The Death Penalty - Should it be abolished?

blatham

Reply Tue 27 Apr, 2004 02:53 pm
mesquite

Thanks kindly. I have it, and read it years past, so looks like time for a re-read.

Just yesterday, a lady I know who grew up in sunny Texas, told me a bit about her youthful bible classes. She belonged to something called the BMA (bible memory association). The purpose of this association, and the regular memorization of biblical passages was stated as, "The communists can't take the bible away if it is in my head."
0 Replies

mesquite

Reply Tue 27 Apr, 2004 03:19 pm
I guess if one can't use the brain cells for thinking then use them for storage. Still seems like such a waste.
0 Replies

Steve 41oo

Reply Tue 27 Apr, 2004 04:34 pm
Mesquite, can we have an explanation of your avatar please. It appears to be someone having a great deal of difficulty either with a pot of spaghetti or a wind instrument Smile
0 Replies

suzy

Reply Tue 27 Apr, 2004 06:01 pm
kokopeli!
0 Replies

mesquite

Reply Tue 27 Apr, 2004 06:21 pm
Steve, Suzy has it. Kokopeli
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Wed 28 Apr, 2004 08:56 pm
Wilso wrote:
As soon as I saw this thread, I thought to myself that I could create a list of those who would argue against the abolution of the death penalty. So far I'm at 100%.

Now there's a talent.

Maybe the X-Men will let you join their team.
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Wed 28 Apr, 2004 09:03 pm
edgarblythe wrote:
No matter how well the argument for a death penalty gets destructed, there will remain a certain primal blood lust that no amount of reasoning will dispel. I acknowledge this and so move on.

You are assuming that the desire for retribution is a reflex of our reptilian brain. Not necessarily so. Someone who might seek the death of a murderer may do so without any desire to see the murderer suffer in any way...painless and bloodless, but a logical balancing of the scales.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Wed 28 Apr, 2004 09:07 pm
I once thought that way, Finn. Now I know better.
0 Replies

Foxfyre

Reply Wed 28 Apr, 2004 09:24 pm
Finn writes
Quote:
You are assuming that the desire for retribution is a reflex of our reptilian brain. Not necessarily so. Someone who might seek the death of a murderer may do so without any desire to see the murderer suffer in any way...painless and bloodless, but a logical balancing of the scales.

Thank you Finn. I was struggling to find the way to say that and you did so eloquently.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Wed 28 Apr, 2004 09:26 pm
Eloquent, but wrong.
0 Replies

Wilso

Reply Thu 29 Apr, 2004 12:05 am
And I'm still hitting at 100%.
0 Replies

MyOwnUsername

Reply Thu 29 Apr, 2004 01:12 am
yeah, I can actually understand much easier (not that I am approving it) that close family member of victim wants pain and suffering for killer, then those that want to kill someone because of logical balancing of the scales
0 Replies

Wilso

Reply Thu 29 Apr, 2004 01:46 am
MyOwnUsername wrote:
yeah, I can actually understand much easier (not that I am approving it) that close family member of victim wants pain and suffering for killer, then those that want to kill someone because of logical balancing of the scales

Any close family member of a victim of a vicious crime would feel the same. Myself included in that assessment. Which is I believe the reason why, in a modern society, justice is placed in the hands of the state. So decisions can be made coldly and analytically. I can't believe anyone here, even those most enamoured with the concept of the death penalty, would like to live in a society where justice was left in the hands of the victims. It would be anarchy.
0 Replies

MyOwnUsername

Reply Thu 29 Apr, 2004 04:03 am
exactly - and in addition there is at least small degree of hipocracy in society that does not leave justice in the hands of victims and then kills criminal, only in "painless" way.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Thu 29 Apr, 2004 04:47 am
Two anti-death penalty persons on this thread have had family members brutally murdered, the point being, not all victims want blood on their hands. Justice is removing the killers from society. It need not entail painless killing of the convicted any more than it entails ripping out their beating hearts or running red hot icepicks in their eyes.
0 Replies

MyOwnUsername

Reply Thu 29 Apr, 2004 04:55 am
sure that not all victims want blood - just saying that when victim feels like it it can be understood - not allowed of course.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Thu 29 Apr, 2004 05:04 am
Of course.
0 Replies

bosworth1485

Reply Thu 29 Apr, 2004 05:06 am
My 27 year old cousin was killed and tortued by a psycho ex boyfriend in FLA. last June. Do I want him to die? Sure I do. Do I thinK that it is a deterrant? No. I do not support a Gulag type jail system in the US but, there should be a re-shuffling of how criminals are housed. There is no way that the worst of the worst- rapists, child absusers and pre-meditated murderers should be housed with drug offenders who are usally a victim of their own circumstances. The worst mentioned above should have no amenities because they are beyond rehabiliation. Side note the piece of s*** gets sentenced in Florida May 3. No death penalty as he coped a guilty plea. I hope he gets the max but you never know.
0 Replies

JoanneDorel

Reply Thu 29 Apr, 2004 06:06 am
Welcome to A2k bosworth1485. Like you I would prefer the suspected perp in my daughters case to no longer be able to enjoy life. However death is way to good for him. I would prefere a nice long stay in the Virginia State Pen where he can be raped over and over and over again.

Currently he is in the PA State Prision for attempted murder of his former wife and he has a prior conviction for sodmy and rape in Virginia.

The thing is he is pathological - does not even realize what he has done wrong nor does he remember these events. He just keeps on doing what comes naturally to him.

Death for this person is way to good.
0 Replies

bosworth1485

Reply Thu 29 Apr, 2004 07:01 am
Death is too easy for them and that is how my Aunt feels. I just hope prison is very difficult for him and he gets justice. I don't want him to watch cable, lift weights and get out in 20 years. The guy is 28. He would have many years to live a free existence that he does not deserve. My problem with the system is that most murderers only serve a fraction of their sentences and that is what should be remedied before the death penalty is put into practice.
0 Replies