The Death Penalty - Should it be abolished?

edgarblythe

Reply Fri 30 Apr, 2004 09:01 pm
No matter how one twists it, killing is not the solution to killing. I've already given plenty of reasons why that is. The arguments on this thread are at the point of repeating themselves. I don't care to restate it endlessly.
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Fri 30 Apr, 2004 09:23 pm
Craven de Kere wrote:

Just as has violence and many other ignoble traits.

If "trait" is defined as a genetically determined characteristic, then I don't know how it can be considered ignoble. The capacity for violence is a trait in this sense. How that capacity is employed determines the nature of one's character, and not the capacity itself.

If it is defined as a feature of one's character then violence is not a trait. It is a means to express a feature of one's character.

In any case, a lack of nobility is not quite the same as a lack of morality.

Craven wrote:
Thing is, to me, retribution is one thing and vengeance is another. I've no qualm with retribution in a justice system. I do have a qualm with vengeance in a justice system.

The definition you quote comes with an additional portion in some dictionaries:

[QUOTE"Webster's Revised Unabridged Dictionary"]Punishment inflicted in return for an injury or an offense; retribution; -- often, in a bad sense, passionate or unrestrained revenge.

Vengeance need not involve passion, but to the extent that it does, I would agree its kind is not a welcome addition to the justice system, but only becasue passion clouds judgment, not because passionate revenge is in itself a vile thing. It's here where I think we differ. We most likely agree that killing is at least an intensely violent and disturbing act. We also most likely agree that, in general, killing is not an act that very often can be squared with morality. But I don't find it immoral to take some sense of satisfaction in killing given unique and specific circumstances. Not delight or titilation, but satisfaction. My guess is that you feel that even when killing may be necessary (e.g. self-defense) it can only be accompanied by a sense of revulsion if it is to remain squared with morality.

I understand that point of view, but simply do not find it a complete view.
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Fri 30 Apr, 2004 09:24 pm
edgarblythe wrote:
No matter how one twists it, killing is not the solution to killing. I've already given plenty of reasons why that is. The arguments on this thread are at the point of repeating themselves. I don't care to restate it endlessly.

Then by all means, please don't.
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Fri 30 Apr, 2004 09:48 pm
Finn d'Abuzz wrote:

If "trait" is defined as a genetically determined characteristic, then I don't know how it can be considered ignoble.

Given that no predominantly genetically determined characteristics were being discussed how can this be relevant?

Quote:
In any case, a lack of nobility is not quite the same as a lack of morality.

Indeed, but that's a very long argument to counter a point that you are sure to agree with:

argumentum ad antiquitatem in and of themselves do not usually validate a position.

My example was to illustrate that an appeal to tradition could just as easily be made of morally lacking acts.

Quote:
Vengeance need not involve passion, but to the extent that it does, I would agree its kind is not a welcome addition to the justice system, but only becasue passion clouds judgment, not because passionate revenge is in itself a vile thing.

I think we agree. We are just focusing on different aspects of the words. With revenge and vengeance I see more of an emotional desire for retribution than mere dispassionate retribution.

Quote:
It's here where I think we differ. We most likely agree that killing is at least an intensely violent and disturbing act. We also most likely agree that, in general, killing is not an act that very often can be squared with morality.

Yep, agreed so far.

Quote:
But I don't find it immoral to take some sense of satisfaction in killing given unique and specific circumstances. Not delight or titilation, but satisfaction. My guess is that you feel that even when killing may be necessary (e.g. self-defense) it can only be accompanied by a sense of revulsion if it is to remain squared with morality.

Nope, I certainly don't think so. Feelings are not easy to control and I don't usually indict people for their impulsice feelings but rather for acts based on them.

I'd not consider it immoral to derive satisfaction from death, just an impulse that I think people should watch for as there's a very fine line between the sane and those given to their more base instincts.

I might, however, find the mentality repulsive, depending on the particulars and manifestations of it. But not necessarily immoral.

To me, thoughts are not a matter of morality unless they give birth to acts or consequences for others.
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Fri 30 Apr, 2004 10:14 pm
blatham wrote:

There's rather more you've written that I could take issue with, but this fallacy is the biggy.

I wish you would blatham as your "Is-Ought Problem" is something of a red herring. First of all, I am not making any assertions as to what ought to be, and so I am not "changing the subject like that," and secondly, even if I were imputing a moral stamp of approval on all evolutionary success mechanisms (and I am not), this is hardly the foundation of my overall argument.

There are any number of moral issues in the world. Because I do not see Capital Punishment as one doesn't mean that I believe there are none. I can appreciate the vehemence that some folks have on this subject, but that vehemence doesn't create the base for all discussion on morals: "If you cannot see the morality in this issue, you obviously cannot see it anywhere!"

Furthermore you are quite wrong in contending that I am engaged in a total avoidance of moral questions as respects the justice system. While I perhaps have not made a bold type statement in this regard, I think I've made it clear that I believe retribution to be morally correct.

What I am not willing to do is accept what I believe is a facile contention that killing is absolutely immoral. At least not from those who very clearly do not believe this themselves.

The moral issue of Capital Punishment centers on retribution, not on governmental use of it...that is a political issue.

If one's sole argument against the death penalty is that some convicted criminals are actually innocent, this is an argument against the process of Capital punsihment and not it's morality.

If one argues that life in prison is worse than death, then any insistence on a moral stand is a sham. Meting out the "worst" punishment is precisely the sort of bad vengeance to which Craven objects.

If you wish to debate, please do. If you wish to grandstand with a textbook quote, be my guest, but it's not debate.
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Fri 30 Apr, 2004 10:24 pm
[quote="Craven de Kere]

Given that no predominantly genetically determined characteristics were being discussed how can this be relevant?[/quote]

You used the word trait and it has two distinct meanings. I'm not sure how it was a given that you meant one and not the other.

Craven wrote:

My example was to illustrate that an appeal to tradition could just as easily be made of morally lacking acts.

True enough, but I do not consider violence a "morally lacking act."

Craven wrote:
Nope, I certainly don't think so. Feelings are not easy to control and I don't usually indict people for their impulsice feelings but rather for acts based on them.

I'd not consider it immoral to derive satisfaction from death, just an impulse that I think people should watch for as there's a very fine line between the sane and those given to their more base instincts.

I might, however, find the mentality repulsive, depending on the particulars and manifestations of it. But not necessarily immoral.

Well then, we agree more closely than I imagined.
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Fri 30 Apr, 2004 10:50 pm
How is governmental use of killing not a moral issue?

Political issue and moral issue are not mutually exclusive so the ability to define it as a political issue can't, in and of itself, be grounds to deny that it can be a moral issue.
0 Replies

rabel22

Reply Fri 30 Apr, 2004 10:59 pm
Someone as intelligent as you should know that morality and politics dont go together. Now money and politics are bed partners.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Sat 1 May, 2004 12:42 am
Politics and morality go together indissolubly - much of politics is involved with weighing up ethical imperatives with what is possible and what will be of benefit to whom and what is expedient and what is of short-term benefit vs long-term - or with attempting to look moral while pursuing other aims - either way, morality, in the breach or the observance, is linked to the art of governance.

If you mean that those involved in government are often swayed by other considerwtions, then we have no argument.

The actions of the state, as frequently the most powerful player in the body politic, have enormous moral consequences, for good or ill.
0 Replies

Cephus

Reply Sat 1 May, 2004 03:03 am
Wilso wrote:
Any close family member of a victim of a vicious crime would feel the same. Myself included in that assessment. Which is I believe the reason why, in a modern society, justice is placed in the hands of the state. So decisions can be made coldly and analytically. I can't believe anyone here, even those most enamoured with the concept of the death penalty, would like to live in a society where justice was left in the hands of the victims. It would be anarchy.

While direct justice shouldn't be left in the hands of the victims (ie. we don't want to see mob justice against people who have not been convicted of a crime), we shouldn't let individual hyper-emotionalism get in the way of justice either. Touchy-feely liberalism and victim mentalities cause far too many problems for the justice system. Commiting a crime requires an adequate punishment. A slap on the wrist is meaningless.
0 Replies

Cephus

Reply Sat 1 May, 2004 03:07 am
edgarblythe wrote:
It gots to be balanced by the fact people get wrongly convicted. You can reverse a life in prison without parole sentence, but you cannot give a person's life back.

That's ridiculous, of course. No matter how much money you throw at someone, you cannot give them back the years that have been taken from them. If you live 70 years and spend 35 of them in prison, all the money in the world doesn't return that time to you.

The entire argument that somehow letting an old man out of prison so he can die somehow makes it all better is just laughable.
0 Replies

Cephus

Reply Sat 1 May, 2004 03:10 am
dlowan wrote:
Hmmm - my understanding is capital punishment works IF a potential offender feels certain they will be convicted, AND if the sentence is carried out very fast.

Capital punishment works 100% of the time. The person executed will never commit another crime, period. That's why it's called capital PUNISHMENT! It's a PUNISHMENT! It has nothing to do with stopping others from commiting crimes, it is a just punishment for a very few crimes which society has deemed so horrible that this individual doesn't deserve to continue consuming oxygen on this planet.
0 Replies

Wilso

Reply Sat 1 May, 2004 03:20 am
And I ask yet again. What do you say to family of those wrongly executed? Is there anyone here with guts to give me answer?
0 Replies

MyOwnUsername

Reply Sat 1 May, 2004 05:35 am
we're deeply sorry, but at least you can be sure that your son will never commit any crime?
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Sat 1 May, 2004 07:05 am
Finn said
Quote:
There are any number of moral issues in the world. Because I do not see Capital Punishment as one doesn't mean that I believe there are none. I can appreciate the vehemence that some folks have on this subject, but that vehemence doesn't create the base for all discussion on morals: "If you cannot see the morality in this issue, you obviously cannot see it anywhere!"

Well, it's a bit difficult to imagine what moral issues you might acknowledge, given that you seem to hold capital punishment and state/community policies to be empty of moral issues.

Futher, its a bit tough to figure how you are going to ground your notions on morality. You acknowledge (to Edgar) that intent is somehow relevant to whether punishment ought to follow some act, but it's unclear why you would think so. Lovely examples, by the way.

Quote:
What I am not willing to do is accept what I believe is a facile contention that killing is absolutely immoral.

Sure. Moral absolutes seem a tad infantile to me, unless stipulated in a particular manner, eg UNNECESSARY cruelty.

You repeat that 'retribution' is moral, and absence of retribution is immoral. You also describe retribution as 'logical', which I take it you find identical to 'balanced' in this context. Retribution = logical = balanced = moral.

One gets the clear notion that you feel justice would be most properly, and most morally, meted out by a computer. So, both a fifteen year old, born with fetal alcohol syndrome, and with no prior criminal behavior kills a man in circumstances which are unclear, and a fellow of 38 with priors for armed robbery, rape, and assault who murders a 7-11 clerk ought to get executed on the same sunny afternoon?

Help me out. The grandstands are high and far away, and those pennants you are waving so enthusiastically appear teensie from here.
0 Replies

JoanneDorel

Reply Sat 1 May, 2004 08:08 am
From the Internet Encloypedia - The Philosphy of Capital Punishment

This was interesting reading about the subject I thougt.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sat 1 May, 2004 08:21 am
Thanks, joanne. That was very good reading.
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Sat 1 May, 2004 09:31 am
cephus said
Quote:
it is a just punishment for a very few crimes which society has deemed so horrible that this individual doesn't deserve to continue consuming oxygen on this planet.

Which society do you refer to? Taliban? Micronesian? French? And would that be French culture before or after the Revolution?
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Sat 1 May, 2004 09:40 am
thanks joe...nice piece
0 Replies

BoGoWo

Reply Sat 1 May, 2004 10:11 am
another thought on this subject;

is the fact that 'not executing a convicted murderer' assigns a 'higher moral road' benefit to the society, the victim's family and friends, and the justice system, not a safer road, than joining the 'savagery' of the offender.

and with most sensitive, and 'decent' people, there would even be the sense of guilt, felt by the 'victim group' for having 'lowered' themselves to the level of the instigator, and the 'act' itself.
0 Replies