Snowdon is a dummy

JTT

Reply Sun 21 Jul, 2013 11:32 pm
@Rockhead,
http://www.independent.co.uk/voices/comment/germany-should-honour-its-debt-and-offer-nsa-whistleblower-edward-snowden-asylum-8722923.html

"Hochhuth cites with approval George Bernard Shaw’s somewhat self-regarding bon mot: “I am held to be a master of irony. But even I would not have had the idea of erecting the Statue of Liberty in New York.”

0 Replies

oralloy

Reply Mon 22 Jul, 2013 12:32 am
@JTT,
JTT wrote:
I don't believe liars like Oralloy should be left to advance their falsehoods, Olivier.

You can't show a single untrue thing I've said, much less an untrue statement that was due to intentional deception.
0 Replies

oralloy

Reply Mon 22 Jul, 2013 12:33 am
@Rockhead,
Rockhead the Retard wrote:
I dunno.
oralboy and jtt could be our own a2k version of
http://t2.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSD1A_OEJ6pKfOT7I_PcrYogxnLcGYrAkciUyKLZQLhBrTtr-SL

JTT isn't a bad person. He is just mistaken about the actions of the US.

(Try not to whine too hard about the name-calling. First, I merely told the truth about you: you're pretty stupid. And second, I claim justified retaliation for your own name-calling.)
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Mon 22 Jul, 2013 04:58 am
@JTT,
From the link

Quote:
It was later revealed that the European countries’ actions were prompted by accusations made by the US ambassador to Austria, William Eacho, who alleged that American whistleblower Edward Snowden had been taken on board to help him gain political asylum in Latin America.

I hadn't seen that before. Interesting.

Quote:
By intervening in what they thought were South America’s attempts to grant Snowden asylum, the United States and its allies are undermining the fundamental principles of international law, British human rights activist Peter Tatchell told RT.

“What the United States government is seeking is to obstruct Edward Snowden’s bid to seek asylum. Not to get asylum, but to seek asylum,” Tatchell said. “It has bullied and threatened and menaced other countries around the world to not grant him asylum and to not grant airspace so that a flight can take him to another country. That is a direct attack upon the United Nations’ refugee conventions, and it is shocking and appalling that a supposedly democratic government, in collusion with European governments - including the government in Britain - has been conspiring to not allow Mr. Snowden to make a valid asylum application.”

I agree. And, as pointed out in the article Walter posted yesterday, their ridiculous reaction is only giving Snowden's position more validity.
Walter Hinteler

Reply Mon 22 Jul, 2013 05:19 am
@JPB,
JPB wrote:

Quote:
It was later revealed that the European countries’ actions were prompted by accusations made by the US ambassador to Austria, William Eacho, who alleged that American whistleblower Edward Snowden had been taken on board to help him gain political asylum in Latin America.

That was reported first by the Austrian paper "Die Presse" on 3 July.
Eacho, btw, has no earlier diplomatic experiences but was one of Obama’s biggest campaign fundraisers, and he helped raise over $500,000. Eacho and his immediate family also donated $226,000 to federal politics in 2007-08 ....
But he will return from his diplomatic post at the end of this month Wink
JPB

Reply Mon 22 Jul, 2013 05:22 am
@Walter Hinteler,
That's pretty common, Walter. Give or raise bunches of money, become an ambassador -- usually to somewhere safe. It's certainly not unique to the Obama administration.

The story got no coverage whatsoever in the US media that I could see.
Walter Hinteler

Reply Mon 22 Jul, 2013 06:50 am
@JPB,
The Chief of Staff of the German Chancellery and Minister for Special Affairs (which includes the co-ordination of our secret services) Pofalla will inform our parliament's Parliamentary Control Panel "this week" about what's going on between German secret services, here especially the BND, and the NSA.
(The Parliamentary Control Panel supervises our three secret services. [The supervisory powers, include the right to inspect records, the right of admission to all official premises of the intelligence services and the right to interview members of the intelligence services.]).
JPB

Reply Mon 22 Jul, 2013 07:58 am
@Walter Hinteler,
Clapper outright lied to Congress when asked a specific point-blank question. Perhaps your Minister for Special Affairs will be more forthcoming to your Parliament.
Walter Hinteler

Reply Mon 22 Jul, 2013 08:14 am
@JPB,
You usually don't get more information out of that Parliamentary Control Panel than rumours. But the members from the Left (Party) and Greens (Party) don't mind telling in public if there have been lies ...
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Mon 22 Jul, 2013 08:48 am
@JPB,
JPB wrote:

From the link

Quote:

Quote:
By intervening in what they thought were South America’s attempts to grant Snowden asylum, the United States and its allies are undermining the fundamental principles of international law, British human rights activist Peter Tatchell told RT.

“What the United States government is seeking is to obstruct Edward Snowden’s bid to seek asylum. Not to get asylum, but to seek asylum,” Tatchell said. “It has bullied and threatened and menaced other countries around the world to not grant him asylum and to not grant airspace so that a flight can take him to another country. That is a direct attack upon the United Nations’ refugee conventions, and it is shocking and appalling that a supposedly democratic government, in collusion with European governments - including the government in Britain - has been conspiring to not allow Mr. Snowden to make a valid asylum application.”

I agree. And, as pointed out in the article Walter posted yesterday, their ridiculous reaction is only giving Snowden's position more validity.

Not sure why you feel that way, but as far as I am concerned, Snowden's position seems to be less and less reasonable every day...and the position of the United States to prosecute someone who stole state secrets...seems more and more valid.
Walter Hinteler

Reply Mon 22 Jul, 2013 08:51 am
@JPB,
Quote:
Chancellor Angela Merkel has repeatedly said she knew nothing about American surveillance activities in Germany. But documents seen by SPIEGEL show that German intelligence cooperates closely with the NSA and even uses spy software provided by the US.
More @ Spiegel
Walter Hinteler

Reply Mon 22 Jul, 2013 09:26 am
@Walter Hinteler,
Quote:
As new details surface almost daily about the PRISM program, German anger at the government in Berlin increases. The state must protect citizens as well as their privacy, constitutional lawyer Horst Dreier argues.
[...]If a private German company had conducted the surveillance, and not the US National Security Agency NSA, it would be abundantly clear that such a violation of innumerable citizens' right to freedom, privacy and informal self-determination by a private agency would be absolutely unacceptable and absolutely inadmissible. Introducing new norms would not be necessary to prevent such activity; one would merely have to apply the existing ones.

So, if the US violates German basic right,- the legal consequences are not clear?

Not that I know of. If I understand correctly what the Americans are saying, their attitude is: we are not allowed to just monitor our own citizens without control. But foreigners? Anytime and with no limits! That can't really be right; at least it is not along the lines of the German Basic Law.

Should Germany defend itself more decidedly against foreign surveillance in order to fulfill its duty of protection?

I would say so! In any case, one can not put the matter to rest simply by pointing out these are actions not taken by the German government, but by foreign authorities. The exciting question is: to what extent are the state's duties of protection activated if the infringements - violations of constitutional rights such as comprehensive illegal wiretapping - aren't instigated by other citizens, but by other states? Admittedly, these duties of protection are structured in a way that the state has a relative broad scope of discretion. But I feel it is evident that the state must in some manner fulfill these duties of protection and cannot remain completely passive.
Full report @DW - Deutsche Welle
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Mon 22 Jul, 2013 09:26 am
@Frank Apisa,
That's reasonable, Frank.

You feel that the actions of the NSA are justified and justifiable and I think they're outrageous and violate the 4th Amendment protections of the constitution. It's not surprising that we'd have different opinions on the US government's reaction.

So, you're ok with the President of a sovereign nation being forbidden airspace over numerous European countries on the say-so of a US ambassador, being forced to land and be detained in Austria in order for his plane to be searched for a man who wasn't there? Really?
Frank Apisa

Reply Mon 22 Jul, 2013 09:42 am
@JPB,
JPB wrote:

That's reasonable, Frank.

You feel that the actions of the NSA are justified and justifiable and I think they're outrageous and violate the 4th Amendment protections of the constitution. It's not surprising that we'd have different opinions on the US government's reaction.

So, you're ok with the President of a sovereign nation being forbidden airspace over numerous European countries on the say-so of a US ambassador, being forced to land and be detained in Austria in order for his plane to be searched for a man who wasn't there? Really?

I think it is imperative that the United States bring Snowden to trial. If it doesn't, we might just as well shut down America.

I have no problem with people seeing Snowden as a heroic figure of some sort...but I disagree completely. I see him as a guy who violated US laws and his oaths.

As a citizen I tend to demand that the government bring him to trial no matter what. And if there are other coutries that aid him in escaping American justice...or who impede it...I say we should force the issue.

I am not nuts about America constantly flexing its muscle the way it does...but I am also not nuts about earthquakes and hurricanes. These things happen. We are not technologically capable of preventing earthquakes and hurricanes...and we are not psychologically capable of preventing strong nations from acting as strong nations have always acted.

Yeah...I am really okay with that. Really. And I am as amazed that you are not okay with it as you apparently are amazed that I feel as I do.
izzythepush

Reply Mon 22 Jul, 2013 09:56 am
@Frank Apisa,
Frank Apisa wrote:

JPB wrote:
I think it is imperative that the United States bring Snowden to trial. If it doesn't, we might just as well shut down America.

O come on now, shut down America? Have a word with yourself. Snowden hasn't let out anything that compromises national security. He's exposed a system, not just American, that is bloated and believes itself to be above the law. He's more of a muckraker than anything else.

You seem to be advocating one law for spies who break America's laws, and quite another for those who break the laws of another, allied country.

Have you seen this thread?

http://able2know.org/topic/218471-1

Basically, a man who has already been found guilty of kidnap and sentenced to nine years in an Italian jail has been allowed to elude justice because of American heavy-handedness.

The message that's coming out of America is that Americans are above the law, not including Snowden of course.

I know America is still the most powerful country on Earth, but you won't be forever, and one day your very own version of the Suez crisis will happen. Your security forces' behaviour of late has seen that day move a little closer.
Frank Apisa

Reply Mon 22 Jul, 2013 10:42 am
@izzythepush,
Quote:
O come on now, shut down America?

Yeah, if it is unwilling to prosecute stuff like this, America should shut down.

Quote:
Have a word with yourself. Snowden hasn't let out anything that compromises national security.

First of all…how do you KNOW that?

Secondly, I didn’t say he compromised national security. I said he broke laws and broke his oath of office.

He broke laws…and that means he is a law-breaker. Law-breakers ought to stand trial...which is what I am advocating. I really do not understand why you are not.

Quote:
He's exposed a system, not just American, that is bloated and believes itself to be above the law. He's more of a muckraker than anything else.

If that is your opinion…fine. I am coming from a different position.

Quote:
You seem to be advocating one law for spies who break America's laws, and quite another for those who break the laws of another, allied country.

Is that something you just made up? I do not have any idea of where that comes from?

Quote:
The message that's coming out of America is that Americans are above the law, not including Snowden of course.

If you get that message...fine. I do not. And if America is suggesting they are above the law...they should be called on it. Beware, however, of the question, "Who is going to put the bell on the cat?"

Quote:
I know America is still the most powerful country on Earth, but you won't be forever...

ABSOLUTELY...POSITIVELY. This is something I have said often. All great nations fall...and I seriously doubt we will be an exception. In fact, if I had to guess...we are closer to the fall than to the start. We'll see.

Walter Hinteler

Reply Mon 22 Jul, 2013 10:47 am
Quote:
Our nation has entered a new era that brings profound changes to the way the National Security Agency conducts its mission. The explosion of the World Wide Web has created a need for the Computer Network Operations (CNO) mission. This very important mission is composed of three major parts: network defense, network attack, and computer network exploitation. In order to carry out these functions NSA is looking for people who are highly skilled and impassioned about winning the war in cyberspace. These are NOT your average Computer Science or Engineering jobs!

If someone wants to apply - more here at NSA
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Mon 22 Jul, 2013 10:53 am
@Frank Apisa,
Frank Apisa wrote:
I said he broke laws and broke his oath of office.
He broke laws…and that means he is a law-breaker. Law-breakers ought to stand trial...which is what I am advocating. I really do not understand why you are not.
Just two days ago, we commemorated an anniversary of the most famous Germans who broke the law and their oaths of office ... the officers of the 20 July plot ... (Actually, the had to kill Hitler to free others from the oaths of allegiance.)
izzythepush

Reply Mon 22 Jul, 2013 10:56 am
@Frank Apisa,
Frank Apisa wrote:
He broke laws…and that means he is a law-breaker. Law-breakers ought to stand trial
Quote:

Law breakers like Rosa Parks? When the rich and powerful abuse their power standing up to them is not a crime. That's why there's a difference between ethics and jurisprudence.

more to the point, can he get a fair trial in America? It's a matter of record that Bradley Manning has been tortured. Wayward spies get tortured in America.

Frank wrote:
Is that something you just made up? I do not have any idea of where that comes from?

It's an observation based on what you've said on this one thread and your no comment approach to the thread I linked. If you think criminals who break the law should be punished then America should deport Robert Seldon Lady to Italy.

Do you agree?
Walter Hinteler

Reply Mon 22 Jul, 2013 11:12 am
I'll install this app now - you never know ...
http://i40.tinypic.com/5ezxaa.jpg
Quote:
USA PRISM Plus will randomly, secretly take photos and tweet them; either straight to the National Security Agency, or just to your friends.

Several options are available to limit when photos are taken and what exactly will be tweeted.

The app will only take photos when your device is in use and not set to silent.

Over 300 million Americans enjoy the services provided by USA PRISM Lite, a vast personal communication data collection network. But it's not just Americans: the NSA's global jurisdiction allows it to serve countless millions more around the world.

Now you can take the next step with USA PRISM Plus, which adds photographic evidence to this collection. Photos taken from your mobile phone without your awareness will be used to determine that you are not engaging in illegal activities. Your activities can be verified by members of the community on Twitter, or you can send the photos straight to the National Security Agency for extra verification.
Google play
0 Replies