Reply Fri 11 Apr, 2014 05:16 pm
Well I'm an university student, and one of my teachers who's tge youngest amount them has been acting weirdly this semester! At first he wouldn't look my way except when I'm looking down, but now he keeps staring andsmiling to himself alot, like when he sees me standing somewhere he looks and smile then leaves! The other day I came up to him asking for some explanations concerning the lesson and he had troubles talking and made quit alot of mistakes explaining and I saw that he was nervous! I don't know what I should do to make sure if he does like me or not! I'm afraid of believing in those signs then be disappointed! What do you think? And yes I do like him! Thanks for answering in advance!
PS: teacher-student relationship is acceptable in my university as long as the student is not forced!
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 2 • Views: 2,758 • Replies: 74

chai2

Reply Fri 11 Apr, 2014 05:42 pm
@kitty1990,
and what university is this?

do you think his wife will approve?

you know that student in "Terms of Endearment" that was ******* Emma's stupid husband Flap?

if I were Emma, I would have knocked both that bitch and her idiot husband out with a shovel, and gone back to Iowa to John Lithgow.
kitty1990

Reply Fri 11 Apr, 2014 05:49 pm
@chai2,
Thanks for ur answer! If he was married or in a relationship I wouldn't even look at him in any romantic way! But he's single and we're almost the same age! He just started teaching not long ago!
ossobuco

Reply Fri 11 Apr, 2014 05:57 pm
@kitty1990,
I've a similar but differently worded point of view as Chai -

Acceptable in your university or not, the reason many universities won't allow it - especially within a particular class but not limited to that - is because of the power differential. I think they are right. He can favor you re grades, or potentially cut your grades down for the wrong reasons. Even without the grade business, it's a matter of professional trust not to hit on those in your charge.

Your behavior, which I assume is because you think he is so wonderful (many get crushes on teachers), can also be taken as sucking up for special grading. At least get past any of your classes with him before you sting like a bee and get your wish.

Over the years, famous people have married their teachers. Many more crushes have turned things into a mess instead. Look around and find a fellow student to crush on.
chai2

Reply Fri 11 Apr, 2014 06:57 pm
@kitty1990,
kitty1990 wrote:

Thanks for ur answer! If he was married or in a relationship I wouldn't even look at him in any romantic way! But he's single and we're almost the same age! He just started teaching not long ago!

You didn't answer my question.

What university?
kitty1990

Reply Sat 12 Apr, 2014 04:46 am
@ossobuco,
I don't think he's wonderful, actually he has so many unperfections and that's what made him different! I still have classes with him next year! But as for the grades matter he's not that type of teachers so I think my grades won't be affected!
kitty1990

Reply Sat 12 Apr, 2014 04:48 am
@chai2,
We live in two different countries so even if I tell you what university it is, you wouldn't know it.
chai2

Reply Sat 12 Apr, 2014 09:34 am
@kitty1990,
How do you know we live in different countries?

Plus, you're right, how could I ever have knowledge of something outside of whatever country I live in? Rolling Eyes

For all you know, I could have gone to the same university.

I think you're full of crap.

0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Sat 12 Apr, 2014 10:24 am
This is the second go-round for this joker. She's a troll.
chai2

Reply Sat 12 Apr, 2014 11:33 am
@Setanta,
I know. That's how I know she's full of crap.

I'm sick and tired of dealing with stupid people. "Oh, you wouldn't know my university because we live in different countries" Even if this not a troll, what a idiotic comment to make.

I get disgusted at how many people fall for these evasive, bumbling tactics and give up getting their questions answered.

Worse yet are others who then think you're being awful for insisting your question(s) be answered.
kitty1990

Reply Sat 12 Apr, 2014 03:02 pm
@chai2,
Excuse me? I came here asking for an advice and not for rude comments! If u don't like what I'm asking then don't bother and answer me! I didn't force anyone to! I found this site by chance but I didn't think it had ignorant and racists people like u! Since most of the replies I read on otherqquestions were actually respectful and helpful! And yes I said that because obviously this site doesn't force u to tell ur ID to strangers which I liked about it (privicy if u heard about it)! Also I wouldn't waist my time trolling people as an senior in university time is precious for me!
roger

Reply Sat 12 Apr, 2014 03:29 pm
@kitty1990,
You're a senior and have classes with him next year. Post grad?
ossobuco

Reply Sat 12 Apr, 2014 04:04 pm
@kitty1990,
I understand (actually I do), but others' perceptions may differ.

I've had crushes in my life but never a big one for a teacher, so I haven't been through this particular variety of crushes. I had a couple of small ones for teachers but nothing for anyone to even blink about, including me. However, I've been associated with one professor who repeatedly got himself into trouble (not including the one he married; he made a big jump in life style there, not sure how that turned out).

edit to say - fairness for all students in a class is one of the issues; that and the perceptions of it are another side of the power question.
0 Replies

jespah

Reply Sat 12 Apr, 2014 04:47 pm
@kitty1990,
kitty1990 wrote:
PS: teacher-student relationship is acceptable in my university as long as the student is not forced!

That's doubtful. Even if it turns out to be 100% absolutely, God's honest true, if you get a class he is teaching, or one of his friends is teaching, it will turn problematic very, very quickly. You are a student, and therefore you are a revenue stream. Professors without tenure are financial liabilities to schools, and new professors don't have tenure. Guess what happens if there is a breach of impropriety then?

Guys like him end up getting fired.
chai2

Reply Sat 12 Apr, 2014 04:55 pm
@kitty1990,
kitty1990 wrote:

Excuse me? I came here asking for an advice and not for rude comments! If u don't like what I'm asking then don't bother and answer me!

I'm not answering you, I'm asking you a direct question. One you're obviously not going to answer, since you're a troll. Saying what university you're at doesn't ID you.
chai2

Reply Sat 12 Apr, 2014 04:56 pm
@chai2,
racist?

where the **** did that come from?

oh, that's right, you're just throwing words together in random patterns. My bad.
0 Replies

kitty1990

Reply Sat 12 Apr, 2014 05:14 pm
@roger,
Well let me explain! I'm in north africa, in my university we study by semester, in my first semester which was in my first year I didn't pass his class there for I have to take the class again after my 6th semester and pass it in order to get my degree! If u guys understand french I would have explained this better!
kitty1990

Reply Sat 12 Apr, 2014 05:18 pm
@jespah,
I haven't thought about him being fired since he's been teaching for almost 5 years now! And that's the last thing I want to happen! Thanks for ur answer
kitty1990

Reply Sat 12 Apr, 2014 05:21 pm
@chai2,
A student in LA FACULTÉ DES SCIENCES JURIDIQUES, ÉCONOMIQUES ET SOCIALES in Rabat! And if u think I'm a troll then don't bother answering me! Simple as that! Thank u
ossobuco

Reply Sat 12 Apr, 2014 05:23 pm
@kitty1990,
I think our poster has a lack of understanding going on, but I don't get the troll accusation - isn't this her first post?