American Beheaded As Payback For Abu Ghraib

gozmo

Reply Wed 12 May, 2004 07:53 am
Is this event so different? sadly not. When viewing this horror be mindful that in Iraq and other places broken and mutilated bodies are
commonplace.
The suffering and terror of individuals is no less because the assassin sits in a distant tank or aeroplane.
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Wed 12 May, 2004 07:56 am
Let me add...the most likely danger I see to stability in the US arises from the situation which it is now making far worse...the rise of Muslim extremism. A serious incident, say poison in Philadelphia's water or whatever, and then as Zinny warned, the real possibility of military rule.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Wed 12 May, 2004 07:56 am
Hmmm - I hope the administration will turn to experts in nation building, and islam, and such, for help - politicians do take huge amounts of advice, generally - it is the quality of this advice that is make or break, often - perhaps Bush will realise that the post-war advice he has been getting has not been excellent?
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Wed 12 May, 2004 07:58 am
Of course the USA will fall. I wonder how exactly?
0 Replies

infowarrior

Lots and lots of $$$ help.

On top of a sputtering economy and a $520 billion dollar deficit (pray Japan and China keep buying US Treasury bonds) Bush wants another $25 billion for Iraq.

That's a lot of money to ask Americans for. God forbid if Bush asked the US oil industry for a slice of the profits they're reaping from the control of Iraq's oil.

Meanwhile, US poverty is growing, unemployment is still hurting Americans, there are schools who can't afford books to educate American youth, and the number of Americans without healthcare keeps climbing.

But there's an endless banquet for Iraq and the Iraqis.

The disconnect is stunning.
0 Replies

hobitbob

dlowan wrote:
Hmmm - I hope the administration will turn to experts in nation building, and islam, and such, for help - politicians do take huge amounts of advice, generally - it is the quality of this advice that is make or break, often - perhaps Bush will realise that the post-war advice he has been getting has not been excellent?
'

It has its own "experts." Wolfowitz, Pipes, etc...
0 Replies

blueveinedthrobber

Reply Wed 12 May, 2004 07:59 am
blatham wrote:
Bi-Polar Bear wrote:
Blatham as a Canadian, do you fear for your country if one day many nations band together and decide the US has gotta go? You know, collateral damage and all.

It's a serious question.

Actually, BP, the thought had never entered my head until you put it there. Thanks a lot.

But I don't see such a future as likely. Outside of some weird turn of events (disappearance of the magnetic field, ebola, etc), I don't think America will face an equal enemy for a fair while. It's hard to imagine how bad things would have to become for Europe to set itself against the US, or to have the might to do so. China is the wildcard, certainly, but again, unless the US goes even more crackers than it is right now (a possibility, I confess...another term of these guys, along with consolidation of power in the hands of the fundamentalist block and the US would really lose much of its identity and tradition, and certainly would lose what good will it hasn't lost already) I think everyone will reach the conclusion that some serious opposition between those two countries would be nothing but disaster.

I fear that on our current course, without change, a scenario where people decide we gotta go is not far fetched. I also believe the EU will become our greatest enemy down the road, maybe not in our life times but certainly. If OPEC nations were to switch to the Euro it would be disastrous to our country in the short term anyway, and our boys in DC only know one way to deal with that. Horrible and bloody agression.

As strong and powerful as we are, we are no match for the whole world if they decided that we were taking the entire planet down the tubes in our quest to attain our manifest destiny.
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Wed 12 May, 2004 08:02 am
BP

Yes, if the current course doesn't change, there's likely big trouble ahead. Probably quite immediately. I'm such a dunce about economics, I can't factor that stuff in.
0 Replies

hobitbob

Reply Wed 12 May, 2004 08:03 am
To add fuel to the fire, how easy is it to imagine Emperor Bush launching the nukes on the morning of November third, if things didn't go his way?
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Wed 12 May, 2004 08:10 am
hobit

That's not a possibility I consider even remotely possible. BUT...this administration is once again pushing for, and making real progress towards, renewing nuke weapons development.
0 Replies

blueveinedthrobber

Reply Wed 12 May, 2004 08:16 am
hobitbob wrote:
To add fuel to the fire, how easy is it to imagine Emperor Bush launching the nukes on the morning of November third, if things didn't go his way?

I think he would be more likely to invoke some kind of martial law granted to him under the Patriot act on any old excuse than to drop a nuke.
0 Replies

infowarrior

Reply Wed 12 May, 2004 08:18 am
Problem, Reaction, Solution.

I was not alone in being alarmed at Bush's response to Bob Woodward's question to Lord Bush as to how history will view him.

Lord Bush replied, "How will we know? We will all be dead."

"We?" Ah, how about "I?" Speak for yourself Lord Bush and stop using the royal "we."
0 Replies

hobitbob

Reply Wed 12 May, 2004 08:45 am
Bi-Polar Bear wrote:
hobitbob wrote:

I think he would be more likely to invoke some kind of martial law granted to him under the Patriot act on any old excuse than to drop a nuke.

I still have a nagging doubt that there will even be elections, especialy if his poll numbers continue to drop. Instead, I think that there will be an "Orange Alert" in late Octovber, and elections will be cancelled, to be rescheduled sometime when the "threat is lower." That time will likley be late in the 22d century.
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Wed 12 May, 2004 08:53 am
The only way US elections would be postponed would be all out war in America. That ain't gonna happen.
0 Replies

Deecups36

Reply Wed 12 May, 2004 08:53 am
Isn't there some saying that goes "Sane people pray to God, but insane people hear God," or something like this?

I think Bush 'hears' God. But then, he's certifiable too.
0 Replies

hobitbob

Reply Wed 12 May, 2004 08:55 am
McGentrix wrote:
The only way US elections would be postponed would be all out war in America. That ain't gonna happen.

I doubt it. You and the other docile little drones would line up to do the "god appointed president's" bidding. I'm sure there is a torturer post waiting for you if you are a good little boy.
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Wed 12 May, 2004 08:55 am
hobit

It is bad, but it ain't that bad yet.
0 Replies

hobitbob

Reply Wed 12 May, 2004 08:59 am
Oh really? Read some of the things McGEntrix, Fedral, Brian,and Foxy have written, and tell me that they wouldn't line up to join the SA?
0 Replies

Steve 41oo

Reply Wed 12 May, 2004 09:04 am
Its a cardinal point of Blair's philosophy that America and Europe must lead the world together. Conversely rivalry or worse would be a disaster. I think he's being a bit naive. The US is doing everything it can to protect its markets, currency and resources from the new (and very large) kid on the geopolitical block. Undermining the euro by keeping Britain out is just one example imo. (should explain I mean through N American ownership of influential British newspapers, all vehemently anti euro)

I do think America is worried about the long term. But just at the moment there is a window of opportunity to do a little world-reordering according to American tastes because
a) they can...(there is no one to stop them since the demise of the USSR) and
b) they must...(peak oil is nearly upon us and the US is daily more dependent on imported hydrocarbons).

So after Afghanistan and Iraq, what's next? Well Syria is being very naughty right now, supporting terrorism and undermining the US in Iraq. Sanctions are now in place, with hints at worse to come. Assad must fully comply with US demands or step down. He must at the very least allow his country to be strip searched for those missing wmd...

Of course the fact that the US wants to re-lay and refurbish the old Kirkuk to Haifa oil pipeline the route of which goes through Syrian territory has got nothing to do with the belligerent noises now coming out of Washington.

People think the war in Iraq is going disastrously wrong. But I suspect the realists in the Pentagon and Whitehouse think its going just about ok. After all they were never interested in building a new free Iraq (or only for its propaganda value), just in taking hold of bits of that country that they really oily wanted...and the project's not over yet.
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Wed 12 May, 2004 09:04 am
Oh quit your whining and read so much of the crap posted by BBB, Dcups, Pistoff, Yourself, John webb, etc...

A bunch of conspiracy nuts who think the sky is falling.

It's NOT as bad as you wish it were.
0 Replies