Eric Cantor Ousted By Tea Party

Advocate

Mon 16 Jun, 2014 12:40 pm
Part of Cantor's defeat is due to backlash at banks.

http://progressive.org/news/2014/06/187734/cantors-loss-part-backlash-against-banks
Baldimo

Mon 16 Jun, 2014 01:11 pm
@Advocate,
Well the left should be mad at the Dems for that one. The GOP just about voted as a whole to not bail the banks out. The Dems on the other hand just about all voted to give taxpayer money to the banks. Who's really a friend of the banks?

engineer

Mon 16 Jun, 2014 01:40 pm
@Baldimo,
The article did not say voters were mad at the bailout (although they didn't say they weren't), it referred to post bailout actions that Cantor took.

Quote:
"All the investment banks up in DC, New York, those guys should have gone to jail," he told the group. "Instead of going to jail, where did they go? They went out to Eric's Rolodex."

That said, I think this is Monday morning quarterbacking. I doubt many voters were thinking about Cantor's close ties to Wall Street when in the voting booth. It's all just speculation after the fact.
0 Replies

Lash

Mon 16 Jun, 2014 04:32 pm
@coldjoint,
I disagree. If they needed to give that crazy dude a Golden Carrot to get him to move toward peace with Israel - and he did it, knowing he'd take it on the chin with his people - it was a good choice, imo.

He got it for something he actually did - not for some lame ass non-reason.
coldjoint

Mon 16 Jun, 2014 09:16 pm
@Lash,
Quote:
to get him to move toward peace with Israel

Or give legitimacy to Palestine and terrorism. Bad move.
Lash

Mon 16 Jun, 2014 09:40 pm
@coldjoint,
I think if you put yourself and a facsimile of your nation-story over the Palestine situation, you may have a more balanced view.

They are legitimate.
coldjoint

Mon 16 Jun, 2014 09:46 pm
@Lash,
Quote:
They are legitimate.

As of 1967?
Lash

Mon 16 Jun, 2014 09:58 pm
@coldjoint,
Legally or morally...? Morally, there is a legitimate argument over who belongs to that land. If I were a Palestinian, I'd be fighting for it. Of course, if I were a Jew, I'd be doing the same.

I definitely don't fault you for having a favorite. I do, too. But, regarding one side as illegitimate, I think, merits rebuttal.
coldjoint

Mon 16 Jun, 2014 10:12 pm
@Lash,
Quote:
If I were a Palestinian, I'd be fighting for it.

Against and around children? With suicide bombs? We should reopen a Palestine thread, they have some questions you could try and answer.
0 Replies