Can you believe what this idiot GOP Sen. said?

Joe Nation

Reply Thu 27 May, 2004 05:04 am
Lookit, you've hooked yourself up with a gang who can't shoot straight. Too bad. The whole bunch who hyjacked the White House last election believe in a view of the world that defys belief. (Let's insert a democracy in the Middle East and watch the spillover...they'll love America and hug us round the neck. uh.. yeah.) They've screwed up at every turn of the road whether it was the wacko Missile Defense System, or Condi's focus on China whilst North Korea presented the most immediate problem (still not dealt with), or the biggest, god I don't know what to call it, psycho-idea of invading Iraq for (insert reason of the month here.)

Yeah, it's not their fault. Like hell. If you're at a baseball game and the batter smacks one to middle right and the center fielder gets under it but let's it hit him on the head. Do you blame the hitter?

Do you know what I think? I think we can do better than these guys and Condi Rice. I think we can do it without punching holes in the Constitution or arresting everyone with a brown face, I think we can get more of the world thinking that the US hasn't gone completely mad and find ways to work together to defeat terrorism and set more people free. I think you start by facing reality not like the Bush blindeye policy where nothing has been in error. (I seem to recall there's a mental health condition that describes thinking that way, it's connected to Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder somehow, maybe we should send someone over to have a look at George.)

Hey, batter up.

You got your glove?
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Thu 27 May, 2004 07:58 am
Finn d'Abuzz wrote:
blatham wrote:
Well, let's have you dragged onto Main Street where you are forced to wack off and then we'll have someone shove a lightstick up your ass, and then you can relate the proper word to express this event. If 'atrocity' doesn't come readily to mind, then we'll call in those fellas whose care resulted in homocide, and we'll check with your mother, as she's burying you, whether that word has applicability.

Hey, if they kept me up after my bedtime I might call it an "atrocity, " but what the hell would that mean? There is an identifiable distinction between what happened in Abu Ghraib and what happened in My Lai. There is an identifiable distinction between what happened in Abu Ghraib under Saddam and what happened there under US control. If you want to call them all "atrocities," fine, but what do you call castrating a man and feeding him his testicles? A "really bad atrocity?." If using guard dogs to scare the hell out of prisoners is an "atrocity," what is feeding Uday's rape victim to his pack of dogs? A "really, really bad atrocity?"

I think you're being a bit coy here in any case. For the majority of people calling the actions at Abu Ghraib "atrocities," there is a deliberate intent to associate them with unarguable atrocities such as My Lai, The Battan Death March, Babi Yar, The Rape of Nanking, El Mazote, and The May 5th murder, by Hamas, of a pregnant Israeli woman and her four children.
I do enjoy these talks with you, finn. Your style in debate is energetic and agressive, and yet displays the sort of grace and expertise one might see in, perhaps, an accomplished figure skater. Are you really Tonya Harding?

Yeah...the terminology we use can reveal more about us than about our subjects, I agree. And it surely is the case that Abu Ghraib is not The Killing Fields. And perhaps it is the case that human behavior is such that, in the manner of the Haida Gwai, we ought to have 50 unique terms describing the cruelties done by men to other men. But there's another issue here too, of course, which informs our sentiments and words. When some plumber from New Jersey gets busted going into a cheap motel with an even cheaper prostitute, that's not particularly noteworthy. But if he is Jimmy Swaggert, it is. Moral hypocrisy is frowned on by the gods, and the gods are right.

blatham wrote:
It's (Rumsfeld's job to inform citizens) not? He sure spends a lot of time pretending to be doing that. Heck, two weeks ago, speaking to the Senate commission, he claimed that's just what he had done with the January press briefing ("There were some abuses. Investigations are under way") and I get the convincing notion that you think he has been informing you...or is that an incorrect impression? Is he fibbing? Hiding negative things from you?

I'm afraid I don't know what your are trying to say here, or for that matter how you have come to the confident conclusion that I believe Rumsfeld is informing me of anything.
You said, "It is not Rumsfeld's job to inform citizens." I thought this a rather odd new interpretation of representative democracy.... elected/appointed government officials have no responsibility to inform citizens of anything. Hmmm. And then I suggested that, given the amount of hours Donald has spent in front of flag-bedecked microphones telling us all something, it becomes a puzzle as to how we might define or describe that 'something' coming out of his mouth. Care to be specific? You can pick any word you like here.

blatham wrote:
so the bright shiny war stuff with brave soldiers and things exploding was fine earlier, now something else is finer

You're straining here in order to be insulting. The media are either singularly focused on stories that suggest the occupation is going poorly, or they are not. You seem to be agreeing that they are. I have never contended that the stories of bombings and beheadings should not be reported, only that to do so to the exclusion of stories that might suggest that progress is being made reveals a bias.
No attempt to insult. I was straining otherwise. Through the first months of the war, and indeed through the run-up to the war, media coverage was obsequious and overwhelmingly laudatory of the government's case. And it happily broadcast images and 'facts' as if it were an arm of the administration's media department. There were a handful or two of sceptics in the mainstream media, but one had to reach into foreign press or into low distribution journals to find much in the way of independent analysis. Then, the media very definitely were focused on a war and occupation that was, they dutifully reported, going just swimmingly. You'll recall, that this bit of our discussion was as regards the claim that the media is 'left', and I said, quoting a political operative interviewed in Atlantic magazine, that the understanding his profession has of the media is that it is interested in conflict. So it will climb all over Bill Clinton vs all that is good and right and apple pie. And it will climb all over a war going badly. After Kerry is elected, if his wife gets in an argument at a diner, they'll be there with satellite dishes in a minute.

blatham wrote:
Well, I confess that I, along with the great majority of the western world's populations - and likely your own in the US too - would applaud that outcome, if not the missing coverage.

So manipulating the truth is acceptable providing it engenders an outcome you desire?
You can't be serious?! Please see above on Rumsfeld. Manipulating truth is something governments ought NOT to do and that is the fundamental reason why this administration is despised as deeply and broadly as it is, and why it is in the trouble it is in.

blatham wrote:
To the contrary. The point was two-fold; first, that generally speaking, Europeans or Canadians or Australians are more educated regarding America than are most Americans regarding lands outside. That's a generalization (you're one of the exceptions) but true so far as generalizations are truth-bearing. And as American sourced news is often carried elsewhere, folks outside have a good picture of what your news is doing. But how much news coverage from New Zealand comes into your home?

It's not surprising that Europeans, Canadians, Australians et al know more about what is happening in this country than Americans know about what is happening in their countries. The media of these countries run a hell of a lot more stories about America than the American media runs of Europe, Canada, Australia et al. For Americans to know as much about these countries as their citizens know about America, requires a lot more work on our part than on theirs. True.

If Canada was the only superpower on earth, my bet is that Americans would know more about Canada than Canadians would know of America. Also true, but with some critical caveats arising from our differing histories (too big for here, but related to your revolution and our lack of one)

But knowing more about America than an American knows about New Zealand, doesn't make the New Zealander an expert on American politics or press.
Again, true. But 'reasonably well informed' is criterion enough for you and I and everyone on numerberless areas of life which we might make reasonably sound judgements concerning. I'm sure you could, for example, sit down with someone who had never had the opportunity to study the Italian Rennaissance, and yet go some distance towards increasing his understanding of that subject.

blatham wrote:
The second point was that to most of the rest of the Western world, American political discourse is overall so far to the right, that arguments that it is left-favoring seem like Tito arguing in relationship to Stalin, he was a real softy.

If this is true, it says more about the rest of the Western World's entrenchment in the Left, than anything about America, and further supports my belief that any "outsider" who chortles over the notion of a liberally biased American press is hardly an expert on the American press.
Well, you are at some risk here of sounding like one of those old fellas who shuffle down park paths, muttering at dogs and people and trees passing by, "You're ALL crazy." Please don't feel insulted, it's a fate I may well meet myself.

blatham wrote:
Well then, imagine a dinner conversation between Rupert Murdoch and his son. It's quite conceivable one might accuse the other of being too liberal. Resist chortling.

But it's not conceivable (let alone quite conceivable) that one would accuse the other of being too liberal, and so your analogy, like your insult, strains to hard.
Again, no insult intended. But I suppose there is no good reason to argue about what dinner conversations might arise around that family's table. Yet, you understand the point...these terms are relative.

To the ignorant ear, Portuguese and Spanish sound very much alike. What would be your take on someone who found it amusing that a Portuguese and a Spaniard might not understand each other?
You've skated right past me here, I'm afraid.

blatham wrote:
Nah...you are not nearly so innocent of smug as you pretend.

Said the crime lord to the pickpocket.
That's funny, finn. Wondered what you'd come up with there. I'll be sending someone over later to get my 50% of the fine hankies.[/[/color]quote]
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Thu 27 May, 2004 08:00 pm
Joe Nation wrote:
Lookit, you've hooked yourself up with a gang who can't shoot straight. Too bad. The whole bunch who hyjacked the White House last election believe in a view of the world that defys belief. (Let's insert a democracy in the Middle East and watch the spillover...they'll love America and hug us round the neck. uh.. yeah.) They've screwed up at every turn of the road whether it was the wacko Missile Defense System, or Condi's focus on China whilst North Korea presented the most immediate problem (still not dealt with), or the biggest, god I don't know what to call it, psycho-idea of invading Iraq for (insert reason of the month here.)

OK Joe, rather than simply continuing to grumble, how about expounding on some of your grumblements:

Why do you think a democracy in Iraq will not have a "spillover" effect in the Middle East?

What would you have the Administration do about Korea that it is not doing?

joe wrote:
Yeah, it's not their fault. Like hell. If you're at a baseball game and the batter smacks one to middle right and the center fielder gets under it but let's it hit him on the head. Do you blame the hitter?
And I thought blatham was straining to come up with an analogy. This one must have given you a hernia.

joe wrote:
Do you know what I think? I think we can do better than these guys and Condi Rice. I think we can do it without punching holes in the Constitution or arresting everyone with a brown face, I think we can get more of the world thinking that the US hasn't gone completely mad and find ways to work together to defeat terrorism and set more people free. I think you start by facing reality not like the Bush blindeye policy where nothing has been in error. (I seem to recall there's a mental health condition that describes thinking that way, it's connected to Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder somehow, maybe we should send someone over to have a look at George.)

I was wondering why I haven't seen anyone with a brown face lately. Now I understand, they've all been locked up!

Can you share with us some examples of where there has been a lack of cooperation between the US and another country, in terms of fighting terrorism, because of our invasion of Iraq? All of the European nations that decried the invasion take great pains to explain that they are still working closely with us in fighting terrorism. Are they wrong? Are they secretly holding back info that can help prevent another 9/11 because they don't want us in Iraq?

Please illuminate the connection between the action in Iraq and our inability to prevent future terrorist attacks, and this means something more substantial than "Bush is an idiot and the war in Iraq is wrong and therefore we're going to get bombed in NY this summer."

joe wrote:
Hey, batter up.

Yeah Joe, you're at the plate. Are you going to make contact with any of these issues or simply continue to whiff?
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Thu 27 May, 2004 09:35 pm
blatham wrote:
I do enjoy these talks with you, finn. Your style in debate is energetic and agressive, and yet displays the sort of grace and expertise one might see in, perhaps, an accomplished figure skater. Are you really Tonya Harding?

No, but it's funny, I was thinking the same thing about you. You're not really Elvis Stoiko are you?

blatham wrote:
Yeah...the terminology we use can reveal more about us than about our subjects, I agree. And it surely is the case that Abu Ghraib is not The Killing Fields. And perhaps it is the case that human behavior is such that, in the manner of the Haida Gwai, we ought to have 50 unique terms describing the cruelties done by men to other men. But there's another issue here too, of course, which informs our sentiments and words. When some plumber from New Jersey gets busted going into a cheap motel with an even cheaper prostitute, that's not particularly noteworthy. But if he is Jimmy Swaggert, it is. Moral hypocrisy is frowned on by the gods, and the gods are right.[/color]

Your response on the use of "atrocity" seems to have morphed into a response on the even handedness of the press in Iraq. You're not really a loveable plasticine character are you? (http://www.aardman.com/showcase/morph.html)

The Abu Graib story is entirely newsworthy, and no particular bias is displayed by covering it. In fact, the irony that the "Liberators of Iraq" are themselves guilty of criminal abuse of prisoners in Iraq is worthy of note as well. Of course, on the one hand was institutionalized torture intended to assist a dictator in retaining his power, and on the other is a disgraceful breakdown in military discipline, common sense, and decency that has been exposed and is being addressed. My problem is certainly not with publicizing the abuse at Abu Graib, nor with denouncing it and calling for full investigations up throughout the chain of command. My problem is with attempts to equate what the US did at Abu Ghraib and what Saddam did at Abu Ghraib. The use of the term "atrocity" is but one tactic in that attempt.

blatham wrote:
You said, "It is not Rumsfeld's job to inform citizens." I thought this a rather odd new interpretation of representative democracy.... elected/appointed government officials have no responsibility to inform citizens of anything. Hmmm. And then I suggested that, given the amount of hours Donald has spent in front of flag-bedecked microphones telling us all something, it becomes a puzzle as to how we might define or describe that 'something' coming out of his mouth. Care to be specific? You can pick any word you like here.

I think I now understand the point you are making. I'm afraid I've lost track of the original point of contention and am too lazy to scroll back to it, but what I am saying is that it is not the primary responsibility of the Secretary of Defense to inform the citizenry of everything that is going on in connection with any or all Defense Department engagements. In fact, one might argue it would be irresponsible for the Secretary to do so. However it is a function of the Secretary of Defense to provide information, within limits, about what the Defense Dept is doing Rumsfeld is doing that. One can easily argue that he is doing his best to put his spin on that information, and while I would prefer that he not, I don't think there has ever been or ever will be a Cabinet member who will foreswear spin. Of course, if he is deliberately hiding important information for political reasons (as opposed to national security reasons) than he does deserve to get the boot. The fact that any number of people don't like or trust Rummy is not proof that he is unduly deceiving the citizenry. Forbidding soldiers still and video cameras (I knew I'd remember the origin of this vein of debate) doesn't constitute hiding information or deceiving the citizenry.

blatham wrote:
No attempt to insult. I was straining otherwise.

Not hard enough apparently, but that's OK, a well turned insult can be amusing. A forced or cheap one, not so.

blatham wrote:
Through the first months of the war, and indeed through the run-up to the war, media coverage was obsequious and overwhelmingly laudatory of the government's case. And it happily broadcast images and 'facts' as if it were an arm of the administration's media department. There were a handful or two of sceptics in the mainstream media, but one had to reach into foreign press or into low distribution journals to find much in the way of independent analysis. Then, the media very definitely were focused on a war and occupation that was, they dutifully reported, going just swimmingly. You'll recall, that this bit of our discussion was as regards the claim that the media is 'left', and I said, quoting a political operative interviewed in Atlantic magazine, that the understanding his profession has of the media is that it is interested in conflict. So it will climb all over Bill Clinton vs all that is good and right and apple pie. And it will climb all over a war going badly. After Kerry is elected, if his wife gets in an argument at a diner, they'll be there with satellite dishes in a minute. [/color]

I disagree with your characterization of the media coverage leading up to the war, but am not inclined to go searching for past articles of the NY Times and washington Post or transcripts of ABS and CBS News broadcasts. In any case, I'm not arguing that the media doesn't go in for sensationalism, and that liberal politicians get a free ride or pristine journalism. I'm sure the Clinton Administration gnashed its collective teeth from time to time over what they perceived as unfair and unbalanced reporting. But the fact that the press is a school of sharks for the red meat of failure and scandal doesn't mean that they are not politically biased, that they are not taking greater pleasure in skewering an administration with which they personally disagree in principle. I'm afraid I don't buy into the self-created myth that journalists consider the objective truth as a sacrament.

In fact, while it irritates me when I find evidence of their bias (the cited NPR report on the Abu Ghraib hearings), I don't think it is a leading cause of the downfall of Western Society. The press has always been biased. I have more difficult with their sanctimonious and dishonest protestations that they are free of bias, then the practice of that bias.

blatham wrote:
Well, I confess that I, along with the great majority of the western world's populations - and likely your own in the US too - would applaud that outcome, if not the missing coverage.

Finn wrote: So manipulating the truth is acceptable providing it engenders an outcome you desire?

blatham : You can't be serious?! Please see above on Rumsfeld. Manipulating truth is something governments ought NOT to do and that is the fundamental reason why this administration is despised as deeply and broadly as it is, and why it is in the trouble it is in.

blatham, didn't your parents ever teach you that two wrongs don't make a right?

You're not Peter Jennings are you?

blatham wrote:

Finn: If Canada was the only superpower on earth, my bet is that Americans would know more about Canada than Canadians would know of America.

Also true, but with some critical caveats arising from our differing histories (too big for here, but related to your revolution and our lack of one)

Interesting. I hope you'll, at some point and on some thread, have the opportunity to expound on this.

blatham wrote:
Again, true. But 'reasonably well informed' is criterion enough for you and I and everyone on numerberless areas of life which we might make reasonably sound judgements concerning. I'm sure you could, for example, sit down with someone who had never had the opportunity to study the Italian Rennaissance, and yet go some distance towards increasing his understanding of that subject.

True as well, but my point is that dismissing the contention that the American media has a liberal bias as an amusingly quaint notion is not the product of reasonably sound judgment. You seem to have explained it as a product of perception: The "Outsiders" reside so far to the left in the spectrum of political thought that when they look to America they can't help but see only The Right, and thus the notion that anyone is leftist in the US is amusing.

I don't think your explanation holds water, other than for leftists such as yourself who seem to insist on speaking for The Rest Of The World.

blatham wrote:

Finn: To the ignorant ear, Portuguese and Spanish sound very much alike. What would be your take on someone who found it amusing that a Portuguese and a Spaniard might not understand each other?

You've skated right past me here, I'm afraid.

Your explanation is that to the European or Canadian (leftist), both sides of the political discourse in the US sounds pretty much like the same rightwing rhetoric, and so when an American declares there is actually a difference, the European or Canadian (leftist) finds it amusing. Much the way the ignorant lout in my analogy, convinced that Spanish and portuguese are the same language, finds it amusing that a Portuguese and a Spaniard can't understand one another
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Fri 28 May, 2004 07:47 am
Quote:
No, but it's funny, I was thinking the same thing about you. You're not really Elvis Stoiko are you?

Elvis, though he looks and skates like a dump-truck, at least has dignity. Tonya was recently arrested for beating her boyfriend senseless with a hubcab (cue soft choral "America America" as camera pans in to crowd of people in meeting...we discover Tonya is being evicted from her place of residence for failure to achieve the levels of social propriety demanded by the trailerpark)

Quote:
Your response on the use of "atrocity" seems to have morphed into a response on the even handedness of the press in Iraq. You're not really a loveable plasticine character are you?

Close. I'm a loveable silicone character. But no, my use hasn't morphed. I think 'atrocity' (and 'torture') to be appropriate in many of these cases. The malleability is in the word.

Quote:
My problem is with attempts to equate what the US did at Abu Ghraib and what Saddam did at Abu Ghraib. The use of the term "atrocity" is but one tactic in that attempt.

I've made no such equation. But slowly skinning someone over a fire until they are dead is 'torture', and slowly pulling out three fingernails then letting the person free is also 'torture'.

Quote:
Of course, if he is deliberately hiding important information for political reasons (as opposed to national security reasons) than he does deserve to get the boot. The fact that any number of people don't like or trust Rummy is not proof that he is unduly deceiving the citizenry. Forbidding soldiers still and video cameras (I knew I'd remember the origin of this vein of debate) doesn't constitute hiding information or deceiving the citizenry.

I don't like Rumsfeld, and I don't trust him. I hold that already there is enough evidence to suggest it more likely than not that he has hidden negative information for reasons strategic and for reasons political. That case is not yet proved (which will take further documents or a high level whistleblower). The new rules on cameras follows exactly upon the release to the public of the Abu Ghraib and other photos...if you can forward some credible and rational alternate reason (other than PR, that is, to attempt to eradicate transmission to the public of REAL, ACTUAL EVENTS) for this new policy, I'll give you a gold star for creativity.

Quote:
Not hard enough apparently, but that's OK, a well turned insult can be amusing. A forced or cheap one, not so.

Granted. Ought we to use my example, or this sentence of yours as the better representative of a case in point?

Quote:
I'm afraid I don't buy into the self-created myth that journalists consider the objective truth as a sacrament.

In fact, while it irritates me when I find evidence of their bias (the cited NPR report on the Abu Ghraib hearings), I don't think it is a leading cause of the downfall of Western Society. The press has always been biased. I have more difficult with their sanctimonious and dishonest protestations that they are free of bias, then the practice of that bias.

Well, I'd respond here precisely as I would to the claim that both Bill Clinton and George Bush are stupid...yes and no. Revelation arises out of the details.

Bias of some nature and in some degree is always present in each of us. The romantic insistence on total objectivity is foolish (heck, even an all powerful, all knowing, and all benevolent God has preferences). But neither claim nor negation gets us anywhere.

There are ways to analyze media sources that ARE valuable, however, and you know this as well as I. Lack of citation, fallacious argument, unyielding partisan support, unquestioned assumptions, pounds of cliche per column inch, etc. For example, Ann Coulter and Al Franken are commonly equated, as if they were something like equidistant outriggers on some centrist and more objective canoe. But an analysis of their work brings critical dissimilarities. So, yes and no.

Quote:
blatham, didn't your parents ever teach you that two wrongs don't make a right?

My mother was Russian Cossack, conservative and ambitious. My father was a homosexual Englishman and a union organizer. I am still very confused about what they taught me. I am not Peter Jennings. His mother was a wimp, obviously.

Quote:
True as well, but my point is that dismissing the contention that the American media has a liberal bias as an amusingly quaint notion is not the product of reasonably sound judgment. You seem to have explained it as a product of perception: The "Outsiders" reside so far to the left in the spectrum of political thought that when they look to America they can't help but see only The Right, and thus the notion that anyone is leftist in the US is amusing.

I don't think your explanation holds water, other than for leftists such as yourself who seem to insist on speaking for The Rest Of The World.

I'm not sure how to get around this impasse. Part of the problem is where an observer might personally think the 'center' ought to be located, and that is a variable based on personal political policy preferences. But I do think that another part of the problem is a general acceptance, in the US, of the notion of 'liberal media bias'. All I can do here, I think, is recommend Alterman's book. It's by far the best (thorough and rigorous) analysis of the subject I've come across.

Quote:
Your explanation is that to the European or Canadian (leftist), both sides of the political discourse in the US sounds pretty much like the same rightwing rhetoric, and so when an American declares there is actually a difference, the European or Canadian (leftist) finds it amusing. Much the way the ignorant lout in my analogy, convinced that Spanish and portuguese are the same language, finds it amusing that a Portuguese and a Spaniard can't understand one another

Gotcha. And thanks for helping to revive 'ignorant lout', a fine bit of English regretfully approaching the 'archaic' status. I'm convinced that if it were to regain broad currency, political debate would be much enriched in, say, Texas.

I'm sure that passions ran high, once, on whether 7 or 27 angels might fit on some smallish bit of Sheffield geography. The arguments would have been highly detailed and paradigms of concision and contrast. Positions held would have seemed, from inside the debate, so critically and vastly disparate that only some tragic Montague and Capulet denouement might pop those fellows out of their unsuspected insularity. Somewhere, right this very moment, Carl Rove and Dick Cheney are composing this very narrative. We, that is, myself and the rest of the world for whom I've been asked to speak, await the 'pop' sound with some eagerness.
0 Replies

Joe Nation

Reply Fri 28 May, 2004 09:19 am
Quote:
OK Joe, rather than simply continuing to grumble, how about expounding on some of your grumblements

Did I grumble? Was I testy? What could have brought that on? Perhaps the Red Sox season, good or bad, it does bring something onto me.

Quote:
Why do you think a democracy in Iraq will not have a "spillover" effect in the Middle East?

Isn't democracy a great idea? Isn't the American style of it pretty wonderful? Yes, but that doesn't mean you can ship it intact to Iraq.

I was referring to the odd idea that one can insert a democracy into Iraq, or anywhere else, much like an inoculation. Neo-cons seem to think that everyone is just like us, sort of, that the Iraqis are just like Iowans except for some minor things. I think Wolfowitz and others thought that once Saddam and the Baathists were out there'd be peace in the valley, which was, at once, a wonderful thought and a totally baseless ideal.

Bringing democracy to Iraq is like, get ready for a strained analogy, giving a group of vegetarians total control of a steakhouse. (Soon to be an ABC pilot, Idea I'm a genius!) They'd understand the set-up but have a hard time making it fit with who they are.

And we have not spent much time or effort figuring out who the Iraqis are. Let me quote George Packer in the New Yorker from the May 17 issue :
"(...perhaps the greatest mistake made by the architects of the war was to assume that their vision of a liberal state would by eagerly embraced by an ethnically divided, overwhelmingly Islamic country with a long history of dictatorship. The Coalitional Provisional Authority managed the occupation as if benevolent American intentions guaranteed success. ... and ....failed to anticipate the level of resistance that would emanate from Iraq's various factions--in particular, the Shia."

Iraqis already know how to vote, but voting for them isn't like it is for us. We see voting as an individual exercise, they have a different view that incorporates family and inter-family relationships, tribal associations and most importantly, religious allegiances both to particular sects and particular teachers. We have bloc voting too, but nothing like the 1,000 year old tradition in Iraq. Democracy as the idea that you and I know has never appeared in the Middle East of it's own volition. Governments in the area, not just Iraq, have always been the province of who ever was the strongest at the moment, the Sultan, the British, the Emir, the Shah, the Ayatollah, the King of Jordan. Change didn't mean an election, it usually involved execution and revolution.

But let's suppose it takes. So, now we've got a democratically elected bunch of folks running the place and we look for the spillover. Nothing slops in Saudi Arabia or Kuwait or the Emirates because the anointed princes there all know how to grease the machine and they've got plenty of grease, their biggest worry is not a nearby Iraqi democracy but how they can continue look like Islamic leaders to their people compared to the fightin', hunted Islamic hero Osama.

Over in Syria and Jordan things stay the same because there's already a democracy next door and I'm not talking about Iraq. Israel's Sharon is about all the example the Syrians or the Jordanians need to look at to see how off a democracy can get in terms of leadership unless they gaze across the Atlantic to see how we are doing with our present Christian fundamentalist leader to whom God speaks.
Not surprisingly, they stick with tyrants they know.

I've got to get to work on some things but just quickly:
Quote:
Can you share with us some examples of where there has been a lack of cooperation between the US and another country, in terms of fighting terrorism, because of our invasion of Iraq? All of the European nations that decried the invasion take great pains to explain that they are still working closely with us in fighting terrorism. Are they wrong?

Terrorism isn't the creation of nations, it's the creation of people. It's not just the world's nations that we must have with us in this fight, it's the world's people. What the people think about the US and whether we are worthy of their support, love and trust is the balance stone that will tip the scale of history for us. We must reach the people or later, they will read about the American experiment as a short chapter that ended in arrogance.

Joe

PS So you do blame the batter?
0 Replies

fairandbalanced

Reply Sat 29 May, 2004 02:31 am
To Plainoldme.

I don't know whether to laugh or cry when I read mporter's comments and sources.

Plainoldme writes
Quote:
Time is a liberal magazine? What other jokes do you know?

LOL Laughing You are absolutely right. If you scroll up to another one of his posts, you would see that he describes USA Today as a left-leaning magazine. Mporter writes "If USA Today has a leaning, it is definitely to the left."

Can you believe that? And then he goes on to demand that you backup your contention. Even better when he cites some obscure website called 'Turn Left' as his evidence that Time and Newsweek are liberal magazines. Laughing

Joe Nation was right to look for evidence of research and critical thinking from him. To counter Joe's argument, mporter writes
Quote:
Time and Newsweek

MUSHILY MODERATE BUT STILL BARELY LIBERAL

You get that, Joe Nation. They are not conservative magazines.

Plainoldme, I'm afraid Mporter takes stupidity to a whole new level.
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Sat 29 May, 2004 05:47 pm
blatham wrote:
I don't like Rumsfeld, and I don't trust him. I hold that already there is enough evidence to suggest it more likely than not that he has hidden negative information for reasons strategic and for reasons political. That case is not yet proved (which will take further documents or a high level whistleblower). The new rules on cameras follows exactly upon the release to the public of the Abu Ghraib and other photos...if you can forward some credible and rational alternate reason (other than PR, that is, to attempt to eradicate transmission to the public of REAL, ACTUAL EVENTS) for this new policy, I'll give you a gold star for creativity.

No creativity is required because there is, essentially, no alternate reason. The prohibition of cameras is an attempt to prevent the transmission of images from members of the military in Iraq. You have cast it in terms that suggest it is a sinister plot to hide terrible truths from the American people. It may be, but that it no the only logical conclusion. First, we have to realize that the photos taken at Abu Ghraib were not snapped for the purposes of revealing the goings on to the American public. If soldiers are foolish enough to take those photos, they are liable to take photos of anything that strikes their fancy. Some photos, like those taken at Abu Ghraib, can be used to reveal unacceptable behavior by the military. Others might be used (intentionally or not) to reveal military secrets. Others still may be used to convey gruesome images of war that would serve only puerile or perverse interests. The military isn't a force of fighting free lance photographers.

I doubt very much that the Toronto police department permits its officers to carry cameras with them while on patrol and to take photos of crime victims and arrested or killed perpetrators, (The Toronto PD is required, from time to time, to shoot a criminal, isn't it?) or the Quebec Fire Department allows its men and women to carry video cameras to the scene of a fire.

blatham wrote:
Granted. Ought we to use my example, or this sentence of yours as the better representative of a case in point?

By all means yours, it is so much more representative of the point.

blatham wrote:
There are ways to analyze media sources that ARE valuable, however, and you know this as well as I. Lack of citation, fallacious argument, unyielding partisan support, unquestioned assumptions, pounds of cliche per column inch, etc. For example, Ann Coulter and Al Franken are commonly equated, as if they were something like equidistant outriggers on some centrist and more objective canoe. But an analysis of their work brings critical dissimilarities.

I would be interested in such an analysis, because I'm afraid I don't see much of a fundamental difference between the two.

blatham wrote:
My mother was Russian Cossack, conservative and ambitious. My father was a homosexual Englishman and a union organizer. I am still very confused about what they taught me. I am not Peter Jennings. His mother was a wimp, obviously.

Ahhh...An aggressive, overbearing mother and a weak, unassuming father.
It's the classic formula for the raising of a Rosicrucian. You stand revealed blatham.

blatham wrote:
I'm not sure how to get around this impasse. Part of the problem is where an observer might personally think the 'center' ought to be located, and that is a variable based on personal political policy preferences. But I do think that another part of the problem is a general acceptance, in the US, of the notion of 'liberal media bias'. All I can do here, I think, is recommend Alterman's book. It's by far the best (thorough and rigorous) analysis of the subject I've come across.

The problem is indeed where the observer thinks the center ought ot be located. Considering that there are something like 280 million people living in the United States who firmly believe that their political discourse runs across a fairly wide spectrum from Left to Right, an observer who seriously suggests that the entire subset of political thought in America lies somewhere far right of the center of worldwide political thought is, at best, silly.

I have to confess that I have not read Alterman's book, not because it reaches a conclusion which I cannot accept but because it is very difficult to believe that Alterman can consider an issue of bias, without bringing his own considerable bias to bear. I wouldn't read a book on the same subject by Sean Hannity; for the same reason.

blatham wrote:
I'm sure that passions ran high, once, on whether 7 or 27 angels might fit on some smallish bit of Sheffield geography. The arguments would have been highly detailed and paradigms of concision and contrast. Positions held would have seemed, from inside the debate, so critically and vastly disparate that only some tragic Montague and Capulet denouement might pop those fellows out of their unsuspected insularity. Somewhere, right this very moment, Carl Rove and Dick Cheney are composing this very narrative. We, that is, myself and the rest of the world for whom I've been asked to speak, await the 'pop' sound with some eagerness.

Very nicely turned, but somewhat obtuse. Is this difference without distinction between the Left and Right (such as they, laughingly, may be) in the US, or between the US and The Rest of The World?
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Mon 31 May, 2004 06:56 am
Quote:
I doubt very much that the Toronto police department permits its officers to carry cameras with them while on patrol and to take photos of crime victims and arrested or killed perpetrators, (The Toronto PD is required, from time to time, to shoot a criminal, isn't it?) or the Quebec Fire Department allows its men and women to carry video cameras to the scene of a fire.

As we know from the "reality in policing" TV shows ("Bad cops, bad cops, whacha gonna do when they come for you") cameras do indeed attend some police interactions (various highway patrols have dashboard videos to document for prosecutorial follow-up).

But the timing of this new rule, and all the other attempts by Rumsfeld and the DOD to obstruct thorough investigation, and this administration's propensity to be concerned with PR more than with substantive policy issues (DiIulio's piece in Esquire), and the military's increasing control of information from battle zones (from Panama on up through now) all make any contention that this rule might be for anything other than keeping ugly facts - which might have the same consequences as news reporting in Viet Nam - from the public who these turkeys are supposed to represent and be in service to. It's deceitful and it smells far more of facist notions of public duty than anything democratic.

Quote:
By all means yours, it is so much more representative of the point.

You are too humble by half. However, as serious honors have somehow managed to escape me in this life, I will grasp onto anything that comes within reach, and briefly thank my mother and god before the band starts up and the hook encircles my svelte waist.

Quote:
I would be interested in such an analysis, because I'm afraid I don't see much of a fundamental difference between the two.

Again, Alterman's is the work of note. But we could certainly have a careful thread which took a couple or three arbitrary passages from a Coulter book and another abritrary group from Franken's. That could be fun.

Quote:
Ahhh...An aggressive, overbearing mother and a weak, unassuming father.
It's the classic formula for the raising of a Rosicrucian. You stand revealed blatham.

Do you recall (I'm assuming you are near me in age, though I always make that assumption...which accounts for the frequent slaps in discoteques) the old pen and ink ads in Popular Science etc for the Rosicrucians? Wasn't there a ray of light descending from...I never quite figured out where it was from...whacking the fellow right between the eyes?...something about 'wisdom of the ancients'? I confess I was curious, and wished to get whacked between the eyes myself, thinking it might help me with geometry, or with Valerie Weins, or in beating up Mike Campbell. But I was cynical even then, and thought it likely a scam, or just another dogma, or maybe even how Tau Cetians were gaining access to Republican minds.

Quote:
I have to confess that I have not read Alterman's book, not because it reaches a conclusion which I cannot accept but because it is very difficult to believe that Alterman can consider an issue of bias, without bringing his own considerable bias to bear. I wouldn't read a book on the same subject by Sean Hannity; for the same reason.

And again, this IS a matter of scholarship.

As regards the right/left question of America, if it makes some sense to say, in a general way, that the Netherlands or Canada tends to have more 'leftist' policies than does the US, then surely it makes some sense to voice the corollary of that.

Quote:
Very nicely turned, but somewhat obtuse. Is this difference without distinction between the Left and Right (such as they, laughingly, may be) in the US, or between the US and The Rest of The World?

The notation I once received on an Ethics paper (I charmed my way in, having done not a single one of the course prerequisites) was as follows..."Beautifully written. Truly so. But completely without content." I'm still deeply proud of that one.

I meant to communicate, and I'm resisting any use of sea imagery or allusions to King Lear in elucidating my point here, that you laugh for good reason...that the functional US political spectrum includes purple.
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Mon 31 May, 2004 10:28 am
The cameras that follow various police departments on their rounds are not owned and operated by the officers, and you can rest assured that the PDs involved screen all of the video taken before it is released.

I've only watched a few moments of such shows myself, but I am assuming they have never revealed an incident of police brutality or I would have been made aware of same through broader media coverage.

The video cameras mounted on police vehicles are also not owned and operated by the officers, and have probably saved as many officers from unfounded claims of police brutality as they have helped convict.

Undoubtedly, control of information is the intent of Rumsfeld's order. My point is that such control is not unprecedented on the civilian side of life, and concerns for fascist tendencies are more reasonably reserved for orders that shut down security cameras in prisons or military bases and blanket prohibition of US press coverage in Iraq.

blatham wrote:
As regards the right/left question of America, if it makes some sense to say, in a general way, that the Netherlands or Canada tends to have more 'leftist' policies than does the US, then surely it makes some sense to voice the corollary of that.

In a general way it does make some sense, but it is not similarly sensible to find it laughable that there is a meaningful distinction between the left and the right in the US, and it surely is not a conclusion that would be drawn by an expert or even someone reasonably well informed about politics in America.
0 Replies

BumbleBeeBoogie

Reply Mon 31 May, 2004 11:22 am
Blatham
Blatham's citation of DiIulio caused me to reread his comments.---BBB
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Mon 31 May, 2004 01:26 pm
thanks BBB...I am forever in DiIulio's debt for that brilliant "Mayberry Machiavellis". And he was the first admin official to blow the whistle (wouldn't ya love to know what Rove threatened him with?)

finn

I actually read a piece written by someone who had worked editing footage for one of those reality cop shows. The main problem was pumping it up for drama. I do understand that a police force wouldn't let really damaging footage be released. Of course, there is no question that they SHOULD.

For a military force in a democracy, this holds true even moreso. It is not part of the job we assign them to act with malfeasance and then cover that up, particularly when such malfeasance may well put the public they are supposed to be defending at even more risk than that public was before. We expect them to follow laws and codes and we have every right as taxpayers to demand full accounting of what they are up to. Precedent tells us nothing other than what has been precedent. But we have learned that these guys will lie and that a good activist free press doing dilligent research and pushing things into the public view is the best tool for keeping us truly informed...not big splashy centcom backdrops and the pretence of informing.

My use of 'facist' was tempered with 'in the direction of'. It's a strong word I know, but I despise this tendency to deceive and obstruct justice - on the premise that they know better than we do what it is we need and want to know - more than perhaps any other that a government might get up to.

As to your last paragraph...perhaps we were arguing a bit sideways here. There ARE differences between right and left in the US (my little purple joke notwithstanding). But all in all, the left in America wouldn't register in most european countries as even close to being radical, but as very midstream. NIMH and Walter Hinteler have talked about this on quite a few threads.
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Mon 31 May, 2004 05:38 pm
blatham wrote:
thanks BBB...I am forever in DiIulio's debt for that brilliant "Mayberry Machiavellis". And he was the first admin official to blow the whistle (wouldn't ya love to know what Rove threatened him with?)

We could line up ten times as many "White House Officials" who would say nothing but favorable things about Bush and the Administration and some people would dismiss them, out of hand, as liars or sycophants, and yet these same people unquestioningly believe everything negative every anonymous White House official spouts. And if the critic actually identifies himself, then it immediately becomes gospel.

Other than the obvious partisan explanations for this dichotomy, I have to wonder why so many people prefer to believe the negative over the positive. This applies in far more areas of life than simply politics.

Anyone who has operated with a large and complex organization knows that there are always grumbling malcontents who view everything with cynicism and find fault with every effort. This, of course, doesn't mean they aren't sometimes accurate in their assessment, but the mere fact that they are not voicing the company line doesn't make the line that they are voicing credible.

blatham wrote:
finn

I actually read a piece written by someone who had worked editing footage for one of those reality cop shows. The main problem was pumping it up for drama. I do understand that a police force wouldn't let really damaging footage be released. Of course, there is no question that they SHOULD.

For a military force in a democracy, this holds true even moreso. It is not part of the job we assign them to act with malfeasance and then cover that up, particularly when such malfeasance may well put the public they are supposed to be defending at even more risk than that public was before. We expect them to follow laws and codes and we have every right as taxpayers to demand full accounting of what they are up to. Precedent tells us nothing other than what has been precedent. But we have learned that these guys will lie and that a good activist free press doing dilligent research and pushing things into the public view is the best tool for keeping us truly informed...not big splashy centcom backdrops and the pretence of informing.

I'm all for a vigorous and free press. I also don't countenance the adminstration holding back information unless it affects national security.
Forbidding soliders from carrying cameras and video cameras with them as they go about their military business is not holding back information. It is not the job of the military to provide us with 138,000 freelance reporters in Iraq.

blatham wrote:
My use of 'facist' was tempered with 'in the direction of'. It's a strong word I know, but I despise this tendency to deceive and obstruct justice - on the premise that they know better than we do what it is we need and want to know - more than perhaps any other that a government might get up to.

As for obstructing justice and deception, I can only reiterate that a prohibition of soldiers carrying cameras doesn't come even close. If you have other specific complaints about Rumsfeld and the DOD in this regard, why not voice them and give up on the cameras?

blatham wrote:
As to your last paragraph...perhaps we were arguing a bit sideways here. There ARE differences between right and left in the US (my little purple joke notwithstanding). But all in all, the left in America wouldn't register in most european countries as even close to being radical, but as very midstream. NIMH and Walter Hinteler have talked about this on quite a few threads.

So?

Portuguese and Spanish also sound very much alike to someone who has no familiarity with them.

An extension of your point would seem to be that we should all find it hugely amusing whenever anyone in Europe complains of right wingers in their midst.

Come to think of it, Pym Fortuyn didn't seem like such a bad guy. Maybe there's more to your point than I've gathered.
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Mon 31 May, 2004 09:14 pm
Quote:
blatham wrote:

We could line up ten times as many "White House Officials" who would say nothing but favorable things about Bush and the Administration and some people would dismiss them, out of hand, as liars or sycophants, and yet these same people unquestioningly believe everything negative every anonymous White House official spouts. And if the critic actually identifies himself, then it immediately becomes gospel. Well, that's more than a bit undiscerning. DiIulio does NOT just say negative things. And, the negative things he does say corresponds with other information to hand. And, if you look at DiIulio's past, and his resume, and his set of beliefs, what he says can hardly be dismissed in the slipshod manner you've attempted above.

Other than the obvious partisan explanations for this dichotomy, I have to wonder why so many people prefer to believe the negative over the positive. This applies in far more areas of life than simply politics. How about considering the alternate notion that these negatives reflect something real. Bush, when campaigning for the nomination in Florida, was pulled aside from his ubiquitous handlers by a young Canadian satirist who inquired what Bush thought of Prime Minister Poutine. Bush went on to express his deep admiration for Prime Minister Poutine. Now, I wasn't in the slightest offended by the fact Bush didn't know Cretien's name (I was thrilled when Jean got a pie in the kisser) but it was an indication early on as to just how uneducated and incurious this man is. And, as we know from much else, he lies through his teeth. And, as we are coming to discover, he's done just about eveything wrong in terms of making US citizens more safe. Unless you consider that it is somehow impossible that a dangerous incompetent might end up in that post, then it will require some discernment as to whether Bush matches that word.

Anyone who has operated with a large and complex organization knows that there are always grumbling malcontents who view everything with cynicism and find fault with every effort. This, of course, doesn't mean they aren't sometimes accurate in their assessment, but the mere fact that they are not voicing the company line doesn't make the line that they are voicing credible. Well, ok, there you admit the possibility. What makes DiIulio credible is rather a lot.[/[/color]QUOTE]
0 Replies

fairandbalanced

Reply Tue 1 Jun, 2004 03:04 am
Well said, Blatham Smile
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Tue 1 Jun, 2004 04:53 am
finn said
Quote:
I'm all for a vigorous and free press. I also don't countenance the adminstration holding back information unless it affects national security.
Forbidding soliders from carrying cameras and video cameras with them as they go about their military business is not holding back information. It is not the job of the military to provide us with 138,000 freelance reporters in Iraq.

You and I have a different idea about what the full range of duties and responsibilities a military force has in a democracy. Clearly, the policy was not established for security reasons, nor to make the military more efficient...it was established precisely and only to obstruct US citizens and the rest of the world from more easily knowing what naughties the military might get up to. And that has as a purpose the desire to have the military operate according to it's own arbitrary standards or to the standards of the DOD, as opposed to laws, regulations, and particularly to the wishes of the population it is supposed to serve. Your argument is empty, and it avoids all the tougher questions. It is morally despicable for Rumsfeld to have established the policy, and for Bush to have allowed it. If the military is competent and not fukking up or breaking codes of conduct, then there's no need for the policy.

Quote:
An extension of your point would seem to be that we should all find it hugely amusing whenever anyone in Europe complains of right wingers in their midst.

No, that doesn't follow, finn. The claim I make (that likely everyone on this board from outside the US would make) is that the functional political center in America is considerably to the right compared with almost all other western nations, and that the breadth of real policy alternatives is relatively narrow. I'm not going to argue about this any further. It's an observation made countless times by bright people who do know what they are talking about. The claim isn't startling nor unpredictable given your nation's history over the last hundred years, and given that you have a two party system. Whether or not it is terribly important is another matter, but the fact of it is clear.
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Tue 1 Jun, 2004 07:45 pm
blatham wrote:
finn said
Quote:

You and I have a different idea about what the full range of duties and responsibilities a military force has in a democracy.

Indeed

Clearly, the policy was not established for security reasons, nor to make the military more efficient...it was established precisely and only to obstruct US citizens and the rest of the world from more easily knowing what naughties the military might get up to. And that has as a purpose the desire to have the military operate according to it's own arbitrary standards or to the standards of the DOD, as opposed to laws, regulations, and particularly to the wishes of the population it is supposed to serve. Your argument is empty, and it avoids all the tougher questions. It is morally despicable for Rumsfeld to have established the policy, and for Bush to have allowed it. If the military is competent and not fukking up or breaking codes of conduct, then there's no need for the policy.

Well I guess that's that. Blatham has spoken.

Quote:

No, that doesn't follow, finn. The claim I make (that likely everyone on this board from outside the US would make) is that the functional political center in America is considerably to the right compared with almost all other western nations, and that the breadth of real policy alternatives is relatively narrow. I'm not going to argue about this any further. It's an observation made countless times by bright people who do know what they are talking about. The claim isn't startling nor unpredictable given your nation's history over the last hundred years, and given that you have a two party system. Whether or not it is terribly important is another matter, but the fact of it is clear.

Perhaps your point got lost in your supercilious delivery. In any case, I'm happy to close the book on this one too.
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Tue 1 Jun, 2004 08:47 pm
Yeah...I get accused of the haughty thing now and again. It's a combination of some bad style habits and passion.
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Wed 2 Jun, 2004 06:36 am
Finn d'Abuzz wrote:

Come to think of it, Pym Fortuyn didn't seem like such a bad guy. Maybe there's more to your point than I've gathered.

Heh. There was actually quite a pained, involved discussion at the National Review Online about Pim Fortuyn - it was perhaps the single US medium to have reported most about the "Pim" phenomenon (though of course , from my perspective, in a terribly misunderstood way ;-)).

The problem they had was that some NRO writers welcomed the arrival of such a brash new conservative phenomenon in such a liberal country - but that many readers strenuously objected to the guy being dubbed conservative at all. In the NRO reader universe, after all, he was, at best, a half-hearted, awkward ally, and at worst, a dubious immoral pinko. <grins>

In the end, even the most outspoken Pim-defending editor retreated and dropped his support for the guy, over an allegation of Fortuyn belittling pedophelia that I'd never heard of. Full review of the NRO items in question in this post.
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Thu 3 Jun, 2004 08:52 pm
nimh wrote:

In the end, even the most outspoken Pim-defending editor retreated and dropped his support for the guy, over an allegation of Fortuyn belittling pedophelia that I'd never heard of.

Presumably you mean that Pym, allegedly, belittled outrage against pedophilia. If he belittled pedophilia I can't see how he would draw the ire of conservatives.

Now, of course, you're not suggesting that liberals would be sympathetic to an apologist for pedophilia, are you?

I never held Pym's sexual orientation against him (After all, how can one allow such a minor discretion disqualify a first class race baiter?) but if there is truth that he, in any way, countenanced pedophilia, then I would have to seriously change my opinion of him, and I would do this as a decent human being rather than a conservative.
0 Replies