The best musical of all time?

blueprince

Reply Thu 20 Aug, 2009 02:22 pm
@joefromchicago,
You're the twelfth person that's told me that...
Ironically, I only like two songs in carousel (You'll never walk again, um, alone, and what's the use of wond'rin). Just goes to show you how much variation there can be in one show.
I do quite like If I Loved You, but personally I don't think it's that good in the context of the show (it always remains me of 'don't like you' from the boys in the photograph. A few songs later and they're married. A bit superfluos really). However, I have only seen two productions of Carousel, so it might be the actor and actress involved and not the song.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Thu 20 Aug, 2009 05:19 pm
I finally got the chance to see Camelot and State Fair a while back. I was unimpressed with both films.
Lightwizard

Reply Thu 20 Aug, 2009 05:48 pm
@edgarblythe,
"Camelot" was filmed on the old "Kung Fu" TV series set with David Carradine, just redressed to look like more like a castle. You know when they "borrow" a set, there isn't much effort put into making the film extraordinary, and no Julie Andrews or Richard Burton. It was way too long, also. Then the set was used again in the terrible "Lost Horizons" musical version. "State Fair" isn't one of Rodgers and Hart's best musicals but there's a couple of good songs in it that became standards. It likely looked better on the big screen because the prints I have seen are terrible with muted, almost distorted, sound. No excurse, really, as in the theaters it was CinemaScope and 4 channel stereo sound.
0 Replies

tsarstepan

Reply Tue 2 May, 2017 11:24 am
0 Replies

BarbroIsaksson

Reply Wed 3 May, 2017 12:25 pm
@jespah,
those old boyband songs. (Y) at 90's
tsarstepan

Reply Wed 3 May, 2017 01:05 pm
@BarbroIsaksson,
BarbroIsaksson wrote:

those old boyband songs. (Y) at 90's

For someone who claims to be a manager living in London, England, UK?

Your reading comprehension really stinks.
0 Replies

izzythepush

Reply Wed 3 May, 2017 01:28 pm
I'm not too keen on musicals as a genre and my choice probably reflects that.

tsarstepan

Reply Tue 16 Jan, 2018 08:00 pm
@izzythepush,
0 Replies

Roberta

Reply Wed 17 Jan, 2018 12:26 am
I just skimmed through this thread and am stunned speechless (almost) that the Wizard of Oz wasn't mentioned. It's one of my favorite movie musicals.

When I saw the thread title, I thought it was referring to shows, not movies. Although I'm not a big fan of musicals, I've seen more than my fair share. The one that had the greatest impact on me was Les Miserables. The one that makes me smile when I think about it is Fiddler on the Roof. The first one I saw was Bells Are Ringing with Judy Holliday.

0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Wed 17 Jan, 2018 02:15 pm
I've been listening to Mario Lanza. The Student Prince is pretty fabulous.
tsarstepan

Reply Wed 7 Aug, 2019 07:51 am
@edgarblythe,
I wrote another musical related poll that got published at IMDb (shocking... I know!).
I Want ... Disney Songs!
Quote:
One of the best tools creators of musicals use to get the audience to sympathize and/or relate to their subject's main characters is the "I want" song.*
Which of the following "I want" songs** from Disney gives you some or all of the best feels?

Trill, warble, croon, or belt out loud your feelings about this musical poll with us, theater nerds, over here.

*"The 'I Want' song is a popular type of song featured in musical theatre [where] the main character [sings] about how they are unsatisfied with their current life, and what they are searching for." Wikipedia

**Songs sung by the protagonist ONLY: Phil Collins' Strangers Like Me from Tarzan does not count.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Wed 7 Aug, 2019 09:25 am
Every time I channel surf, if I run across Fiddler on the Roof, or My Fair Lady, I get hooked and watch.
0 Replies

tsarstepan

Reply Sat 20 Jun, 2020 02:56 pm
tsarstepan

Reply Mon 20 Jul, 2020 07:50 pm
@tsarstepan,
tsarstepan

Reply Mon 17 Jan, 2022 12:53 pm
@tsarstepan,

tsarstepan

Reply Mon 18 Jul, 2022 05:52 pm
@tsarstepan,

0 Replies

coluber2001

Reply Tue 19 Jul, 2022 02:22 pm
It's hard to beat the uplifting Sound of Music or My Fair Lady or even Westside Story where, as in Romeo and Juliet, everybody dies in the end. Another fabulous downer is Porgy and Bess produced in 1959 with Dorothy Dandridge and Sydney Poitier. Porgy and Bess is actually an opera, a splendid American opera that would make opera as popular here as it is in Europe except that it requires an all-black cast, and there are few if any black opera companies, so it's very expensive to produce.

I don't know if Poitier actually did the singing, or he just mouthed the words like Natalie Wood did in West Side Story, but it worked out pretty well in popularizing the stories.
0 Replies

WendyDarling

Reply Fri 2 Dec, 2022 11:59 pm
Willy Wonka And The Chocolate Factory.
0 Replies