Snowdon is a dummy

korkamann

Thu 11 Jun, 2015 04:14 pm
@Frank Apisa,
Quote:
I can say that although I feel a loyalty to my country (just as I feel a loyalty to humanity in general)...I am certainly not so infatuated that I will not speak out when I see it doing wrong.

I agree. We should always speak up when we see a wrong done by our government. I, and many of my countrymen were furious at the W administration for invading Iraq and threatening the countries who refused to join the invasion coalition with retaliation. Cheney said to these opposing countries those who do not help us overturn Saddam Hussein will not be allowed oil contracts when the time came.

In addition, the over 4,500 US military, along with British troops who were killed. The displaced Iraqis made into refugees, the innocent children, women, the elderly, killed in the thousands. Dick Cheney's torture program for captured Iraqis who would not talk; Abu Ghraib torture and prisoner abuse. Dick Cheney, in my opinion, is disturbed, a psychopathic mental case.
Olivier5

Thu 11 Jun, 2015 10:38 pm
@Frank Apisa,
Pity the concerned US authorities don't listen to you... :-)
0 Replies

Olivier5

Thu 11 Jun, 2015 10:47 pm
@korkamann,
Dick Cheney and the chimp deserve a fair trial...
0 Replies

oralloy

Fri 12 Jun, 2015 04:04 am
@InfraBlue,
InfraBlue wrote:
oralloy wrote:
InfraBlue wrote:
oralloy wrote:
InfraBlue wrote:
After having implemented this surveillance program in complete secrecy

The program was authorized by public legislation.

Not explicitly. The regime justifies its surveillance program, PRISM, by way of its 2008 amendment to the, Foreign Intelligence Surveillance Act of 1978, but it isn't in that amendment.

That may be the case with PRISM, but the program that was just eviscerated was explicitly authorized by the PATRIOT Act.

Which program is that?

The phone metadata program.

InfraBlue wrote:
oralloy wrote:
And given the fact that the program that was explicitly authorized by law has just been eviscerated for no good reason, there seems to be a good argument for going the route of just implementing these programs without any legal authorization.

What argumen would that be?

Since the programs that have no judicial or Congressional oversight are the ones that survive, we should free the NSA of all such oversight.

InfraBlue wrote:
oralloy wrote:
InfraBlue wrote:
oralloy wrote:
InfraBlue wrote:
and circle-jerk collusion throughout all of the branches of government

Was it bad that they got warrants from judges before they accessed the data???

It's bad that the judiciary won't even consider this program's legality on the basis that no one has demonstrated that they've been directly harmed by this program. They're issuing warrants through a program of dubious, to say the least, legality.

Are we talking about PRISM or the phone metadata?

The phone metadata collection is what PRISM authorized.

I thought PRISM was something about recording everything on the internet.

InfraBlue wrote:
oralloy wrote:
The phone metadata program was legal as far as I can see.

Yeah, that's the regime's argument as well.

Well, it had been authorized by law, and the data was only accessed with the permission of judicial warrants. The claim that it was legal was on pretty solid ground.

InfraBlue wrote:
oralloy wrote:
It is noteworthy that the explicitly legal program was just destroyed, while the not-so-legal program continues unabated.

What programs are you talking about?

The phone metadata program, which was authorized by Congress and conducted with judicial oversight, was just destroyed.

The recording and storing of every single thing on the internet, which is being done without any Congressional authorization or judicial oversight, continues unabated.

The lesson is clear. It is a mistake to subject our intelligence operations to Congressional or judicial oversight.
revelette2

Fri 12 Jun, 2015 11:45 am
@oralloy,
The mass data program (whatever it is officially called) was discontinued probably because (would have to look it up to know for sure) there was/is too much evidence which suggested it was too vast to do much good in tracking down terrorist. Why continue a program if it does no good, just for ideological reasons?
Frank Apisa

Fri 12 Jun, 2015 11:51 am
@revelette2,
My guess...

...AND THIS IS PURE GUESSWORK...

...is that it is not as ineffective as some of its detractors want to paint it...

...and it is almost certainly not stopped.

I suspect it has gone further underground.

Essentially, I think the only thing we have lost...is the intensity of the over-sight.
oralloy

Fri 12 Jun, 2015 02:16 pm
@revelette2,
revelette2 wrote:
The mass data program (whatever it is officially called) was discontinued probably because (would have to look it up to know for sure) there was/is too much evidence which suggested it was too vast to do much good in tracking down terrorist. Why continue a program if it does no good, just for ideological reasons?

The program did a lot of good. It was quite useful at confirming the validity of other intelligence and at ruling out dead-end leads which were not worth wasting limited resources on.
0 Replies

oralloy

Fri 12 Jun, 2015 02:17 pm
@Frank Apisa,
Frank Apisa wrote:
My guess...

...AND THIS IS PURE GUESSWORK...

...is that it is not as ineffective as some of its detractors want to paint it...

...and it is almost certainly not stopped.

I suspect it has gone further underground.

Essentially, I think the only thing we have lost...is the intensity of the over-sight.

I hope you're right.

Either they would have to get the phone companies (or individuals within the phone companies) to continue to supply them with all the data even without legal authorization, or they would have to seize the data without anyone at the phone companies being aware of what was happening.
Frank Apisa

Fri 12 Jun, 2015 03:32 pm
@oralloy,
They are pretty crafty...which is why they call what they do tradecraft. And the technology is increasing exponentially.

I think they can get their hands on what they want and need.

As I suggested, there is a decent chance the only thing that will result from all this will be to weaken oversight.

Or at least that is all that will happen until the trial.
0 Replies

InfraBlue

Fri 12 Jun, 2015 04:27 pm
@oralloy,
oralloy wrote:
InfraBlue wrote:
oralloy wrote:
. . . the program that was just eviscerated was explicitly authorized by the PATRIOT Act.
Which program is that?

The PATRIOT Act allows for wiretaps of telephones without court order. It doesn't authorize phone metadata collection.

oralloy wrote:
Since the programs that have no judicial or Congressional oversight are the ones that survive, we should free the NSA of all such oversight.

Which programs are those?

oralloy wrote:

PRISM is the phone metadata collection program.

oralloy wrote:
InfraBlue wrote:
oralloy wrote:

Well, it had been authorized by law, and the data was only accessed with the permission of judicial warrants. The claim that it was legal was on pretty solid ground.

The fact that the regime granted itself authorization through the secret implementation of this program to surveil the citizens of the US throught their cellular phones is on pretty shaky legal ground vis-à-vis the 4th Amendment.

oralloy wrote:
The lesson is clear. It is a mistake to subject our intelligence operations to Congressional or judicial oversight.

You've pointed out what's being done with some of these programs. You haven't explained why it's a mistake.

The threat of abuse by the government of this enormous power that it granted to itself is too great to be accepted.
InfraBlue

Fri 12 Jun, 2015 04:43 pm
Kaspersky Finds New Nation-State Attack—In Its Own Network

Quote:
Researchers at Kaspersky Lab in Russia have discovered yet another new nation-state attack attributed to members of the infamous Stuxnet and Duqu gang. But this time the perpetrators were hiding in plain sight—inside the security firm’s own networks.

The attackers appear to be the same group that created Duqu, spyware discovered in 2011 that was used to hack a certificate authority in Hungary, as well as targets in Iran and Sudan, and that shared a number of similarities with Stuxnet, the famed digital weapon that sabotaged Iran’s nuclear program. The team’s handiwork popped up again in 2012 in two sophisticated spy tools Kaspersky helped expose—the massive Flame surveillance platform that infected thousands of victims over a period of five years and the mysterious Gauss attack, which contained a payload so securely locked that it’s yet to be deciphered.

Kaspersky wasn’t the only victim of Duqu 2.0. Based on data the company collected from its customers, the attackers also struck a series of hotels and conference venues, each of them a location where members of the UN Security Council met in the past year to negotiate Iran’s nuclear program. That program is a recurring interest for the attackers behind the Duqu code, which shouldn’t come as a big surprise. The US and Israel reportedly were behind Stuxnet, but various researchers have long suspected that Israel alone was behind the Duqu code. The focused spying on the nuclear negotiations, from which Israel was excluded, would seem to support this theory.

Additionally, the security firm Symantec, which obtained samples of Duqu 2.0 provided by Kaspersky, uncovered more victims of the targeted attack code among its own customers, and found that some of these victims were in the US—a fact that would be cause for even more concern if the attack were perpetrated by the US government.

more...
RABEL222

Fri 12 Jun, 2015 10:33 pm
@izzythepush,
How do you know that he isent sharing U S intel with the Russian government for the privilege of hiding out in that country?
RABEL222

Fri 12 Jun, 2015 10:35 pm
@ehBeth,
If Cruse is elected president I will probably go with her. Bush was bad enough.
0 Replies

Olivier5

Sat 13 Jun, 2015 04:17 am
@InfraBlue,
You can bet Israel is doing all it can (and in this field, they can do more than anybody else, US included) to keep tabs on the negotiations over Iranian nukes.
0 Replies

izzythepush

Sat 13 Jun, 2015 04:21 am
@RABEL222,
He no longer has the intel, he gave it to journalists. Whose fault is it that he's in Russia anyway? He could instead be seeking asylum in Germany, but heavy handed tactics including the forced landing of the Bolivian presidential plane have made that an impossibility.
oralloy

Sat 13 Jun, 2015 03:42 pm
@InfraBlue,
InfraBlue wrote:
oralloy wrote:
InfraBlue wrote:
oralloy wrote:
. . . the program that was just eviscerated was explicitly authorized by the PATRIOT Act.

Which program is that?

The PATRIOT Act allows for wiretaps of telephones without court order.

Cite?

InfraBlue wrote:
It doesn't authorize phone metadata collection.

Patriot Act Section 215: Access to records and other items under FISA

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Section_summary_of_the_Patriot_Act,_Title_II#Section_215:_Access_to_records_and_other_items_under_FISA

InfraBlue wrote:
oralloy wrote:

Which programs are those?

The programs that permanently record the entire internet and all activity on it.

InfraBlue wrote:
oralloy wrote:

PRISM is the phone metadata collection program.

"PRISM is a government code name for a data-collection effort known officially by the SIGAD US-984XN.[5][6] The PRISM program collects stored Internet communications based on demands made to Internet companies such as Google Inc. under Section 702 of the FISA Amendments Act of 2008 to turn over any data that match court-approved search terms.[7] The NSA can use these PRISM requests to target communications that were encrypted when they traveled across the Internet backbone, to focus on stored data that telecommunication filtering systems discarded earlier,[8][9] and to get data that is easier to handle, among other things.[10]"

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PRISM_%28surveillance_program%29

InfraBlue wrote:
oralloy wrote:
InfraBlue wrote:
oralloy wrote:

The fact that the regime granted itself authorization through the secret implementation of this program to surveil the citizens of the US throught their cellular phones is on pretty shaky legal ground vis-à-vis the 4th Amendment.

That sounds like a wise choice on their part. It is clear now that these intelligence programs should be conducted without any oversight.

InfraBlue wrote:
oralloy wrote:

You've pointed out what's being done with some of these programs. You haven't explained why it's a mistake.

The reason why it is a mistake to have oversight is, the programs that include such oversight end up being scrapped for no good reason.

InfraBlue wrote:
The threat of abuse by the government of this enormous power that it granted to itself is too great to be accepted.

The threat would have been minimal with Congressional and judicial oversight of the programs.

But oh well. We'll learn to get along without such oversight.
RABEL222

Sat 13 Jun, 2015 08:47 pm
@izzythepush,
He could have bypassed all that by returning to the U S, but I have always suspected that he sold information to Russia and China as well as lesser info to the media.
ehBeth

Sat 13 Jun, 2015 08:51 pm
@RABEL222,
It's all in an archive at U of T.

It would be silly for anyone to pay for it.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Sun 14 Jun, 2015 06:39 am
Anonymous sources were reported by today's 'Sunday Times' and the BBC that Russia and China have broken into the secret cache of Edward Snowden files and that British agents have had to be withdrawn from live operations as a consequence.

This has been published today, a few days after a 373-page report by the independent reviewer of terrorism legislation, David Anderson QC, came out, which was commissioned by David Cameron. (Anderson was highly critical of the existing system of oversight of the surveillance agencies and set out a series of recommendations for reform.)

So, if Downing Street and the Home Office believe that Russia and China had gained access to the Snowden documents, why don't they tell it the USA and publish it officially?
izzythepush

Sun 14 Jun, 2015 09:28 am
@RABEL222,
RABEL222 wrote:

He could have bypassed all that by returning to the U S,

In other words, He could have bypassed all that by returning to his doom.

Would you? Seriously if you had leaked a load of information, after what had happened to Bradley Manning would you even consider the possibility of returning to that? I wouldn't, a shitty flat in Moscow is better that being waterboarded and spending the rest of your life banged up.
0 Replies