It's official. The Tea Party hates their own country.

Reply Tue 1 Oct, 2013 06:50 am
They have gone and done it. They have shoved us all down the path of economic ruin for their own political goals.

It is hard to imagine that people who call themselves "Patriots" would have such disregard for the well-being of their own country. And, it is hard to imagine that people who claim to love the Constitution would have such disregard for the constitutional process of legislation.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 19 • Views: 7,390 • Replies: 105

parados

Reply Tue 1 Oct, 2013 07:29 am
@maxdancona,
I don't know that we are on the path to economic ruin but it certainly isn't a good plan to keep the economy growing.
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Tue 1 Oct, 2013 08:42 am
@maxdancona,
Like Parados said, I am not sure we are on the road to economic ruin...

...but the Tea Party adherents certainly are trying to steer us in that direction.

They are a waste of good oxygen.
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Tue 1 Oct, 2013 08:46 am
Oh please. Does A2K really need another one of these threads?
Frank Apisa

Reply Tue 1 Oct, 2013 09:22 am
@McGentrix,
McGentrix wrote:

Yup. The whole country NEEDS it.
0 Replies

maxdancona

Reply Tue 1 Oct, 2013 10:21 am
@McGentrix,
McGentrix,

Are you paying attention to what these Tea Party idiots are doing to the country?

I, like many Americans, am shocked and pissed.

0 Replies

Miller

Reply Tue 1 Oct, 2013 10:44 am
@McGentrix,
McGentrix wrote:

Perhaps they're tired of talking about Zimmerman.
0 Replies

Baldimo

Reply Tue 1 Oct, 2013 11:18 am
@maxdancona,
History lesson for ya. The govt has been shutdown 18 times since 1976. The nation is none the worse for wear.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Government_shutdown

Keep clucking Chicken Little!
glitterbag

Reply Tue 1 Oct, 2013 11:36 am
@Baldimo,
Yeah, kinda like your malignant tumor doesn't look all that bad. Personally, I'm sick of these power happy morons failing to do their jobs
Below viewing threshold (view)
RVblast

Reply Tue 1 Oct, 2013 12:02 pm
The Gov. Shutdown is Bull ****. The way I see it is both parties are at blame since they couldn't balance the budget they should all be fired and be replaced with politicians who can.
I'm tired of the Gov and Big Business not having any repercussions if they fail because they all get Bailed out by the tax payers.
I wish I could get bailed out if I over spend and dont balance my checkbook and run my business to the ground. all I can say it must be Nice! Maybe I should just shut down and someone can give me a Black Card I never have to payoff.
maxdancona

Reply Tue 1 Oct, 2013 12:14 pm
@RVblast,
How are both parties to blame?!?!?

This has nothing to do with balancing the budget. This is about a radical minority of one party in one branch of Congress trying to force the rest of American to gut the health care bill they don't like.

There is a normal legislative process that is designed to have this fight. They are unable to get political support for the normal process, so now they are resorting to this extortion attempt.

There is only one side to blame for this.
glitterbag

Reply Tue 1 Oct, 2013 12:22 pm
@maxdancona,
And this is being done by elected officials who have sworn to uphold the laws of the United States.
Frank Apisa

Reply Tue 1 Oct, 2013 12:27 pm
@maxdancona,
maxdancona wrote:

How are both parties to blame?!?!?

This has nothing to do with balancing the budget. This is about a radical minority of one party in one branch of Congress trying to force the rest of American to gut the health care bill they don't like.

There is a normal legislative process that is designed to have this fight. They are unable to get political support for the normal process, so now they are resorting to this extortion attempt.

There is only one side to blame for this.

The certainly are not equally to blame. The GOP has been hijacked by crazy people...and the GOP is primarily at fault...and will bear the brunt of the fallout for whatever bad happens as a result of this shut-down.

The more dangerous problem is the debt ceiling...and the hijacked-by-crazy-people GOP is primarily at fault on that issue also. We can only hope the non-crazies will abandon solidarity with the crazies...and do what must be done here.
0 Replies

Baldimo

Reply Tue 1 Oct, 2013 12:55 pm
@glitterbag,
This is what happens when one group says "My way or the highway." And yes both parties are at fault.
glitterbag

Reply Tue 1 Oct, 2013 12:58 pm
@Baldimo,
We will have to disagree.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Tue 1 Oct, 2013 01:26 pm
In most European papers and media this is the main topic - "Kamikaze Party in the most advanced democracy" and similar.

In most European countries but not in France.
America has a presidential system, not a parliamentary. And France, too.

The situation in Germany is regulated in our constitution
Quote:
Article 111
[Interim budget management]

(1) If, by the end of a fiscal year, the budget for the following year has not been adopted by a law, the Federal Government, until such law comes into force, may make all expenditures that are necessary:

a) to maintain institutions established by a law and to carry out measures authorised by a law;

b) to meet the legal obligations of the Federation;

c) to continue construction projects, procurements, and the provision of other benefits or services, or to continue to make grants for these purposes, to the extent that amounts have already been appropriated in the budget of a previous year.

(2) To the extent that revenues based upon specific laws and derived from taxes, or duties, or other sources, or the working capital reserves, do not cover the expenditures referred to in paragraph (1) of this Article, the Federal Government may borrow the funds necessary to sustain current operations up to a maximum of one quarter of the total amount of the previous budget.

A quote from a comment in the Independent
Quote:
[...]Both sides are to blame. But the root of the problem, beyond argument, is a Republican party that is losing touch with reality. Even its control of the House of Representatives is a distortion. In the Congressional vote in 2012, Democratic candidates polled half a million more votes. But thanks to gerrymandering by Republican-run state legislatures, the GOP ensured itself a majority.

Gerrymandering, in turn, has led to safer seats, in which the danger to an incumbent is – increasingly – less the general election in which he faces a Democrat, than a possible challenge from a more conservative fellow Republican in the primary. That in turn has pushed the Congressional party further to the right, allowing the minority Tea Party faction to make the running. More centrist, pragmatic members fear to make deals with Democrats that will be held against them by the hardline activists who dominate primary voting.[...]
glitterbag

Reply Tue 1 Oct, 2013 01:29 pm
@Walter Hinteler,
It's a sad state of affairs.
Walter Hinteler

Reply Tue 1 Oct, 2013 02:06 pm
@glitterbag,
Even the US World War II cemeteries in France are closed. Which is a surprise not only for the French.

Quote:
http://i1334.photobucket.com/albums/w641/Walter_Hinteler/a_zps641f255a.jpg

http://www.ouest-france.fr/
glitterbag

Reply Tue 1 Oct, 2013 02:12 pm
@Walter Hinteler,
Oh my God, well so much for respecting the troops. Fellow citizens, is this how we honor the fallen?