The Death Penalty - Should it be abolished?

blatham

Reply Sun 2 May, 2004 06:22 am
finn wrote
Quote:
The morally correct action is not always feasible.

You play no different game than I. You offer no compelling reason why anyone here ought to accept your assertion that morally correct actions are properly or adequately established by your 'balance' formula. Why ought we not to simply conclude you find a pleasing aesthetic therein? You tossed in the universality justification (found in all cultures), and another using genetic or cultural continuational success in the post I first contradicted, but they don't get you there.

And if 'balance' is truly where you find morality (in this context) to reside, then we both know you have a few further problems; e.g., if a killer burns someone alive (and we know he intended it, and we know he did it), is it therefore immoral to NOT burn him alive as proper retribution? Or, as joefromchicago alluded to earlier, if a man murders multiple victims, how is balanced retribution to be achieved? We could, of course, seek it through a massacre of a precisely equal number of his family members.

Quote:
A lot of people on this thread want to tell me I am wrong, which is fine, but I wonder if they can tell me why they are right.

That is, we'll assume by 'right' here you mean, can we make a compelling case in the advancing of either of these two claims:
1) holding that the taking of another life is somehow intrinsically immoral, or that
2) not abolishing capital punishment worldwide is, consequentially, immoral

First of all, the burden of argumentation falls initially to you. You are (apparently) making a foundational claim to the morality inherent in 'balanced retribution'. A cold-blooded murder happens. Then, you Finn d'abuzz as an individual or as a contributing member in establishment of community policy, are faced with the intellectual and moral decision on how to respond. Even if we both hold (and I'm sure we do) that the murder was an immoral act, the response to it by you/community will be the initial point of fully conscious and rational decision making. (If you haven't suspected it already, I think you are trying to avoid this moral decision point, with all its complexity, by pretending that a 'knee-jerk' vengeance equals rationality).

But I have to make my claim too.

As to 1), I do hold that taking another life is foundationally immoral. Foundationally, but not absolutely. The examples you and others give, particularly, self-defence, speak to how the value can't be considered absolute. I hold it to be foundational because I hold that no other value trumps conscious existence.

As to 2), for the very reasons you advance regarding the improbability or impossibility of establishing intent, of establishing a full and complete picture of consequences of the act or the punishment, and of establishing consistency or equity in the human administration of a justice system, and because other punishment options and community protection (even f not perfect) are open to us, then capital punishment ought to be banned worldwide...and that is a moral argument rather than merely an instrumental argument because of 1) above.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Tue 4 May, 2004 10:06 pm
Quotes from analysis of violence article, discussing the origins of psychopathy: ON VIOLENCE, DEVELOPMENT, AND CULTURE.
by Diane M. Gartland

"Because self-mindfulness is considered irrelevant or intimidating, it is set aside, and what is viewed as mindless violence is met with further mindlessness and violence in continual butchery. The lack of thoughtfulness has as many implications for society as it has for the developmentally disturbed individual: "the reduced capacity to mentalize, to picture the mental states of the other, reduces inhibition of aggression by representing the victim as devoid of thoughts, feelings and the capacity for real suffering" (Fonagy and Target 54). Thus, the sphincter through which we pass the psychopath--"no real, basic attachment to anyone has ever been formed" (Krohn); this is a native, hereditary, incurable condition (Hare 173); these people have no feelings, no scruples; they are better off dead, execute them--is an apt reflection and a crescendo of their own disturbance. The dehumanization of "the enemy within" is an occurrence with which our enemy without has become all too cozy. "

And:

"As a culture, we are fast becoming like the mother in the Novicks' video or Fonagy's disturbed parent "who cannot think about the child's mental experience (and thus) deprives him of the basis for a viable sense of himself." He or she remains an "alien other," a nested doll (Fonagy) who is dissociated from the whole. The society is also alien and a repository of the evil which cannot be held in a space demanding non-mentalizing emptiness. While both deny the psychic reality of the self and other, the search for a receptacle for evacuated mental/psychological experience becomes the more desperately demanded in the interest of psychic (equated with physical) survival. It is as difficult for us to conceive of children killing children, of neighbor killing neighbor, or of other heinous barbarity in our world as it is impossible to view ourselves as atrocity-makers. Without either of these conceptions, however, there is no reflection, no communicative symbolization, and no indemnity for the violence and trauma in our future. "
0 Replies

Wilso

Reply Wed 5 May, 2004 12:02 am
Cephus wrote:
Wilso wrote:
Any close family member of a victim of a vicious crime would feel the same. Myself included in that assessment. Which is I believe the reason why, in a modern society, justice is placed in the hands of the state. So decisions can be made coldly and analytically. I can't believe anyone here, even those most enamoured with the concept of the death penalty, would like to live in a society where justice was left in the hands of the victims. It would be anarchy.

While direct justice shouldn't be left in the hands of the victims (ie. we don't want to see mob justice against people who have not been convicted of a crime), we shouldn't let individual hyper-emotionalism get in the way of justice either. Touchy-feely liberalism and victim mentalities cause far too many problems for the justice system. Commiting a crime requires an adequate punishment. A slap on the wrist is meaningless.

I don't know how anyone could describe life without parole in a maximum security prison as a "slap on the wrist".
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Wed 5 May, 2004 05:48 am
deb

Amazing how prose styles can vary from subject area to subject area. I confess I wouldn't want to read many examples of the above, but I'm happy swimming about in other (unreadable, to some) stuff. As an editor though, I'd have had Krohn take another moment or two on "Thus, the sphincter through which we pass the psychopath...". I appreciate that subjective mental states are easy to live within, but pretty difficult to talk about.

Quote:
"Because self-mindfulness is considered irrelevant or intimidating, it is set aside, and what is viewed as mindless violence is met with further mindlessness and violence in continual butchery.

I gather that the writers are speaking about violence/cruelty portrayed or witnessed in our cultures, and the causes/consequences of this. The sentence above seems to be pointing in some similar direction to where I was pointing finn earlier.

That is, where we rely upon a simple or axiomatic formula (such as an eye for an eye) in establishing a justice rationale, we ought to do so only as a rough guide (acknowledging the fairness/balance of it). But that if we then go a step further and insist that allowing any other input (like empathy) will constitute a degredation of justice, then we are simply avoiding (admittedly tough) moral choices. Morality is seen to reside in the formula, rather than in the judging or the judge. A sort of dehuman mindlessness is the consequence.

Are we talking here?
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Wed 5 May, 2004 05:57 am
Blatham - I will be back - too tired to post now - just wanted you to know I saw the response...
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Wed 5 May, 2004 06:11 am
Rest at peace...for the moment, totally forget that sphincter sentence...lots of time to get back to that...no need to have sphincters roiling about in one's dreams
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Wed 5 May, 2004 08:56 pm
blatham wrote:

And if 'balance' is truly where you find morality (in this context) to reside, then we both know you have a few further problems; e.g., if a killer burns someone alive (and we know he intended it, and we know he did it), is it therefore immoral to NOT burn him alive as proper retribution? Or, as joefromchicago alluded to earlier, if a man murders multiple victims, how is balanced retribution to be achieved? We could, of course, seek it through a massacre of a precisely equal number of his family members.

The balance is that he who takes a life for immoral reasons, loses his. It is not only unnecessary to inflict upon the murderer the same pain he inflicted upon his victim, it would be immoral. It would also be immoral to extend retribution to innocents: i.e. the members of the murderers family.
I have not made the contention that an absolute accounting must be made. If someone steals your car and destroys it, the proper level of retribution is for him to replace your vehicle or give you the money needed to do so. It would not be to allow you to take his car and destroy it. Since a murderer cannot restore his victim's life, there is only one fitting form of retribution: he should lose his. Call it a rough balance if you will, but it is what I have advocated in the theoretical.

blatham wrote:

That is, we'll assume by 'right' here you mean, can we make a compelling case in the advancing of either of these two claims:
1) holding that the taking of another life is somehow intrinsically immoral, or that
2) not abolishing capital punishment worldwide is, consequentially, immoral

First of all, the burden of argumentation falls initially to you. You are (apparently) making a foundational claim to the morality inherent in 'balanced retribution'. A cold-blooded murder happens. Then, you Finn d'abuzz as an individual or as a contributing member in establishment of community policy, are faced with the intellectual and moral decision on how to respond. Even if we both hold (and I'm sure we do) that the murder was an immoral act, the response to it by you/community will be the initial point of fully conscious and rational decision making. (If you haven't suspected it already, I think you are trying to avoid this moral decision point, with all its complexity, by pretending that a 'knee-jerk' vengeance equals rationality).

Yes, the decision to end the life of the murderer must be made rationally and with full appreciation of its consequence. I don't believe this is problematic in and of itself. The fact that the community must think hard upon a decision doesn't make that decision (one way or the other) moral or immoral. A "knee jerk" decision would be irrational, and immoral only to the extent that you find morality and rationality synonomous.

Problems arise when there is not full certainty that the convicted party is truly guilty. This is a moral issue only in the instance that one tries to make the case that imperfection in the service of society is morally acceptible, irrespective of the impact on the indivdual. I've not tried to make this case. My contention is that in the case of absolute certainty, capital punishment is just and morally acceptible, but our system can not count on the State to restrict itself to only cases of absolute certainty.

The moral issue of this debate centers on retribution, not the State's employment of same. If one accepts that death is a morally acceptible form of retribution for the murderer, how the State employs it is at least a practical, and at most a politcal issue... not moral issue.

If you do not believe that retribution is morally acceptible, it is unlikely that there is anything I can say that will convince you oherwise. If there was a perfectly simple equation that ran "if q than moral, and if p than immoral" we wouldn't be having any of these debates.

blatham wrote:
But I have to make my claim too.

As to 1), I do hold that taking another life is foundationally immoral. Foundationally, but not absolutely. The examples you and others give, particularly, self-defence, speak to how the value can't be considered absolute. I hold it to be foundational because I hold that no other value trumps conscious existence.

And what is the impact of something being "foundationally" immoral? If it means that we are going to assume taking a life is immoral until proven otherwise, then this is a non-starter since the context of this discussion is the judicial process, wherein this very question will be answered to the best of human abilities.

blatham wrote:
As to 2), for the very reasons you advance regarding the improbability or impossibility of establishing intent, of establishing a full and complete picture of consequences of the act or the punishment, and of establishing consistency or equity in the human administration of a justice system, and because other punishment options and community protection (even f not perfect) are open to us, then capital punishment ought to be banned worldwide...and that is a moral argument rather than merely an instrumental argument because of 1) above.

Again, it is only a moral argument in the face of a contention that a flawed process which advances the interests of society to the possible detriment of the interests of the individual is ultimately moral (and this is a tangential moral argument). That you would prefer to cloak your opinion with the mantle of morality is fine and good, but of not real import.

As for other options being open to us, I can only repeat my previous argument: What options? Rehabilitation is an option only in the minds of the naive. Life sentences without parole are few and far between and there are as many, if not more, examples of paroled murders repeating their crimes that examples of actually innocent people being sentenced to death.

The argument that Capital Punishment is moral only if your foundation is that ALL killing is immoral. It would appear clear that you do not believe this, and so try as you might, you can't manufacture a moral basis for a political decision. Why try?
0 Replies

Wilso

Reply Thu 6 May, 2004 12:11 am
I'd still like to know what YOU would say to the family of someone wrongly executed Finn. (Maybe you believe they don't exist)
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Thu 6 May, 2004 12:28 am
Wilso wrote:
I'd still like to know what YOU would say to the family of someone wrongly executed Finn. (Maybe you believe they don't exist)

Wilso

Do you even bother to read the postings on a thread, or do you rely on your mutant ability to determine who might believe what on a given issue by simply seeing their screen name?

Because if you read what I have written Wilso then you would know that I oppose Capital Punishment, in part, because it can, currently, be delivered to innocents.

Spit out some of that bile, it's impeding your ability to think, and then try reading what is written instead of jumping to foolish conclusions.
0 Replies

JoanneDorel

Reply Thu 6 May, 2004 03:53 am
Finn d'Abuzz leave Wilso alone. What you have writtne is mean and Wilso is my friend. If he posted in error so what.
0 Replies

Wilso

Reply Thu 6 May, 2004 04:47 am
Thanks Jo, but it's OK. I can take it!
0 Replies

JoanneDorel

Reply Thu 6 May, 2004 04:56 am
I know you can Wilso. But I was offended and felt I had to speak out not just for you but for me.
0 Replies

Wilso

Reply Thu 6 May, 2004 05:26 am
I've done my fair share of offending people so I've got no right to complain. But thanks for being my champion. :wink:
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Thu 6 May, 2004 07:42 am
finn

I've much enjoyed trying to tease apart these issues and arguments with you. I'll continue later today or tomorrow, after completing some 'must do' tasks. But I'd like to encourage you to avoid the sort of post you just wrote to Wilso. Your skills and carefulness in the debate merit a lot of respect and gain my thanks. Not so the last post. Heck, there might even be a moral argument for retribution.
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Fri 7 May, 2004 10:02 pm
blatham wrote:
finn

I've much enjoyed trying to tease apart these issues and arguments with you. I'll continue later today or tomorrow, after completing some 'must do' tasks. But I'd like to encourage you to avoid the sort of post you just wrote to Wilso. Your skills and carefulness in the debate merit a lot of respect and gain my thanks. Not so the last post. Heck, there might even be a moral argument for retribution.

Thanks for the kind words. I too have enjoyed the debate.

I make no apologies for my comments to Wilso. I have no intention of making a habit out of such posts, but I don't consider this one in violation of the A2K agreement. Wilso didn't make an honest mistake, he made a biased assumption. Wilso, to his credit, isn't whining about me being mean.
0 Replies

Wilso

Reply Fri 7 May, 2004 11:58 pm
Finn d'Abuzz wrote:

When someone kills another human being they forfeit their right to their own life. As no punishment, including death, can bring back the person who has had all they were and all they ever would be stolen from them, the only morally acceptible punishment for the person is to share the loss they have imposed on their victim.

A society that has made a commitment to rule by law cannot allow its citizens to mete out retribution, but this does not mean that it is immoral for someone to kill the murderer of a loved one.

Statements like these certainly make it difficult to interpret your opinions.
0 Replies

BoGoWo

Reply Sat 8 May, 2004 09:26 am
Finn; it seems that you are saying that, while capital punishment is unacceptable due to the potential for error, it is acceptable for an 'affected' individual to take their own revenge upon the accused offender.

I do not wish to 'put words in your mouth', is this correct?
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Sat 8 May, 2004 01:12 pm
BoGoWo wrote:
Finn; it seems that you are saying that, while capital punishment is unacceptable due to the potential for error, it is acceptable for an 'affected' individual to take their own revenge upon the accused offender.

I do not wish to 'put words in your mouth', is this correct?

Not entirely.

1) It is not, in any way, acceptable for an affected individual to mete out retribution against an "accused" offender, if the use of "accused" implies that the guilt of the person is at all in doubt

I have intentionally substituted retribution for revenge, because the latter, for some, carries with it a connotation of excess.

2) It is not socially acceptable for an affected individual to to mete out retribution against an offender, even if his or her guilt is unquestionable.

A key component of the Social Contract is that its members, recognizing the chaos that would ensue if retribution was left to individuals, cede that socially necessary, and morally acceptable fundamental to The State. This is done with the full knowledge that The State cannot be infallible in the application of retribution, but with the belief and trust that it can be far more discerning and equitable than aggrieved individuals. The fact that it is not only infallible in it's application of retribution, but that it is capable of abuse in this regard, makes it imperative that we not provide it with the legal right to terminate our lives.

3) It is morally acceptable for an affected individual to mete out retribution (including death) against an undoubtedly guilty offender.

Of course to the extent that retribution becomes excessive, it crosses moral boundaries.

My position is, in it's conclusions, quite similar to those of some with whom I have debated on this thread: Retribution belongs under the control of The State, but should not include Capital Punishment.

The distinguishing point in our arguments is that I do not arrive at these conclusions through moral considerations, and they do.
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Wed 12 May, 2004 09:55 pm
finn

I likely won't have time to continue on with our discussion, but wanted to thank you most kindly for engaging the discussion with care and enthusiasm.

Here's a small piece that's relevant...
Quote:
CHICAGO (AP) -- Supreme Court Justice John Paul Stevens says that he believes the death penalty is constitutional, but that the country would be better off without it.

Stevens, 84, said he would feel much better if more states would ``really consider whether they think the benefits outweigh the very serious potential injustice, because in these cases the emotions are very, very high on both sides and ... there is the special potential for error.''

http://www.nytimes.com/aponline/national/AP-Death-Penalty-Stevens.html
0 Replies

James Davolt

Reply Wed 29 Dec, 2004 04:17 am
Quote:
James Davolt

On November 23, 1998, James Davolt was riding a bicycle in his neighborhood when he saw Nicholas Zimmer, an elderly local resident. Davolt knew Nicholas and the two began to talk. Nicholas took Davolt with him to a local hardware store before the two returned to the Zimmer residence, where they went into the garage. There, Davolt picked up a hatchet and struck Nicholas in the head three times. Nicholas escaped from Davolt and ran into the house. Davolt eventually broke into the Zimmer residence, found Nicholas, and shot him twice in the chest. Davolt then found Nicholas' wife, Eleanor, who was also at home. He brought her to a bank and unsuccessfully tried to withdraw money from her account with an ATM card. Davolt then made Eleanor write him a check for $1,500. He went into the bank and cashed the check. The next day, Davolt strangled Eleanor to death. Davolt then placed the two victims' bodies in the kitchen, covered them with paper, doused them with fuel, and set them on fire. Davolt took the Zimmers' car and drove to California where police ultimately apprehended him.

I am not writing this to question his innocence or guilt. Yes he was found guilty. But what this quote fails to mention was that my son was 16 years old at the time this happened. I can only say what was told to me from investigators at the time because I hadn't seen my son since he was 5 years old. I found out about it after he was convicted. At 16 years old I question his maturity. I have heard from investigators and my ex wife that my son was a good student, didn't do drugs or drink and was on his way to school. Something changed his mind and he killed 2 people. We have to be 18 to vote, serve our country, 21 to drink. But we can sentence someone to death for a crime they did at 16. Regardless of it being my son this is something that needs to be looked at. Thank you for letting me share my opinion.
James Davolt
0 Replies