Democrats Are Risking Political Damnation

Foxfyre

Reply Thu 22 Apr, 2004 05:39 pm
I understand the conflicting objective and subjective views of Christianity (and other religions for that matter) It seems that agnostics and athiests are primarily the ones that denounce religious views expressed by Bush and I think this is understandable too.

My observation, however, is that so far those who have a problem with Bush's faith-based rhetoric do not have any problem with Bill Clinton who said the same kinds of things. If anything, Clinton has assigned more Christian reponsibility and duty to implied policy than has Bush. I have to conclude that 1) they liked Clinton and 2) they don't like Bush. But to interpret the similar faith-based rhetoric differently between the two men is, by my definition, demonstrated bigotry. "Irrational hatred" is your term here, not mine.

(Craven will probably point out the holes in my argument here.)

I am thinking whether I 'consistently' interpret dislike/disapproval of George bush as 'irrational hatred'. I disagree that I do. But what looks like a duck, waddles like a duck, quacks like a duck.....well sometimes the shoe does fit, mixed metaphors notwithstanding Smile

As far as my views of whether Bush or Clinton demonstates the most sincerity in his professed Christian faith, you are entirely correct. You cannot really differentiate between the two by looking at speeches or transcriptions of press conferences. So my opinion here is based on known and observed behavior that I have commented on in earlier posts in this thread. And my opinion is exclusively my own. I do not presume to speak for anybody else.

Now I wonder. Assuming that we have accurately guaged the religious persuasion of each party, should we consider a man who professes a certain faith in God and tries to live up it to be more dangerous than a man who professes the same faith and doesn't? I guess that could be a legitimate debate.
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Thu 22 Apr, 2004 06:07 pm
Foxfyre wrote:
I understand the conflicting objective and subjective views of Christianity (and other religions for that matter) It seems that agnostics and athiests are primarily the ones that denounce religious views expressed by Bush and I think this is understandable too. I have not derogated, and certainly have not denounced, his religous views except insofar as relates to the proper role of his faith (or any faith) in governance, and as regards a particular notion which I believe he has demonstated of his personal importance in providence (you disagree).

My observation, however, is that so far those who have a problem with Bush's faith-based rhetoric do not have any problem with Bill Clinton who said the same kinds of things. If anything, Clinton has assigned more Christian reponsibility and duty to implied policy than has Bush. But I disagree with both those claims I have to conclude that 1) they liked Clinton and 2) they don't like Bush. true But to interpret the similar faith-based rhetoric differently between the two men is, by my definition, demonstrated bigotry. "Irrational hatred" is your term here, not mine. Words are but part of what we see differently. Thus I could make the opposite claim of 'irrational credulity'.

(Craven will probably point out the holes in my argument here.) He's busy with a local tart.

I am thinking whether I 'consistently' interpret dislike/disapproval of George bush as 'irrational hatred'. I disagree that I do. Very common claim from you. But what looks like a duck, waddles like a duck, quacks like a duck.....well sometimes the shoe does fit, mixed metaphors notwithstanding Smile That covers both bases, then.

As far as my views of whether Bush or Clinton demonstates the most sincerity in his professed Christian faith, you are entirely correct. You cannot really differentiate between the two by looking at speeches or transcriptions of press conferences. So my opinion here is based on known and observed behavior that I have commented on in earlier posts in this thread. And my opinion is exclusively my own. I do not presume to speak for anybody else. Ok.

Now I wonder. Assuming that we have accurately guaged the religious persuasion of each party, should we consider a man who professes a certain faith in God and tries to live up it to be more dangerous than a man who professes the same faith and doesn't? I guess that could be a legitimate debate. Please notice the structure of your question. It's clear to whom you refer in each alternate case as you have already described the two men precisely that way. But I (and others) don't accept the descriptions. To show you what I mean...let's do a different question....which should we consider more dangerous, a man who believes god is supporting him and directing him regardless of what others might think, or a man who acknowledges god as a directive force in the world but one who has given him no special licence or approval?
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Thu 22 Apr, 2004 06:11 pm
blatham wrote:
And again, you suggest that any/all dislike or disagreement with the man must stem from irrational hatred. You do this consistently.

Just so's ya know, Mr. Mountie, i've pointed this out more times than i can count--Fox usually does not reply, and within a few posts will again start railing against the "hatred" of those who criticize the Shrub.
0 Replies

Foxfyre

Reply Thu 22 Apr, 2004 06:12 pm
I would be more leery of the first. But if you say that describes George Bush, I respectfully disagree.

I have repeatedly challenged any to show me any verifiable quote from any speech or any press conference that would support that allegation. So far nobody has even acknowledged the challenge, much less produced any quotes.
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Thu 22 Apr, 2004 06:19 pm
ah, not so, dear lady...it is just that your verifiability meter gets readjusted in certain cases.
0 Replies

mesquite

Reply Thu 22 Apr, 2004 08:01 pm
Foxfyre wrote:
I would be more leery of the first. But if you say that describes George Bush, I respectfully disagree.

Well I for one, think Blatham phrased that question to exactly the way I see Bush.
Quote:
I have repeatedly challenged any to show me any verifiable quote from any speech or any press conference that would support that allegation. So far nobody has even acknowledged the challenge, much less produced any quotes.

As you put it earlier, it is difficult to pick any one speech or appearance that produces this image of Bush being very religious, but it does come accross to me very strongly. I think basically it just the preponderance of evidence. There are things he has said such as "I don't just talk the talk of my faith, I walk the walk"(not an exact quote but as I remember it).

As to your favorite term of Bush haters, if I may borrow a Christian phrase, it's not the man we hate it is the actions.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Thu 22 Apr, 2004 08:06 pm
For those of you that still have doubts about GWBush's religious beliefs, gander this link.
http://www.costanzo.org/Rex/Commentary/Bush%20Religion.htm
0 Replies

sumac

Reply Thu 22 Apr, 2004 08:28 pm
With the tables turned, my response is too long for one sentence so I must start anew.

I do believe that Bush's strength of faith as a guiding force in his life, and his behavior, is indeed stronger than most former presidents. And that is the point for me.

I distrust, and disapprove of, any person in such a position of high influence over so many things, who has ANY KIND of strong, dominating, all encompassing belief system, philosophy, world view, or just plain cognitive structure, because like a pair of eyeglasses with binoculars in front of both lenses, and blinders on both sides of the head, it leads to an extremely overdetermined tunnel vision. This, in turn, leads to unidimensional interpretations of all things, prevents complexity in preference for simplicity; in other words, black and white thinking instead of perceiving shades of gray. It is also a hallmark of the less intelligent people in any culture. The cognitive system is limited, the values are preordained, and the mind must stand upside down, if necessary, to find a way for understanding to also coincide with the tenets of whatever is the dominant construct.

In short, it is not the mind one would care to have sitting in the Oval Office.
0 Replies

sumac

Reply Thu 22 Apr, 2004 09:43 pm
Quote:
The March for Women's Lives is not just about choice on abortion, but literally about life or death for women all over the globe. The 34 Million Friends organization (which has been raising money dollar-by-dollar to replace the $34 million withheld for the last two years by the Bush Administration from the United Nations Population Fund) will be there. Founders Jane Roberts, a retired schoolteacher from California (the embodiment of all the Mrs. Witherspoons of our lives) and Lois Abraham, a lawyer from New Mexico, have raised millions and enabled the United Nations to re-open clinics in Mali and Senegal that provide pre-natal care and contraception. According to the Population Fund, the loss of $34 million from the United States led to two million more unwanted pregnancies, 800,000 induced abortions, 4,700 maternal deaths and 77,000 deaths of infants and children. Bush is expected to withhold the $34 million appropriated by Congress for the coming year as well.

Anti-choice policies threaten the lives of women around the world. Kofi Annan said, "HIV infection and AIDS are spreading dramatically and disproportionately among women. Today, AIDS has a woman's face." The first official action George W. Bush took as president was to reinstate the global gag rule of the Reagan years -- no clinic that so much as mentions abortion, even to women who will die without it, can receive U.S. aid. Between 1972 and 1989, Planned Parenthood used USAID financial assistance to provide 330 million cycles of birth control pills, 1.3 million condoms, 14 million IUDs and provide $92 million in financial assistance to over 439 family planning agencies around the world. The gag rule cut all funding to Planned Parenthood. Of course more abortions were the result.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Thu 22 Apr, 2004 09:45 pm
Nothing like a little compassionate conservatism in action.
0 Replies

sumac

Reply Thu 22 Apr, 2004 09:57 pm
My introductory comment somehow got lost for the post above. It said something to the effect that a perfectly good example of how Bush's dominating religion-based values influenced his action came from a Molly Ivins column, given in full in the above thread entitled "Molly Ivins: Be There for the March for Women's Lives".
0 Replies

Foxfyre

Reply Thu 22 Apr, 2004 11:30 pm
C.I. writes
Quote:
For those of you that still have doubts about GWBush's religious beliefs, gander this link.

Again C.I., your link is people who are putting words in GWB's mouth and drawing conclusions about what they think he said.

I will challenge you as I have challenged everybody else. Find me a quote or quotes from any verifiable Bush speech or press conference in which he said anything about God, faith, or religion that would alarm anybody who did not have a deep seated distrust or dislike of GWB.

So far nobody has been able to do that.

To everybody:

I really am getting weary of defending the issue though I am very confident of my position on this issue. I think you all have come up short in finding anything verifiable to substantiate your distrust of GWB re religion.

The thesis of this thread is that it will backfire on you if you attempt to attack the president on the issue of his faith.

How about we all go back to that thesis?
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Thu 22 Apr, 2004 11:48 pm
Foxfyre wrote:
I will challenge you as I have challenged everybody else. Find me a quote or quotes from any verifiable Bush speech or press conference in which he said anything about God, faith, or religion that would alarm anybody who did not have a deep seated distrust or dislike of GWB.

So far nobody has been able to do that.

Well, you keep revising the request. It will forever be out of anyone's reach.

1) Any quotes given will first be doubted as to veracity.

2) Any quotes that pass test 1 then are disregarded as something only someone with a "deep seated" distrust of GWB would take issue with.

You are stacking the deck again. And before you dismiss this out of hand like anything else you disagree with, note that I do not have any significant qualms with W's faith and have in fact has more spirited discussion with liberals on it than this one (e.g. Are We To Become A Christian Fundamentalist Nation?).

Basically I'm saying that you manage to set up a standard that even people who agree with the general gist of what you are trying to say (like myself) have a hard time accepting.
0 Replies

Foxfyre

Reply Fri 23 Apr, 2004 12:03 am
I didn't set the original thesis which was simply that most Americans do believe in God and do not have a problem with a president who is religious. Those who attack him on that basis run the risk of strengthening support for the current president.

Which is okay by me. Smile
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Fri 23 Apr, 2004 12:05 am
That's why I didn't say you did.

But you did set the increasingly impossible to reach criteria for evidence which unlike the thesis is what I was talking about.
0 Replies

revel

Reply Fri 23 Apr, 2004 06:26 am
I don't care if telling the truth as I see it does strengthen Bush and his bid for reelection, personally I think it is a risk worth taking in pointing out this man's fanaticism. Even if it backfires, at least it might give people food for thought in the back of their minds and might stem this weird tide that seems to be going on in our government sometime in the future.

I agree that a lot of people are religious, but most people do not want religion to be a role in our policies. Which is when you ask people if they agree that marriage is between a man and woman they say yes, but if you ask them if you want to make constitutional change to make it illegal for gays to marry they don't want to go that far.
0 Replies

Foxfyre

Reply Fri 23 Apr, 2004 06:53 am
Craven I did nothing of the sort. I'm relatively simple in my convictions actually, but I can defend what convictions I hold with at least some verifiable criteria whether or not others wish to consider the criteria I use. At some point, however, the 'seeming' consensus that I must 'prove' my point of view while those who challenge it feel no obligation to similarly 'prove' theirs eventually makes the discussion pointless. Not to mention tedious.

At least Revel, in her post immediately preceding this one, has the guts to lay something specific and debatable out there why she opposes Bush based on his religious beliefs. And she actually addressed the thesis of the thread. I find that quite refreshing.

Anyhow I'll be gone for a few days. So play nice everybody.
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Fri 23 Apr, 2004 09:42 am
Ys, you did. You did precisely that by making the evidenciary standard one that has to pass not one but two of your arbitrary and subjective criterias.

"The doorknob's too high."
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Fri 23 Apr, 2004 10:15 pm
paragraph from original article
Quote:
But at the same time, progressives should not belittle the notion that American foreign policy will support the objective of promoting God-given freedoms around the world. There is plenty of intellectual elitism in both parties, but in political terms, it's an arrogance that the Democrats would be well-advised to resist.

Of course, we don't have to posit a Christian god (or any god at all) to arrive at a justification for assuming individual freedoms. Moral philosophy gets us there.

But progressives who do not posit a god, such as myself, don't have to have any policy disagreement at all with those who think that those freedoms originate with god. The values, and the social goals, are the same - do what we can to increase freedoms.

But, a problem will arise if 'freedom' is described or defined according to a particular notion of either godliness or godlessness. For example, if one were to hold the views of Franklin Graham (Billy Graham's son) link then Muslim's (or Buddhists or anyone else) would never be truly 'free' until converted to Christianity. Or the same would hold true if religious belief were held to be an evidence of unfreedom.

None of which, of course, speaks to the more complex questions regarding separation of church and state, nor of whether the President has dangerous ideas regarding what warrant he might hold from god.
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Sat 24 Apr, 2004 07:47 am
Nicholas Kristoff has conveniently written this morning on our subject... http://www.nytimes.com/2004/04/24/opinion/24KRIS.html

Quote:
One of the most ferocious divides today is that between evangelical and secular America. Some conservative Christians are all too quick to sentence outsiders to hell. And liberals denounce stereotypes of Muslims but not of "Christian nuts."...

Of course, it's fair to criticize the Christian right's policies. Regular readers know I do so all the time, for religion is much too important an influence on policy to be a taboo. For example, while we're on the subject of gay marriage, one question for fundamentalist Christians is this: What's your basis for opposing lesbianism?

Granted, the Bible denounces male homosexuality, although it strikes me as inconsistent not to execute people who work on the Sabbath (Exodus 35:2) and not to crack down on those who get haircuts (Leviticus 19:27) or wear clothes with more than one kind of thread (Leviticus 19:19).

But there's no clear objection in the Bible to lesbianism at all. And since some fundamentalists have argued that AIDS is God's punishment for gay men, it's worth noting that lesbians are at less risk of AIDS than straight women. So if God is smiting gay men for their sin, is he rewarding lesbians for their holiness?

Those kinds of pointed questions are fair, but sneering is not.

I've noted the one point in red, as it is particularly important.
0 Replies