Is There Any Chance Christie Did NOT Know About the Dirty Tricks?

anonymously99

Reply Fri 17 Jan, 2014 08:01 pm
@Advocate,
Well don't be mean about it.
0 Replies

oralloy

Reply Fri 17 Jan, 2014 09:40 pm
@wmwcjr,
wmwcjr wrote:
oralloy wrote:
Whatever. You're evil. That you object to me posting facts.... Meh. That doesn't bother me nearly as much as the horror I feel whenever I see one of your posts.

Ossobuco is not evil. She's a very nice lady.

That is incorrect. Ossobuco is a monster who does everything she can to aid the cause of injustice against innocent people.

wmwcjr wrote:
Oralloy, your use of the word "evil" in this particular context cheapens its meaning.

I do not see how the denunciation of evil cheapens the meaning of evil.

wmwcjr wrote:
(However, I must admit that a certain frequent one-sentence expression of yours actually makes me chuckle. Smile )

The reply I give when someone falsely accuses me of their own shortcomings?
0 Replies

oralloy

Reply Fri 17 Jan, 2014 09:40 pm
@farmerman,
farmerman wrote:
SO, by stating that the points that Scalia ADDED to the majority opinion, because they were not the focus of the litigation, DONT EXIST??
(playing theme song from Twilight Zone).
Youre an ex lawyer, you don't think that Scalias USSC writing would be entered into fact should some case be forwarded?

OmSigDAVID has a good point regarding the validity of dicta.

However, I believe that it is more pertinent that Scalia has never said anything remotely like what is being claimed.

farmerman wrote:
Its a fact, please don't, as Oralloy, deny away its existence. Youre smarter than that .

I don't see why you'd think intelligence would prevent the denial of falsehoods.
0 Replies

oralloy

Reply Fri 17 Jan, 2014 09:41 pm
@farmerman,
Quote:
We are aware of the problem of handgun violence in this country,” Justice Antonin Scalia wrote for the majority in the Heller decision. “But,” he added, “the enshrinement of constitutional rights necessarily takes certain policy choices off the table.”

Still, the Heller decision contained a long list of laws and regulations that would, be unaffected. Among them were “laws forbidding the carrying of firearms in sensitive places such as schools.”

“Nothing in our opinion should be taken to cast doubt on longstanding prohibitions on the possession of firearms by felons and the mentally ill,” Justice Scalia wrote. Government buildings in general could still ban guns. And the court said it had no quarrel with “laws imposing conditions and qualifications on the commercial sale of arms.”

Justice Scalia added that laws banning “dangerous and unusual weapons” are “another important limitation on the right to keep and carry arms.” He gave an example: “M-16 rifles and the like.”

When the case was argued in 2008, Justice Scalia suggested that other kinds of weapons and ammunition could be regulated. “I don’t know that a lot of people have machine guns or armor-piercing bullets,” he said. “I think that’s quite unusual.”

Nothing in there saying that all gun control is Constitutional.

Nothing in there saying that all gun control that someone characterizes as "reasonable" is Constitutional.
oralloy

Reply Fri 17 Jan, 2014 09:42 pm
@Advocate,
Advocate wrote:
I said it was a dictum.

Your comment was inaccurate. Statements that do not exist, do not count as dicta.

Advocate wrote:
This is part of the case, which I guess you have not read.

It is true that I have not read any of the nonexistent parts of the ruling.
0 Replies

oralloy

@IRFRANK,
IRFRANK wrote:
oralloy wrote:
The NRA is not the gun manufacturers. The NRA is the moderate branch of the gun rights lobby.

You've had too much kool aid. Follow the money.

Pointing out how reality differs from Liberal indoctrination does not mean that I am also suffering from indoctrination.
0 Replies

farmerman

@oralloy,
well, maybe reading comp is an acquired skill with you.
oralloy

Reply Fri 17 Jan, 2014 09:43 pm
@Advocate,
Advocate wrote:
The following comes from Wikipedia.

"The courts have upheld most of these laws as being constitutional.[75] The basis for the lower court rulings is the paragraph near the end of the Heller ruling that states:
Nothing in our opinion should be taken to cast doubt on longstanding prohibitions on the possession of firearms by felons and the mentally ill, or laws forbidding the carrying of firearms in sensitive places such as schools and government buildings, or laws imposing conditions on the commercial sale of arms.[76]"

Nothing in there saying that all gun control that someone characterizes as "reasonable" is Constitutional.

Perhaps if you guys looked in the imaginary part of the ruling?
panzade

Reply Fri 17 Jan, 2014 09:45 pm
@Moment-in-Time,
I'll be keeping tabs on him.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Fri 17 Jan, 2014 09:45 pm
@oralloy,
you tried, you lost. Im gonna watch tv, you can sit and get all steamed up
oralloy

Reply Fri 17 Jan, 2014 09:54 pm
@farmerman,
farmerman wrote:

Nah. It's more that Justice Scalia did not say anything even remotely like what was claimed.
oralloy

Reply Fri 17 Jan, 2014 09:55 pm
@farmerman,
farmerman wrote:
you tried, you lost. Im gonna watch tv, you can sit and get all steamed up

I do not see how "me coming to a thread and adding pertinent facts to the discussion" could be considered a loss.

Get all steamed up? Over what?
anonymously99

Reply Fri 17 Jan, 2014 10:27 pm
@oralloy,
Farmerman is messing with your head.
0 Replies

OmSigDAVID

Reply Fri 17 Jan, 2014 11:06 pm
@oralloy,
farmerman wrote:
oralloy wrote:
Nah. It's more that Justice Scalia did not say anything even remotely like what was claimed.
What he SAID in HELLER actually IS quite encouraging
for supporters of the freedom of self defense.

David
anonymously99stwin

Reply Fri 17 Jan, 2014 11:22 pm
@OmSigDAVID,
What's wrong David?

I think I'm lost.

That or you guys continue bickering about old news. That will do nothing. Which leads to my confusion.
Advocate

Reply Fri 17 Jan, 2014 11:30 pm
@oralloy,
oralloy wrote:

Advocate wrote:

"The courts have upheld most of these laws as being constitutional.[75] The basis for the lower court rulings is the paragraph near the end of the Heller ruling that states:
Nothing in our opinion should be taken to cast doubt on longstanding prohibitions on the possession of firearms by felons and the mentally ill, or laws forbidding the carrying of firearms in sensitive places such as schools and government buildings, or laws imposing conditions on the commercial sale of arms.[76]"

You are quibbling. Can't you, for once, admit you were wrong.
anonymously99stwin

Reply Fri 17 Jan, 2014 11:30 pm
@anonymously99stwin,
anon wrote:
As I sit here thinking to myself you dirty boys..

0 Replies

oralloy

Reply Sat 18 Jan, 2014 12:00 am
@Advocate,
Advocate wrote:
oralloy wrote:
Advocate wrote:

You are quibbling.

Hmmm.

"argue or raise objections about a trivial matter:"
http://www.oxforddictionaries.com/us/definition/american_english/quibble

The fact that "Justice Scalia has not said anything even remotely like what was claimed" is not trivial to the point. Whether or not he said such a thing was the central pillar of the argument.

Advocate wrote:
Can't you, for once, admit you were wrong.

I prefer to only do that when I'm actually wrong.
0 Replies

OmSigDAVID

Reply Sat 18 Jan, 2014 12:53 am
@Advocate,
Advocate wrote:

"The courts have upheld most of these laws as being constitutional.[75]
Are thay after June of 2008 ?

Advocate wrote:
The basis for the lower court rulings is the
paragraph near the end of the Heller ruling that states:
Nothing in our opinion should be taken to cast doubt on longstanding
prohibitions on the possession of firearms by felons and the mentally ill,
or laws forbidding the carrying of firearms in sensitive places such as
schools and government buildings, or laws imposing conditions on the
commercial sale of arms.[76]"
Advocate, these issues remain for consideration, piecemeal in future litigation.
Thay clearly were not decided in HELLER.
Thay r obiter dicta, and not a source of judicial authority on those points.

The USSC clearly was saying
that no changes need be implimented on those issues YET,
until their principles have been fully tried out,
considered, analyzed, and adjudicated.

Do u believe in good faith, Advocate,
that the USSC has already decided that if
felons like Leona Helmsley or Martha Stewart had armed themselves for
safety in the streets, the 2nd Amendment woud not support them??

Does a man lose 2nd Amendment protection, Advocate, if
he has claustrophobia, or fear of flying, or partial amnesia, or a transvestite, or a vegitarian,
or insomnia, or if he has Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder about working too many hours a day?

The USSC did not define the concepts of "fellons" nor "mentally ill" nor did the Court
decide the principles involved in those issues; i.e., it is logically IMPOSSIBLE
for the lower courts to be guided by those un-decided issues.

Obiter dicta shud not be confused with legally binding precedent.

David

Advocate

Reply Sat 18 Jan, 2014 10:56 am
@OmSigDAVID,
I don't recall anyone saying anything different. Something showing up in a dictum is not, of course, settled law. However, it indicates how the court is leaning on a certain issue.