The best musical of all time?

Lightwizard

Reply Wed 27 Nov, 2002 12:35 pm
"The Wiz" was a staged musical before it was a film. I have to rack my brain to think of many original music for movie musicals. Some of the Astaire/Rodgers were original scores, but I'd have to research which ones. I know the Gershwin "Shall We Dance" was original which would place it high on the list -- "They Can't Take That Away From Me" won the Oscar.
0 Replies

Booman

Reply Wed 27 Nov, 2002 02:58 pm
The way you start these Threads.....da-de-da-dah
The way you get in my head.............da-de-da-dah
Take it away somebody Very Happy
0 Replies

Raggedyaggie

Reply Wed 27 Nov, 2002 03:53 pm
Lightwizard: I think Gigi and High Society have already been mentioned as having music written specifically for the movie, haven't they? Only one of Porter's songs for High Society was an oldie and that was "Well Did You Evah, What a Swell Party This Is".

What about State Fair (1945). I think it was the first and maybe only time Rogers and Hammerstein wrote a music score for a movie. And there was a remake in 1962. That's the only one I can think of.

Booman:
The way you wear your hat
The way you sing off key
The way you left out a dah and de
They can't take that away from me.
No, they can't da de da de dah de. Laughing
0 Replies

Booman

Reply Wed 27 Nov, 2002 04:13 pm
Move over Rodges and Hart!......Booman and Raggedyaggie are taking over. Very Happy
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Wed 27 Nov, 2002 06:08 pm
"State Fair" A good but uneven score.
"High Society" Some good songs torpedoed by a very bad Cole Porter song: "True Love" Gag.
0 Replies

hebba

Reply Thu 28 Nov, 2002 03:56 am
I agree with True Love sucking.
0 Replies

hebba

Reply Thu 28 Nov, 2002 03:58 am
Booman,you´re right about "scores" but LW started me off on it.
So you think we should start a SCORES THAT SWING thread?
Get away from all of this "Seven Brides For Seven Brothers" and "Mary Poppins" nonsense?
0 Replies

Raggedyaggie

Reply Thu 28 Nov, 2002 09:52 am
Aaah guys. True Love with Bing Crosby and Grace Kelly (sigh). Have you no romance in your souls? OK, I admit my guy and I were "lovesick" at the time that movie debuted and it was "our" song. And no comments about lovesick, please. (For you and I have a guardian angel on high with nothing to do, but to give to you and to give to me love forever more .(sigh)

Ladies, let's hear it for True Love.

And a Happy Thanksgiving to all. Smile
0 Replies

hebba

Reply Thu 28 Nov, 2002 10:07 am
Lovesick?
Seasick more like.
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Thu 28 Nov, 2002 10:47 am
Well, Raggedy, I can see the sentiment in appreciating the song but you're now challenged to put it on the stereo and listen to it over and over today.
Let me know if you make it.
0 Replies

hebba

Reply Thu 28 Nov, 2002 11:11 am
Hearing it twice in a row is 1½ times too many.
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Thu 28 Nov, 2002 11:30 am
Not that all the original muscials except "Shall We Dance" have superior songs. There's not one classic standard in "High Society" -- when was the last time you heard a pop singer do a new version of any of them? For some reason, the studio bosses' standards seem to be for disposable scores for these films -- no autuer to really put the film together with great original music. "State Fair" has a couple of standards in it but you have to search for any new versions and "Gigi," well you have to watch the film to hear the music (or have the soundtrack on CD).

As I see more previews of "Chicago," it looks like as far as adaptations go, this has huge potential. Hope I'm not dissapointed but I'm really only expecting a good film -- we'll see if it can rise to the level (or close) to "West Side Story, "Cabaret," and "The King and I."
0 Replies

Raggedyaggie

Reply Thu 28 Nov, 2002 12:25 pm
Lightwizard: I didn't list Gigi, State Fair and High Society because I think they are great musicals . I listed them because you were trying to think of movies with original musical scores, and they were the ones that came immediately to mind.

Now back to True Love. I have it on a CD performed by Kiki Dee and Elton John and I don't care for it. But, I've ordered a CD with Bing Crosby and Grace Kelly performing it, however, I can assure you that I couldn't listen to it all day. I couldn't listen to any one song all day. Laughing

And, ladies, or some romantic gentlemen, please put in a good word for True Love. It's two against one here. :wink: I can't be the only one that likes that song.
0 Replies

Booman

Reply Thu 28 Nov, 2002 12:33 pm
That's what I'm talking about Hebba. You need more egging on? GO-GO-GO-GO-GO-GO-GO-GO-GO.............................
0 Replies

Piffka

Reply Thu 28 Nov, 2002 12:40 pm
Did anybody mention Ain't Misbehavin'?

I can't keep up with 12 pages right now, but I remember I liked Craven's list... My Fair Lady, Sound of Music, Hair,...
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Thu 28 Nov, 2002 01:21 pm
"Gigi" is great because of the entire package -- the Lerner and Loewe score fits the plot so tightly but I'd have to go look at the soundtrack recording to remember any other melodies and at least some of the lyrics other than "The Night They Invented Champagne" and "Thank Heavens for Little Girls." However, can't resist that cast, the cinematography of Paris and the terse dialogue. As far as the use of Technicolor, it is one of the best. "State Fair" was finally done as a stage version but don't have the year and only remember it having moderate success.
0 Replies

williamhenry3

Reply Thu 28 Nov, 2002 01:58 pm
Best stage musical: Sunday in the Park with George.

Best film musical: Oliver!
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Thu 28 Nov, 2002 02:07 pm
Like those very much, WH. "Company" is my favorite stage musical.
0 Replies

Booman

Reply Thu 28 Nov, 2002 02:40 pm
Since you ventured to the stage , I really enjoyed "Jelly's Last Jam". Gregory Hines and Savion had a nice "showdown".
Meanwhile, back to the screen.... I'd like to mention "All that Jazz". that was a musical with a serious book, to go along with fine singing and dancing.
0 Replies

flyboy804

Reply Thu 28 Nov, 2002 05:16 pm
Whenever I think of the film musical "State Fair" I think of another original film musical, "Centennial Summer". They each starred Jeanne Crain and came out at about the same time. "Centennial Summer" had music by Jerome Kern rather than R.&H.
0 Replies