How much faster could Usain Bolt have gone?

Reply Fri 12 Sep, 2008 03:22 pm

Quote:
HOW quickly would Usain Bolt have run the 100 metres at the Beijing Olympics if he hadn't slowed in celebration before the finish line? A team of physicists have calculated an answer: the Jamaican gold medallist could have slashed his time from 9.69 seconds to 9.55 seconds.

cicerone imposter

Reply Fri 12 Sep, 2008 07:48 pm
I'd say their calculations are pretty accurate; he beat the world record, but would have cut more off the ticker if he wasn't so boisterous before the finish line.
0 Replies

rosborne979

Reply Sat 13 Sep, 2008 08:07 am
@Robert Gentel,
Quote:

We'll never know. And neither will he.

His performance was spectacular, but as he gets older I think he may regret not knowing what he could have done in the 100m that day.
ehBeth

Reply Sat 13 Sep, 2008 08:49 am
@rosborne979,
since he's just coming into the best years for a runner, I think we're going to have an opportunity to see how much faster he can run

forget about could have - I'm looking forward to Usain Bolt's future runs.
sozobe

Reply Sat 13 Sep, 2008 08:54 am
@ehBeth,
Yeah, me too.

I thought his celebration and general joie de vivre was one of the highlights of the games...
0 Replies

rosborne979

Reply Sat 13 Sep, 2008 02:11 pm
@ehBeth,
Quote:
since he's just coming into the best years for a runner, I think we're going to have an opportunity to see how much faster he can run

forget about could have - I'm looking forward to Usain Bolt's future runs.

I hope you're right, but **** happens, and in a sport where 1mph headwinds or tailwinds make a difference, you hate to see any opportunities wasted. He's a young man, I suspect he learned a lot by watching the tapes of that run. He looked a whole lot more determined at the end of his next few races.

0 Replies

yitwail

Reply Sat 13 Sep, 2008 02:28 pm
what got me about the celebration was that if you watch the race at actual speed, not slow-mo, you barely notice what he's doing--after all, if the physicists' calculations are correct, it only slowed him down about 3/20 of a sec. Surprised
rosborne979

Reply Sat 13 Sep, 2008 03:11 pm
@yitwail,
I saw it as it happened and immediately wondered what he was doing at the end of the race. My first impression was that he was treating it like a qualifier race. I actually think he got so used to just beating the other runners in the qualifiers that he simply forgot (momentarily) that the 100m final was a race against himself, not against others.

0 Replies

Region Philbis

Reply Sat 13 Sep, 2008 04:02 pm
i just hope he's clean...
sozobe

Reply Sat 13 Sep, 2008 04:13 pm
@Region Philbis,
He's taken a bazillion tests, right?
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Sun 14 Sep, 2008 10:33 am
I think it's opportunity lost; can't make it up in the future because all the variables would have changed - even for him. Blame it on his youth.
0 Replies

Wilso

Reply Thu 18 Sep, 2008 07:16 pm
He's 22. Over the next several years, he'll get stronger. I think his best is still ahead of him.
0 Replies

lmur

Reply Sat 29 Aug, 2009 02:14 am
@Region Philbis,
Region Philbis wrote:

i just hope he's clean...

I'm sure HE is. Not so sure about the photographers ('bout 40 seconds in...)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=By1JQFxfLMM

9.58. Wow.
0 Replies

2PacksAday

Reply Sat 29 Aug, 2009 06:12 pm
Impressive....that boy has so much talent....and Tyson was flying as well, makes me proud.

I had forgot how much I enjoyed watching last years olympics....I really, really did.
0 Replies

Region Philbis

Reply Wed 8 Aug, 2012 06:37 am

http://i1176.photobucket.com/albums/x336/RegionPhilbis/bolt.jpg
amitkhan2167

Reply Tue 14 Aug, 2012 12:56 am
@rosborne979,
Well its been difficult to give the answer of this question but Usain Bolt is one of the finest Athletics to watch ever on the ground and talking about the record I don't think he knows he can do much better than this 9.63 seconds.
0 Replies

XXSpadeMasterXX

Reply Sat 17 Nov, 2012 05:17 am
@Region Philbis,
Where was that picture taken from mate? That is amazing to see! Thanks for sharing!
Region Philbis

Reply Sat 17 Nov, 2012 08:12 am
@XXSpadeMasterXX,

not sure -- found it on FB during the summer olympics...
0 Replies