Can you believe what this idiot GOP Sen. said?

nimh

Reply Fri 4 Jun, 2004 05:13 am
Finn d'Abuzz wrote:
Now, of course, you're not suggesting that liberals would be sympathetic to an apologist for pedophilia, are you?

I am, of course, not suggesting anything of the like. (I wasn't, in fact, taking part in any liberal/conservative tit-for-tat here.)

Nothing more to my post than what it said. In a range of articles, NRO writers took up the defence of Pim Fortuyn -- readers objected, pointing out that compared to what in America is called conservatism, Fortuyn was hardly right-wing at all [this is the part that chimed in with your earlier post] -- and the one NRO contributor that had taken up Fortuyn's case most enthusiastically eventually retreated and repudiated him over the allegation that Fortuyn had belittled pedophilia.

That's it, really. I thought that, regarding your earlier point that

"An extension of [Blatham's] point would seem to be that we should all find it hugely amusing whenever anyone in Europe complains of right wingers in their midst. Come to think of it, Pym Fortuyn didn't seem like such a bad guy",

it would be interesting to note that thats exactly the way the National Review argued the topic - and in surprising great detail too!
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Fri 4 Jun, 2004 10:18 pm
nimh wrote:
...it would be interesting to note that thats exactly the way the National Review argued the topic - and in surprising great detail too!

Great minds think alike.

I didn't see the Pym debate in the National Review.

As much as I enjoy the National Review, I am not a subscriber nor a regular reader.

The former because my wife has limited the number of book clubs I can join and magazines to which I can subscribe. I know that as a red blooded conservative I should exert my will over hers, but she's really mean!

The latter because few newstands carry it.

I was quite upset when Fortuyn was assasinated. Not only because it is maddening that some lunatic with a gun can circumvent the democratic process in an instant, but because I think Pym could have really shaken up European politics. It would have been fun to watch.
0 Replies

fairandbalanced

Reply Mon 7 Jun, 2004 06:39 am
Finn d'Abuzz writes

Quote:
Some photos, like those taken at Abu Ghraib, can be used to reveal unacceptable behavior by the military. Others might be used (intentionally or not) to reveal military secrets. Others still may be used to convey gruesome images of war that would serve only puerile or perverse interests.

It is not the job of the military to provide us with 138,000 freelance reporters in Iraq.

I wonder why the military did not even think of banning cameras from soldiers for fear of exposing military secrets when Geraldo Rivera was kicked out of Iraq for revealing a military secret in a live Fox TV broadcast. Why didn't it cross their minds that soldiers with cameras can do the same thing as Geraldo Rivera? Why did they wait to ban the cameras until after the military abuse photos where revealed to the public? The military knew of the photos since January of 2004. Why did they wait until now?

Apparently we don't need soldiers acting as freelance reporters to reveal military secrets. We only need Fox reporters like Rivera to do just that. Laughing
0 Replies

BillW

Reply Tue 8 Jun, 2004 08:35 am
Whoever implied this Pentagon "thinks" - the next time will be the first time Surprised
0 Replies

plainoldme

Reply Tue 8 Jun, 2004 10:52 am
Stopped getting updates . . . hope this causes them to return.
0 Replies

BillW

Reply Tue 8 Jun, 2004 02:02 pm
plainoldme wrote:
Stopped getting updates . . . hope this causes them to return.

It must be because of the idiot Senator Rolling Eyes
0 Replies

plainoldme

Reply Wed 9 Jun, 2004 09:27 am
Bill,
You never know, do you? Actually, I lose updates all the time. It's very disappointing. I think threads end and discover weeks later that they are going strong.
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Sat 12 Jun, 2004 10:19 am
fairandbalanced wrote:
Finn d'Abuzz writes

Quote:
Some photos, like those taken at Abu Ghraib, can be used to reveal unacceptable behavior by the military. Others might be used (intentionally or not) to reveal military secrets. Others still may be used to convey gruesome images of war that would serve only puerile or perverse interests.

It is not the job of the military to provide us with 138,000 freelance reporters in Iraq.

I wonder why the military did not even think of banning cameras from soldiers for fear of exposing military secrets when Geraldo Rivera was kicked out of Iraq for revealing a military secret in a live Fox TV broadcast. Why didn't it cross their minds that soldiers with cameras can do the same thing as Geraldo Rivera? Why did they wait to ban the cameras until after the military abuse photos where revealed to the public? The military knew of the photos since January of 2004. Why did they wait until now?

Apparently we don't need soldiers acting as freelance reporters to reveal military secrets. We only need Fox reporters like Rivera to do just that. Laughing

It helps to view my entire paragraph:

ME wrote:
No creativity is required because there is, essentially, no alternate reason. The prohibition of cameras is an attempt to prevent the transmission of images from members of the military in Iraq. You have cast it in terms that suggest it is a sinister plot to hide terrible truths from the American people. It may be, but that it not the only logical conclusion. First, we have to realize that the photos taken at Abu Ghraib were not snapped for the purposes of revealing the goings on to the American public. If soldiers are foolish enough to take those photos, they are liable to take photos of anything that strikes their fancy. Some photos, like those taken at Abu Ghraib, can be used to reveal unacceptable behavior by the military. Others might be used (intentionally or not) to reveal military secrets. Others still may be used to convey gruesome images of war that would serve only puerile or perverse interests. The military isn't a force of fighting free lance photographers.

Since I am not a member of Rumsfeld's staff (NEWS ALERT!) I can't answer your question, but it may be that at the time the Pentagon didn't realize how snapshot happy its soldiers might be.
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Sat 12 Jun, 2004 12:26 pm
Quote:
Since I am not a member of Rumsfeld's staff (NEWS ALERT!) I can't answer your question, but it may be that at the time the Pentagon didn't realize how snapshot happy its soldiers might be.

Well, you're from Dallas, which automatically entails ebola-like republicoidal brain infection and accounts for half of what you write (I'm an optimist, and prefer to see you as half-balanced rather than the more depressing alternative).

"It may be the Pentagon and Rummie et all did not realize how snapshot happy the soldiers would be". Kodak moments...precious.
0 Replies

BillW

Reply Sat 12 Jun, 2004 04:06 pm
If there is a camera, then anything is possible to be snapped - then again, if it is a camera phone - oh ****, after all they are just secretaries and not expected to think of everything Shocked
0 Replies

Acquiunk

Reply Sat 12 Jun, 2004 04:25 pm
It is my understanding that some (and I don't know how many) of the photographs taken inside Abu Ghraib were to be shown to other prisoners during interrogation as threats illustrating what could happen to them if they did not cooperate, or in case where the faces were shown for black mail. In this case the threats would be that the photo's would be sent to family members if the prisoner did not cooperate.

Some of the photographs were for personal use but it is my understanding many of them were part of the interrogation/torture process.
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Sat 12 Jun, 2004 05:37 pm
Acq

Yes, that's information I've seen too.
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Sat 12 Jun, 2004 10:13 pm
blatham wrote:
Quote:

Well, you're from Dallas, which automatically entails ebola-like republicoidal brain infection and accounts for half of what you write (I'm an optimist, and prefer to see you as half-balanced rather than the more depressing alternative).

"It may be the Pentagon and Rummie et all did not realize how snapshot happy the soldiers would be". Kodak moments...precious.

No, I'm located in Dallas. I'm from New York, which automatically entails an arrogant confidence in my positions. Are you from Toronto? If so, that would explain virtually 100% of what you write.
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Sat 12 Jun, 2004 10:16 pm
Acquiunk wrote:
It is my understanding that some (and I don't know how many) of the photographs taken inside Abu Ghraib were to be shown to other prisoners during interrogation as threats illustrating what could happen to them if they did not cooperate, or in case where the faces were shown for black mail. In this case the threats would be that the photo's would be sent to family members if the prisoner did not cooperate.

Some of the photographs were for personal use but it is my understanding many of them were part of the interrogation/torture process.

See then? The camera ban was part of an effort to put a halt to such sordid practices.
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Sat 12 Jun, 2004 10:47 pm
Finn d'Abuzz wrote:
blatham wrote:
Quote:

No, I'm located in Dallas. I'm from New York, which automatically entails an arrogant confidence in my positions. Are you from Toronto? If so, that would explain virtually 100% of what you write.

But I'm not. Born and raised as a Mennonite in Chilliwack, then a smallish farming community some 60 miles up The Mighty Fraser from Vancouver. By 20, my blonde hair reached near my waist and I was startlingly beautiful when naked. I moved to Vancouver at that period and attended the University of BC socially for a short time. This exceptionally beautiful liberal city has been my home ever since.

New York to Dallas. Did you notice, arriving in Dallas, that there was no Statue of Liberty to greet you? Possibly you missed this clue.
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Sat 12 Jun, 2004 11:24 pm
blatham wrote:
Finn d'Abuzz wrote:
blatham wrote:
Quote:

But I'm not. Born and raised as a Mennonite in Chilliwack, then a smallish farming community some 60 miles up The Mighty Fraser from Vancouver. By 20, my blonde hair reached near my waist and I was startlingly beautiful when naked. I moved to Vancouver at that period and attended the University of BC socially for a short time. This exceptionally beautiful liberal city has been my home ever since.

New York to Dallas. Did you notice, arriving in Dallas, that there was no Statue of Liberty to greet you? Possibly you missed this clue.

Well then, I'm at a loss to explain your views.

I too had waist length hair in my younger days, so that can't be it.

Maybe it has something to do with your being raised a Mennonite.

I didn't move from NY to Dallas. I needed 20 years of reprograming in the South before I became worthy of Texas, but when I did move here I was greeted by a beautiful woman of Mexican heritage who was partial to books, but not torches and spikey headwear.
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Sun 13 Jun, 2004 06:24 am
Well, perhaps you weren't startlingly beautiful when naked. I can only imagine the psychological consequences of that.

We Mennonites are pacifists. For us, dairy cows exemplify the upper reaches of permissable aggression. We like books too. Thus I'm leaning towards the theory that your Mexican wife has improved you.

Perhaps much is explainable in the spikey hair thing. This clearly suggests you are out of that tail end of my generation who tried to find God through solvents.
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Sun 13 Jun, 2004 12:25 pm
blatham wrote:
Well, perhaps you weren't startlingly beautiful when naked. I can only imagine the psychological consequences of that.

We Mennonites are pacifists. For us, dairy cows exemplify the upper reaches of permissable aggression. We like books too. Thus I'm leaning towards the theory that your Mexican wife has improved you.

Perhaps much is explainable in the spikey hair thing. This clearly suggests you are out of that tail end of my generation who tried to find God through solvents.

Who said she was my wife?

Spikey headwear, not hair. Appears the Statue of Liberty allusion alluded you.
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Sun 13 Jun, 2004 02:01 pm
Allusions, illusions, elusions...you republicans always get those mixed up. "Usama had illuded us"

Do the honorable thing. Don't marry her. She'll likely come to regret her relationship with you even more than I have.
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Sun 13 Jun, 2004 09:58 pm
Quote:
the disclosures that the military's own interrogators had alerted superiors to abuse back then in internal documents has not been previously reported.

At least 20 accounts of mistreatment were included in the documents, according to those interviewed. Some detainees described abuse at other detention facilities before they were transferred to Abu Ghraib, but at least seven incidents said to be cited in the documents took place at the prison, four of them in the area controlled by military intelligence and the site of the notorious abuses depicted in the photographs.
http://www.nytimes.com/2004/06/14/international/middleeast/14ABUS.html?hp
0 Replies