Hubby pouts when I say "no" to sex

Romeo Fabulini

Wed 25 Sep, 2013 05:41 am
Anyway, sex is not all that important; for example monks and nuns don't do it..Smile
blueveinedthrobber

Wed 25 Sep, 2013 06:25 am
or so they say....
0 Replies

blueveinedthrobber

Wed 25 Sep, 2013 06:26 am
How sad to be so tired and worn out at 52
BillRM

Wed 25 Sep, 2013 06:43 am
@Romeo Fabulini,
Quote:
Anyway, sex is not all that important; for example monks and nuns don't do it..Smile

What to bet that they do not???????
0 Replies

JeanAwesome156

Wed 25 Sep, 2013 10:07 am
@hawkeye10,
It's not just my age, it's the fact that I had a full hysterectomy and was thrown into menopause. I'm also, on about a dozen other meds for major depression and panic disorder so they could be partially to blame also.
JeanAwesome156

Wed 25 Sep, 2013 10:12 am
@firefly,
Thank-you for your in-put. Plus, the article you inserted has a lot of good points!
0 Replies

JeanAwesome156

Wed 25 Sep, 2013 10:15 am
@hawkeye10,
Maybe these older women get better results from their hormone replacement therapy than I do. Or, maybe they are just acting out in order to please and impress you?
Jeannie
0 Replies

JeanAwesome156

Wed 25 Sep, 2013 10:18 am
@firefly,
I don't feel like he is trying to be helpful. His responses have more of a boasting feel to them.
Jeannie
0 Replies

JeanAwesome156

Wed 25 Sep, 2013 10:20 am
@Romeo Fabulini,
I think sex in a marriage is very important though. I know it is, I just have a problem enjoying it.
Jeannie
BillRM

Wed 25 Sep, 2013 10:39 am
@JeanAwesome156,
Have you seen a doctor about you inability to enjoy sex with your husband as I know for a fact that age is not normally the issue as both myself and my wife are a lot older then you or your husband.
0 Replies

JeanAwesome156

Wed 25 Sep, 2013 01:33 pm
@blueveinedthrobber,
I want it known that I'm far from worn out and tired. It's just the sex that I don't enjoy. Although I'm on disability for my major depression and panic disorder, I'm effectively medicated for them. I attend Ashford University online full-time where I'm currently on the Deans list, I'm an Ordained Minister, I clean my elderly parents house once a week, as well as mow the lawn and move the snow. On top of this I keep our apartment spotless. I'm a strong, happy mother of four grown children and three grandchildren from my side, plus I adore my husbands three grown children and two wonderful grandchildren. We are a very close blended family who all love and respect each other equally. We lead a good, honest, and rewarding life with many friends. We are good people. We just happen to have this one important problem that I have brought here for help.
Thank-you,
Jeannie
JeanAwesome156

Wed 25 Sep, 2013 01:38 pm
@ehBeth,
Sorry so late answering you! The answer is very, very, rarely.
0 Replies

JeanAwesome156

Wed 25 Sep, 2013 01:42 pm
@ehBeth,
Okay, I don't know what "IMNSHO" means. But otherwise your right. But, I do initiate sex once in awhile to make sure he knows I do love him. And, he has no idea how much I dislike sex.
Jeannie
JeanAwesome156

Wed 25 Sep, 2013 01:53 pm
@ehBeth,
Do you really think there lots of resources for me? I've talked to my Dr. about it many times and all he does is change my hormone replacement therapy, which still never works. Plus, this Dr. has no idea that I've had a stroke either! If he did he wouldn't give me the medicine because it raises the risk for strokes. I sought him out specifically because he only knows as much about my health history as I've told him. And that's not much! So, I'm basically playing russian roulette with my health in order to gain meds to help me please my husband. He's not in the best of health for sex either as he's had congestive heart failure 5 years ago, and currently has chest pains several times a week (and always after sex) but he refuses to see a Dr. for it. Oh, what a mess! Can we be helped? Really?
Thanks,
Jeannie
vonny

Wed 25 Sep, 2013 01:56 pm
@JeanAwesome156,
Perhaps your husband would be relieved
0 Replies

JeanAwesome156

Wed 25 Sep, 2013 01:56 pm
@ossobuco,
Thank-you for your in-put. I look forward to seeing more from you!
Thanks,
Jeannie
0 Replies

vonny

Wed 25 Sep, 2013 01:59 pm
@JeanAwesome156,
Sorry, posted too early! I meant to say that you ought to talk to your husband and explain some of your problems. It is quite possible that he feels the same - you say he has serious health issues, perhaps he'd be grateful to have an excuse not to have sex so often? He may be exerting himself to please you - it sounds as if you both love each other, but are failing to communicate.
0 Replies

JeanAwesome156

Wed 25 Sep, 2013 02:12 pm
@firefly,
OMG! You have really put out there some great ideas! He jokes with me about getting me a vibrator, but I blush at the thought of it. But, if there's a way to stop the oral sex all together I'm all for it!! And, we don't know the cause of his impotence because he refuses to speak with his doctor about it. He is diabetic and takes insulin, plus a couple heart meds because he's had congestive heart failure 5 years ago. He has chest pains everytime he climaxes but refuses to tell the doctor that he's having chest pains at all! I worry that he may not be healthy enough for the sex that he so desperately wants.
Thank-you,
Jeannie
ossobuco

Wed 25 Sep, 2013 02:15 pm
Jean, now that I've read a little more and gotten more information, I understand better.

One thing you might look into with your doctor, this one or another one - is the matter of what hormone replacement you are taking exactly. I get that you have tried more than one.

Some long time ago, I had a small uterine fibroid that was a massive bleeder. By the time I got serious about complaining about my lengthy and voluminous periods, I had virtually no iron stores left. My gynecologist had me take the drug Lipron before the surgery to take out the fibroid - Lipron aces out your estrogen; if I remember it does it completely. So then I had the surgery (no big deal, a laser thing) and went back to my normal late '40s life, taking iron pills to restore my iron and get rid of anemia symptoms.

I went back on my usual birth control pills, though at that point my getting pregnant was not very likely. I felt, though, weirdly asexual. Stunningly weirdly asexual. So I told the doctor, and he put me on a birth control pill that contained a smidge of testosterone. That worked, my libido came back. Not long after, we took me off them and back to the original b/c pill, and the libido stayed with me.

Edit - I might have spelled that drug wrong, it might be Lupron. Anyway, that was back around 1990, so that may not be the drug used now for shutting down estrogen. The birth control pill that I took that had some testosterone in it was called Estrotest. That too may be passe by now. I have no idea if any hormone replacement pills contain even a smidge of testosterone.
I forget the timing but not too long after, it was clear I was in menopause and then put on replacement hormones.

So - long story from me just to ask if any of your pills have had a testosterone component. A lot of people don't know that women have some testosterone and men have and need some estrogen.
That lipron drug I took, pre-op, probably sent a sucker punch to my normal testosterone levels - that we had to kick start again later.
firefly

Wed 25 Sep, 2013 02:33 pm
@JeanAwesome156,
Quote:
It's not just my age, it's the fact that I had a full hysterectomy and was thrown into menopause. I'm also, on about a dozen other meds for major depression and panic disorder so they could be partially to blame also.

You certainly have had your share of significant heath problems which might also impact your sexual functioning. And medications, such as the ones you are taking, can certainly contribute to a loss of libido.
Quote:
The Challenge of Antidepressant Medication and Intimacy

Sex -- and satisfaction with your sex life -- is an important part of the lives of most adults. But having a satisfying sex life may be a challenge for those who take antidepressants.

While sexual dysfunction is a frequent symptom of depression itself (and successful treatment of depression may eliminate it), antidepressant medication can sometimes worsen or even cause sexual problems. In fact, sexual dysfunction is a potential side effect of all classes of antidepressants.

Between 30% and 70% of people who take antidepressant medications experience sexual problems, which can begin within the first week to several months after starting treatment. Antidepressant-related sexual dysfunction can affect almost any aspect of your sex life. In men, it frequently causes erectile dysfunction (the inability to achieve or sustain an erection), and in women, antidepressants may cause vaginal dryness and decreased sensation in the genitals. In both genders, antidepressants can diminish sex drive and make achieving orgasm difficult or impossible.

Sexual dysfunction due to any cause, including antidepressants, can have effects that range far beyond the bedroom, including psychological distress and a decrease in self-esteem and overall quality of life. This causes many people to stop taking their antidepressant medication. Up to 90% of people who experience antidepressant-related sexual dysfunction stop taking their medication prematurely. Fortunately, you can regain your sex life without stopping your medication and risking your symptoms worsening. For example:
• Choose a medication with a low rate of sexual side effects – Wellbutrin, Remeron, or Cymbalta.
• Change the time of day you take the medication.
• Reduce the dosage.
• Take a short break or “drug holiday.”
•Add another medication to combat sexual dysfunction.
• Follow a healthy lifestyle.
http://www.johnshopkinshealthalerts.com/alerts/depression_anxiety/JohnsHopkinsDepressionAnxietyHealthAlert_3390-1.html?ET=johnshopkins_blog:e36823:166218a:&st=email&st=email&s=EDH_100317_005

I can't imagine why anyone would be on "about a dozen" meds to treat major depression and panic disorder, and that does seem rather excessive. Have these all been prescribed by a board certified psychiatrist who knows you well? If you are now functioning without symptoms of clinical depression and anxiety perhaps this list of meds needs to be reconsidered. For your general well-being, I think you might need to review your meds with a qualified psychiatrist to see whether all of those drugs are still really necessary for adequate mood stabilization, and whether some could be eliminated or the dosage reduced, or an alternative type of treatment might be beneficial. Sometimes medications get automatically renewed rather than more fully reviewed.

I'm not sure whether you are particularly distressed about the loss of libido and lack of sexual pleasure you are experiencing. If you are, you should speak with a doctor about it, and you should try exploring methods of self-stimulation, to see if there is anything that you can do to enhance your sexual arousal and provide you with more pleasurable sensations. This may be easier to do without the distraction and demands of your partner because you can just focus on your body and how it reacts. Then you can guide your partner in more effective ways of stimulating you.

If you're not overly distressed about your diminished sexual functioning, and are willing to accept or live with it, and your husband can accept it as well, that's fine, it's a decision you are both entitled to make. Unfortunately, that's not exactly the decision you seem to have made. By agreeing to exclusively engage in sexual behaviors you neither enjoy receiving nor giving, you are really leaving your husband out of a decision process he really is entitled to be a part of. You are using deception, and concealing your dislike of your sexual practices, ostensibly to show your love for your husband, but you're actually doing it to get this marital "chore" over and done with as quickly as possible. Is that kind of basic dishonesty really going to help your marriage over the long haul?

Your husband's "pouting" when you deny him sexual contact is something you are actually facilitating by not being more honest with him--he thinks you find your sexual contacts with him pleasurable, so, when you deny him contact, he sees you as withholding and he reacts with disappointment and mild anger, which is what pouting is all about. What your husband apparently doesn't know is that, even when you are "willing", you are engaging in a distasteful "chore"--and that's why his pouting rankles you even more, because, from your perspective, it's sort of like he's rubbing salt into a wound. You're already doing something for him that you really don't want to do, and now he's acting resentful because you're not doing it more often, and that's what's getting to you about his pouting.

I think you have to be more honest with your husband about your dislike of sex. You have to give him the opportunity to be a part of finding a better solution to this problem--he's your life partner, and he should be a partner in this situation, but you're excluding him from being able to do that.

Given your current lack of sexual desire and interest, your sexual contacts with your husband should focus on your giving him sexual pleasure and satisfaction, but only in ways that are truly agreeable to you. If stimulating him manually is less distasteful to you than oral sex, then you've got to try that. And if you really don't want him to try to stimulate, or arouse, or satisfy you, you've got to make that clear. Let everything exclusively focus on his arousal and satisfaction. But you really have to allow your husband to be your partner in seeking a solution that will be more mutually satisfactory for both of you, and that can't happen if you continue to keep him in the dark about how you really feel, or if you continue to engage in sexual behaviors you are bound to feel resentful about.

Show your husband you love him in other ways, with affectionate physical contact like hugs and kisses throughout the day, or by holding hands with him when you're out walking, or by surprising him with small gestures or things you know he likes--but don't do it by being deceptive about your sexual feelings. You're not protecting his feelings by doing that, you're just shutting him out of yours.

I think your husband's "pouting" is the least of your problems. You really need to work together to find a more satisfactory solution to his sexual needs, so that your sexual interactions are less of a burden and a chore in your life, and more of a time when you can wholeheartedly give and share with other.

0 Replies