Can you believe what this idiot GOP Sen. said?

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Tue 25 May, 2004 08:00 pm
blatham wrote:
Always pleased to oblige you. I know folks commonly don't treat you right. But language is important, and euphemisms too plentiful in the world of war. It's a necessary focus of attention.

Indeed language is important which is why a word like atrocity should not be used loosely. If someone called the abuse at Abu Ghraib "attitude adjustment," or "psychological persuasion," then I could understand your concern for euphemistic language, but that simply has not been the case.
By the way, I have no complaints about how folks treat me, but appreciate your obvious concern.

blatham wrote:
I'll note that a Brit paper today has written that Rumsfeld has now banned all cameras and cel phones with cameras from soldiers in the Iraq theatre. That's pretty clearly an indication that the fellow is rather more interested in presentation and information control than he is in keeping citizens really informed as to the true states of affairs.

First, the story must be confirmed. The Brit papers have had some problems with fabrication of late. Secondly, it's not his job to keep
citizens informed of anything, but I wonder how many photos taken by soldiers of smiling Iraqis have been clamored after by the press. Since the media, whose job it very much is to keep citizens informed as to the true state of affairs, are primarily interested in the negative stories coming out of Iraq, why should one of the targets of their bias help them along? On another thread it was pointed out that the fact that approx 1,000 Iraqis staged a protest against the insurgents was virtually ignored by the media. One Canadian A2K poster, in essence, applauded this acknowledged bias as it would serve the greater good by helping to defeat Bush in November.

blatham wrote:
Very many people outside of the US are indeed expert on US politics and press. Dropping down from 'expert' to 'quite familiar', that is the case far moreso, on average, than is the converse. Your take on the Belgian or Australian press, please?

I'm sure there are experts on American politics and the press outside the borders of the US, but I wouldn't describe them as "many." I'm equally sure that there are "many" outside of the US who are "quite familiar" with American politics and the press, but if they found my contention that members of the American media are, overwhelmingly, liberal and often reveal a liberal's bias to be something to "chortle" over, than it is clear that they are neither expert nor even knowledgable about the subject.

I don't know how it is relevant to this discussion, but I have never been to Belgium or read a Belgium newspaper. I have been to Australia and have read Australian newspapers while there and (online) since returning. I don't know, though, that I can form a reasoned opinion on whether or not they are biased one way or the other. However I would not be surprised to learn that Australians believe them to be biased one way or the other and certainly not moved to chortle.

blatham wrote:
Canadians are no more literate than Yanks. And, sure, bias is present in all viewers. And, you don't have to accept a Canadian's judgement on your nation's policies or on other observations about your complex country. But, on the other hand, why not attend to the viewpoints from outside? That would seem to be intellectually prudent, if personally uncomfortable sometimes. Not doing so has the disadvantage of all the possible consequences of hubris. But perhaps most immediately, critical commentary on America is an inevitability wherever and whenever America's rhetoric and policies and actions reflect assumptions of unique and superior moral attributes. The price you pay for accepting such self-definition as would permit the degree of demand for untempered unilateralism is the price which is now being exacted.

I am both interested in and open to viewpoints from outside, but for me to take them seriously, they, like viewpoints from the inside, must be reasoned. If they are merely smug quips or irrational rants, I'm afraid I feel compelled to ridicule them.
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Tue 25 May, 2004 08:26 pm
It never ceases to be amusing that whenever the liberal bias of the American media, in general, is addressed, liberals respond:

"What about FOX News?!"

or

"T.V. and print media do not reflect a liberal bias, BUT talk radio definitely reflects a conservative bias."

Clearly all talk radio outlets and commentators are not conservative, but, in general, talk radio in America does reflect a conservative bias.

All T.V. news outlets and print news media are not liberal, but, in general, the television and print media in America does reflect a liberal bias.

The only people contending that the TV and print media in America does not reflect a liberal bias are liberals.

Although he has now been branded a traitor, by the Left, Bernard Goldberg, author of "Bias," was never considered a conservative before his book came out.

Liberals can't see the liberal bias of the press and tv news because they can't imagine for a second that their positions might be opinion rather than fact. And so liberals will never see the blatant bias exhibited in an NPR report this morning on Bush's speech last night.

The report played Bush's statement that if the generals think they need more troops, they'll get them. The reported followed this with words to the effect of "But the fact is that at a recent congressional committee session General Abizaid said that he didn't have enough troops in Iraq." They played the general's comment, and what he, clearly, said was that we didn't have enough of certain troops (MPs, and other positions suited to an occupation) in the entire military (let alone Iraq) and that this needed to be rectified. Since President Bush cannot issue an order and have troops that don't exist shipped off to Iraq, the NPR reporter played with the truth. Whether or not this was intentional, it most certainly reflected a bias.
0 Replies

Joe Nation

Reply Tue 25 May, 2004 09:19 pm
I should have said "What passes for political thought in this country is being driven by the cable news networks and talk radio." It's no secret that most Americans get more of their news from electronic sources than newspapers or magazines, it's been that way for about twenty five years. It's been in all the papers. :wink:

What passes for political discourse is worse. We get two to four talking heads, (should I say screaming and growling?), who shoot one-liners and sound bites at each other for two to four minutes, half of the time talking over each other, and that is supposed to illuminate a subject. Yeah.

Even worse than that are what I call the blah-blah shows where the 'moderator' merely spouts their own slant to the radio listeners who have tuned in to learn not what Rush or Sean or Al thinks, but what they, the listeners, are supposed to think.

Thank goodness for the Sunday morning interview shows. (Hey, it just occurred to me that while Meet the Press or Tim Russert is on all those rock-ribbed neo-cons are still in church, no wonder they are out of the loop. )

Q: Just wondering: How come no one ever mentions the Wall Street Journal? There's a fair and balanced news source for your perusal, if you have been reading their editorials of late you will have no doubt where the right's life of denial begins.

Oh wait, I forgot, Bush doesn't read any newspapers.

(Laura told Leno he does but gave no evidence. :wink: )

Which brings me to what I think is the absolute worst forum for political repartee. This. Forums like this one. One sides sets out the fences of their defenses and the other storms around looking for an opening or makes facetious, specious or otherwise useless remarks about what are very serious issues. No one's mind is changed. I doubt that a single vote has been gained or lost by either party. No matter what number of facts are cited or sited, no matter what sea change of opinion is noted; the folks who started on the right are still there and the folks who started on the left are still there. In the middle there is a lot of dust, smoke and lots and lots of foolscap made from position papers and talking point sheets.

And while we wile away our wasted time here somewhere in America they are making plans and watching. As we stay distracted by the Iraq debacle, they get to walk through the mall unwatched. We poke fun at each other and ask for proofs of every variety for any innocuous comment, meanwhile they are noticing where they can leave a bag unattended. In case no one else has noticed we are in a war here. Here, not over there, here. So while my friend Jim Inhofe is outraged by the outrage, to get back to the subject of this thread, and we continue to beat the completely fossilized dead horse of the subject as to whether the media is liberal or conservative or just wacko, which in the light of what I am about to say makes that all pretty goddamn unimportant, I am pretty hot about the fact that here in New York City our lives are on the line.

We are walking around, each of us, with our backpacks and our headphones and a target on our backs. Get it? We may die this summer while some gasbag on radio is still trying to tell us how bad it was under Saddam, or some grinning neo-con points out that housing starts did make a uptick in May. The war is here, and that's what we should be outraged at, the war is here.

Are you paying attention?

Talk to you later.

Maybe.

Maybe not.

Joe
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Tue 25 May, 2004 09:23 pm
Finn d'Abuzz wrote:
blatham wrote:
Always pleased to oblige you. I know folks commonly don't treat you right. But language is important, and euphemisms too plentiful in the world of war. It's a necessary focus of attention.

Indeed language is important which is why a word like atrocity should not be used loosely. If someone called the abuse at Abu Ghraib "attitude adjustment," or "psychological persuasion," then I could understand your concern for euphemistic language, but that simply has not been the case. Well, let's have you dragged onto Main Street where you are forced to wack off and then we'll have someone shove a lightstick up your ass, and then you can relate the proper word to express this event. If 'atrocity' doesn't come readily to mind, then we'll call in those fellas whose care resulted in homocide, and we'll check with your mother, as she's burying you, whether that word has applicability.
By the way, I have no complaints about how folks treat me, but appreciate your obvious concern. My pleasure. I consider you are deserving.

blatham wrote:
I'll note that a Brit paper today has written that Rumsfeld has now banned all cameras and cel phones with cameras from soldiers in the Iraq theatre. That's pretty clearly an indication that the fellow is rather more interested in presentation and information control than he is in keeping citizens really informed as to the true states of affairs.

First, the story must be confirmed. Yes. The Brit papers have had some problems with fabrication of late. You're going with the plural here for added oomph, I see. Secondly, it's not his job to keep
citizens informed of anything, It's not? He sure spends a lot of time pretending to be doing that. Heck, two weeks ago, speaking to the Senate commission, he claimed that's just what he had done with the January press briefing ("There were some abuses. Investigations are under way") and I get the convincing notion that you think he has been informing you...or is that an incorrect impression? Is he fibbing? Hiding negative things from you? but I wonder how many photos taken by soldiers of smiling Iraqis have been clamored after by the press. Since the media, whose job it very much is to keep citizens informed as to the true state of affairs, are primarily interested in the negative stories coming out of Iraq, no, as a wonderful article in the recent Atlantic which queried campaign operatives from both parties related, the media are interested in conflict...so the bright shiny war stuff with brave soldiers and things exploding was fine earlier, now something else is finer why should one of the targets of their bias help them along? On another thread it was pointed out that the fact that approx 1,000 Iraqis staged a protest against the insurgents was virtually ignored by the media. One Canadian A2K poster, in essence, applauded this acknowledged bias as it would serve the greater good by helping to defeat Bush in November. Well, I confess that I, along with the great majority of the western world's populations - and likely your own in the US too - would applaud that outcome, if not the missing coverage.

blatham wrote:
Very many people outside of the US are indeed expert on US politics and press. Dropping down from 'expert' to 'quite familiar', that is the case far moreso, on average, than is the converse. Your take on the Belgian or Australian press, please?

I'm sure there are experts on American politics and the press outside the borders of the US, but I wouldn't describe them as "many." I'm equally sure that there are "many" outside of the US who are "quite familiar" with American politics and the press, but if they found my contention that members of the American media are, overwhelmingly, liberal and often reveal a liberal's bias to be something to "chortle" over, than it is clear that they are neither expert nor even knowledgable about the subject. To the contrary. The point was two-fold; first, that generally speaking, Europeans or Canadians or Australians are more educated regarding America than are most Americans regarding lands outside. That's a generalization (you're one of the exceptions) but true so far as generalizations are truth-bearing. And as American sourced news is often carried elsewhere, folks outside have a good picture of what your news is doing. But how much news coverage from New Zealand comes into your home? The second point was that to most of the rest of the Western world, American political discourse is overall so far to the right, that arguments that it is left-favoring seem like Tito arguing in relationship to Stalin, he was a real softy.

I don't know how it is relevant to this discussion, but I have never been to Belgium or read a Belgium newspaper. I have been to Australia and have read Australian newspapers while there and (online) since returning. I don't know, though, that I can form a reasoned opinion on whether or not they are biased one way or the other. However I would not be surprised to learn that Australians believe them to be biased one way or the other and certainly not moved to chortle. Well then, imagine a dinner conversation between Rupert Murdoch and his son. It's quite conceivable one might accuse the other of being too liberal. Resist chortling.
blatham wrote:
Canadians are no more literate than Yanks. And, sure, bias is present in all viewers. And, you don't have to accept a Canadian's judgement on your nation's policies or on other observations about your complex country. But, on the other hand, why not attend to the viewpoints from outside? That would seem to be intellectually prudent, if personally uncomfortable sometimes. Not doing so has the disadvantage of all the possible consequences of hubris. But perhaps most immediately, critical commentary on America is an inevitability wherever and whenever America's rhetoric and policies and actions reflect assumptions of unique and superior moral attributes. The price you pay for accepting such self-definition as would permit the degree of demand for untempered unilateralism is the price which is now being exacted.

I am both interested in and open to viewpoints from outside, but for me to take them seriously, they, like viewpoints from the inside, must be reasoned. If they are merely smug quips or irrational rants, I'm afraid I feel compelled to ridicule them.
Nah...you are not nearly so innocent of smug as you pretend.
0 Replies

mporter

Reply Wed 26 May, 2004 01:11 am
Plain Old Me- Please present evidence that Time has a conservative tilt.

YOu have told the joke suggesting that Time tilts to the right.

I am currently reviewing my old copies of Time and will show you just how liberal Time really is.
0 Replies

mporter

Reply Wed 26 May, 2004 01:27 am
Finn- You must realize that Mr. Blatham has come from the world of elementary school teaching where there are few, if any nuances.

Mr. Blatham would have yoy believe, Finn, that there is a moral equivalency between what happened at Abu Ghraib and what has been done by the savage murderers from AlQaeda.

He completely omits the fact that there is a very great difference between the American soldiers who committed the abuses at Abu Ghraib and the Fanatic Whaabists.

The offenders who committed abuses at Abu Ghraib are being tried in Court martials.

The savages who cut off the head of Mr. Berg are still free.

The prisoners who were abused are going to be recompensed as we have done for years to people who have suffered unjustly.

The bodies of the burned Americans on the bridge presented a picture that cried out for justice. Will the Iraqis recompense the families of those people who were murdered and then had their bodies desecrated.

The USA's doctors restored the ears of some of the Iraqis who had had them cut off by Saddam for some trivial crime.

The USA's doctors restored robotic right hands to a group of Iraqis in Houston Texas. These Iraqis were convicted by Saddam of trafficking in American money. He cut off their right hands and then branded them on the forehead, but we restored their hands.

In the Shia province of DHi Qar, a couple hundred miles southwest of Baghdad, 16 of the biggest 20 cities plus many small towns will have elected councils by June.

Saddam's reaction to attempts at self determination by his people was to put them into shredders.

And, Mr. Blatham attempts the ludicrous feat of making a moral equivalency between our actions and the actions of murderous savages which killed 2,600 of our innocent fellow citizens on Sept. 11th without warning and without provocation.

I am sure that Mr. Blatham should take his elementary school teaching skills to New York on Sept. 11, 2004 and preach to the assembled crowd at the WTC memorial site.

I feel sure that he would not last long. I think that the New Yorkers would view his diatribe as "hate-speech" ala Canadian C-250 and toss him into jail.
0 Replies

mporter

Reply Wed 26 May, 2004 01:35 am
Mr. Blatham has apparently never served in any military organization( unless he calls the crayon corps in elementary school a military organization) since he does not know that the Military operate under a different set of laws than we do.

However,I am sure that Mr. Blatham would be horrified to discover that even some Universities( gulp) in the USA are banning camera phones because some creative students are taking pictures of their tests to forward to those outside the class.

I wonder if Mr.Blatham would have taken a camera- phone away from one of his eight year old students when they were taking a test?

But, perhaps, the Hague can bring Secretary of Defense up on charges of interfering with the free speech of American Soldiers.

Rumsfeld might be able to fashion a unique defense by referencing Canada's C-250 "hate speech" law and pointing out that the pictures taken of Iraqis can be demeaning and therefore qualify as "hate speech". Why not? The machinations of Milosovich at the Court have been nearly as ludicrous.
0 Replies

mporter

Reply Wed 26 May, 2004 01:45 am
Mr. Blatham's claim that "folks outside have a good picture of what your news is doing" A most ridiculous statement.

How many people who do not live in the United States know that there are five Democratic Senators from the South who are resigning this year who will not run and therefore make their seats far more vulnerable to Republican challenges.

Not very many.

And yet, it is this kind of information, not the hocus pocus gasbaggery that means little-- the generalizations with no link to facts utilized by Mr. Blatham.

How many people know of the battle in the Texas Legislature which resulted in the redistricting of Federal House seats which will enable the Republican Party to gain at least 6 more seats in the Federal House?

Not very many. Does Mr. Blatham know about the Texas Legislature or the five Southern Democratic seats? If he does, he has not mentioned them.

He knows very little about the important things relating to our coming election in Nov.2nd.

99.5% of people outside the USA may THINK that they know what is going on. I challenge Mr. Blatham to do an on the spot analysis of Wisconsin politics.

He won' t because he can't.
0 Replies

Joe Nation

Reply Wed 26 May, 2004 04:17 am
Mr. Mporter wrote:
Quote:
I am currently reviewing my old copies of Time and will show you just how liberal Time really is.

I expect a university level in-depth analysis of the magazine's editorial policy based upon no less than one thousand articles published over the past ten years. The subjects should include: stem cell research; the debate over the US missile defense system including the implications regarding the ABM treaty; the war in Bosnia; the Clinton impeachment proceedings; the 2000 election and the Supreme Court decision thereupon and any and all reporting done on any other Court decision before or since in the time period; the Bush transition to power; the environment, including but not limited to, off-shore drilling in Florida, the changes in the various Wilderness Acts, air quality standards and Cheney's meetings with energy executives; the proceedings of the House and Senate including committee meetings beyond the scope of the aforementioned impeachment and finally, add any other subjects covered in what you regard as blatantly partisan, especially in regard to the continuing culture wars, the changes in television subject matter, the controversy over homosexual marriage, nudity on tv, the rise of reality programming and TIME's view of America's moral standing.

Please compare and contrast articles published in the time period to show either a consistency of liberal influence or a transition to same. Please note who the editors were for the articles and give a brief background description for each including their education and early career work.

This work should be completed in thirty days or less, including today, and any other answer offered will be seen as beneath you, incomplete and an admission that you are unable to back up your remarks.

Joe (I feel better) Nation
0 Replies

mporter

Reply Wed 26 May, 2004 04:21 am
Mr. Nation: Will a comment from a respected journalist do? If not, I will do my best. I will try to find stories written with a left wing bias. that won't be hard to do when Time is read. See you!!!
0 Replies

Joe Nation

Reply Wed 26 May, 2004 04:27 am
No, you cannot just quote Bernie again. That gets really tiresome. I want to see your research and thinking, not some ramblings of a retired ink-stained wretch. Look carefully at what you read from the articles and into them, then proceed to put it in cogent form.

I await the complete analysis.

Joe
0 Replies

mporter

Reply Wed 26 May, 2004 04:47 am
Joe Nation should view the following site-

http://www.cjnetworks.com/~cubsfan/magazines.html

That site, named TURN LEFT THE HOME OF LIBERALISM ON THE WEB SAYS:

Time and Newsweek

MUSHILY MODERATE BUT STILL BARELY LIBERAL

I will repeat

Time and Newsweek

MUSHILY MODERATE BUT STILL BARELY LIBERAL

You get that, Joe Nation. They are not conservative magazines.

You probably won't accept that since liberals don't accept evidence that does not conform to their prejudices.
On that site, you get a bonus. There are MANY MORE magazines that are listed as VERY liberal.

I was surprised to find that. I didn't realize there were so many magazines that were liberal in a coutry where the left wing claims that the right wing controls the media.
0 Replies

Wilso

Reply Wed 26 May, 2004 05:58 am
mporter wrote:

You probably won't accept that since liberals don't accept evidence that does not conform to their prejudices.

You must be reading posts on a different forum to me. Conservatives INVENTED revisionist history. It's their favourite pastime. That and drooling at the bloodshed the shrub has caused.
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Wed 26 May, 2004 10:39 am
Quote:
General Is Said To Have Urged Use of Dogs

By R. Jeffrey Smith
Washington Post Staff Writer
Wednesday, May 26, 2004; Page A01

A U.S. Army general dispatched by senior Pentagon officials to bolster the collection of intelligence from prisoners in Iraq last fall inspired and promoted the use of guard dogs there to frighten the Iraqis, according to sworn testimony by the top U.S. intelligence officer at the Abu Ghraib prison.

According to the officer, Col. Thomas Pappas, the idea came from Maj. Gen. Geoffrey D. Miller, who at the time commanded the U.S. military detention center at Guantanamo Bay, Cuba, and was implemented under a policy approved by Lt. Gen. Ricardo S. Sanchez, the top U.S. military official in Iraq.

"It was a technique I had personally discussed with General Miller, when he was here" visiting the prison, testified Pappas, head of the 205th Military Intelligence Brigade and the officer placed in charge of the cellblocks at Abu Ghraib prison where abuses occurred in the wake of Miller's visit to Baghdad between Aug. 30 and Sept. 9, 2003.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A55703-2004May25.html
0 Replies

plainoldme

Reply Wed 26 May, 2004 04:23 pm
If I presented evidence, you wouldn't believe it. This stuff about the liberal press is nonsense. the Boston Herald is right of center. The Boston Globe is centrist. The Boston Phoenix is left.
0 Replies

Joe Nation

Reply Wed 26 May, 2004 05:39 pm
mporter:
NO! No, no no. I want to see your thoughts, your analysis of TIME magazine showing that it is a liberal organ.

I really am not interested in what others think about TIME or who else agrees with you. I would like you to show us from your own reading what you mean by "a liberal magazine."

Tell you what, I'll make it easy on you. You pick an article from the most recent issue, it's the one on D-Day for May 31, 2004 and reveal to us the liberalism ensconced within it's pages.

Ought to be easy, there's an article on Chalabi on page 28.

Knock us dead.

Joe
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Wed 26 May, 2004 08:05 pm
Joe Nation wrote:
And while we wile away our wasted time here somewhere in America they are making plans and watching. As we stay distracted by the Iraq debacle, they get to walk through the mall unwatched. We poke fun at each other and ask for proofs of every variety for any innocuous comment, meanwhile they are noticing where they can leave a bag unattended. In case no one else has noticed we are in a war here. Here, not over there, here. So while my friend Jim Inhofe is outraged by the outrage, to get back to the subject of this thread, and we continue to beat the completely fossilized dead horse of the subject as to whether the media is liberal or conservative or just wacko, which in the light of what I am about to say makes that all pretty goddamn unimportant, I am pretty hot about the fact that here in New York City our lives are on the line.

We are walking around, each of us, with our backpacks and our headphones and a target on our backs. Get it? We may die this summer while some gasbag on radio is still trying to tell us how bad it was under Saddam, or some grinning neo-con points out that housing starts did make a uptick in May. The war is here, and that's what we should be outraged at, the war is here.

Are you paying attention?

Talk to you later.

Maybe.

Maybe not.

Joe

High drama from Joe.

I'm paying attention, but I'm not sure what you're trying to say.

What should we be doing instead of wasting our time in this forum?

- Hunting down the guys walking through the malls unwatched?
- Marching on Washington?
- Picketing Rush Limbaugh's radio station?
- Manning soup kitchens in Cairo?

Are you angry at anyone in particular and for any particular reason, or are you just pissed off at how sick the GD world can be?
0 Replies

Joe Nation

Reply Wed 26 May, 2004 08:55 pm
Since you asked, no, I don't think you are paying attention, I think you, especially you, are in denial. Your view of the present is that everything is going okay, that the actions of this President have made us somehow safer than we were on 9/11 and that with a little bit of luck all will be well in Iraq by Christmas. Maybe sooner.

Right.

Well, give it up. Take off those neo-con brightshades and have a look at the world as it is, the world as it is now, due to the actions of this dim bulb that you and yours support even as his decisions, his choices and his mistakes drive us deeper into a completely unsupportable position.

How can you continue to back the efforts of this administration? Mere kneejerk reaction? An inability, equal to the President's, of refusing to see the errors apparent to almost everyone else?

It's okay. Continue to think that we are on the right course. Just ignore reality. When the bomb goes off because this President couldn't focus on national security because of his obsession with Iraq going badly, I will be thinking of you.

see you later.
Maybe.
And I do mean maybe.

Are you paying attention yet?

Joe
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Wed 26 May, 2004 09:34 pm
blatham wrote:
Well, let's have you dragged onto Main Street where you are forced to wack off and then we'll have someone shove a lightstick up your ass, and then you can relate the proper word to express this event. If 'atrocity' doesn't come readily to mind, then we'll call in those fellas whose care resulted in homocide, and we'll check with your mother, as she's burying you, whether that word has applicability.

Hey, if they kept me up after my bedtime I might call it an "atrocity, " but what the hell would that mean? There is an identifiable distinction between what happened in Abu Ghraib and what happened in My Lai. There is an identifiable distinction between what happened in Abu Ghraib under Saddam and what happened there under US control. If you want to call them all "atrocities," fine, but what do you call castrating a man and feeding him his testicles? A "really bad atrocity?." If using guard dogs to scare the hell out of prisoners is an "atrocity," what is feeding Uday's rape victim to his pack of dogs? A "really, really bad atrocity?"

I think you're being a bit coy here in any case. For the majority of people calling the actions at Abu Ghraib "atrocities," there is a deliberate intent to associate them with unarguable atrocities such as My Lai, The Battan Death March, Babi Yar, The Rape of Nanking, El Mazote, and The May 5th murder, by Hamas, of a pregnant Israeli woman and her four children.

blatham wrote:
It's (Rumsfeld's job to inform citizens) not? He sure spends a lot of time pretending to be doing that. Heck, two weeks ago, speaking to the Senate commission, he claimed that's just what he had done with the January press briefing ("There were some abuses. Investigations are under way") and I get the convincing notion that you think he has been informing you...or is that an incorrect impression? Is he fibbing? Hiding negative things from you?

I'm afraid I don't know what your are trying to say here, or for that matter how you have come to the confident conclusion that I believe Rumsfeld is informing me of anything.

blatham wrote:
so the bright shiny war stuff with brave soldiers and things exploding was fine earlier, now something else is finer

You're straining here in order to be insulting. The media are either singularly focused on stories that suggest the occupation is going poorly, or they are not. You seem to be agreeing that they are. I have never contended that the stories of bombings and beheadings should not be reported, only that to do so to the exclusion of stories that might suggest that progress is being made reveals a bias.

blatham wrote:
Well, I confess that I, along with the great majority of the western world's populations - and likely your own in the US too - would applaud that outcome, if not the missing coverage.

So manipulating the truth is acceptable providing it engenders an outcome you desire?

blatham wrote:
To the contrary. The point was two-fold; first, that generally speaking, Europeans or Canadians or Australians are more educated regarding America than are most Americans regarding lands outside. That's a generalization (you're one of the exceptions) but true so far as generalizations are truth-bearing. And as American sourced news is often carried elsewhere, folks outside have a good picture of what your news is doing. But how much news coverage from New Zealand comes into your home?

It's not surprising that Europeans, Canadians, Australians et al know more about what is happening in this country than Americans know about what is happening in their countries. The media of these countries run a hell of a lot more stories about America than the American media runs of Europe, Canada, Australia et al. For Americans to know as much about these countries as their citizens know about America, requires a lot more work on our part than on theirs.

If Canada was the only superpower on earth, my bet is that Americans would know more about Canada than Canadians would know of America.

But knowing more about America than an American knows about New Zealand, doesn't make the New Zealander an expert on American politics or press.

blatham wrote:
The second point was that to most of the rest of the Western world, American political discourse is overall so far to the right, that arguments that it is left-favoring seem like Tito arguing in relationship to Stalin, he was a real softy.

If this is true, it says more about the rest of the Western World's entrenchment in the Left, than anything about America, and further supports my belief that any "outsider" who chortles over the notion of a liberally biased American press is hardly an expert on the American press.

blatham wrote:
Well then, imagine a dinner conversation between Rupert Murdoch and his son. It's quite conceivable one might accuse the other of being too liberal. Resist chortling.

But it's not conceivable (let alone quite conceivable) that one would accuse the other of being too liberal, and so your analogy, like your insult, strains to hard.

To the ignorant ear, Portuguese and Spanish sound very much alike. What would be your take on someone who found it amusing that a Portuguese and a Spaniard might not understand each other?

blatham wrote:
Nah...you are not nearly so innocent of smug as you pretend.

Said the crime lord to the pickpocket.
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Wed 26 May, 2004 10:03 pm
Joe Nation wrote:
Since you asked, no, I don't think you are paying attention, I think you, especially you, are in denial. Your view of the present is that everything is going okay, that the actions of this President have made us somehow safer than we were on 9/11 and that with a little bit of luck all will be well in Iraq by Christmas. Maybe sooner.

Right.

Well, give it up. Take off those neo-con brightshades and have a look at the world as it is, the world as it is now, due to the actions of this dim bulb that you and yours support even as his decisions, his choices and his mistakes drive us deeper into a completely unsupportable position.

How can you continue to back the efforts of this administration? Mere kneejerk reaction? An inability, equal to the President's, of refusing to see the errors apparent to almost everyone else?

It's okay. Continue to think that we are on the right course. Just ignore reality. When the bomb goes off because this President couldn't focus on national security because of his obsession with Iraq going badly, I will be thinking of you.

see you later.
Maybe.
And I do mean maybe.

Are you paying attention yet?

Joe

Note: Paying attention doesn't mean agreeing with.

I pay attention to the demented stewbum howling on the corner that the world will end tomorrow. No doubt he too doesn't believe I'm paying attention when I walk past him shaking by head.

I suppose I could turn all of your questions back on you (How can you believe what you believe? Are you blind to reality?), but that's a fairly feeble, albeit arrogant, argument fashioned from frustration over the fact that people just will not believe the world is coming to an end tomorrow.

I pray the bomb you seem so certain will go off in NY this summer will not, but if it does, be sure to blame Bush and me rather than those pesky terrorists. Without us and our fellow neo-cons, we could have 138,000 troops patrolling the streets of New York, or scouring the tribal territories of Pakistan, while you and all our liberal friends caterwauled about the loss of individual rights in the US and how the War on Terrorism can never be won by killing terrorists.

And by the way, if we don't see you later, the worthless forum that is A2K will somehow survive.
0 Replies