The 2014 Winter Olympics in Sochi, Russia start later this week. In the spirit of making the Olympics even more enjoyable, we're again having a Fantasy Olympics.
The 6 rules of the game are the same as previous Fantasy Olympics:
1. Every participant will choose a "team" of 10 Olympic nations (divided by gender in the case of the Germany and USA teams). The aggregate result of these Olympic nation-teams will determine the winner, on the basis of 5 points for every gold medal, 3 points for every silver medal, and 1 point for every bronze medal.
2. The 10 Olympic nation-teams must be chosen from 4 different groupings in which the nations have been divided, according to their performance in Vancouver 2010, plus a host nation factor.
3. Each participant must choose 2 Olympic nations from Group A, 2 Olympic nations from Group B, 2 Olympic nations from Group C and 4 Olympic nations from Group D (which encompasses all nations not in any of the former groups).
4. Since the Germany and USA Olympic teams are expected to get the most medals, they will be divided into teams by gender: Germany Male, Germany Female, USA Male and USA Female. Any medal won by a mixed duo or team (e.g. Ice Dancing), will count for both Male and Female teams.
5. The medal count will be based on the official IOC count. That is, collective medals for team sports (e.g. Ice Hockey) count as one.
6. All participants must enter their predictions before the opening Olympic ceremony. For Sochi, the deadline is Friday, 2/7/14 @ 11 AM, EST
Winner: Virtual Gold Medal, and congratulations from everyone.
Runner Up: Virtual Silver Medal.
Third Place: Virtual Bronze Medal.
Groupings (kindly provided by @fbaezer!):
Group A (choose 2)
Group B (choose 2)
Group C (choose 2)
Group D (choose 4)
All other participating Olympic nations not
listed in previous groupings
I will do my best to post daily standings of the A2K Fantasy Winter Olympics Game, but I'll need help with scoring between 2/15 and 2/25
. I will likely make a spreadsheet to help with scoring.
Please submit your teams this week. Good luck to everyone!