Is There Any Chance Christie Did NOT Know About the Dirty Tricks?

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Fri 14 Mar, 2014 06:37 pm
Consider, for a moment, the amount of MSM attention to this matter as compared with its focus on the politicization of the IRS.

Does it really make sense to you?
panzade

Reply Fri 14 Mar, 2014 10:05 pm
@Finn dAbuzz,
The amount of coverage by MSNBC on Christie is absurd.
The amount of coverage on the IRS is a little underwhelming, but then there's not much of a story there.
Everybody tries to beat the IRS...Republicans and Democrats.
Finn dAbuzz

Reply Fri 14 Mar, 2014 10:28 pm
@panzade,
True, everyone tries to beat the IRS, but when the IRS starts trying to beat up on groups and individuals based on their political leanings, we are all in a heap of sh*t.

Everyone should be outraged by the IRS targeting of conservatives.

Once either side accepts this sort of abuse of power they open the door for even more.
panzade

Reply Fri 14 Mar, 2014 10:34 pm
@Finn dAbuzz,
Quote:

I haven't seen any evidence of this, but I'll be glad to look at anything you've got.
Finn dAbuzz

Reply Fri 14 Mar, 2014 11:05 pm
@panzade,
You haven't seen it because you aren't looking, and are not inclined to believe it if it is stuck under your nose.

Remember, it was Lois Lerner herself who blew the whistle on the practice in the first place.

Of the 162 organizations on which the IRS focused 83% were conservative. Now I suppose one could argue: "Well, that's because conservative groups are the ones violating the laws," but this would be, at best, a disingenuous argument.

And then there is the case of Catherine Englebrecht whose business and family felt the full brunt of an abusive federal government because of what can only be seen as her political leanings.

The evidence is out there. If you want to ignore it, fine, but when Republicans next control the government (and eventually they will) and they take a "what's good for the goose..." approach to governing, I guarantee you that you will then join me in expressing outrage in abuse of power.
Frank Apisa

Reply Sat 15 Mar, 2014 06:31 am
@panzade,
panzade wrote:

Quote:

I haven't seen any evidence of this, but I'll be glad to look at anything you've got.

You haven't seen any of this because it is abject nonsense. Just more of the delusion that conservatives are somehow at a disadvantage in American society...when in fact, they are at a huge advantage.
panzade

Reply Sat 15 Mar, 2014 08:51 am
@Finn dAbuzz,
Quote:

Of the 162 organizations on which the IRS focused 83% were conservative. Now I suppose one could argue: "Well, that's because conservative groups are the ones violating the laws,"

You've convinced me. Well done.
0 Replies

JTT

Reply Sat 15 Mar, 2014 09:42 am
@Finn dAbuzz,
Finn: You haven't seen it because you aren't looking, and are not inclined to believe it if it is stuck under your nose.
///////

You say the funniest things, Finn. And you don't even see how hypocritical you are.

I provide you with volumes of information, placed right in front of your nose, Pan's nose too, and fleeing and avoidance are the tools of choice for y'all.
0 Replies

JTT

Reply Sat 15 Mar, 2014 09:44 am
@Frank Apisa,
Frank: You haven't seen any of this because it is abject nonsense. Just more of the delusion that conservatives are somehow at a disadvantage in American society...when in fact, they are at a huge advantage.
////

That's not at all the point, frank. It's not surprising that you don't see the point.
0 Replies

Moment-in-Time

Reply Sat 15 Mar, 2014 10:26 am
@panzade,
Quote:

The amount of coverage by MSNBC on Christie is absurd.

That, of course, Panzade, is the opinion of some. Please bear with me if I say I'm not of that view. What might be irrational and too much coverage for some just possibly might not be enough reportage for others. The more exposure the scheming Chris Christi gets the more knowledgeable New Jerseyans will be....they have a right to know if their governor is a crook! Much credit should be given to Steve Kornacki, MSNBC, for covering so well the Bridgegate scandal along with Rachel Maddow for keeping the public abreast of developments.

Chris Christi is a Republican governor who has tried to bribe Democratic mayors to vote for him; he has tried to bargain with Mayor Zimmer of Hoboken in exchange for Hurricane Sandy Relief aid , a city in NJ which was practically under water. Christi gave 10.5 million dollars of Sandy aid to a senior citizen project that had been in the pipe line long before Sandy and wasn't in the least impacted by the Hurricane in exchange for the mayor's endorsing him for reelection.....There was such a brouhaha when the public heard about the governor using Sandy aid as a slush fund, that the Christi administration decided seniors who were impacted by the Sandy devastation would be first to move in.....which originally, it was only for seniors of the community. Christi is still in a position of authority as governor of NJ and is seen by many as immoral and underserving of this post and should resign.

Therefore, my fellow poster, you and I will have to agree to disagree about too much MSNBC's coverage of the current governor of New Jersey.
JTT

Reply Sat 15 Mar, 2014 10:30 am
@Moment-in-Time,
You are excessively cloying, MiT.
0 Replies

panzade

Reply Sat 15 Mar, 2014 10:38 am
@Moment-in-Time,
Point taken.
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Sat 15 Mar, 2014 11:18 am
@Moment-in-Time,
And somewhere between $2 and $3 million for TV ads that were transparently ads for his re-election.

Jersey...stronger than the storm!
0 Replies

Advocate

Reply Sat 15 Mar, 2014 02:23 pm
@Finn dAbuzz,
You are ignorant of some key facts.

Conservative, not liberal, organizations were flooding the IRS with applicat- ions for exemption. Further, the segregation of conservative AND liberal applications was engineered by a mid-level IRS manager who admits to being a conservative Republican. He said he did this to facilitate processing the applications.

Lerner did nothing wrong. She is taking the Fifth because she is the focus of a witch-hunt by the right. This is why the Reps are not rushing to grant her immunity, which would force her to testify. She could easily show her innocence.

A number of Reps have trashed the IRS, claiming nonexistant persecution. They know that the IRS, subject to strict confidentiality rules, cannot respond unless the taxpayers grant waivers of the rules. They will not do that because the IRS could easily refute the false claims of persecution.
0 Replies

IRFRANK

Reply Sat 15 Mar, 2014 02:29 pm
@Finn dAbuzz,
Quote:
The evidence is out there. If you want to ignore it, fine, but when Republicans next control the government (and eventually they will) and they take a "what's good for the goose..." approach to governing, I guarantee you that you will then join me in expressing outrage in abuse of power.

This is completely one sided. I know that's your view. To think that conservatives would be fair and balanced if this hadn't happened is laughable. They didn't target conservatives, they targeted groups likely to abuse the 501c status. And if you want to see partisan abuse you only need to look at those very groups. A conservative whining about abuse of power is like the bull in the china shop.
0 Replies

JTT

Reply Sat 15 Mar, 2014 02:35 pm
@Finn dAbuzz,
Finn: The evidence is out there.

If it's so out there, Finn, why haven't you brought it in here?
0 Replies

parados

Reply Thu 20 Mar, 2014 12:32 pm
@Finn dAbuzz,
Finn dAbuzz wrote:

Consider, for a moment, the amount of MSM attention to this matter as compared with its focus on the politicization of the IRS.

Does it really make sense to you?

Considering the number of MSM stories on the IRS far exceed anything about Christie, I am unclear what you are whining about. Can you explain?
panzade

Reply Tue 25 Mar, 2014 12:27 pm
Chris Christie is innocent!

According to his lawyers

One million taxpayer dollars paid to Christie's law firm to exonerate him.

As Gomer Pyle would say:
Surprise Surprise
0 Replies

Baldimo

Reply Tue 25 Mar, 2014 01:30 pm
@parados,
Can you prove this? Seems there were almost no stories about the IRS other then to report that Lois Lerner pleaded the 5th (innocent people do not claim the 5th) on 2 different occasions. Other then that, the stories were few and far between. Christie's story was the front running story for several weeks, and it only effected 2 states. The IRS scandal was much farther reaching and effected many more people.
panzade

Reply Tue 25 Mar, 2014 02:00 pm
@Baldimo,
Quote:
The IRS scandal was much farther reaching and effected many more people.

Calling it a scandal is disingenuous at best.

A May 14 draft report by the Treasury Inspector General for Tax Administration found that none of the 296 questionable applicants had been denied: “For the 296 potential political cases we reviewed, as of December 17, 2012, 108 applications had been approved, 28 were withdrawn by the applicant, none had been denied, and 160 cases were open from 206 to 1,138 calendar days (some crossing two election cycles).”

In fact, the only known 501(c)(4) applicant whose request for tax-exempt status was recently denied happens to be a progressive group: the Maine chapter of Emerge America, which trains Democratic women to run for office. Although the group did no electoral work, and didn’t participate in independent expenditure campaign activity either, its partisan nature disqualified it from being categorized as working for the “common good.”

From the Inspector General's report:

Quote:
...the deluge of Tea Party applications combined with the politicization of the process has allowed them to slip through. A closer look at the activities of some of the Tea Party groups that are currently under review or have received non-profit status from the IRS reveals a difficult and potentially dangerous situation.

The tea Party groups have been playing a shell game
Quote:
The First Coast Tea Party Inc. of Jacksonville, Florida, for example, which applied for 501(c)(4) status in 2009 — and received it in 2011.

Commenting about the recent IRS controversy on Facebook, the group declared “We file a tax return, account for every penny. We do not endorse candidates, that is a no no.”
Yet the First Coast group has boasted about directly helping Republican campaigns. In an August 30, 2012 Facebook post, for instance, the group advertised a Jacksonville rally for Republican presidential candidate Mitt Romney and his vice-presidential nominee Paul Ryan, adding, “bring your chairs and your signs, make sure they know that the First Coast Tea Party is and has been helping their campaign.”
0 Replies