So Saying That Folks Should Follow Christian Morals is NOW A Firing Offense

OmSigDAVID

Sun 5 Jan, 2014 10:06 am

I wish that those of us who fight against political correctness
were represented as being somewhat more refined, suave, urbane,
and gracious than shown in that program. I saw it for a few minutes; painfully un-pleasant.

That program appears to imply that those of us who support
the philosophy of the American Revolution are not much above animals.
0 Replies

joefromchicago

Sun 5 Jan, 2014 11:15 pm
@engineer,
engineer wrote:

Robertson said homosexuals are:

'ruthless', 'full of murder', 'arrogant' and liable to 'invent ways of doing evil'.

So he didn't suggest people fire them, beat them or shun them, he just left it up to God-fearing people to do what they must.

Geez, can't a guy say "you're going to hell" without everyone taking it so damned personally?

The ironic thing here is that a lot of the people who are upset about Robertson's remarks concerning the sinfullness of homosexuality don't buy into the Christian notions of sin and hell anyway. So what do they have to get upset about? If someone told me that Zeus will condemn me to Hades for my failure to sacrifice to the gods of Olympus, I imagine that I would find it difficult to register even a slight degree of indignation. And I dare say that if someone told me that Xenu will condemn all homosexuals to a volcano because they're "full of murder" and they "invent ways of doing evil," I'd react in much the same way.
BillRM

Sun 5 Jan, 2014 11:38 pm
@joefromchicago,
Quote:
The ironic thing here is that a lot of the people who are upset about Robertson's remarks concerning the sinfullness of homosexuality don't buy into the Christian notions of sin and hell anyway.

That is one of the things that is amusing that for some strange reason some people wish for the power to take away the livelihood of idiots who publicly believe in the bible.

As an atheist I am sure Phil would have me in the same hell pit as Jcboy and so what?

One thing I am sure of it there is a Christian type hell it will be the place where you will find the most interesting and intelligent sections of the human race.
firefly

Mon 6 Jan, 2014 12:33 pm
@joefromchicago,
Quote:
The ironic thing here is that a lot of the people who are upset about Robertson's remarks concerning the sinfullness of homosexuality don't buy into the Christian notions of sin and hell anyway. So what do they have to get upset about?

I don't think they are upset about any notions of sin that Robertson holds, it's all about trying to promote same-sex marriage as a civil rights issue and not a religious morality issue. Robertson's view isn't new for him, or for a lot of people in Louisiana, but it is a view that constitutes the main opposition to marriage equality.

Robertson, in other comments in the GQ interview, makes it clear he really doesn't believe in, or want, the separation of church and state--he wants the Ten Commandments displayed in every courthouse. He wants the state to support, and promote, Judeo-Christian morality, mainly the Christian part, and his version of it.

So this is really a political battle, and I think that's what the upset was all about. The hardest place for gay rights groups to win that battle will be in states like Louisiana. I think this had little to do with Robertson personally--he represents the thinking of a lot of people, particularly in the South, the Bible Belt.
Quote:
The Robertson family resides in the state of Louisiana, which passed a constitutional amendment banning marriage equality. Still, according to public policy polling released in August, 56 percent of its residents support some sort of legal recognition, marriage or civil unions for gay and lesbian couples.
http://www.eonline.com/news/491973/glaad-responds-to-phil-robertson-s-gq-comments-regarding-homosexuality

I think it was more about trying to increase the percentage of people in Louisiana (and similar states), supporting some sort of legal recognition of same-sex unions, beyond 56%, and getting that constitutional amendment, banning marriage equality, repealed, than anything to do with Robertson or A & E.

And I think that in the GQ interview, Robertson was deliberately controversial, and trying to play his "redneck" act to the max. He wants this kind of publicity--he's got a new book coming out, and Duck Commander is going to launch their own line of guns, and he wants both to sell well.
engineer

Mon 6 Jan, 2014 12:57 pm
@joefromchicago,
joefromchicago wrote:
The ironic thing here is that a lot of the people who are upset about Robertson's remarks concerning the sinfullness of homosexuality don't buy into the Christian notions of sin and hell anyway. So what do they have to get upset about? If someone told me that Zeus will condemn me to Hades for my failure to sacrifice to the gods of Olympus, I imagine that I would find it difficult to register even a slight degree of indignation. And I dare say that if someone told me that Xenu will condemn all homosexuals to a volcano because they're "full of murder" and they "invent ways of doing evil," I'd react in much the same way.

What if he said to a room full of people you know who look up to him as an authority figure "You know that Joe guy? His heart is full of hate and he is liable to sit around and think of ways to do evil." Would you take it personally? What if those people started throwing rocks at you while you were running? How about if one of them decided that you were no longer needed at your workplace? The reality is that Christ has a lot more followers who can make your life hell than Zeus and if you were the target of such a large group you might decide to take personally. If Robertson said such things about me in a national forum and given that he's never met me, I'd be upset. I'm certain that some of those people sitting in that church where Robertson spoke those words had gay children, uncles, customers or aquaintances whose lives got a little harder because Robertson is such a "good Christian".
spendius

Mon 6 Jan, 2014 01:17 pm
@engineer,
From what little I have read it is him saying this--

Quote:
'It seems like, to me, a vagina - as a man - would be more desirable than a man’s anus.

'That’s just me. I’m just thinking: There’s more there! She’s got more to offer. I mean, come on, dudes! You know what I’m saying? But hey, sin: It’s not logical, my man. It’s just not logical.

that has upset people. I don't think there's been any talk of Hell or Hades.

He was probably defending women's monopoly on the grounds that undermining it might become popular and the little dears getting hung out to dry in the sun.
0 Replies

firefly

Mon 6 Jan, 2014 01:34 pm
@engineer,
Robertson would likely also say those same things to anyone who doesn't accept Jesus. And to anyone who engages in pre-marital or extra-marital sex.

In that GQ article he also says the Japanese bombed Pearl Harbor because they were "Shinto" and didn't accept Jesus, and the Nazis committed murders because they didn't accept Jesus--he thinks all the killing in the world is done by those who don't accept Jesus, he thinks they are all "murderers".

I think his comments about the blacks seeming happier in Jim Crow Louisiana "pre-entitlement and pre-welfare" ---remarks which are unrelated to religion--were considerably more offensive than what he said about gays. They reveal more personal bigotry on his part than the usual anti-gay rhetoric people have come to expect from the Bible-thumpers. His remarks advocating marrying females when they are only 15, because by the time they are 20, they'll be more likely to pick your pockets than pick your ducks for you, is also offensive and sexist.

I don't think people expect enlightened views from people like Robertson, and he enjoys playing the role of a redneck to the hilt. So I think a lot of the "indignation" from G.L.A.A.D., in this particular situation, may have been for political reasons and little else. If he expressed similar views on Duck Dynasty, there would have been more reason to express indignation to A & E. But A & E is careful to keep controversy, and mention of Christianity, and Jesus, and social issues, pretty much edited out of that show. When religion does come in, mainly when the family is shown saying grace before dinner, which is how each DD episode ends, it is shown as non-denominational, with no mention of Jesus, something that ticks Robertson off. But, for money ($200,000 per episode) he's willing to let Jesus be eliminated.

0 Replies

OmSigDAVID

Mon 6 Jan, 2014 01:51 pm
@firefly,
firefly wrote:
He wants this kind of publicity--he's got a new book coming out,
and Duck Commander is going to launch their own line of guns,
and he wants both to sell well.
Probably shotguns; I 've never cared much for shotguns.

David
0 Replies

joefromchicago

Mon 6 Jan, 2014 01:59 pm
@engineer,
engineer wrote:

What if he said to a room full of people you know who look up to him as an authority figure "You know that Joe guy? His heart is full of hate and he is liable to sit around and think of ways to do evil." Would you take it personally?

I imagine I would, but then it would have been directed at me personally, so I'm not sure how that works as an analogy. Robertson, after all, wasn't saying "Larry the homo is full of murder in his heart," he was saying that all gays are sinful according to his interpretation of the bible.

As I've mentioned before, Robertson espouses a hateful doctrine, but it's a doctrine that many others also espouse without anyone getting particularly bothered by it - largely because many people don't share that doctrine. What, after all, is the difference, aside from the tone, of Robertson saying all gays will burn in hell and a religious scholar writing that, after examination of the ur-texts and careful consideration, he agrees that the bible condemns homosexuality as a mortal sin? I can assure you there are plenty who fall in that second category, but they elicit barely a whimper of protest, even from the gay community. Yet Robertson and the careful biblical scholar are doing pretty much the same thing - interpreting Christian scripture. Why that should concern a non-Christian is an abiding mystery to me.

engineer wrote:
What if those people started throwing rocks at you while you were running? How about if one of them decided that you were no longer needed at your workplace?

Then I'd certainly have a problem with those people. But then Robertson wasn't telling people to go out and stone homosexuals to death. As long as he wasn't advocating action, he was just expressing an opinion. I have a pretty broad tolerance for opinions, even stupid and hateful ones.
firefly

Mon 6 Jan, 2014 02:46 pm
@joefromchicago,
Quote:
But then Robertson wasn't telling people to go out and stone homosexuals to death. As long as he wasn't advocating action, he was just expressing an opinion. I have a pretty broad tolerance for opinions, even stupid and hateful ones.

When you start scapegoating, and blaming, various groups for the "moral decay" of the country, which Phil Robertson was also doing, you get pretty close to advocating that people throw stones, or put them behind electrified fences, as one Baptist pastor said he would really like to do last year.

And, when you start blaming them for God's wrath against our country, and blaming them for the 9/11 terrorist attacks, as Jerry Falwell and Pat Robertson did in 2001, you're advocating flat out hatred for those groups, and you are throwing stones.
Quote:
Falwell: blame abortionists, feminists and gays
Guardian
Wednesday 19 September 2001

The Rev Jerry Falwell and Pat Robertson set off a minor explosion of their own when they asserted on US television that an angry God had allowed the terrorists to succeed in their deadly mission because the United States had become a nation of abortion, homosexuality, secular schools and courts, and the American civil liberties union.
Liberal groups and commentators denounced their remarks yesterday, as did President Bush, who has long enjoyed the political support of the two evangelists.

"The president believes that terrorists are responsible for these acts," said a White House spokesman, Ken Lisaius. "He does not share those views, and believes that those remarks are inappropriate."

Yet Mr Falwell's and Mr. Robertson's remarks were based in theology familiar to and accepted by many conservative evangelical Christians, who believe the Bible teaches that God withdraws protection from nations that violate his will.

Several conservative theologians and evangelists said in interviews yesterday that they agreed with the basic notion but rejected the idea that mere humans can ever know which particular sins lead to which particular tragedies.

The Rev R Albert Mohler Jr, president of the Southern Baptist Theological Seminary in Louisville, Kentucky, and a friend of Mr Falwell, said, "There is no doubt that America has accommodated itself to so many sins that we should always fear God's judgment and expect that in due time that judgment will come. But we ought to be very careful about pointing to any circumstance or any specific tragedy and say that this thing has happened because this is God's direct punishment."

Mr Falwell, chancellor of Liberty University in Lynchburg, Virginia, and senior pastor of Thomas Road Baptist Church there, was in Washington yesterday in a service at the National Cathedral at Mr Bush's invitation.

He released a statement on the controversy, saying: "Despite the impression some may have from news reports today, I hold no one other than the terrorists and the people and nations who have enabled and harboured them responsible for Tuesday's attacks on this nation.

"I sincerely regret that comments I made during a long theological discussion on a Christian television programme yesterday were taken out of their context and reported and that my thoughts - reduced to soundbites - have detracted from the spirit of this day of mourning."

What Mr Falwell said on Thursday on The 700 Club, while chatting with the programme's host, Mr Robertson, was this: "What we saw on Tuesday, as terrible as it is, could be minuscule if, in fact, God continues to lift the curtain and allow the enemies of America to give us probably what we deserve."

Mr Robertson responded: "Jerry, that's my feeling. I think we've just seen the antechamber to terror. We haven't even begun to see what they can do to the major population."

A few moments later Mr Falwell said: "The abortionists have got to bear some burden for this because God will not be mocked. And when we destroy 40 million little innocent babies, we make God mad. I really believe that the pagans, and the abortionists, and the feminists, and the gays and the lesbians who are actively trying to make that an alternative lifestyle, the ACLU, People for the American Way, all of them who have tried to secularise America, I point the finger in their face and say, 'You helped this happen.' "

To which Mr Robertson said: "I totally concur, and the problem is we have adopted that agenda at the highest levels of our government."

James Robison, a well-known evangelist in Euless, Texas, and host of the Christian television programme Life Today, emphasised a different catalogue of what he saw as sins: arrogance in relationships with third world countries, plundering other countries for resources while supporting their despots, and indifference to others' poverty and pain.

"Any time you get away from God, you do become vulnerable," Mr Robison said. "Bad judgment always leaves the door open to perpetrators of pain."

Among evangelicals, the terrorist attacks have unleashed renewed calls for repentance, prayer and spiritual revival.

"Many people are calling this a wake-up call, and yet it doesn't help us respond to God to somehow feel that we've been chastised by this," said Steve Hawthorne, director of WayMakers, a prayer ministry in Austin, Texas.

"It might be wise for us to examine our lives and our hearts and our practices."
http://www.theguardian.com/world/2001/sep/19/september11.usa9

Quote:
I have a pretty broad tolerance for opinions, even stupid and hateful ones.

I do too.

But that doesn't mean people should remain silent in response to stupid and hateful opinions, it simply means those opinions have a right to be voiced. Not remaining silent helps to keep hateful opinions from turning into hateful actions.
engineer

Mon 6 Jan, 2014 03:43 pm
@joefromchicago,
joefromchicago wrote:

Then I'd certainly have a problem with those people. But then Robertson wasn't telling people to go out and stone homosexuals to death. As long as he wasn't advocating action, he was just expressing an opinion. I have a pretty broad tolerance for opinions, even stupid and hateful ones.

He certainly has the right to express his opinion just as I have the right to express a counter opinion. He has a much bigger megaphone for his opinion but that is life. I disagree with the idea that Robertson was not advocating action. The logical conclusion of his speech is that good Christians must take action against those thinking of ways to do evil. Convincing people you are a danger to the community is the first step. You're surprised that people, Christian and non-Christian are upset with Robertson's words, but the alternative is to leave them out there unchallenged.
joefromchicago

Mon 6 Jan, 2014 04:03 pm
@firefly,
firefly wrote:
When you start scapegoating, and blaming, various groups for the "moral decay" of the country, which Phil Robertson was also doing, you get pretty close to advocating that people throw stones, or put them behind electrified fences, as one Baptist pastor said he would really like to do last year.

Well then I suppose I should be pretty close to being upset.

firefly wrote:
And, when you start blaming them for God's wrath against our country, and blaming them for the 9/11 terrorist attacks, as Jerry Falwell and Pat Robertson did in 2001, you're advocating flat out hatred for those groups, and you are throwing stones.

I don't see it that way.

firefly wrote:
But that doesn't mean people should remain silent in response to stupid and hateful opinions, it simply means those opinions have a right to be voiced. Not remaining silent helps to keep hateful opinions from turning into hateful actions.

As long as he's talking about sin and damnation, I don't have an opinion about that one way or the other.
spendius

Mon 6 Jan, 2014 04:10 pm
@joefromchicago,
Quote:
As long as he's talking about sin and damnation, I don't have an opinion about that one way or the other.

Which lets you off having an opinion on what I posted from the interview.

People who care about sin and damnation spend their whole lives in pious devotions so you can see with your own eyes how rare they are.
0 Replies

joefromchicago

Mon 6 Jan, 2014 04:13 pm
@engineer,
engineer wrote:
I disagree with the idea that Robertson was not advocating action. The logical conclusion of his speech is that good Christians must take action against those thinking of ways to do evil.

I don't agree with that. Although the whole "hate the sin, love the sinner" thing is a cliche, there are a lot of Christians who not only believe in it but who actually follow it, and I have seen no evidence to convince me that Robertson isn't one of them. There's a big difference between saying "god hates homosexuality" and "god commands us to punish homosexuals," and, unlike you, I'm not prepared to assume that Robertson has taken the step from condemning the sin to advocating violence against the sinner.

engineer wrote:
Convincing people you are a danger to the community is the first step. You're surprised that people, Christian and non-Christian are upset with Robertson's words, but the alternative is to leave them out there unchallenged.

I'm not surprised that some Christians take issue with Robertson's theology. If they disagree with him, they should take issue with him. But then that's where the discussion belongs - within a theological community. Why non-Christians would give a damn about Robertson's views on the bible, on the other hand, continues to baffle me.
BillRM

Mon 6 Jan, 2014 04:27 pm
@joefromchicago,
To me Engineer is just trying to find some justification to harm someone who would dare to say correctly that the bible does not look upon homosexuals with any favor and condemn such people.

No where can I find one word by the man that homosexuals should be attack even if the bible does state they should be killed right along with any one that work on "Sunday" or any child that talk back to his or her parents.

The bible is stupid and parts are full of hate but that still does not grant any license to Engineer or GLAAD or anyone else to harm a true believer unless he or she should take it to the point of attacking as in physically attacking someone base on those beliefs.

firefly

Mon 6 Jan, 2014 04:53 pm
@BillRM,
Quote:
To me Engineer is just trying to find some justification to harm someone who would dare to say correctly that the bible does not look upon homosexuals with any favor and condemn such people.

Where is engineer trying to find justification for harming someone with views like those of Robertson?

Isn't he rather saying that hateful views, such as those expressed by Robertson, can lead to harm for the people he's talking about?

He's also simply saying that others have a right to speak up against such views if they find them hateful or offensive. And that's all that engineer and G.L.A.A.D. are doing, speaking out.

On the other hand, people who hold views like those of Robertson, are also the ones who bomb abortion clinics, kill people working in them, and harass those trying to enter them. And such views have prevented homosexuals from getting employment, and resulted in people trying to ruin their businesses.

Being a "true believer" doesn't mean Robertson should be shielded from the reactions of those who find his comments offensive, or those whose beliefs differ from his.
firefly

Mon 6 Jan, 2014 05:34 pm
@joefromchicago,
I just heard on the news that tonight it will be as cold in Chicago as it is at the South Pole.

Try to stay warm.

hawkeye10

Mon 6 Jan, 2014 05:53 pm
@firefly,
firefly wrote:

I just heard on the news that tonight it will be as cold in Chicago as it is at the South Pole.

Try to stay warm.

but any gun chat needs to get off the thread and go to PM according to you.

0 Replies

OmSigDAVID

Mon 6 Jan, 2014 05:56 pm
@firefly,
firefly wrote:

Quote:
But then Robertson wasn't telling people to go out and stone homosexuals to death. As long as he wasn't advocating action, he was just expressing an opinion. I have a pretty broad tolerance for opinions, even stupid and hateful ones.

Quote:
Falwell: blame abortionists, feminists and gays
Guardian
Wednesday 19 September 2001

The Rev Jerry Falwell and Pat Robertson set off a minor explosion of their own when they asserted on US television that an angry God had allowed the terrorists to succeed in their deadly mission because the United States had become a nation of abortion, homosexuality, secular schools and courts, and the American civil liberties union.
Liberal groups and commentators denounced their remarks yesterday, as did President Bush, who has long enjoyed the political support of the two evangelists.

"The president believes that terrorists are responsible for these acts," said a White House spokesman, Ken Lisaius. "He does not share those views, and believes that those remarks are inappropriate."

Yet Mr Falwell's and Mr. Robertson's remarks were based in theology familiar to and accepted by many conservative evangelical Christians, who believe the Bible teaches that God withdraws protection from nations that violate his will.

Several conservative theologians and evangelists said in interviews yesterday that they agreed with the basic notion but rejected the idea that mere humans can ever know which particular sins lead to which particular tragedies.

The Rev R Albert Mohler Jr, president of the Southern Baptist Theological Seminary in Louisville, Kentucky, and a friend of Mr Falwell, said, "There is no doubt that America has accommodated itself to so many sins that we should always fear God's judgment and expect that in due time that judgment will come. But we ought to be very careful about pointing to any circumstance or any specific tragedy and say that this thing has happened because this is God's direct punishment."

Mr Falwell, chancellor of Liberty University in Lynchburg, Virginia, and senior pastor of Thomas Road Baptist Church there, was in Washington yesterday in a service at the National Cathedral at Mr Bush's invitation.

He released a statement on the controversy, saying: "Despite the impression some may have from news reports today, I hold no one other than the terrorists and the people and nations who have enabled and harboured them responsible for Tuesday's attacks on this nation.

"I sincerely regret that comments I made during a long theological discussion on a Christian television programme yesterday were taken out of their context and reported and that my thoughts - reduced to soundbites - have detracted from the spirit of this day of mourning."

What Mr Falwell said on Thursday on The 700 Club, while chatting with the programme's host, Mr Robertson, was this: "What we saw on Tuesday, as terrible as it is, could be minuscule if, in fact, God continues to lift the curtain and allow the enemies of America to give us probably what we deserve."

Mr Robertson responded: "Jerry, that's my feeling. I think we've just seen the antechamber to terror. We haven't even begun to see what they can do to the major population."

A few moments later Mr Falwell said: "The abortionists have got to bear some burden for this because God will not be mocked. And when we destroy 40 million little innocent babies, we make God mad. I really believe that the pagans, and the abortionists, and the feminists, and the gays and the lesbians who are actively trying to make that an alternative lifestyle, the ACLU, People for the American Way, all of them who have tried to secularise America, I point the finger in their face and say, 'You helped this happen.' "

To which Mr Robertson said: "I totally concur, and the problem is we have adopted that agenda at the highest levels of our government."

James Robison, a well-known evangelist in Euless, Texas, and host of the Christian television programme Life Today, emphasised a different catalogue of what he saw as sins: arrogance in relationships with third world countries, plundering other countries for resources while supporting their despots, and indifference to others' poverty and pain.

"Any time you get away from God, you do become vulnerable," Mr Robison said. "Bad judgment always leaves the door open to perpetrators of pain."

Among evangelicals, the terrorist attacks have unleashed renewed calls for repentance, prayer and spiritual revival.

"Many people are calling this a wake-up call, and yet it doesn't help us respond to God to somehow feel that we've been chastised by this," said Steve Hawthorne, director of WayMakers, a prayer ministry in Austin, Texas.

"It might be wise for us to examine our lives and our hearts and our practices."
http://www.theguardian.com/world/2001/sep/19/september11.usa9
I am a conservative; a REAL one relative to the US Constitution;
witness the fact that I worked and voted for Barry Goldwater
and Ronald Reagan. It is ERROR of logic to call Falwell or Robertson
"conservative" (i.e., politically conservative) because America
was created to be a secular Republic and these guys are theocrats.
Accordingly THAY R LIBERAL in that thay deviate from the Constitutional scheme.
The hallmark of liberalism is deviation and distortion. A liberal interpretation
of a contract or of a statute is one that is DIFFERENT than the original version.
A liberal interpretation of anything is un-orthodox.
DEVIATION in any direction is liberal,
not just the direction of Roosevelt n Kennedy.

Those guys were lucky not to have gotten lynched
for blaming God for the crimes of 9/11/1.

I remember studying NY's Domestic Relations Law when I was in law school,
both the statute and the common law arising therefrom.
As I read of this intrusion of government into marriage,
I felt outraged, as a citizen. I had and have a very strong
sentiment that something so personal IS NONE OF GOVERNMENT's business.
It shud be a private, personal decision.

At most, at worst, government shud only be INFORMED of marriage, if that.

David
spendius

Mon 6 Jan, 2014 06:05 pm
@firefly,
Quote:
Being a "true believer" doesn't mean Robertson should be shielded from the reactions of those who find his comments offensive, or those whose beliefs differ from his.

He is no believer ff. He is an astute and cynical manipulator of social tension and polarised prejudices as are those who pull his strings. At least robbing banks is honest.