Democrats Are Risking Political Damnation

cicerone imposter

Reply Sat 24 Apr, 2004 09:53 am
blatham, You're barking up the wrong trunk; we all know of the many inconsistencies in the bible. Fundamentalist christians are okay with it; they know without doubt it's god's message. All those inconsistencies in the bible have now been shown in the current president and his administration, but that's okay too. They know god is directing this president. What more can we ask for?
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Sat 24 Apr, 2004 10:04 am
The release of the film "The Passion of the Christ" is not accidental timing -- would be that anyone will recognize the gambit as a reenactment of Pope Leo X selling justification and salvation in the form of little scrolls? Luther wrote his 95 points of thesis in response to this ridiculous notion and eventually broke away from the Catholic church. Today, one can buy a theater ticket for 9 bucks and be saved.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Sat 24 Apr, 2004 10:35 am
$9 bucks for salvation; what more can we ask for? I think two people died watching this show.
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Sat 24 Apr, 2004 11:09 am
Well, that was offset by one who confessed to a crime. Apparantly he was saved. Don't discount the timing -- it's being released in an election year is more telling of Gibson's intent than releasing it at Easter.
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Sat 24 Apr, 2004 11:10 am
(Neither candidate has even admitted they've seen it, however. Was this influenced more from the bad reviews?)
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Sat 24 Apr, 2004 11:11 am
(And where's Luther when you need him to tell everyone you don't need a movie to confirm your faith or to deliver your salvation to make that allmight buck?)

Luther wrote Leo X to tell him he should stop raising money to build St. Peters and give it to the needy. Interesting idea.
0 Replies

sumac

Reply Sat 24 Apr, 2004 11:26 am
Lightwizard:

Your said, "it's being released in an election year is more telling of Gibson's intent than releasing it at Easter". What, pray tell, is his intent?
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Sat 24 Apr, 2004 11:52 am
I guess you don't know Gibson's politics.
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Sat 24 Apr, 2004 11:53 am
(Much as he'd like to disavow any political motive, I don't believe Him).
0 Replies

revel

Reply Sat 24 Apr, 2004 03:32 pm
Actually Gibson has said that he questions Bush because of the Iraq war. I can't remember the exact quote or anything. I think it had more to do with easter than any election. I personaly don't understand all emotion from both sides about this movie.

I tried to look up and try to find any passages where it might say something about women lying with women, but I didn't have any luck, I will ask someone tomorrow and get back on that.

In any case, it does not matter. We rule by the constitution not the Bible and I don't know why or how anyone can justify wanting to ban gay marriages without using the Bible as a reason. I think it is just a matter of time before courts have to make a ruling on it based on the law as it stands now and soon gays will be allowed to marry in peace which is how it should be.
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Sat 24 Apr, 2004 03:50 pm
Yes, Gibson did say that but it would not keep him from supporting Bush. There's no question about the emotion on one side of his movie as opposed to the rational examination of just what was or was not accomplished. I found all the negative reviews as primarilly objective based on the artistic quality of the film. That is going off into a different discussion and it pretty much has been hashed and rehashed until there isn't much life left in it. Pardon me for even bringing it up.

Although Jesus said all laws will stand, he did not say anything about homosexuality. It's whether or not you want to believe the accuracy of such a vague endorsement (there's no comprehensive record of what laws he would have been aware of considering the OT was rewritten, edited, spliced and by who?).
0 Replies

hobitbob

Reply Sat 24 Apr, 2004 03:56 pm
Lightwizard wrote:
(And where's Luther when you need him to tell everyone you don't need a movie to confirm your faith or to deliver your salvation to make that allmight buck?)

Luther wrote Leo X to tell him he should stop raising money to build St. Peters and give it to the needy. Interesting idea.

Luther was in theatres this past fall, reminding everyonw that a scrawny Englishman can never accomplish what a corpulant German is able to. Wink
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Sat 24 Apr, 2004 04:02 pm
Besides, at least half the population demonstrably doesn't believe in the sanctity of marriage.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Sat 24 Apr, 2004 04:05 pm
LW, I think half is a conservative figure; the other half that thinks it's sanctified, many do not honor that definition.
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Sun 25 Apr, 2004 10:13 am
You're right -- in OC extra-marital affairs seem to be the norm, at least in my experience with clients and friends (especially the affluent).
0 Replies

sumac

Reply Sun 25 Apr, 2004 01:42 pm
The affluent have always pretty much done what pleased them, and to hell with the consequences or cost.
0 Replies

au1929

Reply Sun 25 Apr, 2004 01:49 pm
Marriage as an institution is fast becoming obsolete and is certainly not a deterrent to promiscuity and extra marital affairs. Rich or poor and to any one in between.
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Sun 25 Apr, 2004 09:34 pm
cicerone imposter wrote:
blatham, You're barking up the wrong trunk; we all know of the many inconsistencies in the bible. Fundamentalist christians are okay with it; they know without doubt it's god's message. All those inconsistencies in the bible have now been shown in the current president and his administration, but that's okay too. They know god is directing this president. What more can we ask for?

CI

I find myself barking up wrong trunks so commonly that I conclude it is for this express purpose which God has placed me here.

To make myself clear, as such inconsistencies you allude to (and which Kristoff notes just a very few of) demonstrate, a literal reading of the bible is a certain evidence of facile and shallow intellect and, quite possibly, of emotional pathology.

But to suggest that this bizarre American fundamentalism is representative either of christianity or of religion generally, is like thinking that the whole world is exactly like Lubbock Texas.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Sun 25 Apr, 2004 09:38 pm
au1929 wrote:
Marriage as an institution is fast becoming obsolete and is certainly not a deterrent to promiscuity and extra marital affairs. Rich or poor and to any one in between.

I not only concur, but would suggest the "institution" never was free of such failings . . . but its always been about property, anyway, in any situation in which people really cared . . .
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Sun 25 Apr, 2004 09:46 pm
I'm not really on the lookout for deterents to promiscuity.
0 Replies