Just Curious. What Are You?

Frank Apisa

Reply Thu 8 May, 2014 11:25 am
@Setanta,
Setanta wrote:

What a nice example of vicious projection. I haven't called for a revolution, and i'm not peddling theology. Maybe it's been a good thing for us, too, that you haven't been around. Don't mention that low-life scumbag Frank with me in the same post.

http://i276.photobucket.com/albums/kk17/frankapisa/Jabba_zps78fce165.jpg
0 Replies

georgeob1

Reply Thu 8 May, 2014 11:46 am
@Setanta,
Setanta wrote:

What a nice example of vicious projection. I haven't called for a revolution, and i'm not peddling theology. Maybe it's been a good thing for us, too, that you haven't been around. Don't mention that low-life scumbag Frank with me in the same post.

Actually there was no projection at all. It was merely an attempt at wry acceptance of the reality here and weariness with an increasingly pointless debate about constantly moving targets & "issues".

There was an old Navy saying that comes to mind here:
"Don't get in a fight with a pig. You both get dirty, but the pig likes it."

I can see that Frank is at a loss for words, but still ready to stoop to lower levels.
glitterbag

Reply Thu 8 May, 2014 11:51 am
@Setanta,
Setanta wrote:

I didn't say that contempt is friendly, so that's a straw man. My contempt is not for O'George, but for the ideas he has posted. Contempt is not automatically hostility, either.

I'm not trying to pick a fight, it's just incongruous to me that contempt of someone's opinion isn't hostile. That's just my interpretation of the words, you don't have to explain anything to me, I'm backing out of thread. The OP's question strikes me as boxing people into a corner as if one label describes every option or belief people hold. My comment was not meant to provoke you, I am hoping you can see this as non-threatening, for me it's a tomato, toe mah toe.
Frank Apisa

Reply Thu 8 May, 2014 11:51 am
@georgeob1,
georgeob1 wrote:

Setanta wrote:

Actually there was no projection at all. It was merely an attempt at wry acceptance of the reality here and weariness with an increasingly pointless debate about constantly moving targets & "issues".

I can see that Frank is at a loss for words, but still ready to stoop to lower levels.

Okay, okay...I will break a vow and apologize...although apologizing to a cartoon like character from a sci-fi movie really is silly.

0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Thu 8 May, 2014 11:52 am
@glitterbag,
Pick a fight with someone else, glitter hag.
Setanta

Reply Thu 8 May, 2014 11:53 am
@georgeob1,
I haven't moved any targets. The expression to which you refer was probably old before the Navy was founded. You have no conception of just how low Frank will stoop.
Frank Apisa

Reply Thu 8 May, 2014 11:58 am
@Setanta,
Setanta wrote:

I haven't moved any targets. The expression to which you refer was probably old before the Navy was founded. You have no conception of just how low Frank will stoop.

I'll betcha he can make a good guess on how low you are able to stoop, Jabba.

Wink Wink
0 Replies

glitterbag

Reply Thu 8 May, 2014 12:03 pm
@Setanta,
Setanta wrote:

Pick a fight with someone else, glitter hag.

I told you I wasn't picking a fight, doesn't anything ever roll off your back? I don't understand why you are so angry all the time, but to each his own. Did you actually read what I wrote? I have no intention of picking a fight with you, especially over this thread. I don't have a dog in this fight. My response on page one describes my take on Finn's question. Geesh, peace dude.
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Thu 8 May, 2014 12:08 pm
@Frank Apisa,
I already gave you what I think is the conservative position on the death penalty.

What I believe the conservation position on personal gun ownership is that the second amendment enshrines in as a protected right.

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Thu 8 May, 2014 12:10 pm
@glitterbag,
Then don't participate in the discussion. I promise I won't be hurt.
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Thu 8 May, 2014 12:11 pm
@Finn dAbuzz,
Finn dAbuzz wrote:

I already gave you what I think is the conservative position on the death penalty.

What I believe the conservation position on personal gun ownership is that the second amendment enshrines in as a protected right.

Thank you, Finn.

I think it is strange that the two leading execution states are reliable Red States. Wonder how they managed to get such tough capital punishment legislation if it is not part of the conservative agenda.

Hint: Advocacy for the death penalty has, and probably always will be, a high priority for American conservatives...even if you think it is not.
georgeob1

Reply Thu 8 May, 2014 12:12 pm
@Setanta,
Setanta wrote:

The expression to which you refer was probably old before the Navy was founded.

Very likely it was. I recall once long ago while I was still in college and wandering through the old main library in Philadelphia - they were all open stack arrangements then - and aimlessly coming across a dusty old volume entitled "An Anthology of Medieval Islamic Literature". Unable to resist I picked it up and thumbed through it, coming on a section with rather short segments, perfect to attract the eye of a casual observer. It turned out they were a collection of what were called "Frank jokes" --- a collection of familiar themes from all the ethnic jokes I had ever heard, now about the Crusaders in the Middle east. There was the stupid Frank, the cuckold Frank, the uncultured Frank, etc. Substitute Mick, Dago, Polack, Nigger, or any other group epithet and they were all familiar to me.
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Thu 8 May, 2014 12:17 pm
@engineer,
Thanks, I'm not trying to force people to declare, and I appreciate that many people are not absolutists in terms of their ideology, but in my experience people truly are generally, at least, conservative or progressive in their view of the workings of life.

I agree with you BTW that this a time of
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Thu 8 May, 2014 12:18 pm
There are many competitors for the title of oldest profession, "comedian" being one of them.
Walter Hinteler

Reply Thu 8 May, 2014 12:22 pm
@georgeob1,
georgeob1 wrote:
Very similar to what we used to say: "Arguing with a naval aviator is like wrestling with a pig in mud. After a while, you realise the pig likes it."
Finn dAbuzz

Reply Thu 8 May, 2014 12:37 pm
@engineer,
Thanks, I'm not trying to force people to declare, and I appreciate that many people are not absolutists in terms of their ideology, but in my experience people truly are generally, at least, conservative or progressive in their view of the workings of life.

I'm very comfortable in stating that, in general, my viewpoint on most matters is predicated on what I consider conservative principles. If someone isn't so comfortable in declaring how they consider themselves in these terms that's fine. I have to say though that I do find the protestations of some in this forum that they cannot be so easily defined to be amusing, which is why I have requested those who insist that they are progressive on some issues and conservative on others ( to a degree to which a general identification would not at all be apt) please offer examples. Anyone and everyone, of course, is free to ignore my request.

It is not my intent to point at anyone who does respond and shout "Liar! You don't believe what you say you believe!" I will though offer my opinion, as I did with Frank, as to why I believe they have "mislabeled," if you will, certain beliefs. I would expect that this is likely to be the case, far more often, as regards positions people believe to be conservative, as opposed to progressive, simply because of the fact that there are far more members of this forum who are progressive or lean progressive, than their ideological counter-parts.

Clearly, mine is not the final word on what is conservative and what is progressive, but it's my thread, and I reserve the right to do so. If anyone finds this arrogant or offensive, they need only not respond. Of course they can also post that they find it arrogant and offensive, but I hope they have the good grace to do so but once and then exit the field.

I agree with you BTW that this is an amazing time in terms of information access. I don't see that in terms that can be defined as conservative or progressive.
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Thu 8 May, 2014 12:37 pm
@engineer,
And thanks for responding.
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Thu 8 May, 2014 12:41 pm
@FreeDuck,
But the question is not predicated upon how others define the terms, but upon how you do.

I'm sure that not everyone would agree that I have no right to consider myself a conservative, but why would I care?
0 Replies

Trollpatrol

Reply Thu 8 May, 2014 12:44 pm
@Marc Cobain,
Quote:
Hope I didnt hurt your feelings or anything, & actually, I prefer women, so... No boyscouts for me. I just figure, why not answer the "actual question".
Touche, btw

You are clearly too smart to debate. I yield.
Finn dAbuzz

Reply Thu 8 May, 2014 12:46 pm
@Thomas,
And yet you have embraced a label you find appropriate, so the idea of labeling your philosophy or world view should not seem foolish to you.

Whether everyone in the world agrees with your definition of Utilitarian is something I doubt causes you sleepless nights.