can turn on you. Brat’s win will encourage more attempts, and whether the Cantor defeat can be replicated elsewhere doesn’t matter. All incumbents will think there is a monster hiding under their bed—and maybe they’re right.

http://www.slate.com/articles/news_and_politics/politics/2014/06/eric_cantor_loses_to_tea_party_s_david_brat_the_house_majority_leader_defeat.html

The message is dont spend all your time on Washington political football while neglecting your district. " You work for us, asshole!" is the message.
hawkeye10

Wed 11 Jun, 2014 01:23 am
@hawkeye10,
Quote:
"It certainly upsets the balance of power inside the Republican conference. And combined with the results last week in Mississippi, it sends a pretty strong signal that while money matters, voters may matter more, and people have to have a little respect for the right of the voter to have attention paid to them, and the right of the voter to throw people out if their not happy with them," added Gingrich, a 2012 Republican presidential candidate and co-host of CNN's "Crossfire."

http://www.cnn.com/2014/06/11/politics/cantor-upset-analysis/index.html?hpt=hp_t1

Not that Gingrich was ever any good at servicing his district mind you, but he seems to have gotten wiser with age.
0 Replies

Brandon9000

Wed 11 Jun, 2014 05:38 am
It simply means that a lot of people agree with Brat's platform. Imagine that, some people are conservative.
woiyo

Wed 11 Jun, 2014 06:23 am
@Brandon9000,
Being fiscally responsible is really not a "conservative value". It is a responsible value. Far too many long time members of the Senate and House need to be replaced with new folks who are fiscally responsible. Cantor served to 15 years and apparently is part of the problem so it is time for him to go.

Hopefully, others like Pelosi, Boehner, Reid, et al.. will also get their walking papers from the people.
0 Replies

revelette2

Wed 11 Jun, 2014 08:17 am
If Cantor lost a primary in a Presidential election, then this would be a good thing for democrats. I am not sure a democrat would win against a tea party favorite because of the immigration issue. It is also bad news for the immigration legislation.
0 Replies

Baldimo

Wed 11 Jun, 2014 08:22 am
@bobsal u1553115,
There you go again. I'm just asking for your explanation on what makes you a Republican? Saying so doesn't make it so. I'm interested.
0 Replies

Real Music

Wed 11 Jun, 2014 09:01 am
I am hoping and praying that the Dems take back the House this November. I just fear that the way the voting districts are drawn up (jerrymandering), that will prove to be very difficult. Although the House Dems got more votes than the House Republicans in the last election, the jerrymandered districts gave control of the House to the Republicans. I do believe the Dems will keep the Senate. Who knows, maybe if the Tea Party continues to take over the Republican party, maybe the democrats can overcome those jerrymandered districts and retake the House. Wow, I still can't believe that a far far far right wing republican like Eric Cantor is not far enough to the right for the Tea Party. Now that's EXTREME.