Name that Radio/tv show

Ragman

Reply Wed 20 Sep, 2006 10:36 am
edgarblythe wrote:
I didn't think anybody would get that one so quickly.

I just now looked it up because I was curious.
" Ted Cassidy (Live-action TV 1964-1966, 1977)
Jack Voglin (Live-action TV 1964-1966, 1977) (when Thing and Lurch had to both appear) "
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Wed 20 Sep, 2006 10:44 am
In my book, Voglin gets no mention. Just shows one ought to check more than one source, even in matters of this nature.
0 Replies

Ragman

Reply Wed 20 Sep, 2006 10:46 am
Here's an Addams Family question for 'ya: Who's playing the harpsichord when Lurch is shown in the TV series?
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Wed 20 Sep, 2006 10:52 am
I haven't the foggiest, without Googling.
0 Replies

Equus

Reply Wed 20 Sep, 2006 10:54 am
Ragman wrote:
Here's an Addams Family question for 'ya: Who's playing the harpsichord when Lurch is shown in the TV series?

I believe that Ted Cassidy did. I think I heard he was an accomplished harpsichord player, not just a pretty face.
0 Replies

Ragman

Reply Wed 20 Sep, 2006 10:57 am
no prob.. Incidentally, I only looked up Addams Family after I answered the question the first time. I looked up the second name which was provided from Wikipedia.

Ted Cassidy himself actually played the harpsichord. Also, found out that he was 6 ft 9 inches tall.

WTG Equus. Now it's your turn.
0 Replies

Equus

Reply Sat 30 Sep, 2006 10:55 am
What was the first television drama (not a newscast or event) to air a program in color? (December, 1953)
0 Replies

Ragman

Reply Sat 30 Sep, 2006 11:55 am
Colgate Comedy Hour
Would it be the Colgate Comedy Hour?
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sat 30 Sep, 2006 12:30 pm
I lived with B&W a long time after color was introduced.
0 Replies

Equus

Reply Sun 1 Oct, 2006 01:53 pm
Equus wrote:
What was the first television drama (not a newscast or event) to air a program in color? (December, 1953)

Not the Colgate Comedy Hour.

I remember believing as a kid that color TV was a hoax, nothing more than a tinted plastic sheet you put over the screen. I was amazed to visit a department store and see an episode of Gunsmoke in color. By the way, Gunsmoke is not the right answer, either.

Right answer is a drama series, not a comedy or variety show. Was also on radio (but never in color!) before TV. The show returned to B&W after this brief experiment. It was a classic show of the 1950's. A revival of this show in the 1960's was all in color.
0 Replies

Equus

Reply Sun 1 Oct, 2006 02:06 pm
Hmmm. I'm finding conflicting info online. I do show that the Colgate Comedy hour aired a color program in November, 1953; and that Kukla, Fran and Ollie aired a color test in August. So count Colgate CH correct.

Apparently the show I am looking for aired in December 1953 and was the first broadcast from pre-recorded color film. Apparently Colgate and Kukla were live.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sun 1 Oct, 2006 03:14 pm
Memory often misleads us. Even if I am certain of my information, I think I would be wise to Google it before posting most of the time.
0 Replies

Ragman

Reply Sun 1 Oct, 2006 06:31 pm
Superman
Equus wrote:
Equus wrote:

Perhaps it's Superman?

...though it I'm not sure it fits all your hint's criteria.
0 Replies

Equus

Reply Tue 3 Oct, 2006 03:37 pm
edgarblythe wrote:
Memory often misleads us. Even if I am certain of my information, I think I would be wise to Google it before posting most of the time.

Mea Kukla....I mean, mea culpa.

What I was looking for was Dragnet, Dec. 24th, 1953 "The Big Little Jesus" was the first show FILMED in color. Rest of series was in b&w. Nov's Colgate Comedy Hour preceded it, as did August's Kukla Fran & Ollie.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Tue 3 Oct, 2006 04:56 pm
I thought the Cisco Kid was filmed in color also, but memory could be false.
0 Replies

Equus

Reply Wed 4 Oct, 2006 10:33 am
I don't know (does anyone?) what the final US series was that was still shot in black and white. For some reason I think it might have been The Defenders?
0 Replies

Ragman

Reply Wed 4 Oct, 2006 03:34 pm
E.G. Marshall and Robert Reed
Our whole family watched it. E.G. Marshall and Robert Reed were the father-son team that were central part of the show. I actually recall that a young William Shatner and a young Martin Sheen were also on the show a few episodes.

Definitely filmed in B&W. Topical controversial subjects at the time too...circa 1961-1965, I believe
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sun 22 Oct, 2006 12:39 pm
What was the last regular broadcast network radio program of the golden age? The last two I recall following were, Have Gun Will Travel (John Dehner) and Yours Truly, Johnny Dollar (John Lund). The Lone Ranger (Brace Beemer) and The Cisco Kid (forgot the actor) hung in there a long time, also. I don't know the answer and have not researched it as yet.
0 Replies

Ragman

Reply Sun 22 Oct, 2006 07:16 pm
I remember radio shows like Johnny Dollar. My family would pakc into the car and often take long trips on Sunday to visit family members over an hour away. this would be in late 1950s and early '60s.

Add to the list of classic golden years shows, the one called 'Suspense.' I think it ended its long reign on radio in 1962. I recall listening to an episode about the man who went back in time and saved Lincoln. Though, it didn't often delve into sci-fi, it did on an occasion. Also, if I'm not mistaken in it's introduction, Alfred Hitchcok directed the show in it's very beginning.
0 Replies

Greyfan

Reply Sun 22 Oct, 2006 07:22 pm
I do know "Have Gun, Will Travel" was one of the few (perhaps the only?) radio show based on the televised version, which was on the air first. Dehner made it a point never to watch the program so that his performance wouldn't be influenced by what Richard Boone was doing. So it had to have been one of the last.
0 Replies