Whats the point in living?

lahore

Reply Thu 5 Dec, 2013 03:54 am
Every now and then, I get this feeling that I am living for nothing. Its not that I am having hard times, one may have dreamt to live like that. I mean I have a good job, loving parents and no tensions e.t.c But I don't see a point in waking up every morning, go to work, get back and sleep and so on...

I have already googled about it, and I have read different remedies like someone said that you should define a big professional aim, and another one said you should volunteer some time for good causes e.t.c But none of those seem to induce the passion in me that I had in my teenage when I was a student. I feel excited for 1 or 2 days then its again the same.

Has anyone else ever felt the same way??

OmSigDAVID

Reply Thu 5 Dec, 2013 04:57 am
@lahore,
Quote:
It 's FUN!
Especially when u r retired

David
trying2learn

Reply Thu 5 Dec, 2013 05:21 am
@lahore,
lahore wrote:
Has anyone else ever felt the same way??
Yes I have felt the same way.
lahore

Reply Thu 5 Dec, 2013 06:25 am
@trying2learn,
How did you manage to get out of that feeling?
trying2learn

Reply Thu 5 Dec, 2013 02:08 pm
@lahore,
I haven't, it is day by day. I just try to think tomorrow is another day.
0 Replies

dalehileman

Reply Thu 5 Dec, 2013 02:42 pm
@lahore,
Also Lah hang in there, hear Dave, he's right on, retirement is wonderful, life's ultimate purpose

Yet I occasionally ingest nostrums, eg, together 5-HTP, kava kava, St John's wort, ginseng

Boost serotonin

https://www.google.ca/#q=boost+serotonin+supplements
0 Replies

Deaths Bane

Reply Sat 7 Dec, 2013 08:24 am
@lahore,
the point of life is to love.
0 Replies

dalehileman

Reply Sat 7 Dec, 2013 01:35 pm
@lahore,
…a subject however deserving of wider attention

http://able2know.org/topic/228507-1
0 Replies

Romeo Fabulini

Reply Mon 9 Dec, 2013 07:39 am
Quote:
Lahore asked: Whats the point in living?

We've all wondered that at some time in our lives especially if we're depressed, so the first port of call is the doctor to see if anti-depressants help.
But a major weapon is to get into the right frame of mind.
For example when Bear Grylls and his mates were having a hard time on an assault course he kept telling them "Don't think, just DO it!", in other words put your mind into neutral gear..Wink
Another example is when Jesus said "Learn from the birds, they just go about their daily lives without worrying"
In fact a central theme of Christianity is that this world is not important, so just be kool and ride it out without taking it seriously..Smile
Another little trick you can use is to focus on the next good thing that's going to come along in our lives, for example it's afternoon here and i'm beginning to look forward to cooking myself a plate of egg, burgers and chips for dinner!

Also, we should get rid of the notion that life should be full of happiness! Fact is, NOBODY can ever be fully happy on this earth because there are a zillion things that keep cropping up to make us unhappy.
Once we accept that we're going to get our share of unhappiness, we can steel ourselves to take it on the chin. That's another thing about christianity, Christians know how to roll with the punches life throws at them..Smile
"All creation groans in pain from the beginning til now" (Romans 8:26)
"God didn't spare his own son" (Romans 8:32)

Waddya say Bob?

"Take the pain! TAKE THE PAIN!"
http://i53.photobucket.com/albums/g64/PoorOldSpike/Barnes.jpg

0 Replies

BrianaMonique

Reply Mon 9 Dec, 2013 08:19 pm
@lahore,
yeah i have
0 Replies

hawkeye10

Reply Mon 9 Dec, 2013 08:51 pm
Quote:

bliss, very often sex.
firefly

Reply Tue 10 Dec, 2013 06:54 pm
@lahore,
Quote:
Every now and then, I get this feeling that I am living for nothing. Its not that I am having hard times, one may have dreamt to live like that. I mean I have a good job, loving parents and no tensions e.t.c But I don't see a point in waking up every morning, go to work, get back and sleep and so on...

I have already googled about it, and I have read different remedies like someone said that you should define a big professional aim, and another one said you should volunteer some time for good causes e.t.c But none of those seem to induce the passion in me that I had in my teenage when I was a student. I feel excited for 1 or 2 days then its again the same.

What makes you think there should be a point, or a purpose, to living?

It's simply an experience.

If your life seems a little too monotonous, try altering your routines, try new things, try to meet new people--anything that will add some novelty or a new source of stimulation.

It's easy to feel passion as a teenager--it's a time of life that's often hyper-emotional, and we do calm down somewhat as we get older. But we don't lose the capacity for intense feelings, so search out more things to enjoy, or "a cause" to support and one you can get involved in, if that's the sort of thing you're thinking of--and give it more than a day or two. It's the feeling that you're contributing to something that matters to you, the feeling that you're helping to make a difference, that will help to arrouse that sort of passion, but you first have to identify what really matters, not all "good causes" will excite you equally. Or try to learn something new, something you always thought about doing, but never got around to doing--like learning how to play a musical instrument, or learning a language, or how to cook, or play a particular sport, or how to fly a plane, or collect something--if you find the right thing for you, learning can become a passion.

It's easy to settle into monotonous and predictable routines, so diversify yours more, add more to your life, The point of waking up each morning is simply to have a new day to experience--it's up to you to decide what you want to do with that day, and what you want to put into it, beside just go to work and come back home. It's worth taking the time to find those things which will add more excitement and interest to your life.
Germlat

Reply Tue 10 Dec, 2013 07:06 pm
@firefly,
It's easy as a teenager because everything is new. Every thought and sensation. The world is open and your not aware of your own limitations. What a great world ignorance is bliss..if your middle aged your views change..not only that but the world itself views you differently. I say..accept your limitations and be VERY grateful for your blessings.. Great things slip away...savor them.
chai2

Reply Tue 10 Dec, 2013 08:11 pm
@Germlat,
That's funny, I many times get the impression that teens are enormously more bored than middle or older age people.

In the latter, the richness and complexity of the weave is (I think) much more appreciated.
Germlat

Reply Tue 10 Dec, 2013 08:18 pm
@chai2,
I agree there is more richness to our views and experiences as middle aged. But that complexity also adds to our sadness and disappointments. Maybe it's a matter of a glass half full or half empty.
chai2

Reply Tue 10 Dec, 2013 09:13 pm
@Germlat,
It's a matter of learning what to do with our sadness and disappointments. You can wallow in it, or realize the strength you've gained from getting through it.

Complexity doesn't lead to sadness and disappointments, choosing to live a life of regrets does.
Germlat

Reply Tue 10 Dec, 2013 09:29 pm
@chai2,
You are so right. None of us live without experiencing loss or sadness if we live long enough. But it is part of the human experience to have regret etc...but in the end there must be resolution or despair.
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Thu 12 Dec, 2013 12:20 am
@lahore,
Who hasn't felt this?

There are two avenues you should explore:

Your depression may be a result of a brain chemical imbalance and there are drugs that can do wonders to correct this. Go see your doctor and be honest with him/her about how you feel.

Rearrange your priorities. You don't have to make a big splash on society. Chances are that if you finish your schooling obtain a good paying job, and then find someone with which to share your life, and have children, you will very clearly make a difference.

My bet, however, is that you should consult a doctor. It can get a whole lot better than it is now.
dalehileman

Reply Thu 12 Dec, 2013 12:25 pm
@Finn dAbuzz,
Well put Fin

However the doctor visit might introduce you to a med whose side effects only exacerbate your condition
Germlat

Reply Thu 12 Dec, 2013 12:56 pm
@dalehileman,
Unless you truly have a brain imbalance..then going to see a doctor concerning your inability to cope is fruitless ...but it could also turn you I. What you are not. Pain can be very revealing ..and can actually promote growth.