What is hell?

worldtraveler24

Reply Fri 13 Jun, 2014 09:58 am
@Wilso,
Read John 8:24. Do you not understand that is why the Jews crucified Jesus on the cross? He claimed to be God --it was blasphemy according to their law. Jesus said that He is the Way the Truth and the Life. He said that before Abraham was, I am. He claimed to be God in that one statement. The Father is simply the Spirit of God. Jesus the man was the body he inhabited.
Setanta

Reply Fri 13 Jun, 2014 10:06 am
Leaving aside that one has no way of knowing that what passes for scripture in your silly superstition is actually what the putative Jesus said, interpreting it to mean what it does not explicitly say is not kind of argument at all.
0 Replies

Romeo Fabulini

Reply Fri 13 Jun, 2014 10:15 am
Quote:
WorldTraveller wrote: Jesus said that before Abraham was, I am. He claimed to be God in that one statement

That's open to debate. For example he also said-
"Father you loved me before the creation of the world" (John 17:24)
which indicates he was separate from God..
worldtraveler24

Reply Fri 13 Jun, 2014 10:23 am
@Romeo Fabulini,
it means that the office of the son was in the mind of God and He loved the idea of the son ship--in the beginning was the Word, the Word was with God and the Word was God....how do you explain that one? Who was the Word? Do we now have four persons in the Godhead?
0 Replies

Olivier5

Reply Fri 13 Jun, 2014 11:53 am
@Finn dAbuzz,

Quote:
For me an exception to this "rule" would be a book store. I rarely, if ever, leave without a book, but I don't visit one to snare a book and leave. If I happen to leave without one it was still a pleasurable time spent.

My wife [...] hates to go to a book store with me. She always wants to leave long before I do, and that's the way I feel about shopping with her.

Same here. I also like flea markets and thrift shops...
0 Replies

Advocate

Reply Fri 13 Jun, 2014 12:59 pm
@worldtraveler24,
worldtraveler24 wrote:

Read John 8:24. Do you not understand that is why the Jews crucified Jesus on the cross? He claimed to be God --it was blasphemy according to their law. Jesus said that He is the Way the Truth and the Life. He said that before Abraham was, I am. He claimed to be God in that one statement. The Father is simply the Spirit of God. Jesus the man was the body he inhabited.

It was the Romans who crucified Jesus, not the Jews. There is a baseless claim that the Jews informed on Jesus. However, this is absolutely unsupported. Moreover, this claim has been used to justify Jewish persecution.
worldtraveler24

Reply Fri 13 Jun, 2014 01:04 pm
@tsarstepan,
The beautiful thing about the life that God has given each one of us is that He gave us a mind to choose to believe in Him or not. The only problem is that if you choose not to believe in Him you can live your life, 50 years, 60 years 70 years or maybe less for some of us--but there are consequences to face after death: Is that too hard to conceive? If you acted out of line when you were a kid didn't your parents punish you? If you commit crimes are there not any consequences? How is your life's choices any different? You think that because you don't want to believe in a hell it makes it go away? That sounds like you really should "Buzz off Nutter-butter.... And BTW, please take your medicine. Your schizophrenia is showing."
worldtraveler24

Reply Fri 13 Jun, 2014 01:11 pm
@Advocate,
Advocate, perhaps you are right about being used to persecute the Jews; however, nobody here is persecuting the Jews.

As far as unfounded you obviously have never studied the subject because if you had it would be evident that Pilate condemned Jesus because the Jews chose Barabbas over Jesus. They were the ones crying "crucify Him crucify him." There is no evidence that the Romans ( gentiles )wanted Him dead. In fact Pilate said "Why, what evil hath He done? I find no fault in Him" The Roman were in change and the Jews were under Roman rule--of course the Romans physically crucified Him at the Jews request. The Jews own this one no doubt about it.
Finn dAbuzz

Reply Fri 13 Jun, 2014 02:07 pm
@worldtraveler24,
Quote:
The Jews own this one no doubt about it.

Those Jews, perhaps, at that particular time and within that particular political environment. The Jews are not responsible for the death of Jesus.

I am neither Jewish nor Christian, but your statement is offensive and clearly anti-Semitic. It's kind of crap that leads to the bigoted attitudes, in this forum, towards Christians.
0 Replies

Wilso

Reply Fri 13 Jun, 2014 05:12 pm
I want the humour back.
ossobuco

Reply Fri 13 Jun, 2014 05:58 pm
@Wilso,
Thank you, Wilso,

We now have anarchic thread sloppers.

0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Fri 13 Jun, 2014 06:18 pm
“The blessed in the kingdom of heaven will see the punishments of the damned, in order that their bliss be more delightful for them.”
― Thomas Aquinas
0 Replies

tsarstepan

Reply Fri 13 Jun, 2014 06:35 pm
@Wilso,
Wilso wrote:

I want the humour back.

This please. ((silently whispers a prayer to our lord and savior Cthulhu!))
0 Replies

Romeo Fabulini

Reply Sat 14 Jun, 2014 06:21 am
Quote:
WorldTraveler said to me: it means that the office of the son was in the mind of God and He loved the idea of the son ship--in the beginning was the Word, the Word was with God and the Word was God....how do you explain that one? Who was the Word? Do we now have four persons in the Godhead?

I don't know and I don't really care..Smile
Don't get too obsessed with all that deep convoluted theological stuff or Satan will be chuckling at having distracted you.
Paul had to warn people-"I'm worried lest you be led astray from the simplicity of Christ" (2 Cor 11:3)

For example I knew a young street preacher in Leicester England some years ago, he talked good sense and drew a lot of people, but then he joined a Baptist Church and became a minister and now he seems to have gone bananas because instead of keeping it light like he used to, he's now cluttering and tiring his mind with too much study, and Satan loves a tired mind because it's easy meat for him.
glitterbag

Reply Sat 14 Jun, 2014 11:48 pm
@Romeo Fabulini,
Apparently, hell is what happens after a number of folks make light-hearted remarks describing what makes their lives a living hell, and then the uber believers show up to tell everyone they are damned to burn in hell in perpetuity.
Then the day gets really hellish, because a few think God doesn't have a sense of humor, so the circle remains unbroken.
0 Replies

Romeo Fabulini

Reply Sun 15 Jun, 2014 05:14 am
Quote:
Edgar quotes Thomas Aquinas: “The blessed in the kingdom of heaven will see the punishments of the damned, in order that their bliss be more delightful for them.”

The bible doesn't say that, so Thomas Aquinas is talking bollox, whoever he is..Smile
Wilso

Reply Sun 15 Jun, 2014 05:26 am
@Romeo Fabulini,
Romeo Fabulini wrote:

Quote:
Edgar quotes Thomas Aquinas: “The blessed in the kingdom of heaven will see the punishments of the damned, in order that their bliss be more delightful for them.”

The bible doesn't say that, so Thomas Aquinas is talking bollox, whoever he is..Smile

I didn't read the part where anyone claimed it was from the bible. But I wouldn't want to see you change the habit of a lifetime and stop being a stupid dumbfuck **********. Carry on.
0 Replies

Romeo Fabulini

Reply Sun 15 Jun, 2014 05:40 am
I've just googled: "Thomas Aquinas, (1225 – 1274), an Italian Dominican friar and priest and an immensely influential philosopher and theologian in the tradition of scholasticism"

so he was a well-educated philosopher and scholar which just goes to prove that a fool with diplomas and degrees is still just a fool because they know jack about the things that really matter..Wink
Jesus said:- "I thank you Father for hiding these things from the wise and learned,and for revealing them to little children" (Matt 11:25-27)

In fact the snooty priests used to hassle Jesus for spending too much time with ordinary simple folk so he told them "On yer bikes!"

http://i53.photobucket.com/albums/g64/PoorOldSpike/jesus-another-runin_zpsd1d47484.jpg~original
0 Replies

Enaj

Reply Sun 15 Jun, 2014 05:39 pm
@worldtraveler24,
Quote:
ou guys are all confused. You say it is a fun forum - I understood that from the start--that is why I said what I did at the beginning of my post. I simply said that there are a lot of other topics that would render themselves more for jocularity than the subject of hell. That is the reason for my post. You guys think it is funny to joke about hell and I simply was letting you know that one day for most of you it will be no laughing matter-- that is all!! I just wish I could get across to you the gravity of hell. I guarantee you if you could visit and then come back you would never joke about the place again.

Does this mean that you have been there? being that you seem to know so much about it?
0 Replies

Enaj

Reply Sun 15 Jun, 2014 05:55 pm
@worldtraveler24,
Quote:

This is what it actually says...John 8:21-30

21Then said Jesus again unto them, I go my way, and ye shall seek me, and shall die in your sins: whither I go, ye cannot come. 22Then said the Jews, Will he kill himself? because he saith, Whither I go, ye cannot come. 23And he said unto them, Ye are from beneath; I am from above: ye are of this world; I am not of this world. 24I said therefore unto you, that ye shall die in your sins: for if ye believe not that I am he, ye shall die in your sins. 25Then said they unto him, Who art thou? And Jesus saith unto them, Even the same that I said unto you from the beginning. 26I have many things to say and to judge of you: but he that sent me is true; and I speak to the world those things which I have heard of him. 27They understood not that he spake to them of the Father. 28Then said Jesus unto them, When ye have lifted up the Son of man, then shall ye know that I am he, and that I do nothing of myself; but as my Father hath taught me, I speak these things. 29And he that sent me is with me: the Father hath not left me alone; for I do always those things that please him. 30As he spake these words, many believed on him.

When he spoke of ..." that I am he" he was saying that he is the "Son of man."
Nowhere in these verses does he say that he is God.

Also, hell means to cover over, it is the grave.