American Beheaded As Payback For Abu Ghraib

cavfancier

Reply Wed 12 May, 2004 07:04 am
Sooo....does this mean that Americans are back to hating Iraqis, rather than trying to 'understand' them? I skipped the video. The acts perpetrated by both sides disgust me.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Wed 12 May, 2004 07:15 am
Can we try not hating, but being appalled where necessary? sheeeeesh.
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Wed 12 May, 2004 07:17 am
dlowan wrote:

I hope so, but you'll have to ask the Americans 'bout that one to be sure.
0 Replies

infowarrior

Reply Wed 12 May, 2004 07:18 am
cavfancier:

The irony of this neocon mess is, I never harbored negative feelings about Iraqis to begin with.

Bush lied to the USA and the world. Saddam Hussein never had WMDs and Saddam Hussein had no connection to 9/11. This was a neocon smokescreen to justify an American invasion of a sovereign nation and payback for a dictator who tried to kill his daddy.

Of course now, Saddam is gone and no WMDs have been found and nearly 800 Americans have died. Aren't the oil fields at Tikrit under US control by now?

It's time to get the hell out of there.
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Wed 12 May, 2004 07:20 am
I would agree that it is indeed time to get out.
0 Replies

blueveinedthrobber

Reply Wed 12 May, 2004 07:25 am
infowarrior wrote:
Bi-Polar Bear:

I agree -- justice must be swift and hard for the people responsible for the beheading of the American, Michael Berg.

However, at what point do we say "enough?"

The US military tortures Iraqi prisoners, 70% to 90% were arrested and were wrongly imprisoned to begin with.

So, in response, pissed off Iraqis behead an American civilian.

Next, the US captures those who carried out the beheading.

Followed by another violent response by angry Iraqis targeting Americans.

The spiral just keeps growing and going. At some point, someone will need to step up to the plate and say "no more."

You know my personal belief.....come home and let the Iraqis slaughter each other if that's what they want to do, or get their country moving if that's what they want to do......put all our resources into securing ourselves as a free nation and take real measures to protect ourselves within our borders, not patriot act bullshit but real steps, spend money on an accelerated program of alternative energy which we could do if we truly wanted and then educate our children properly. The money being spent in Iraq would pay for all of this and more. If we have to suck in our belts and start buying cars with V6's, pay more at the pump for awhile nd stop driving so much, well so be it, that's going to happen anyway.

But this will never occur because the USA special interests, all of which are represented by their current bought and paid for government is making way too much money, and there is way too much money to be made in their long term plans to get out of Iraq, and a few murders and horrific crimes are a small price to pay. The destruction of the middle class is not a concern any longer but probably a goal, because once you're rich enough a middle class is unnecessary. This is my belief and I'm sticking to it.

So let's say enough right now and come home to clean our own house or short of that drop the humanitarian moral high ground bullshit and nuke the entire fvcking country with say, some of those Neutron bombs that don't exist and then plant a flag.

I'm out of patience with the whole mess personally. Can't tell the good guys from the bad guys anymore.
0 Replies

hobitbob

Reply Wed 12 May, 2004 07:27 am
There are no "good guys" or "bad guys." There never have been. There are only people.
0 Replies

Wilso

Reply Wed 12 May, 2004 07:28 am
dlowan wrote:

I've been appalled from the start. The acts by either side aren't justified. But I'm interested to know if the right wingdings now think they've got justification for continued torture of prisoners.
0 Replies

hobitbob

Reply Wed 12 May, 2004 07:31 am
One the Rocky Mountain News forum yeaterday, sveral posters expressed outrage, which was apropriate, then began the macho posturing about how they would love to teach them arabs a "lesson." Prepare for more anti-arab/anti-muslim violence. Sad
0 Replies

infowarrior

Reply Wed 12 May, 2004 07:33 am
"Can't tell the good guys from the bad guys anymore." Bi-Polar Bear

Precisely. That's the guerilla war aspect of this mess called Bush's Iraq war. Even the US soldiers don't know who the "bad guys" are any longer. It's morphing into another Vietnam.

As I said on another thread, secure the oil fields in Tikrit (this was all about oil to begin with) and get the hell out of there.

The Iraqis don't want us there and they don't want to be America's jewel in the crown of Lord Bush as he busily builds his empire.
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Wed 12 May, 2004 07:36 am
cavfancier wrote:
I would agree that it is indeed time to get out.

This is a plan I would argue against passionately. What would almost certainly follow would be as ugly a civil war as might be imagined in a modernized country. And following on that, the real possibility of a powerful Taliban-style state, far far more dangerous than what Sadaam posed.

Regardless of how stupid and even pathological were the reasons and persons who have brought this condition about, we can't leave now.

The situation in Iraq is much unlike Viet Nam in this particular regard.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Wed 12 May, 2004 07:38 am
I tend to agree - but i fear it will be a morass.....
0 Replies

blueveinedthrobber

Reply Wed 12 May, 2004 07:40 am
Wilso wrote:
dlowan wrote:

I've been appalled from the start. The acts by either side aren't justified. But I'm interested to know if the right wingdings now think they've got justification for continued torture of prisoners.

they have always thought so and always will think so. on both sides.
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Wed 12 May, 2004 07:40 am
deb

Yes, I know.
0 Replies

blueveinedthrobber

Reply Wed 12 May, 2004 07:43 am
Blatham as a Canadian, do you fear for your country if one day many nations band together and decide the US has gotta go? You know, collateral damage and all.

It's a serious question.
0 Replies

infowarrior

Reply Wed 12 May, 2004 07:43 am
"I tend to agree - but i fear it will be a morass." dlowan

What would you call it now?

The phoney June 30th handover date is 6 weeks away. If anyone thinks Iraq will magically transform into a pro-western, pro-American Democracy after June 30th, it just ain't gonna' happen.

The US will find and fund another dictator to run Iraq like we found and supported Saddam Hussein back in the 1970's. American foreign policy, unfortunately, works this way.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Wed 12 May, 2004 07:47 am
Yes, sure. I just think there is an obligation to try to do something having destroyed the government (appalling as it was) and begun the current decompensation process.

I gues the US is gonna need a lot of help, no?
0 Replies

hobitbob

Reply Wed 12 May, 2004 07:51 am
A friend of mine in Edmonton is quite fearful that Bush's policies are going to have blowback in Canada. Whther this comes in the form of terrorist attacks, or in the form of the US attempting to seize control of the pipeline she isn't sure.
0 Replies

blueveinedthrobber

Reply Wed 12 May, 2004 07:51 am
dlowan wrote:
I gues the US is gonna need a lot of help, no?

and who exactly will this prideful adminstration take advice from, follow any suggestions that run current to bushs agenda from? No ones, that's who. Surely that wasn't a serious question?
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Wed 12 May, 2004 07:52 am
Bi-Polar Bear wrote:
Blatham as a Canadian, do you fear for your country if one day many nations band together and decide the US has gotta go? You know, collateral damage and all.

It's a serious question.

Actually, BP, the thought had never entered my head until you put it there. Thanks a lot.

But I don't see such a future as likely. Outside of some weird turn of events (disappearance of the magnetic field, ebola, etc), I don't think America will face an equal enemy for a fair while. It's hard to imagine how bad things would have to become for Europe to set itself against the US, or to have the might to do so. China is the wildcard, certainly, but again, unless the US goes even more crackers than it is right now (a possibility, I confess...another term of these guys, along with consolidation of power in the hands of the fundamentalist block and the US would really lose much of its identity and tradition, and certainly would lose what good will it hasn't lost already) I think everyone will reach the conclusion that some serious opposition between those two countries would be nothing but disaster.
0 Replies