izzythepush

Reply Mon 20 Jan, 2014 03:47 am
@OmSigDAVID,
Your belief was not informed by the facts. If there had been evidence that Saddam did have WMD capability, and could use that within 45 minutes to attack targets in the region, they wouldn't have had so much trouble trying to get the UN security council to pass a second resolution. The evidence was scant at best and had been spun out of all recognition but still didn't pass muster. And most importantly Hans Blix was not given time to do his job.

I'm amazed that there are still people who believe the nonsense that we didn't know Saddam had WMDs until post invasion. It was fairly clear he didn't have any when the evidence was presented to the UN.
OmSigDAVID

Reply Mon 20 Jan, 2014 04:29 am
@izzythepush,
izzythepush wrote:
Your belief was not informed by the facts.
My belief was informed by the fact that Saddam was a homicidal maniac
with a grudge against us for throwing him ignominiously out of kuwait
and with access, just over the border to half-starving Russian scientists
or Russian military officers with access to Russian nukes. Yes??

izzythepush wrote:
If there had been evidence that Saddam did have WMD capability,
and could use that within 45 minutes to attack targets in the region,
That is not a significant number.
For sure, Saddam never had ICBMs,
but presumably, he had access to many little boats,
sufficient to sail in a mini-nuke to detonate, in or approaching
an American harbor before customs inspection.

izzythepush wrote:
they wouldn't have had so much trouble trying to get the UN security
council to pass a second resolution.
I deem the UN to be a joke.
I don t take it seriously. Like the Book of the Month Club.
We did not need any resolution. We r sovereign.

izzythepush wrote:
The evidence was scant at best and had been spun out of all recognition but still didn't pass muster.
What evidence qua clandestine nuclear purchases of Russian nukes, from starving scientists??
In addition, we had pictures of the effects of Saddam's use of gas against civilians, rebellious Kurds

izzythepush wrote:
And most importantly Hans Blix was not given time to do his job.
The idea is to overthrow Saddam.
I don t see that Mr. Blix has much to contribute.

izzythepush wrote:
I'm amazed that there are still people who believe the nonsense
that we didn't know Saddam had WMDs until post invasion.
He used it to gas the Kurds; how much of it he had left was un-known.
The nuclear possibilities were more important. (I was not afraid of getting gassed.)

izzythepush wrote:
It was fairly clear he didn't have any when the evidence was presented to the UN.
I heard that he stashed it
with the Bath Party in Syria.
Maybe its behind the Bath tub.
Brandon9000

Reply Mon 20 Jan, 2014 05:09 am
@izzythepush,
izzythepush wrote:

Lets make it really simple for you. Saddam had weapons of mass destruction. That was a lie. Got it now.

Now before you trot out your mantras like a good little drone, lets have a few more facts. UN weapons inspector Hans Blix wanted more time but was not allowed to by America. What evidence there was of WMDs was laughable including comments by Baghdad taxi drivers. Halliburton made **** loads of money out of Iraq.

Those are the facts, and if you had a brain you'd see that Iraq was all about oil money and bloodlust. You just allow yourself to be told what to think by your masters at Fox News.

Saddam Hussein had at one time had active WMD programs. The question was whether he had destroyed them or merely concealed them. The belief that he had merely taken his WMD programs underground was very widespread at the time all over the world. He had been given a dozen years to comply with his treaty promise to allow unfettered inspections and had not done so to the point that the UN had several times told him that he was in material breach of the treaty. A dozen years is quite a long time. He was warned over and over that we would invade unless he complied. All he would have to have done to prevent invasion was comply. He didn't. Had he been continuing work on nuclear or biological weapons, he would presumably eventually have completed them. He was an evil man who had personally murdered people, brutally suppressed his own citizens including using nerve gas against them, and invaded his neighbors. Someone like that could not be permitted to possess nuclear or bioweapons. After repeated warnings, we invaded to determine absolutely whether his former WMD programs were still extant. In the end it turned out that they no longer existed. However, president Bush's suspicion that he did have them was very widespread at the time. I doubt that you would like to be called a liar every time you believe something which ultimately turns out to be incorrect, especially if many people believe the same thing.
izzythepush

Reply Mon 20 Jan, 2014 05:30 am
@Brandon9000,
The suspicion was not widespread at the time. The only country that believed such nonsense was America because of your gung ho media. The rest of the world could tell it was nonsense.

Hans Blix was the one asking for more time not Saddam Hussein. He wasn't given more time because that would have proven there weren't any WMDs, and that was the last thing Bush wanted.

I never called you a liar, but you clearly want to believe something and facts be damned. Do you think that invading the North Pole is the only way to be sure that Santa doesn't exist?
izzythepush

Reply Mon 20 Jan, 2014 05:34 am
@OmSigDAVID,
OmSigDAVID wrote:
I don t take it seriously.

I deem the claims made by rightwing war mongers to be a joke, and we should never take them seriously again. The vote in the Commons on Syria shows we've swallowed more than enough American bullshit.

Don't forget who sold Saddam all that military hardware in the first place.
Moment-in-Time

Reply Mon 20 Jan, 2014 05:58 am
@izzythepush,
Quote:

I deem the claims made by rightwing war mongers to be a joke, and we should never take them seriously again. The vote in the Commons on Syria shows we've swallowed more than enough American bullshit.

I cannot disagree with your assessment. Saddam Hussein was a US ally until George Bush senior decided to use him as a scapegoat, a spring board to a second term as president, by allowing Hussein to believe the US would do nothing to prevent the dictator from invading Kuwait. Bush senior knew in times of war the American people would rally around their leader, and raise his poll numbers enough for him to get reelected. George Herbert Walker Bush's poll numbers were raised but only a few points....Desert Storm, the name of the first Gulf war only lasted a few days, certainly not enough to push Bush over the threshold for a second term; he lost to Bill Clinton.

After Clinton's two terms, along comes Bush Jr to steal the election of 2000; Bush the younger was controlled by the Neocons and Darth Vader commonly known as the slick greedy ambitious Dick Cheney. They ILLEGALLY INVADED IRAQ!

GWB, the younger, wasn't exactly the sharpest knife in the drawer and poor fool, he did not know what was going on in his own administration until late into his second term. Today, Iraq, because of GWB and the neocons is in a far worse shape than under Saddam where at least they had stability and most people were not refugees and or being killed.

So much for US bullshit. But Clinton was a pretty good president and Obama, were it not for the obstructionist GOP might have been one of the greats; he introduced Affordable Health Care, anathema to the Republicans, and if he does nothing else he has done a great service to the American people.
OmSigDAVID

Reply Mon 20 Jan, 2014 06:13 am
@izzythepush,
OmSigDAVID wrote:
I don t take it seriously.
izzythepush wrote:
I deem the claims made by rightwing war mongers to be a joke,
and we should never take them seriously again.
That 's OK.
U have your sovereignty; we have ours.

izzythepush wrote:
The vote in the Commons on Syria [????]
shows we've swallowed more than enough American bullshit.
I remain 1OO% neutral qua Syria. I do not support obama 's interferences there.
I have no idea what your vote concerned.

izzythepush wrote:
I never forgot.
The point was that we prevented him from using it against US.
izzythepush

Reply Mon 20 Jan, 2014 09:11 am
@OmSigDAVID,
OmSigDAVID wrote:
That 's OK.
U have your sovereignty; we have ours.

No we don't, not while there's American troops on our soil.
izzythepush

Reply Mon 20 Jan, 2014 09:17 am
@Moment-in-Time,
I'm amazed that people are still credulous enough to believe that the Pentagon actually thought Iraq had WMDs immediately prior to invasion.

Quote:
The Bush administration’s primary justification for launching the Iraq War is thought, probably correctly, to be an alleged WMD program that did not exist. The coterie of delusional neoconservatives surrounding Bush and Cheney contributed to a systematic process of cherry-picking dubious intelligence and outright manipulation of evidence in order to satisfy a political decision that had already been made to change the regime in Iraq through a war of aggression.

The historical record pretty clearly demonstrates the distortions the administration employed to make the case that Saddam Hussein had WMDs. Inspectors who said they didn’t exist were ignored, false stories about aluminum tubes and yellowcake from Africa were peddled assertively, Iraqi defectors that were known liars were used as anonymous sources alleging Saddam’s WMD development, etc.

An investigation by a committee in the House of Representatives in 2004 identified “237 misleading statements about the threat posed by Iraq that were made by President Bush, Vice President Cheney, Secretary Rumsfeld, Secretary Powell, and National Security Advisor Rice. These statements were made in 125 separate appearances, consisting of 40 speeches, 26 press conferences and briefings, 53 interviews, 4 written statements, and 2 congressional testimonies.” According to the committee, at least 61 separate statements “misrepresented Iraq’s ties to al-Qaeda.” A Senate investigation in 2006 also covered these lies.

http://antiwar.com/blog/2013/03/18/911-and-iraq-the-wars-greatest-lie/
Olivier5

Reply Mon 20 Jan, 2014 09:20 am
@Olivier5,
Frank Apisa wrote:
Some of the things happening have been considered by people of both parties...people both in the executive and legislative branches...and people who lean both to the left and to the right in the American political spectrum. If you want to think that your considerations trump theirs...fine.

BTW, could you list these people and what they have said of Gitmo? I find it quite presumptuous of them to think I am wrong...
izzythepush

Reply Mon 20 Jan, 2014 09:23 am
@Olivier5,
Who are you addressing Ollie? Some editing needed.
Olivier5

Reply Mon 20 Jan, 2014 09:24 am
@izzythepush,
Tx, fixed now.
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Mon 20 Jan, 2014 09:35 am
@Olivier5,
Olivier5 wrote:

Frank Apisa wrote:
Some of the things happening have been considered by people of both parties...people both in the executive and legislative branches...and people who lean both to the left and to the right in the American political spectrum. If you want to think that your considerations trump theirs...fine.

BTW, could you list these people and what they have said of Gitmo? I find it quite presumptuous of them to think I am wrong...

No, I'd rather not. But they are lumped together and called "our government."

By the way, I think your " I find it quite presumptuous of them to think I am wrong..." pretty sharp. I enjoyed it...almost as much as I am enjoying your go-round with CM. He is a handful!
ehBeth

Reply Mon 20 Jan, 2014 09:36 am
@Brandon9000,
Brandon9000 wrote:
The belief that he had merely taken his WMD programs underground was very widespread at the time all over the world.

nope

there's a reason that not many major nations bought into the US plan

no proof

Canada is still waiting for the proof then-prime minister Chretien asked for.

http://www.quotesdaddy.com/author/Jean+Chretien

Quote:
" A proof is a proof. What kind of a proof? It's a proof. A proof is a proof. And when you have a good proof, it's because it's proven.”

The way he said it seemed a bit funny at the time ... but he was right.

http://thestateofthecentury.wordpress.com/2012/11/16/on-the-right-side-of-history-jean-chretiens-post-911-foreign-policy/

Quote:

Since 2001 the Canadian government was growing increasingly uncomfortable with the notion of an Iraq invasion, Ottawa simply did not see a link between 9/11 and Iraq.

For Ottawa to see an invasion of Iraq as legitimate, it believed it must pose a threat.

Foreign minister Bill Graham argued that “under international law, proof of an imminent threat of an attack would be required to justify a pre-emptive strike against Iraq.”

But after a conversation where Bush attempted to convince Chrétien of the danger of Iraqi WMD, Chrétien’s senior policy advisor Eddie recalls Chrétien “shrugged and said, ‘I started my career as a small-town lawyer, and I heard nothing today from the president that would convince any judge in a rural courthouse.’”

On 4 December 2002 statement before the Standing Committee of Foreign Affairs and International Trade, Charles – Philippe David stated that “the argument that the evil Iraq regime must be toppled now, immediately, without delay, rings hollow. The threat today is not so much greater as it was four years ago, certainly not enough to justify imminent war.”

Put simply, both Chrétien and the Canadian government saw an invasion of Iraq for what it was, both unnecessary and illegitimate.

Quote:
Canada “had to consider whether participating in a war declared by non-Islamic western countries, without the support of the United Nations, against a government of an Islamic country, no matter how abhorrent the regime, would in the end bring about more democracy in the Middle East, or whether it would be responsible for provoking more terrorism in the world.”

Chrétien argued it is important for the United States to act multilaterally, stated that “‘it is imperative to avoid the perception on a clash of civilizations. Maximum use of the United Nations would minimize that risk.’"

we all know how it has worked out
0 Replies

Olivier5

Reply Mon 20 Jan, 2014 09:51 am
@Frank Apisa,
Quote:

Meaning you don't know who they are nor what they said or thought about Gitmo, yet you're positive I am presumptuous in thinking what I think... Go figure.

You don't need to ask permission to the government before thinking, you know?
izzythepush

Reply Mon 20 Jan, 2014 09:54 am
@Frank Apisa,
Whichever way you want to look at Frank, you can't deny that Guantanamo Bay has been Al Qaida's greatest recruiting sergeant.
izzythepush

Reply Mon 20 Jan, 2014 09:56 am
@izzythepush,
On the subject of Guantanamo Bay.
http://www.andyworthington.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/free-shaker-A6-care2.jpg
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Mon 20 Jan, 2014 10:10 am
@Olivier5,
Olivier5 wrote:

Quote:

Meaning you don't know who they are nor what they said or thought about Gitmo, yet you're positive I am presumptuous in thinking what I think... Go figure.

You don't need to ask permission to the government before thinking, you know?

If you think I am afraid to think for myself...something is seriously wrong with you. I am...and always have been...very, very outspoken. My postings here in A2K should corroborate that.

If a majority of the government thought Gitmo should have closed...it would be closed by now. The fact that it still is in operation tells us which view prevails. But, if you really want names: Geroge, Peter, Susan, Franklin, Bill, Terry, Ernest...

...and there are many more!

But you really do not need any names. All you have to do is to ask the question:

Is Gitmo still there...and operating?

If the answer is "yes"...it means the government has acquiesced in its existence. When the answer finally becomes "no"...(as it almost certainly will at some future time) things will have changed.

And I think you know that, Olivier.
Frank Apisa

Reply Mon 20 Jan, 2014 10:14 am
@izzythepush,
izzythepush wrote:

Whichever way you want to look at Frank, you can't deny that Guantanamo Bay has been Al Qaida's greatest recruiting sergeant.

I would imagine it definitely has been an important recruiting tool, Izzy.

Our invasion of Iraq and of Afghanistan...and our drone strikes in Pakistan were important recruiting tools also.

The fact that we are rich and powerful is also an important recruiting tool.

Complex world...weird crap going down. Don't want to be frivolous about this, but there's a tune going 'round in my head at this moment...and I find myself typing, "An' dats da way ob da lawd!"
Olivier5

Reply Mon 20 Jan, 2014 10:15 am
@Frank Apisa,
You do say platitudes in a very outspoken way ! Like this one:
Quote:
If a majority of the government thought Gitmo should have closed...it would be closed by now.

and if Mr de Lapalice was not dead, he would still be alive !

You ask permission to think to your government, if you think that it is presumptuous to disagree with them...