The best musical of all time?

Foxfyre

Reply Sun 22 Feb, 2009 07:31 pm
For me, for sheer enjoyment and wnting to see them over and over and over again, it is a toss up between:
"The Sound of Music", "Oklahoma" (the original movie), "The King and I", and "Seven Brides for Seven Brothers". I own all four, but still stop whatever I'm doing to watch if one happens to be on television--I cannot not watch. And I can't pick a favorite.
cicerone imposter

Reply Sun 22 Feb, 2009 07:37 pm
@Foxfyre,
What? No Flower Drum Song? LOL
Izzie

Reply Sun 22 Feb, 2009 07:40 pm
@cicerone imposter,
Yep.... the King and I........ wouldn't you love to dance in a dress like that.... (well maybe not you ci.... but Mrs ci would I'm sure) - great Musical too.
0 Replies

Eva

Reply Sun 22 Feb, 2009 08:28 pm
SonofEva would say "Rocky Horror Picture Show."

Laughing
Foxfyre

Reply Sun 22 Feb, 2009 08:31 pm
Thinking again of Seven Brides for Seven Brothers, I was so enraptured with that film--I went to the Sunday matinee--the movies just keep looping and repeating over and over and you could stay for as many showing as you wanted for your one ticket. My very angry mother came and dragged me out of the theater that night in the fourth or fifth showing--I didn't want to go. Talked her into going back with me the next night. Smile

Still love the movie.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Mon 23 Feb, 2009 05:32 am
@Eva,
Oh my!!! Rocky Horror.

I still sing from that all the time. It was a cult here for many years....there was a cinema that showed it every Friday night, and people would dress up and attend regularly and sing it all and such.

The stage production lasted forever, too.

I love My Fair Lady....the script is rawther fine, you know (I like Shaw, and it wasn't too gussied up for the film).

I sing from that all the time, too.

I dislike Sound of Music intensely (sorry Fox), but I can sing all that, too, since it was my mother's favourite, and we had the cast recording, which she played again and again and again and again.....

It wasn't a musical, but I do love the soundtrack from Diva...especially that lovely aria from La Wally.

PS: The hamsters are doing well tonight....one of the ads below, for me, is for an upcoming Adelaide production of "Orpheus in the Underworld"!
dlowan

Reply Mon 23 Feb, 2009 05:42 am
@dlowan,
Here;s maria Callas doing the aria I spoke of....an inferior version to my ears from that of the woman in the film:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kYUYbCksbjk&feature=related
dlowan

Reply Mon 23 Feb, 2009 05:52 am
@dlowan,
And here's the film version:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2hsmoo97CVA
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Mon 23 Feb, 2009 06:07 am
I really dont care for musicals, they bore the hell out of me. HOWEVER, I loved "The Producers" the Gener Wilder and Zero Mostel version.
edgarblythe

Reply Mon 23 Feb, 2009 06:41 am
I probably mentioned a few favorites here when the thread was new. I won't read back to see what I said. Most musicals are not that good, in my opinion. But, I dearly love a few. Yankee Doodle Dandy, The Producers, My Fair Lady, The Music Man, Carousel. I enjoyed a once only viewing of Unsinkable Molly Brown and Singin in the Rain. The rest, either I haven't viewed, forgot, or loathed.
farmerman

Reply Mon 23 Feb, 2009 08:47 am
@edgarblythe,
I saw Little Abner about 10 years ago and was entertained (forgot about that, also we saw the Funny thing Happened" with WHoopie Goldberg. I fell sound asleep cause we had dinner at the hotel first
0 Replies

Eva

Reply Mon 23 Feb, 2009 10:44 am
@dlowan,
dlowan wrote:

Oh my!!! Rocky Horror.

I still sing from that all the time. It was a cult here for many years....there was a cinema that showed it every Friday night, and people would dress up and attend regularly and sing it all and such....

Yes, same here. SonofEva has just discovered it, thanks to me and Hubby. (It's tough to come up with entertainment ideas that 14 year old boys will like that don't involve computers.) He had a Friday night gathering here a couple of weeks ago with his friends to watch the DVD. They got all the props, etc. (No fear...we limited them to 2 grains of rice apiece. They thought it was hilarious.) One friend has since changed his Facebook photo to one taken that night when they were wearing the newspaper hats. They didn't even know how to make paper hats. Can you imagine?
0 Replies

George

Reply Mon 23 Feb, 2009 10:58 am
I can't call it the best musical by a long shot, but my personal favorite was a
complete flop on Broadway. I saw "Her First Roman" when it was trying out in
Boston. It starred Leslie Uggams as Cleopatra and Richard Kiley as Caesar.
0 Replies

Merry Andrew

Reply Mon 23 Feb, 2009 12:14 pm
Movie musicals: for me it's a tossup between Singin' in the Rain and An American in Paris, both Gene Kelly vehicles. As for ole Fred A., I loved Bandwagon. The most memorable Broadway show I can remember has to be Cats. Saw it twice in about a six-month span.
joefromchicago

Reply Mon 23 Feb, 2009 12:47 pm
Co-Ed Prison Sluts.
Izzie

Reply Mon 23 Feb, 2009 12:58 pm
@joefromchicago,
Oh.......... just thought of another one.... gosh, must've been one of the first ones I saw....

"Paint Your Wagon"....... I was born under a Wanderin' Star, There's a Coach Comin' In..... <sings> man, that was a LONG time ago!
0 Replies

Foxfyre

Reply Mon 23 Feb, 2009 01:03 pm
So many good ones. I was in the chorus in our home town little theater productions of Guys & Dolls and South Pacific. I still like Guys & Dolls though I don't see it as one of the greats. I still see South Pacific as rather tedious and something people don't want to see again and again.

I helped with scenery and one of my staffers was the choreographer for a home town rendition of Camelot, however, and that one is memorable though again not one of the greatest.
0 Replies

Foxfyre

Reply Mon 23 Feb, 2009 01:52 pm
And this is for all you "Singing in the Rain" folks.....truly a classic and on my list but I enjoy some others more:

And El Stud is casting his vote for "The Best Little Whorehouse in Texas" and "Lil Abner".
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Mon 23 Feb, 2009 02:15 pm
@Merry Andrew,
Ditto on "The Bandwagon," the other best movie musical of all times. It's hard to judge those musicals that were written for the screen, and those adapted from a Broadway show.

"Cabaret" is still one of my favorites on stage and in the film. At the time, it was revolutionary to bring such a seriously, controversial theme to the Broadway stage as a musical. Then decades later, we got a satire of the same subject matter, "The Producers" -- "Springtime for Hitler."
edgarblythe

Reply Mon 23 Feb, 2009 02:22 pm
I forgot to put Fiddler on the Roof on my list.