The best musical of all time?

babsatamelia

Reply Sun 24 Nov, 2002 11:19 pm
musicals
But, Hebba You gotta be a kid to enjoy that! Since I watch it often with my grandchildren and we sing all the songs,
it is #1 on my list.
I can't very well convince anyone that it has merits it does not
possess, which are rather obvious I guess.
0 Replies

babsatamelia

Reply Sun 24 Nov, 2002 11:22 pm
musicals
The children LOVE the chimney sweep sequence
and one that is even WORSE, it's the part where
Mary and Bert dance with animated penguins and
such, costumes are ghastly & the music is worse
0 Replies

hebba

Reply Mon 25 Nov, 2002 01:08 pm
I totally agree with you but I did like his blazer!
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Mon 25 Nov, 2002 01:47 pm
The pan-and-scan TV presentations of "Mary Poppins" have been very badly rephotographed. The newest DVD wide screen is quite a bit different than trying to enjoy it in a poor print. Hollywood is, as I've said before, not noted for original musical scores - you can name off the best ones and nearly run out of fingers. "Gigi" is undoubtedly the best score written for a film and "Seven Brides for Seven Brothers" a close second. In animated films, there's a treasure trove of good scores starting with "The Lion King."
They appeal to all ages where I agree that the score for Mary Poppins is cloyingly juvenile. Got a big bang out of Randy Newman's music for "Monsters, Inc." although that was an animation comedy where the songs were incidental.
0 Replies

Booman

Reply Mon 25 Nov, 2002 02:24 pm
How could you have a list of dancers, that include women, without having Eleanor Powell, or Ann Miller?...My favorite women are Cyd, and Eleanor. Men are Fred then Donald and Gene. I think fred and Cyd togrther is pure ectasy. (This is my humble professional dancer's POV.)
My favorite musicals are; "Singing In The Rain", "Stormy Weather", "Seven Brides.....", and "Grease". (Would you believe my 2 favorite parts of "Grease' are the Stockard Channing songs? And I've never heard her sing since!)
0 Replies

Booman

Reply Mon 25 Nov, 2002 02:33 pm
jespah,
Whaddaya' mean? Donald did two great numbers with Gene. (Remember the flashback sequence?) I think those two make the best dance duo, outside of the Nicholas Brothers.

I just lo-ve this editing thingie! Very Happy
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Mon 25 Nov, 2002 02:39 pm
Lost the context here -- what were you addressing with "he?" He who?
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Mon 25 Nov, 2002 02:45 pm
(Couldn't find a quote from Jespah that releated to it either). Rolling Eyes Laughing
0 Replies

Booman

Reply Mon 25 Nov, 2002 02:59 pm
jespah stated he wished that Donald O'Connor had danced with a human partner.
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Mon 25 Nov, 2002 03:16 pm
Oh, okay -- from jespah's topic post! I can see why you didn't use the quote button (long quote!)

Donald also did a threesome dance number with Kelly and Reynolds
-- the famous couch tipping sequence.
0 Replies

Booman

Reply Mon 25 Nov, 2002 03:22 pm
Yeah I had forgotten about that one. As for the quote button, I am still learning here. This is really a sophistecated operation. Notice my editing...hah! Now I'm about to follow your instructions on the e-mail reply.....
0 Replies

babsatamelia

Reply Mon 25 Nov, 2002 08:41 pm
Well Lightwizard, I agree Gigi IS great,
but Seven Wives For Seven Brothers??
Not.
Lion King, on the other hand certainly
does have the most marvelous music.
What about Fiddler On The Roof??
Now, THERE is a smasher!
0 Replies

babsatamelia

Reply Mon 25 Nov, 2002 08:46 pm
I have the distinct feeling, Hebba, that you
ARE putting me on here. I can't even
imagine you liking that blazer, :wink:
just from the little that I know of you from
A2K, it doesn't seem to fit with a person of
such taste and talent!
0 Replies

babsatamelia

Reply Mon 25 Nov, 2002 08:51 pm
Booman, Come to think of it, Stockard
Channing DID sing very well in Grease.
That is unless it was dubbed or something
I adored her in that, she was such the little
hustler. Gutsy, stuck up, sexy, and just a
touch of the slut. :wink:
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Mon 25 Nov, 2002 09:29 pm
I was talking movies with original scores written for them (not Broadway adaptations) which are live action. If not "Seven Brides," what else qualifies? Not much.
0 Replies

Booman

Reply Mon 25 Nov, 2002 10:36 pm
Babsatamelia, (whew,what is that short for?)
That is a perfect description. She was so complex, and ahead of her time. If my ear serves me right, it had to be her. the sound was so natural, with her own inflections etc..
0 Replies

babsatamelia

Reply Wed 27 Nov, 2002 12:48 am
Helloooo booman
You can call me Babs I live on Amelia Island.
Hence the babsatamelia
You've got me there, Lightwiz
Score 1 for the Wiz
I'll have to sleep on it, then
rack me brain when I am more awake.
Broadway has the best of the best
TY Babs
0 Replies

hebba

Reply Wed 27 Nov, 2002 04:04 am
LW,all this talk of movie scores but not a mention of Herbie Hancock,Michel Legrand,Lalo Schifrin,Miles Davis or Serge Gainsbourg who in my opinion wrote SCORES.Film music with pananche.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Wed 27 Nov, 2002 06:07 am
babsatamelia- Is that the Amelia Island in Florida? If it is, it looks like A2K is getting quite a contingent from Florida!
0 Replies

Booman

Reply Wed 27 Nov, 2002 10:13 am
Babs,
Can you tell me a little about amelia Island? I'm intrigued by the fact that it affects your name.
BTW, I remember "Seven Brides....", it made my favorites list mostly from pure exuberance and fun.

Hebba,
A score is the musical background. In musicals, song and dance is integrated into the plot, or in many cases the plot is a flimsy excuse for the song and dance. You could start a whole new topic. (hint,hint)
0 Replies