The Death Penalty - Should it be abolished?

edgarblythe

Reply Sat 1 May, 2004 11:07 am
If there were no other means to deal with certain crimes, I would be all for the death penalty. Since there are, what more needs to be said?
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Sat 1 May, 2004 07:02 pm
blatham wrote:
Well, it's a bit difficult to imagine what moral issues you might acknowledge, given that you seem to hold capital punishment and state/community policies to be empty of moral issues.

Sorry blatham, but I don't feel the need to prepare for you a list of all issues which I believe to have a mooring in morality. If, in the constricted sphere of your imagination, you find it difficult to believe I acknowledge morality, so be it.

I have laid out why I believe the institutionalization of Capital Punishment doesn't have a moral component. I see no point in repeating myself.

blatham wrote:
Futher, its a bit tough to figure how you are going to ground your notions on morality. You acknowledge (to Edgar) that intent is somehow relevant to whether punishment ought to follow some act, but it's unclear why you would think so. Lovely examples, by the way.

The subject of discussion is not how I think. I'm flattered that you seek to understand the workings of my mind, but you digress from the topic, and I have no intention of following you.

blatham wrote:

Sure. Moral absolutes seem a tad infantile to me, unless stipulated in a particular manner, eg UNNECESSARY cruelty.

This presumes that what you believe to be unnecessary is absolute. So a moral absolute that adheres to blatham's definitions is not infantile.

baltham wrote:
You repeat that 'retribution' is moral, and absence of retribution is immoral. You also describe retribution as 'logical', which I take it you find identical to 'balanced' in this context. Retribution = logical = balanced = moral.

Good for you! You've discovered the equation.

blatham wrote:
One gets the clear notion that you feel justice would be most properly, and most morally, meted out by a computer.

By "one," I assume you mean you.

Properly programmed, yes a machine intelligence could do a fine job in meting out justice.

blatham wrote:
So, both a fifteen year old, born with fetal alcohol syndrome, and with no prior criminal behavior kills a man in circumstances which are unclear, and a fellow of 38 with priors for armed robbery, rape, and assault who murders a 7-11 clerk ought to get executed on the same sunny afternoon?

Not at all. If you read what I wrote for other than points with which you might take issue, you would realize the the very issue of "intent" which you have acknowledged, but have, apparently, failed to comprehend comes into play with your hypothetical.

If the facts are so unclear as to be able to establish a reasonably certain understanding of why the 15 year old killed the man, his own death cannot be determined to be appropriate retribution.

Likewise the "bad guy" who kills the 7-11 clerk. Your scenario identifies him as a bad guy, but doesn't offer an explanation as to why he killed the clerk.

For your benefit, I will repeat once more: Irrespective of why these two killed their victims, neither should be executed by The State on a sunny or even rainy afternoon. The families of the victims cannot be allowed to kill them in retribution whether or not such punishment can be deemed just. While one or both might actually deserve death, there is not a proper mechanism through which to deliver their just punishment.

The morally correct action is not always feasible.

blatham wrote:
Help me out. The grandstands are high and far away, and those pennants you are waving so enthusiastically appear teensie from here.

It's funny how that tends to happen when one resides in the grandstands.
A good reason to come on down from self elevated heights.
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Sat 1 May, 2004 07:15 pm
edgarblythe wrote:
If there were no other means to deal with certain crimes, I would be all for the death penalty. Since there are, what more needs to be said?

edgar, you seem to be fond of finality. However, while you keep promising to say no more, you return again and again.

Here's something new you can add: Tell us of these sure fire means there are to deal with "certain" (capital) crimes?

Life imprisonment without parole? Do you know how often such a punishment is actually meted out?

Rehabilitation? Please...

Lobotomy? No moral issues there.

What is interesting in your argument is that you do not believe the death penalty is immoral, merely unnecessary.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sat 1 May, 2004 07:22 pm
The death penalty would be a necessity if there were no other way to deal with the problem. And, as a matter of fact, life without parole is the answer. You would see it imposed many times more if there were no death penalty (that's the reason you don't see it that often, Finn).
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Sat 1 May, 2004 07:26 pm
Cephus wrote:
dlowan wrote:
Hmmm - my understanding is capital punishment works IF a potential offender feels certain they will be convicted, AND if the sentence is carried out very fast.

Capital punishment works 100% of the time. The person executed will never commit another crime, period. That's why it's called capital PUNISHMENT! It's a PUNISHMENT! It has nothing to do with stopping others from commiting crimes, it is a just punishment for a very few crimes which society has deemed so horrible that this individual doesn't deserve to continue consuming oxygen on this planet.

So - it is ok to kill if it stops a person from performing any further reprehensible actions?

I would therefore be justified in killing, say, George Bush, because his orders killed 10,000 Iraqis? Or my own Prime Minister for ordering Australian troops to kill in what I believe to be an unjust invasion? Or the husband of my client who has raped the kids?

Or is only the state authorised to kill?
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sat 1 May, 2004 07:31 pm
Incidentally, Finn; I am fond of finality. I have little patience as I grow older.
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Sat 1 May, 2004 07:40 pm
edgarblythe wrote:
You would see it imposed many times more if there were no death penalty (that's the reason you don't see it that often, Finn).

So how do you explain the criminals who get finite sentences when they could get the death penalty?

Actually, I think we are both talking without any real backing of facts. I'll have to do some research on this.
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Sat 1 May, 2004 07:42 pm
edgarblythe wrote:
Incidentally, Finn; I am fond of finality. I have little patience as I grow older.

Fondness, obviously, doesn't translate into adherence.

Your capacity for patience should increase as you age, but this is another thread.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sat 1 May, 2004 07:47 pm
Only lawyers and judges can unravel it, I guess. But, we are really speaking hypothetically. The real world doesn't pay much attention to a thread like this one.
0 Replies

mporter

Reply Sat 1 May, 2004 08:11 pm
Edgar Blythe is correct. You can get the same result without the Death Penalty. Let's face it. The Death Penalty is parcticed by countries who are still in the middle ages. The Saudis and the Lybians are among the most corrupted minds in the entire world. The Death Penalty should be abolished world wide.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sat 1 May, 2004 08:15 pm
mporter
Welcome to a2k. I think I'm gonna like you.
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Sat 1 May, 2004 08:18 pm
mporter wrote:
Edgar Blythe is correct. You can get the same result without the Death Penalty. Let's face it. The Death Penalty is parcticed by countries who are still in the middle ages. The Saudis and the Lybians are among the most corrupted minds in the entire world. The Death Penalty should be abolished world wide.

Thus sprach mporter.

The Death Penality results in absolutley certainty that the wrongdoer will never do wrong again. How can that be otherwise duplicated?

Why should the Death Penalty be abolished worldwide?
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Sat 1 May, 2004 08:50 pm
Is this the only consideration in judicial killing, Finn?

Do you deny anything else is relevant to the matter?
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Sat 1 May, 2004 09:46 pm
dlowan wrote:

Is what the only consideration?

That the judiciary cannot be trusted to execute the process with infalibility?

Yes.

There are, I acknowledge, other relevant issues for consideration, but when all is said and down it boils down to this one.

For those who believe it is immoral to execute criminals (assuming we can be 100% certain of their guilt) I would like to hear why.

Because Saudia Arabia and Libya execute criminals doesn't mean it is immoral.

Because there are equivalent alternatives? There are not. To suggest that there are is at best naive.

Because any sort of killing is immoral? OK, but that means ANY sort of killing, including self defense.

A lot of people on this thread want to tell me I am wrong, which is fine, but I wonder if they can tell me why they are right.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sat 1 May, 2004 09:48 pm
Been there and done that, Finn.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Sat 1 May, 2004 10:09 pm
Finn d'Abuzz wrote:
dlowan wrote:

Is what the only consideration?

That the judiciary cannot be trusted to execute the process with infalibility?

Yes.

There are, I acknowledge, other relevant issues for consideration, but when all is said and down it boils down to this one.

For those who believe it is immoral to execute criminals (assuming we can be 100% certain of their guilt) I would like to hear why.

Because Saudia Arabia and Libya execute criminals doesn't mean it is immoral.

Because there are equivalent alternatives? There are not. To suggest that there are is at best naive.

Because any sort of killing is immoral? OK, but that means ANY sort of killing, including self defense.

A lot of people on this thread want to tell me I am wrong, which is fine, but I wonder if they can tell me why they are right.

I was asking if you felt the only effect of capital punishment was to render an offender unable to offend again?

But I see you do acknowledge other effects.

I do not have much time right now - but the self-defence thing is interesting.

Judicial killing re self defence appears to operate upon the basis that - since the prisoner is not a threat to society at large at the time that s/he is killed, but is rather held closely imprisoned - the killing is to prevent future threats.

This would not, I think, be accepted as a justification for killing a person rendered harmless for the moment by a citizen - eg, you have disarmed a gunman threatening you in your home, and locked him in a strong cupboard.

The "morality" - or at least legality - of self-defence seems to rest upon the notion of an immediate threat.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Sat 1 May, 2004 10:12 pm
Only in my case.
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Sat 1 May, 2004 10:49 pm
dlowan wrote:

I was asking if you felt the only effect of capital punishment was to render an offender unable to offend again?

Not at all.

Others on this thread have argued that the goal of society should be to render the offender unable to offend again.

I agree, however short of capital punishment, I don't see how this can be done. Rehabilitation as a viable process doesn't exist. Incarceration, unless it is for the life of the criminal, doesn't come close to assuring this save for those years in which the criminal is imprisoned.

Thus, if this goal is sacrosanct, there is no real alternative but capital punishment. Clearly, though, the goal is not sacrosanct and there is little tolerance in this country, at least, for such a draconian solution.

There isn't even tolerance for life imprisonment for all offenders, and, therefore the notion that it should be society's goal to prevent offenders from offending again is, in practice, baseless.

Capital punishment can prevent offenders from offending again, but it can also balance the scales, and it is the latter attribute that I find attractive.

Despite what some of my critics might suggest, a balancing of the scales is not a cold and mechanical process. On the contrary, it is based on a very humanistic notion of fairness.
0 Replies

Wilso

Reply Sat 1 May, 2004 11:58 pm
Finn, what would YOU say to a family of someone wrongly executed?
0 Replies

MyOwnUsername

Reply Sun 2 May, 2004 01:48 am
Don't worry, we'll kill someone else to get balance?
0 Replies