If I was Bush, I would...

Reply Tue 11 May, 2004 09:24 pm
Well?

Throughout Bush's presidency, whenever I disagreed with him or had another opinion on something, I found myself thinking "Well, it seems the best thing he should do would be to..."

For the first time, I find that for the life of me, I can't think of what I would do if I was in his situation. It seems like things are going to get MUCH worse before they get any better right now. I'm stuck.

So here's my query:

If you were Bush, right now, what would YOU do?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 5,806 • Replies: 131
No top replies

Mr Stillwater

Reply Tue 11 May, 2004 09:26 pm
I'm channelling another Repub president, Abe Lincoln.... the message..... clearer now... is..

"Get out and see some theatre".
0 Replies

SCoates

Reply Tue 11 May, 2004 09:37 pm
I suggest the Hegh'bat ceremony. For those of you who are not honorary Klingons, I would refer you to the following site.

http://www.startrek-voyager.info/klingon.html
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Tue 11 May, 2004 10:06 pm
Justan

It's a fair question, and a very tough one.

Even in the best of times, administration of such a complex entity as a state seems a superhuman task. Not to mention a state which is the only superpower, and more particularly, not to mention such a state in the middle of the dilemmas which the US is now in.

My notions, however, wouldn't receive a favorable ear with Bush's crowd, nor with more than a few Americans in or out of power.

1) renounce unilateralism
2) sign on immediately with the ICC, non-retroactive and work to increase membership in that organization
3) REALLY search out the causes and responsibilities related to violations of the Geneva Conventions
4) return to the UN, and find a way to both place the present forces under international controls, and also, to strenghten that institution
5) under the UN, continue to work towards stabilization of Iraq, and then allow that population to choose it's own path, and then leave.
Much more follows after that.
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Wed 12 May, 2004 12:27 am
I'd kill myself!
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Wed 12 May, 2004 03:46 am
If I was Bush I'd be female.
0 Replies

John Webb

Reply Wed 12 May, 2004 04:12 am
Blame Rumsfeld, Chaney, Powell, Rice, Kerry ..... or anyone!!! Cool
0 Replies

hobitbob

Reply Wed 12 May, 2004 07:30 am
Shoot cheney, then commit suicide!
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Wed 12 May, 2004 07:35 am
Is it just me, or has anyone else pondered the question of why Cheney's parent's named him 'Dick'?
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Wed 12 May, 2004 07:39 am
This is a good question - I hope more folk come and answer seriously.
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Wed 12 May, 2004 07:43 am
There is a popular club/nightspot here in Vancouver where lots of young lovely men and women come to dance and mate. It's owned by a fellow named Richard, and it is located on Richards Street. The name of the club is easy to remember, Richards on Richards.

Of course, it wasn't long before it gained the very funny and appropriate name of "Dicks on Dicks".
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Wed 12 May, 2004 07:50 am
dlowan wrote:
This is a good question - I hope more folk come and answer seriously.

Well, given that most of us have no idea about what really goes on behind the scenes in international politics, nor do most of us have dreams or chances of reaching the presidency, this question can only lead to a long-winded series of conjectures based on no real evidence or personal experience. While complete, wild personal speculation about being Dubya might be intriguing to read, it will hardly result in any fascinating insights into solving the world's current problems. So...if some choose to make light of the question, so be it. Armchair politicians....worse than backseat drivers.
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Wed 12 May, 2004 07:51 am
Mind you, I always enjoy and respect blatham's views on these sorts of questions.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Wed 12 May, 2004 07:52 am
Nonetheless, I think it a stimulating thing to consider how one might approach things - instead of just whingeing about how badly someone else is doing. No?
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Wed 12 May, 2004 07:55 am
Well, in that sense, yes, bunny. I'm just not certain it will go that way. You see, the problem here is the question "if you were Bush". Well, none of us are, so wouldn't it be more appropriate to ask "if you were president, what would you do?" The Bush stigma completely clouds the possibility of an unbiased argument. Just my opinion.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Wed 12 May, 2004 08:02 am
Oh - I read it as if you were president...
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Wed 12 May, 2004 08:04 am
cavfancier wrote:
Mind you, I always enjoy and respect blatham's views on these sorts of questions.

You blind fool.
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Wed 12 May, 2004 08:06 am
blatham wrote:
cavfancier wrote:

You blind fool.

Better to be blind and foolish than Bush right now. Laughing
0 Replies

infowarrior

Reply Wed 12 May, 2004 08:07 am
Buy the largest bag of the biggest pretzels I could find and start eating.
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Wed 12 May, 2004 08:08 am
I just put this link on another thread, but you guys would want it too, I think.

From PBS newshour last evening, an interview with Zimbardo and others...it's really quite exceptional.

http://www.pbs.org/newshour/bb/middle_east/jan-june04/prisoners_5-11.html
0 Replies