What is hell?

Butrflynet

Reply Sun 15 Jun, 2014 06:01 pm
0 Replies

Enaj

Reply Sun 15 Jun, 2014 06:03 pm
@Advocate,
Quote:
It was the Romans who crucified Jesus, not the Jews. There is a baseless claim that the Jews informed on Jesus. However, this is absolutely unsupported. Moreover, this claim has been used to justify Jewish persecution.

Yes, and unjustifiably so. The Jews did not crucify Jesus, it was the Romans.
Yet the Jews suffered for what the Romans did. How evil is that? And sadly, also by those that say they are Christians, today, and in the past.
0 Replies

Enaj

Reply Sun 15 Jun, 2014 06:13 pm
@worldtraveler24,
Quote:
The beautiful thing about the life that God has given each one of us is that He gave us a mind to choose to believe in Him or not. The only problem is that if you choose not to believe in Him you can live your life, 50 years, 60 years 70 years or maybe less for some of us--but there are consequences to face after death: Is that too hard to conceive? If you acted out of line when you were a kid didn't your parents punish you? If you commit crimes are there not any consequences? How is your life's choices any different? You think that because you don't want to believe in a hell it makes it go away? That sounds like you really should "Buzz off Nutter-butter.... And BTW, please take your medicine. Your schizophrenia is showing."

So as a parent if your child does something wrong would you send him somewhere where he can burn and suffer forever? And if so wouldn't that be thought of a extremely cruel? And that you would be thought by all as an unfit parent? Think about it, would such a God be worthy of worship?
The consequences is death.....the dead do not know anything, until resurrected. They do not burn in hell.
Hell means to cover over, like covering over a grave. Hell means grave.
0 Replies

Enaj

Reply Sun 15 Jun, 2014 06:29 pm
@worldtraveler24,
Quote:
The Roman were in change and the Jews were under Roman rule--of course the Romans physically crucified Him at the Jews request. The Jews own this one no doubt about it.

Are you saying that the Romans had no choice in the matter? They were the rulers over the Jews. There was no law that said they had to do what the Jews wanted, is there. The Romans could have said no, this man is not guilty and not crucified him. But they did not. It was up to the Romans and it was Romans that killed him. No doubt about it. And then later the Roman Universal church made hell on earth for the Jews for centuries for what they themselves had done, how evil is that?!
0 Replies

thack45

Reply Sun 15 Jun, 2014 07:42 pm
Hell is the absence of god. It sounds wonderful

Expecting a funnier post than the third one on the first page is a pretty turrible time though
0 Replies

worldtraveler24

Reply Mon 16 Jun, 2014 07:47 am
@Enaj,
Enaj,

I appreciate your post but it is obvious that you don't understand the scripture. Jesus said, and to quote directly from your post, " When ye have lifted up the Son of man, then shall ye know that I am he, and that I do nothing of myself; but as my Father hath taught me, I speak these things."

No one was questioning whether He was the son of man... he was born of Mary. All knew that He was the son of man--so are you and so am I...we are all sons/daughters of man: The flesh of our body is a product of man. That is not a divine revelation.

What he said was that when the son of man or the body in which Jesus inhabited be lifted up... or put on the cross... then you will know that I am HE--who? God. WHY? Because He was raised from the dead the third day. What man has ever rasied Himself from the dead? That is the proper grammar and the correct understanding. The Roman solider even said when Jesus died that surly this man was the son of GOD...not son of man. Don't be confused about the deity and humanity of Jesus Christ. He was both --born of women who was overshadowed by GOD. Jesus Christ was God in the flesh. Can you not see that? Why is it that Jesus said that "Before Abraham was I am?" Let me know what Jesus meant with that statement please!
neologist

Reply Mon 16 Jun, 2014 10:23 am
Whatever hell is, it's apparent you don't have to die to get there.
izzythepush

Reply Mon 16 Jun, 2014 11:22 am
A holiday at the seaside, in Jaywick.
http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2013/04/03/article-2303489-19103975000005DC-57_964x637.jpg
0 Replies

Enaj

Reply Mon 16 Jun, 2014 05:19 pm
@worldtraveler24,
What you have failed to understand here is that Jesus was telling them that he is the Messiah that was expected, the one who would die for their sins if they were to repent and accept him as their savior. He was not saying that he is God when he said I am he, but the Son of God. The Son of man, the Messiah. This is especially obvious when later in the verse he says.."he that sent me is true"meaning God sent him, and " heard of him" meaning God, and then speaks of the Father. Nowhere does he say that he is God.

Now...back to hell???Please? Maybe you could take this to a Jesus is God thread?

.John 8:21-30

21Then said Jesus again unto them, I go my way, and ye shall seek me, and shall die in your sins: whither I go, ye cannot come. 22Then said the Jews, Will he kill himself? because he saith, Whither I go, ye cannot come. 23And he said unto them, Ye are from beneath; I am from above: ye are of this world; I am not of this world. 24I said therefore unto you, that ye shall die in your sins: for if ye believe not that I am he, ye shall die in your sins. 25Then said they unto him, Who art thou? And Jesus saith unto them, Even the same that I said unto you from the beginning. 26I have many things to say and to judge of you: but he that sent me is true; and I speak to the world those things which I have heard of him. 27They understood not that he spake to them of the Father. 28Then said Jesus unto them, When ye have lifted up the Son of man, then shall ye know that I am he, and that I do nothing of myself; but as my Father hath taught me, I speak these things. 29And he that sent me is with me: the Father hath not left me alone; for I do always those things that please him. 30As he spake these words, many believed on him.
0 Replies

Enaj

Reply Mon 16 Jun, 2014 05:21 pm
@neologist,
Obviously. Very Happy
0 Replies

neologist

Reply Thu 17 Sep, 2015 10:09 am
Posted by hingehead in another forum earlier today:

https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/736x/e5/bf/e8/e5bfe897c1b8fb21c7f1d957de8c2c63.jpg
InfraBlue

Reply Thu 17 Sep, 2015 06:00 pm
@neologist,
Pretty desperate to post something that refutes your own argument as well.
neologist

Reply Thu 17 Sep, 2015 06:07 pm
@InfraBlue,
You realize the assertion #3 did not come about until after the Christian texts were written. There is nothing in the teachings of Jesus or the apostolic writings to support the idea of eternal punishment.
ossobuco

Reply Thu 17 Sep, 2015 06:15 pm
@neologist,
Cough...

humor thread here
neologist

Reply Thu 17 Sep, 2015 06:21 pm
@ossobuco,
Gesundheit!
I should have paid better attention.
But I do find the ubiquitous hell belief to be, if not humorous, at least absurd.
0 Replies

InfraBlue

Reply Thu 17 Sep, 2015 09:50 pm
@neologist,
And in turn, that's your assertion.

Ideas of eternal punishment came about by conflation of the various canonical texts concerning Gehenna and Tartarus.
neologist

Reply Fri 18 Sep, 2015 12:53 am
@InfraBlue,
InfraBlue wrote:
And in turn, that's your assertion.
Ideas of eternal punishment came about by conflation of the various canonical texts concerning Gehenna and Tartarus.

Came about.. . .

Sorry, Osso.
0 Replies

Theorema

Reply Fri 18 Sep, 2015 02:45 am
One man who all his life has been working at the factory as a simple mechanic passes away. He appears before Gabriel. The Archangel says: Well, there is some problem with your next destination. You are precisely 50% good and 50% bad. It is for the first time in my experience... Eventually the council of Archangels offers a smart decision - to show in the Mechanic to the both Hell and Paradise. So the man could choose the place he'd like the most. At first he is taken to the Heaven: Salubrious air, green hills and dotted valleys full of roses; some people play flutes., the other stroke harps strings. Beautiful birds are singing, fish are jumping. Well, - thinks the mechanic, - everything is nice, but... Let us see the Underworld! So he's introduced into something like factory WC. Here he sees a lot of guys standing liquid **** up to their knees. They are telling to each other naughty jokes, laughing, smoking - being actually at ease. The mechanics contentedly nods: This!!
Gabriel shrugs his shoulders - This is Your choice! and slowly disappears...
Mechanic lights a cigarette, just about to tell a new raunchy anecdote, when suddenly out of nowhere appears the devil blowing a horn and commands: Stop smoking break! - Go Deep! Schnelle!
Setanta

Reply Fri 18 Sep, 2015 02:54 am
@Theorema,
Well, you screwed up an old and good joke. Maybe it's funny that way in German.
Theorema

Reply Fri 18 Sep, 2015 03:06 am
@Setanta,
May be You are right. But what is bad - Grammar, Vocabulary, using Idioms?