What is hell?

worldtraveler24

Reply Thu 12 Jun, 2014 01:57 pm
Sorry to interrupt your jesting-- I won't pour out any more of my insanity on your subject of humor-- hell. But, if you insist on making a joke about it keep in mind that if there is no hell then why did Jesus himself make several references to hell as a real place? Will you also be one who rejects the teachings of Jesus? Jesus said emphatically that if you do not believe that He is GOD you will die in your sins. I guess if you don't believe in Jesus there is not hope--but after all is that not what hell is?
izzythepush

Reply Thu 12 Jun, 2014 02:41 pm
@worldtraveler24,
worldtraveler24 wrote:

Sorry to interrupt your jesting--

I should bloody well think so, don't do it again.
0 Replies

Olivier5

Reply Thu 12 Jun, 2014 03:01 pm
@Setanta,
Quote:
I wasn't saying, "you too," i was saying you rather than me.

No... You just said that I "should look in the mirror". No mention of "you rather than me" in there. You must have dreamed it...
Setanta

Reply Thu 12 Jun, 2014 03:36 pm
@Olivier5,
Once again, your paltry command of English fails you.
Wilso

Reply Thu 12 Jun, 2014 03:40 pm
@tsarstepan,
The shopping difference between men and women is really simple.

A man will pay $2 for a $1 item that he needs.

A woman will pay $1 for a $2 item that she doesn't need if it's on sale.

Sorry ladies Smile
Setanta

Reply Thu 12 Jun, 2014 03:43 pm
Hehehehehehehe . . .
0 Replies

Olivier5

Reply Thu 12 Jun, 2014 04:25 pm
@Setanta,
Ouch! That cut deep...
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Thu 12 Jun, 2014 04:45 pm
@Wilso,
I guess I'm manly..

I was a shopaholic once, before that was a word. My family went from middle class security to continuing problems for my father getting work (long story) through my teenage years and beyond. I got through university because back then it was free and I was admitted to it, lived at home, worked to pay for books, etc.

So - when I got my first full time job later, I went wild, or sort of wild. There was a then great shopping area by the university that I'd only window-shopped in before that job, that on my way to the bus stop to go to my after school job. Not a sob story, just that shopping was rare. I sewed back then a lot of my own clothes, usually during the summer.

For something like three years after I got that job, I went to boutiques, followed fashions, blah blah. I remember that one day, in a shop I can visualize but not remember the name of, that I figured out that my fun was picking out the item and bringing it almost swinging to the counter. Walking out the door was the start of the downhill - that's good, I can't wait to get home. Then, it's ok. I think I need a (-----).

I stopped, both because I saw myself doing all that, and also because an arty pal (degrees in chemistry and art) introduced me to thrift shops. Never looked back. Well, sort of - I did read Vogue and all those and later followed some fashion blogs just to see what was going on - but I'm pretty separate from all that, as you could tell with a glimpse on any given day at what the hell I'm wearing.
0 Replies

neologist

Reply Thu 12 Jun, 2014 05:04 pm
@Wilso,
Brilliant observation! Laughing
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Thu 12 Jun, 2014 05:07 pm
I have found that in general, women enjoy shopping more than men and are not particularly disappointed if they don't come away with a purchase. For them it's like fishing is to a lot of men: an enjoyable day on a boat or on the banks of a river made even more enjoyable if fish are caught, but still a pleasurable experience if they are not.

Whereas for most men not leaving with a purchase is disappointing because that was the whole purpose of the exercise to begin with.

For me an exception to this "rule" would be a book store. I rarely, if ever, leave without a book, but I don't visit one to snare a book and leave. If I happen to leave without one it was still a pleasurable time spent.

My wife enjoys books quite a lot (although the vast majority of the ones she reads are electronic) but she hates to go to a book store with me. She always wants to leave long before I do, and that's the way I feel about shopping with her.

We rarely shop together in the same store, because she doesn't want to make me miserable by staying too long (not out of any great degree of consideration for my state of mind, but because she doesn't want to look at my sour face after what she considers a short period of time Smile ) and I don't want to spoil her fun by making the sour faces which I simply can't help...I also don't want to be looking at women's clothes for more than fifteen minute.
Enaj

Reply Thu 12 Jun, 2014 05:40 pm
@worldtraveler24,
Quote:
Jesus said emphatically that if you do not believe that He is GOD you will die in your sins

Where.
0 Replies

Wilso

Reply Thu 12 Jun, 2014 06:45 pm
@worldtraveler24,
worldtraveler24 wrote:

Sorry to interrupt your jesting-- I won't pour out any more of my insanity on your subject of humor-- hell. But, if you insist on making a joke about it keep in mind that if there is no hell then why did Jesus himself make several references to hell as a real place? Will you also be one who rejects the teachings of Jesus? Jesus said emphatically that if you do not believe that He is GOD you will die in your sins. I guess if you don't believe in Jesus there is not hope--but after all is that not what hell is?

Jesus christ, another of Romeo's fuckwit crowd.
ossobuco

Reply Thu 12 Jun, 2014 06:51 pm
@Wilso,
Too dumb to figure out it is a humor/humour thread, even though it is tagged that way.
Wilso

Reply Thu 12 Jun, 2014 08:26 pm
@ossobuco,
ossobuco wrote:

Too dumb to figure out it is a humor/humour thread, even though it is tagged that way.

Glad to see the "correct" English spelling there. Wink
ossobuco

Reply Thu 12 Jun, 2014 08:33 pm
@Wilso,
I'm odd.. an american who tends to like brit/canadian/australian spelling - and not only for the use of 'u's, but also liking two ll's in traveller (and similar). I switch back and forth, mostly use the american spellings because of spellcheck.
0 Replies

Wilso

Reply Thu 12 Jun, 2014 08:48 pm
I can see the logic in American spelling, but the Brit type is too deeply ingrained for me to change.
0 Replies

Romeo Fabulini

Reply Fri 13 Jun, 2014 06:05 am
Quote:
WorldTraveller said: Jesus said emphatically that if you do not believe that He is GOD you will die in your sins.
Wilso said: Jesus christ, another of Romeo's fuckwit crowd.

Wait a minute, I don't agree with what WorldTraveller said because Jesus never said that!..Smile
worldtraveler24

Reply Fri 13 Jun, 2014 09:49 am
@Romeo Fabulini,
You guys are all confused. You say it is a fun forum - I understood that from the start--that is why I said what I did at the beginning of my post. I simply said that there are a lot of other topics that would render themselves more for jocularity than the subject of hell. That is the reason for my post. You guys think it is funny to joke about hell and I simply was letting you know that one day for most of you it will be no laughing matter-- that is all!! I just wish I could get across to you the gravity of hell. I guarantee you if you could visit and then come back you would never joke about the place again.
tsarstepan

Reply Fri 13 Jun, 2014 09:52 am
@worldtraveler24,
Buzz off Nutter-butter.... And BTW, please take your medicine. Your schizophrenia is showing.
Romeo Fabulini

Reply Fri 13 Jun, 2014 09:58 am
@worldtraveler24,
In another forum a few years ago I described what hell could really be like, and it genuinely upset some of the more timid members of the forum because it was so horrible.
I felt bad about upsetting them so I cheered them up by saying- "It's alright, if you're true Christians you've absolutely no need to worry about hell because you won't be going there"..Smile
0 Replies