5

The best musical of all time?

blueprince

1  
Reply Thu 20 Aug, 2009 02:22 pm
@joefromchicago,
You're the twelfth person that's told me that...
Ironically, I only like two songs in carousel (You'll never walk again, um, alone, and what's the use of wond'rin). Just goes to show you how much variation there can be in one show.
I do quite like If I Loved You, but personally I don't think it's that good in the context of the show (it always remains me of 'don't like you' from the boys in the photograph. A few songs later and they're married. A bit superfluos really). However, I have only seen two productions of Carousel, so it might be the actor and actress involved and not the song.

1  
Reply Thu 20 Aug, 2009 05:19 pm
I finally got the chance to see Camelot and State Fair a while back. I was unimpressed with both films.
Lightwizard

1  
Reply Thu 20 Aug, 2009 05:48 pm
@edgarblythe,
"Camelot" was filmed on the old "Kung Fu" TV series set with David Carradine, just redressed to look like more like a castle. You know when they "borrow" a set, there isn't much effort put into making the film extraordinary, and no Julie Andrews or Richard Burton. It was way too long, also. Then the set was used again in the terrible "Lost Horizons" musical version. "State Fair" isn't one of Rodgers and Hart's best musicals but there's a couple of good songs in it that became standards. It likely looked better on the big screen because the prints I have seen are terrible with muted, almost distorted, sound. No excurse, really, as in the theaters it was CinemaScope and 4 channel stereo sound.

2  
Reply Tue 2 May, 2017 11:24 am

BarbroIsaksson

-1  
Reply Wed 3 May, 2017 12:25 pm
@jespah,
those old boyband songs. (Y) at 90's

2  
Reply Wed 3 May, 2017 01:05 pm
@BarbroIsaksson,
BarbroIsaksson wrote:

those old boyband songs. (Y) at 90's

For someone who claims to be a manager living in London, England, UK?

Your reading comprehension really stinks.

1  
Reply Wed 3 May, 2017 01:28 pm
I'm not too keen on musicals as a genre and my choice probably reflects that.

1  
Reply Tue 16 Jan, 2018 08:00 pm

Roberta

2  
Reply Wed 17 Jan, 2018 12:26 am
I just skimmed through this thread and am stunned speechless (almost) that the Wizard of Oz wasn't mentioned. It's one of my favorite movie musicals.

When I saw the thread title, I thought it was referring to shows, not movies. Although I'm not a big fan of musicals, I've seen more than my fair share. The one that had the greatest impact on me was Les Miserables. The one that makes me smile when I think about it is Fiddler on the Roof. The first one I saw was Bells Are Ringing with Judy Holliday.

1  
Reply Wed 17 Jan, 2018 02:15 pm
I've been listening to Mario Lanza. The Student Prince is pretty fabulous.