Nope, its the other one...
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Wed 21 Jun, 2006 04:59 pm
I don't recall the other one at all.
0 Replies

Greyfan

Reply Thu 22 Jun, 2006 04:32 am
She was the shy, dark-haired one. The character name was Bailey Quarters.....the actress was Jan Smithers.

Here is a self-described drooling fan page (not mine):

http://www.clothmonkey.com/smithers.htm
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Thu 22 Jun, 2006 05:02 am
Bailey. I had forgotten she was a character in the show. I never saw the reruns, and it's been a long time.
0 Replies

makemeshiver33

Reply Thu 22 Jun, 2006 10:11 am
I remember her...I had forgotten she was married to Brolin...
0 Replies

Greyfan

Reply Sat 24 Jun, 2006 08:17 pm
Here's another WKRP spin off question.

One of the other series regulars went on to do a show set in New Orleans. His character had inherited a restaurant. The show was not a hit, but should have been.

Who is the actor, and what was the name of the show?
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sat 24 Jun, 2006 08:42 pm
I recall the guy playing Venus Flytrap had a failed show, but didn't watch much of it, don't recall if that's the one you are after.
0 Replies

Greyfan

Reply Mon 26 Jun, 2006 07:26 pm
Close enough.

The actor was Tim Reid; the show was called "Frank's Place". Did not last a full season, sadly.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Mon 26 Jun, 2006 07:27 pm
Does anyone here agree with me that Brace Beemer is the Lone Ranger, not Clayton Moore?
0 Replies

Equus

Reply Wed 28 Jun, 2006 10:02 am
Brace Beemer was a radio Lone Ranger, maybe the original. Clayton Moore was the TV Lone Ranger, and maybe a late radio portrayer.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Wed 28 Jun, 2006 11:33 am
Brace Beemer was the radio Lone Ranger from its inception, through the entire run. He took off for a time (illness, I think), but was reinstated. He had such a fine, rich voice. I was frankly disappointed the first time I heard Clayton Moore speak. BB was the real item, for me.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Fri 30 Jun, 2006 05:08 am
I recall reading somewhere that Beulah, the black lady maid, was originally played on radio by a white man. I need to research that character. I think she was originally a marginal character on Fibber McGee and Molly.
0 Replies

Greyfan

Reply Fri 30 Jun, 2006 04:06 pm
Tonto on the radio was played by a white guy too.

But for best Lone Ranger, my preference is Clayton Moore, only because I grew up in the early television era rather than radio. My Dad was a Brace Beemer fan. He drove us past the Beemer "ranch" in horse country in the Metamora area north of Detroit once. (The radio show originated at station WXYZ in Motown). In listening to the radio shows now, I was surprised to learn that the Lone Ranger was as likely to call Tonto "Kemo Sabe" as the other way around--as I recall, on television only Jay Silverheels used the phrase.

Does anybody remember what kemo sabe meant? (And the alternate translation, according to Far Side cartoonist Gary Larson?)
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Fri 30 Jun, 2006 05:21 pm
I read that Kemo Sabe means "Trusted scout."
On the Jack Kirkwood show, it was the Solo Stranger. Pronto always would say, "Know what you do when you say that, Kemo Slobber? Slobber."
0 Replies

Equus

Reply Wed 5 Jul, 2006 09:52 am
There is disagreement about "Kemosabe". According to a 1916 Smithsonian Institute report, Kemosabe is a Tewa Indian word meaning "Apache Friend".

In Yavapai, Kemosabe is close to words meaning "White Shirt" or "One who is white".

But Jim Jewell, the original director of the Lone Ranger radio show, said that the word came from a boy's summer camp near Mackinac, Mich "Kamp Kee-Mo Sah-Bee", which supposedly meant "Trusty Scout".

http://www.write101.com/kemosabe.htm
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Fri 7 Jul, 2006 04:55 am
Anybody remember the radio show in which The Lone Ranger was called on by some old war buddies, who were hoping to rekindle the Civil War? In the end, they visited with Robert E Lee, who talked them out of it.
0 Replies

Equus

Reply Fri 7 Jul, 2006 09:46 am
I don't know that episode- this was radio, right? Do you know what the episode title was? It sounds interesting.

Not to change the subject- but whenever I listen to an "Amos 'n' Andy" show, it features Andy and the Kingfish. Where is Amos? I feel rather certain that Amos is a different character- although voiced by the same actor as the Kingfish. Was Amos ignored by scriptwriters in favor of the Kingfish?
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Fri 7 Jul, 2006 11:14 am
Once Kingfish got introduced, Amos took a back seat.
0 Replies

Equus

Reply Mon 14 Aug, 2006 12:48 pm
What TV show took over the time slot when the Smothers Brothers were cancelled?
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Mon 14 Aug, 2006 04:50 pm
Wasn't it the guy who sings, "I am a lineman for the county?" A show with his name? Ah, yes. The senior moment passes. I think it might be the Glenn Campbell Show.
0 Replies