So Saying That Folks Should Follow Christian Morals is NOW A Firing Offense

firefly

Mon 30 Dec, 2013 03:25 am
@hawkeye10,
Quote:
he is not talking about lack of need for civil rights laws, he is talking about how back before they took on the victim identity, back when they were working and not expecting to get by on handouts prompted by sympathy, blacks he knew seemed happy. I have no reason to doubt the authenticity of this observation.

Blacks "before they took on the victim identity"? You mean the good old days for whites, when blacks just shut up and accepted the indignity of not being able to drink out of water fountains labeled "Whites Only" or being relegated to the back of the bus, or sent their children to inferior segregated schools, and when they were denied rooms in hotels, couldn't live in certain neighborhoods, and faced impediments to even being able to vote?

Just because Robertson didn't hear them complain, he assumed they were happy with second class citizenry and their menial jobs picking cotton? In days when complaining in the deep South could get a black man killed?

Well, since it's your contemptuous view that blacks now don't want to work, and expect to get by on "handouts prompted by sympathy" I'm not surprised that you have no reason to question the authenticity of Robertson's observation--you're as encapsulated in your white man's world of racial privilege as he is.

And neither of you are happy that, now that they can voice their dissatisfaction with continued vestiges of racism and racial disparities, you white guys don't like it. It was better for you when they just shut up and picked that cotton.

firefly

Mon 30 Dec, 2013 03:46 am
@hawkeye10,
Quote:
my beef is with A&E, not the gadflys at GLAAD. they should keep yapping if they want to, and I encourage others to ignore them. This group no longer has a useful purpose.

Did G.L.A.A.D. ever have a useful purpose for you? Do you share their aims? Did you ever?
Quote:
"They should keep yapping if they want to, and I encourage others to ignore them"

That's how I feel about evangelical Christians, like Phil Robertson, whose "beliefs" and opinions encourage divisiveness, prejudice, and hate.
Quote:
the rest of us need to be able to live civilly and peaceably with them.

We have to be able to tolerate the Phil Robertsons, but it's difficult to live peacefully with those who have no ability to tolerate diversity, and who are given to inflammatory rhetoric denouncing everyone who doesn't share their views, or zeal for Jesus, or moral dictates.
Quote:
my problem with fundamentalist muslims is their tendency towards violence, not their spiritual beliefs...

Funny that you can't see that same tendency toward violence in fundamentalist Christians. And both the fundamentalist Muslims, as well as fundamentalist Christians, will cite their spiritual beliefs to justify their violence. There's very little difference between them.

Gee, Hawkeye, it must be so tough for you listening to the blacks, and "the fags", and all the bitches, complain, when you know that the only real victims now are straight white men who no longer know where their power or masculinity can find expression, and who can no longer call the shots without countering resistance or opposition. The poor embattled straight white man. Let me know how your "victim identity" is working out for you. Laughing

hawkeye10

Mon 30 Dec, 2013 04:12 am
@firefly,
Quote:
Just because Robertson didn't hear them complain, he assumed they were happy
if you read the quote he said that they acted happy. most of us know what a happy looking person looks like. I dont see where Phil says that they we or should have been happy with separate and unequal treatment, he does not say that being white trash made him equal to blacks, only that it put him into proximity to blacks, so he made no claims that the treatment of blacks was not a problem. this quote has be grotesquely misread, on purpose I think, by people who need to see what they want to see.
firefly

Mon 30 Dec, 2013 04:23 am
@hawkeye10,
Quote:
this quote has be grotesquely misread, on purpose I think, by people who need to see what they want to see.

And that seems to be exactly what you've done with it.

The people who picked that cotton couldn't complain--they weren't in a position to complain. And now, when they can complain, you demean them for doing that.

Hawkeye, you share this man's racial blindness and his bigotry toward both blacks and "fags". You admire him for expressing it. That's about it.
hawkeye10

Mon 30 Dec, 2013 04:26 am
@firefly,
Quote:
but it's difficult to live peacefully with those who ...
sure, because you are a bully, you need to try to make people agree with you. however if you were not like that it would be easy, as you choose what you are offended by.

Quote:
And both the fundamentalist Muslims, as well as fundamentalist Christians, will cite their spiritual beliefs to justify their violence. There's very little difference between them.
in the last 100 years christian violence has been sporadic and directed at tightly defined targets...the KKK, anti abortion zealots, anti government zealots...Muslim violence is constant and is directed at everyone who is not fundamentalist muslim . only a dishonest operator like yourself could equate the two.
hawkeye10

Mon 30 Dec, 2013 04:31 am
@firefly,
Quote:
And now, when they can complain, you demean them for doing that.

i demean blacks today because no one is holding them back, they simply tend to fail to perform. they need to shut the **** up and get to work. I am over their rote resuscitation of their victim story, there is a lot of work to be done, and I am in no mood to carry whiny useless bastards of any skin color.

and yes, I have a suspicion that Phil agrees with me, which I will not argue with.
0 Replies

Thomas

Mon 30 Dec, 2013 04:46 am
@firefly,
firefly wrote:
In August, the Robertsons signed a multi-year contract with A & E, so they committed themselves beyond the new season.

Source, please? Nothing personal; I just know from experience that "because I said so" alone is rarely a good reason to believe any given fact in an online discussion.
Thomas

Mon 30 Dec, 2013 04:56 am
@firefly,
firefly wrote:
Where in the Bible does it say this about homosexuals?
Quote:
“They’re full of murder, envy, strife, hatred. They are insolent, arrogant, God-haters. They are heartless, they are faithless, they are senseless, they are ruthless. They invent ways of doing evil"

That's the gospel according to Phil Robertson...his own version, embellished in his own way.

Although this specific quote will be hard to establish with a Bible quote, it hardly counts as an embellishment of "they shall surely be put to death". When it comes to bigotry and hatred, the Biblical original is worse than Mr. Robertson.

firefly wrote:
Do you afford Islamic fundamentalists the same pass on bigotry and hatred you seem to feel some Christian fundamentalists deserve?

Speaking strictly for myself, not for Hawkeye: Yes I would. But, let's worry about that when a family of Wahabi Islamists gets its own 'reality' show.
0 Replies

firefly

Mon 30 Dec, 2013 05:06 am
@hawkeye10,
Quote:
in the last 100 years christian violence has been sporadic and directed at tightly defined targets...the KKK, anti abortion zealots, anti government zealots

The KKK terrorism alone really wasn't sporadic, and it was active in the North as well as the South.

Ask JTT about how this "Christian country" expresses violence toward the rest of the world, particularly the places that aren't Christian.

I do seem to recall Bush, another born-again Christian, rather unfortunately referring to our invasion of Iraq as a "crusade." And, as soon as he could, after the invasion, Franklin Graham, son of Billy, who has called Islam "an evil and wicked religion", hot-footed it to Iraq to seek converts to Christianity--to "save" these people in the name of Jesus Christ. You wonder why people in that part of the world dislike us?

Stop kidding yourself. Fundamentalist Christians and Fundamentalist Muslims are equally intolerant people, and they both resort to violence in the name of their beliefs. One group is not better than the other.
firefly

Mon 30 Dec, 2013 05:13 am
@Thomas,
No problem, Thomas.
Quote:
The Robertsons' somewhat vague initial reaction to Phil's removal -- "We cannot imagine the show going forward without our patriarch at the helm" -- prompted many to suggest that the cast would not continue filming. But the Robertsons also recently re-signed to stay on board A&E's top-rated series. After settling a months-long salary standoff in August, A&E signed the entire Robertson clan to a multiyear deal worth more than $200,000 per episode.
http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/live-feed/a-e-welcomes-phil-robertson-667647
engineer

Mon 30 Dec, 2013 07:39 am
How about this story? An employee of a Dominics store that is being closed is suspended one day before he is scheduled to be laid off (risking his severance pay) because of a humorous (to me but maybe not to his employer) video criticizing them. Evil corporation silencing free speech? Does it make a difference that the complaint is not about "Christian Morals"? Does it make a difference that the speech is not coming from a multimillionaire reality TV star?
BillRM

Mon 30 Dec, 2013 07:46 am
@hawkeye10,
Quote:
he is not talking about lack of need for civil rights laws, he is talking about how back before they took on the victim identity, back when they were working and not expecting to get by on handouts prompted by sympathy, blacks he knew seemed happy. I have no reason to doubt the authenticity of this observation.

Their out of wedlock birth rate was 20 percent then not the current 80 percents and they did not have a really silly percents of all their males involved in the criminal justice system.
BillRM

Mon 30 Dec, 2013 07:52 am
@hawkeye10,
Quote:
Muslim violence is constant and is directed at everyone who is not fundamentalist muslim . only a dishonest operator like yourself could equate the two.

Do not forget if you are from the "wrong" branch of that faith you also the target of the terrorists. So even being fundamentalist muslim is hardly a guarantee of protection if you are the "wrong" type of muslim.
JTT

Mon 30 Dec, 2013 12:11 pm
@Thomas,
You let hundreds of "because I said so's" go all the time here on A2K, Thomas.

What's the big deal with this one?
0 Replies

izzythepush

Mon 30 Dec, 2013 12:15 pm
@hawkeye10,
You're full of ****, the Birmingham pub bombings were completely indiscriminate, as were the bombings in a Manchester shopping centre.
JTT

Mon 30 Dec, 2013 12:17 pm
@firefly,
You're getting way too close to honesty there, FF. A lot of folks around
these parts don't much cotton to honesty.

I fear you are in for a shitload of ignores comin' yer way.
0 Replies

JTT

Mon 30 Dec, 2013 12:22 pm
@izzythepush,
For christ's sakes, izzy, Iraq and Afghanistan were completely indiscriminate.
0 Replies

Moment-in-Time

Mon 30 Dec, 2013 12:34 pm
@hawkeye10,
Quote:
@Moment-in-Time,
Quote:
when he spoke his obscene words

Yes, his words were obscenely offensive regarding Gays and African Americans. You don't like it?....Sorry about that!

Quote:

Hawkeye10 wrote:
leave it to you to label traditional biblical morality obscenity. These fools are supposed to have the decency to remain silent, correct?

Your small-minded skewed view has misconstrued my intended message. I did NOT "labeled traditional biblical morality obscenity." On the converse, I have much deference for 'traditional bible teachings" [I often quote bible scripture] even though I'm a non-believer in gods. The Bible is a positive format on how to treat one's neighbor....how to forgive one's enemies, etc.

"Biblical morality" or Christian ethics is the branch of philosophy which examines the question of what actions are morally right and I wish more people practiced such. Robertson has yet to prove he follows the high morals laid out in the Bible. In my personal opinion, people are the ones who exploit the bible philosophy for its own use and demean it by trying to hurt others...like Robertson's highly insensitive words against Gays and the gall to say Blacks were happy! I guess, in a way, he was right! Maybe blacks were happy because they were at least getting paid a pittance compared to working as a slave, or being hung from a tree or having a cross burning on their lawns. But not to stray too far from Phil Robertson, the subject, he is the personification of his southern culture.....a culture which stems directly from the antebellum South; this man reeks of this meridional culture. Someone said he's a multimillionaire. Heck, there are many fools who are millionaires, take "honey boo boo."---The media is utilizing the Honey boo boo reality's crudeness......these type redneck shows do bring in the money. There are also many people with Master degrees, but this does not signal an "intellectual thinker." The fact is Robertson is a stark example of the south and its deeply entrenched racism; not only towards blacks but Homosexuality and same-sex marriages and other minorities, like Hispanics and Native Americans. When I heard Robertson's previously explicit tape that was shown on MSNBC I wasn't surprised at the words. Robertson is who he is. Case closed! I'm just glad he's not in my world.

[quoteMoment-in-Time wrote:
It's nearby impossible for someone as old as Robertson to be without deep racial prejudice against blacks and also not have strong visceral feelings against Gays because he comes from a world steeped in Bible lore.[/quote]

And this is axiomatic. These biases/prejudicies are ingrained in the southern culture and the Bible belt. You, Hawkeye, resemble Robertson in spirit and I am hard put to differentiate a difference between you two. You, however, obviously do not comprehend the meaning of cultural racism. White Supremacy's genetic code is more pervasive in the south than in any other national area and although institutionalize racism is alive and well all over the US, racism is not as bad outside the south...it's more nuanced and money/business takes priority. In the south, whites always looked with scorn upon the descendants of slaves; even "white trash" could hold on to their whiteness and think they were special because of their color. Why Robertson even referred to himself as "white trash" working alongside blacks whom society thought were nothing in the southern fields. Here, Robertson defines himself.......

Quote:
your prejudice against and hatred for Christians shines brightly.

My disgust is against IGNORANCE. But I sincerely doubt you will be able to distinguish the difference. People who take the bible LITERALLY and then misuse certain passages to exploit the vulnerable within our society are a menace to society. I have encountered some of the most hateful so-called Christians and even more so when these ministers become political. I have read of monstrous sex crimes against the young in all Faiths including Judaism. In fact, within the US congress, most of the corrupt politicians are the first ones to use Christianity/God in their speeches, yet when it comes to delivering for the poor or extending unemployment benefits, their actions say "screw the poor and needy."

JTT

Mon 30 Dec, 2013 12:36 pm
@Moment-in-Time,
My disgust is also against ignorance, MiT.
0 Replies

firefly

Mon 30 Dec, 2013 01:36 pm
@BillRM,
Quote:
Do not forget if you are from the "wrong" branch of that faith you also the target of the terrorists. So even being fundamentalist muslim is hardly a guarantee of protection if you are the "wrong" type of muslim

The exact same thing is true of Christians.

The KKK has been vehemently anti-Catholic and has also been anti-Mormon.

There are a whole slew of Christian terrorist organizations.