The best musical of all time?

Booman

Reply Fri 29 Nov, 2002 11:14 am
I watched "Seven Brides For Seven Brothers" last night. It was just as funny and charming as it was 40 years ago. However there were certain issues I paid closer attention to, like kidnapping, subjugation of women, and desertion. I'm betting the PC police wouldn't let this get through nowadays. I simply veiwed it as the absurdity of comedy.
0 Replies

babsatamelia

Reply Sun 1 Dec, 2002 04:14 am
Lightwiz I take it that you are
referring to the old version
of The King and I.
I haven't ever seen the
more recent version, is
it a musical?
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Sun 1 Dec, 2002 12:14 pm
The really old version is "Anna and the King of Siam" with Irene Dunne and Rex Harrison, the basis for the musical version by Rodgers and Hammerstein on stage and then in a film. The newer "Anna and the King" with Jodie Foster was a handsome film but somehow one yearns for the music and it was still not as good as the original black-and-white version of the story.
0 Replies

flyboy804

Reply Sun 1 Dec, 2002 01:18 pm
Lightwizard- Was "The King and I" based on the film "Anna and the King of Siam" or on the novel of the same name. I did a little google searching but couldn't find the answer.
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Sun 1 Dec, 2002 01:23 pm
To be accurate, they were all based on the book.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Sun 1 Dec, 2002 01:31 pm
Not precisely on topic, but a fascinating website nonetheless (if you're interested in Anna Leon Owens, and a Thai perspective on her and her books) This website is brought to you by ThaiStudents.com and is produced by students and teachers at Sriwittayapaknam School in Samut Prakan, Thailand. The purpose of this web site is to show the world that "The King and I" and "Anna and the King" are fictionalised stories and that there is little truth within these movies.
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Sun 1 Dec, 2002 02:00 pm
"Anna and the King" was supposedly more faithful to the real story but both are obviously heavily romanticized. The original "Anna and the King of Siam," although I don't remember it that well is perhaps more faithful?
0 Replies

flyboy804

Reply Sun 1 Dec, 2002 02:00 pm
ehBeth- Thanks for the really fascinating link. I don't like to duplicate your adjective, but it is too fitting to replace.
0 Replies

babsatamelia

Reply Sun 1 Dec, 2002 03:49 pm
Good grief! And to think that I thought
that the TV version with Yul Brynner was
the "old" one. OOPS! Embarrassed
The music in that was quite handsomely
done though. Irene Dunne - I fear is before
my time, although I distinctly remember Rex
Harrison in My Fair Lady, wasn't it? With the
ever graceful, long necked swan of a woman,
Audrey Hepburn. I once was an ardent watcher
of old movies. (probably because no one had
invented the VCR, rental movies were yet to
come, it was go downtown to the big movie theatre
or watch old movies on the tv at home.) The recent
Anna and the King - was stilted, stuffy & boring
and just not at all right. Poor Jodie, she IS
talented, but seems to have great difficulty
deciding which vehicle will show her off to her
best advantage. You know if I hang around you
folks long enough - I might actually learn something
new. Laughing Laughing
0 Replies

babsatamelia

Reply Sun 1 Dec, 2002 03:54 pm
Hi Flyboy, don't believe we have met before.
You are a newbie, one step up from being
"hatched" WELCOME! Is great to meet you
& I am sure we will see one another around.
Are films, movies, broadway etc one of your
utmost interests? Or, in which area of A2K do
you think you will "sort of settle in to"? I AM
being nosy, just tell me to quit if I bother you.
I just do so much like to meet new people here.
I enjoy this Able2Know site so immensely,
so far at least.
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Mon 2 Dec, 2002 02:47 pm
I don't remember if I mentioned that "Singin' in the Rain" made the Sight and Sound survey of world critics as the number ten best film off all time.
0 Replies

flyboy804

Reply Mon 2 Dec, 2002 03:10 pm
Babs- Yes, your list pretty well shows my favorites. Opera and all forms of dance would be included in your "etc.". Actually I am fond of almost all of the performing arts, a noted exception being "rap".
0 Replies

Booman

Reply Mon 2 Dec, 2002 05:08 pm
Flyboy,
...I I too call myself a music lover, and at one time considered the phrase, "rap music", an oxymoron. However on further investigation, I realize since I have enjoyed poetry, and even doggeral, with a beat, or musical background, surely there must be something in the Rap field , that is acceptable. If you have a mind to , first try the precoursors..."Lou Rawls Live"...."The last Poets"....and from there with guidance, I believe you could enjoy the rare gems, available in the world of rap. I say this only if you are a person that doesn't want to miss anything good if you can help it. .....Other suggestions, "Arrested Developement', Lauren Hill", Wyclef Jean. Of course if you have that mind locked already, disregard. LOL
0 Replies

babsatamelia

Reply Wed 4 Dec, 2002 09:23 pm
Hebba
I just noticed where you said "seasick"
is more like it ... so, what do we have
here. An artist with no romance in
the soul? Or was it just the song that
made you seasick?
0 Replies

babsatamelia

Reply Wed 4 Dec, 2002 09:27 pm
Flyboy - we have a few things in common
then don't we?
Lightwiz - I DID love Singin In The Rain,
it deserved every award it ever won
0 Replies

hebba

Reply Thu 5 Dec, 2002 05:16 am
Just the song Babs,but I could look at Grace Kelly all day.One of the many reasons I´ve seen "High Society" countless times.
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Thu 5 Dec, 2002 11:23 am
Betty Comden and Adolph Green won for the screenplay for "Singin' " at the Golden Globe and Donald O'Conner for best actor, the National Film Registrym in '89. It's Oscar nominations were for Hagen and scoring of a musical and did not win. It's like "Vertigo" which has shown up as number two on the list for the past two years, or "Citizen Kane" for that matter. The films on the critics and directors list save for "The Godfather" didn't fare well at the Oscars and yet films like "Gone With the Wind" which swept up Oscars never make the list.
0 Replies

Xx Mai-Chan xX

Reply Tue 11 Mar, 2003 06:21 pm
Moulin Rouge Is pretty good
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Tue 11 Mar, 2003 06:23 pm
Did anyone mention Grease in this thread? Not my favorite, but certainly deserving of an honorable mention.
0 Replies

Booman

Reply Tue 11 Mar, 2003 09:41 pm
I rather liked, Little "Shop Of Horrors".
0 Replies