The best musical of all time?

blatham

Reply Sun 3 Nov, 2002 11:33 pm
Hazlitt

Neither had I, really, until we all got to discussing it here. Like my mom said, it's good to share (she said it as she took a bite of my chocolate bar, the bitch).
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Mon 4 Nov, 2002 11:34 am
That's close enough a quote from the film, Haz. I loved the Faust sequence where they set goes awry and the turkey egg! The shoeshine sequence has to be the antithesis of tap dancing!
0 Replies

hebba

Reply Wed 6 Nov, 2002 08:51 am
Whoa some eye opening posts,people.Wow.
These musicals though,I´m thinking about High Society and of course,I realize it´s not a singin´ dancin´ musical but it has all those splendid Porter songs and how come no one has mentioned it yet?
Funny Face is charming but foolish I know, but I could watch the young Audrey for ever.Oooweee and that splendid "Beatnik"scene in the smokey Parisian dive kills me every time.
Who was it in here that said "when Astaire dances he´s magical but when he´s not there´s nothing there".I agree.He was bland and weak as an actor.
The showstopper is where he dances with his coat and umbrella in front of Miss.Hepburns window.Man!!
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Wed 6 Nov, 2002 09:10 am
hebba

I'd quite forgotten High Society, and I love it. The title song is a wonderful example of the joyful wordsmithing not just or Porter, but of so many lyricists from the period. And the "Jubilee" number is a favorite treat.
0 Replies

hebba

Reply Wed 6 Nov, 2002 09:14 am
Jubilee number?Hmm,refresh my memory please Blatham.
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Wed 6 Nov, 2002 09:29 am
I haven't seen if for some years, and it may look a bit odd in the present climate, but the song (if I recall correctly) was done by Louis and his band on a bus. Ring any bells?
0 Replies

Merry Andrew

Reply Wed 6 Nov, 2002 09:33 am
High Society.
0 Replies

hebba

Reply Wed 6 Nov, 2002 09:34 am
The title number was sung on the bus yes,but you mentioned the Jubilee scene and I don´t know which scene it is you´re referring to
.Would love to know.
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Wed 6 Nov, 2002 09:50 am
My comfusion, I was thinking the song Jubilee was sung on the bus. Am I mixing two films up here? I'll see if I can find this.
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Wed 6 Nov, 2002 10:01 am
My confusion is confusing. Porter did a Broadway musical 'Jubilee', but doesn't seem to have been a movie nor a single title. So I don't know how I've conflated these two things. In the bus scene, do you recall if the bus was perhaps decorated with a sign featuring the word 'jubilee' or if they were perhaps on their way to a jubilee celebration?
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Wed 6 Nov, 2002 05:06 pm
This is what I found on the Porter musical:

http://www.geocities.com/porterguide/jubilee.html
0 Replies

hebba

Reply Thu 7 Nov, 2002 06:02 am
Blatham,no Jubilee as far as I remember and I´ve seen High Society dozens of times.
Doesn´t matter though."I Love You Samantha" is gorgeous where Frankie sings to Gracie and she tries to drink her champagne while looking nonchalent.
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Thu 7 Nov, 2002 10:28 am
One of those brain misfires, I guess. Now, of course, I'll be haunted to the grave by this (it seems likely to be a very crowded grave I'll inhabit).

Here is a lovely little bit of writing by Anthony Lane, though not musical related... http://slate.msn.com/default.aspx?id=2073485&entry=0
0 Replies

hebba

Reply Thu 7 Nov, 2002 10:38 am
I liked the Lane piece.I´m also embarrased because I am an Englishman and the person in the press office sounded like a complete moron.How did they get the damn job I wonder?
"Hi So Hi So Seye Hi Ho Society!!"
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Thu 7 Nov, 2002 12:24 pm
I like Lane's writing too, though there ain't no one who matches Kael.

Don't feel too badly hebba. I think it entirely certain that the converse situation is far worse. My daughter completed high school in California and was flabbergasted at the insularity of most American youth.
0 Replies

JoanneDorel

Reply Sun 10 Nov, 2002 03:30 pm
Cabaret on stage and on film. I saw the stage version at the Ken Cen with Joel Grey. He is amazing I stood by the stage door for hours to get him to sign my program.
0 Replies

babsatamelia

Reply Sun 24 Nov, 2002 11:53 am
best musical
Fred has to be number one - his dancing
was so perfect, so light, he made it look soooo easy.
I know better.
Favorite musicals hmmmmmmmm
1. Mary Poppins
2. Sound of Music
3. West Side Story
4. Grease
5. Porgy and Bess

however this is based mostly on the music
0 Replies

hebba

Reply Sun 24 Nov, 2002 12:26 pm
MARY POPPINS!! Ouch Babs.I thought it the most boring trash.Awfully choreographed too.That chimney sweep dance on the rooves of London seemed to go on for hours.Julie Andrews makes me shiver too.Brrrrr.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sun 24 Nov, 2002 01:02 pm
They are all good. My vote is for Cagney in "Yankee Doodle Dandy."
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sun 24 Nov, 2002 01:03 pm
I was speaking strictly od dancing. My favorite musicals are "My Fair Lady" and "Carousel".
0 Replies