Just Curious. What Are You?

glitterbag

Reply Tue 20 May, 2014 04:52 pm
@Marc Cobain,
Marc Cobain wrote:

I agree, he's kinda a... childish prick. maybe theres some "frindly contempt", for him Wink

Disclaimer: I'm unaware if I called anyone childish on this thread, so although I recognized the friendly contempt reference, I swear on my Parents Graves I never used the first seven words as a reference to Set. He's already pissed at me for something, I just don't remember what.

So before I wrote the disclaimer above, I penned the words below.....wanted to try to explain I wasn't taking a dig a Set.

Yeah that puzzles me. It was a serious question, not sure what I did to piss him off, don't even remember having a serious disagreement, or a dust up of any kind. But maybe "have contempt" is something the youngsters have turned into a new slang word like "wow, that's sick", when they admire something. Never been a big fan of trying to use slang, always the danger of using an out of date term. That's why I never tell anyone anymore that they're the bees knees, or 23 skidoo (I think that's the way the ancients used to spell it) but I can understand most slang when I hear it. If not, I depend on a younger person to define it for me.
0 Replies

Advocate

Reply Thu 22 May, 2014 08:06 pm
@Lash,
Lash wrote:

My dear - it is my opinion that we already suffer an oligarchy.

My opinion is that we are well into a plutocracy, not an oligarchy. Moreover, I think that Madame Lafarge is knitting a revolution as I write.
glitterbag

Reply Thu 22 May, 2014 08:12 pm
@Advocate,
I'm going with advocate on plutocracy.
Builder

Reply Thu 22 May, 2014 08:21 pm
@glitterbag,
Quote:
I'm going with advocate on plutocracy.

Technically, it is both. Either descriptor fits.

Though the push is clearly on for globalism, and I'm not so sure the wealthy in America want that.
glitterbag

Reply Thu 22 May, 2014 08:41 pm
@Builder,
Not to sound indecisive, I will agree with that. I just get weak in the knees when a word starts with Pluto. It's ambrosia. As far as the wealthy, they will do as they please until they are stopped. During WWII, war profiteering was a crime, not so much now. They don't make presidents like Roosevelt anymore.
Builder

Reply Thu 22 May, 2014 08:44 pm
@glitterbag,
Ambrosia. Chuckles.

Despite knowing our predicament, most feel impotent in the face of it.

glitterbag

Reply Thu 22 May, 2014 08:51 pm
@Builder,
Yes, sadly that's the case. Get out the vote. I haven't missed an election since I was of age to vote. Go heels!!
Builder

Reply Thu 22 May, 2014 08:54 pm
@glitterbag,
When people say that it's a wasted vote if you choose a third-party candidate, does that mean they don't ever get a chance to get in? Independents like Bernie Sanders, Vermont seem to be the only sane voice in Congress, to me.

Lash

Reply Thu 22 May, 2014 08:58 pm
@Builder,
Please people. Be ******* brave enough to vote your conscience in the booth. Forget the two party bullshit they've sold us. If you have a palatable option - VOTE it. I'm begging Bernie to run. Bug the **** out of him on Twitter, please.
Builder

Reply Thu 22 May, 2014 09:02 pm
@Lash,
I'm Australian, Lash. We're experiencing a disaster-capitalist tory take-over at the moment.

They're moves afoot to make it very difficult for independents and smaller parties to campaign effectively.

It's a class war, and we, the people, are currently losing. But it's not over yet.
Lash

Reply Thu 22 May, 2014 09:24 pm
@Builder,
We're in the same boat. Solidarity with you Aussies.
Builder

Reply Thu 22 May, 2014 09:34 pm
@Lash,
Thankyou.

I've often wondered what the outcome would be, if everyone just stayed home for a week.
glitterbag

Reply Thu 22 May, 2014 10:40 pm
@Builder,
WOW, that would make a dent. Folks who worship money, want more money. They are happy to place restrictions on what they think is their right, but buckle at the knees when the money flow is curtailed. Look at what black Americans did back in the 60's. they opted out on public transportation, and didn't spend their money in stores that denied them at the lunch counter. It's money they are after. They believe that the tap would never end. How did that work our for the racists????
Builder

Reply Thu 22 May, 2014 11:44 pm
@glitterbag,
It's like with all this GMO outcry, and people expecting the gov't to "do something". I keep telling people the same line; the power is in your hands. Don't buy their products. Boycott their poison. Teach your children what is safe, and what is not.

I'll still be marching against monsatan this weekend though, because it will be my fourth march. Smile
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Fri 23 May, 2014 05:41 am
Sorry, folks, but those of you who advocate a third party (or independent) candidate...just a kidding yourselves about the problem besetting democracy and politics in action.

Here in the US...it is not the fact that the Democrats and Republicans are running things and often do things that benefit themselves and their families rather than benefit the many.

The real trouble is that HUMAN BEINGS are running things...and HUMAN BEINGS often do things that benefit themselves and their families rather than benefit the many.

That is the true state of things.

Propose a third party if you must...but don't be surprised if those people are corrupted as soon as they gain enough power to actually have an impact on things...BECAUSE THEY WILL BE CORRUPTED just as soon as they gain enough power to actually have an impact on things.

HUMANS are corrupted by power...and the moment they have a chance to enrich themselves and their families...THEY DO IT.

Don't get me wrong...most politicians WILL do whatever they can to help the mass of humanity that they represent...

...but only if it does not interfere with getting as much for themselves as possible.

There are ways around this problem.

But first we all have to recognize that this is the problem...not that the Democrats and Republicans are not fairly representing the masses.
0 Replies

Olivier5

Reply Fri 23 May, 2014 06:46 am
@Lash,
It can be mathematically proven that a system with just one round of voting cannot work well with more than two parties. In order to break the two-party mold, you would need to change the US constitution. And we all know that's next to impossible.

People who voted Nader in 2000 ended up electing Bush. That's sad but it's the way a 'one round' election works.
ehBeth

Reply Fri 23 May, 2014 06:57 am
@Olivier5,
Olivier5 wrote:
It can be mathematically proven that a system with just one round of voting cannot work well with more than two parties.

really? it seems to work pretty well here in Canada
Olivier5

Reply Fri 23 May, 2014 07:05 am
@ehBeth,
Canada has a parliamentary system, which could reduces the impact prrhaps. Although even in the UK it's hard as hell for any new party to exist in the ballot box.
izzythepush

Reply Fri 23 May, 2014 08:29 am
@Olivier5,
Not today. UKIP are doing really well.
Olivier5

Reply Fri 23 May, 2014 09:00 am
@izzythepush,
How many MPs do they have?