Snowdon is a dummy

oralloy

Reply Thu 20 Nov, 2014 12:54 pm
@Olivier5,
Olivier5 wrote:
Someone needs to send Obama and a few US congressmen to Gitmo for a week or two, as inmates, complete with the force feeding through nose tubes 3 times a day and all. Just to remind them that this shame is going on.

It is not a shame to detain POWs until the end of the war.

And the force feeding is only for the ones that are hunger striking, and only because people like you are unreasonable and would blame us if the detainees starved themselves to death.
0 Replies

oralloy

Reply Thu 20 Nov, 2014 12:55 pm
@Olivier5,
Olivier5 wrote:
You don't like my idea of jailing Barak Obama and John Boehner in Gitmo? Why?

Neither one of them are terrorists who are trying to harm innocent people.

Olivier5 wrote:
Then we could quietly discuss how immensly complicated it would to try and free them, and conclude with a grave face that, as much as it grieves us, we need to keep them in there until their death...

If you want the Yemeni low-level militants freed, lobby your government to accept some of them into your country.
Frank Apisa

Reply Thu 20 Nov, 2014 12:57 pm
@oralloy,
oralloy wrote:

Frank Apisa wrote:
If you want to think that America, its citizens, and its political structure are particularly loathsome...and do not care about the problems to which you refer...there is not much I or anyone else can do about that. You certainly are free to continue to feel that way.

As I said, there are many Americans here who agree with you.

Based on the conversations in this thread, I've concluded that there may be more to you then I've previously concluded. I certainly object to all your lies in some of the other threads, but I'm going to risk taking you off ignore.

Perhaps you don't care if I have you on ignore or not. But it seems courteous to inform you.

Thank you, Oralloy.

I disagree with you in many respects, but apparently we are one in feeling that there are way too many people taking pot shots at America for what appears to be no reason but...uhhh, well who the hell knows what.

We are not perfect...not by a long shot. But we stack up favorably to what the English, French, and Germans have done over the years. For that lot to claim indignation is both absurd and hypocritical.

The fact that so many Americans seem to piss and spit on this country particularly galls me. They do this despite the fact that America provides an environment where they and their families can flourish, prosper, and live in relative freedom. That seems to provoke us both...so although we will undoubtedly continue to disagree...often vehemently on other things...I consider us shoulder to shoulder in this area.
cicerone imposter

Reply Thu 20 Nov, 2014 12:59 pm
@oralloy,
What's your definition of a terrorist? Obama authorized the use of drones that kills innocent people. He also increased the troops in Afghanistan by 50,000 that caused untold innocent deaths and the injury and death of US troops. How many innocent lives lost does it take for you to determine they are terrorists?
izzythepush

Reply Thu 20 Nov, 2014 01:04 pm
@Frank Apisa,
Don't try to put words in my mouth. You were deliberately trying to belittle the enormity of Guantanamo Bay by suggesting all nations had something equally monstrous going on. You were ask to give an example, you couldn't.

It's possible to be outraged by Guantanamo Bay and not feel the need to run around screaming 'Death To America!' I know that's a concept you find hard to understand seeing as you're still in the G. W. Bush mindset of either with us or against us.
BillRM

Reply Thu 20 Nov, 2014 01:10 pm
@cicerone imposter,
Quote:
How many innocent lives lost does it take for you to determine they are terrorists?

The numbers of deaths innocent or not innocents, is not the measure of terrorism it is the deliberate targeting of non-combatives instead of military targets.
cicerone imposter

Reply Thu 20 Nov, 2014 01:11 pm
@BillRM,
Doesn't drones fit that definition?

Quote:
The Toll Of 5 Years Of Drone Strikes: 2,400 Dead
The Huffington Post | By Matt Sledge

The U.S. drone program under President Barack Obama reached its fifth anniversary on Thursday having tallied up an estimated death toll of at least 2,400 people.

As the Bureau of Investigative Journalism, a U.K.-based non-profit, details on its website, five years ago the CIA conducted the first drone strikes of the Obama presidency. Although there were reports of suspected "militants" killed, at least 14 civilians also died that day.

After those initial mistakes, TBIJ notes, Obama rapidly ramped up the drone program in Pakistan and increased its use in Yemen and Somalia, two countries where al Qaeda affiliates expanded their presence during Obama's presidency.

Obama recently told The New Yorker that he "wrestle[s]" with civilian casualties. But, he said, he has "a solemn duty and responsibility to keep the American people safe. That’s my most important obligation as President and Commander-in-Chief. And there are individuals and groups out there that are intent on killing Americans -- killing American civilians, killing American children, blowing up American planes."

Human Rights Watch and Amnesty International issued a pair of reports in October fiercely criticizing the secrecy that shrouds the administration's drone program, and calling for investigations into the deaths of drone victims with no apparent connection to terrorism. In Pakistan alone, TBIJ estimates, between 416 and 951 civilians, including 168 to 200 children, have been killed.
Walter Hinteler

Reply Thu 20 Nov, 2014 01:14 pm
@Frank Apisa,
Frank Apisa wrote:
But we stack up favorably to what the English, French, and Germans have done over the years. For that lot to claim indignation is both absurd and hypocritical.
I've always, as long as I can remember, damned that darkest period of Germany, when we had had the concentration camps ... and I'm looking quite unbiased on what had been done before that time, e.g. during and pre-WWI or even earlier.

I really wonder what the world's outcry would be, if Germany created something like Guantanamo.
Frank Apisa

Reply Thu 20 Nov, 2014 01:22 pm
@izzythepush,
izzythepush wrote:

Don't try to put words in my mouth. You were deliberately trying to belittle the enormity of Guantanamo Bay by suggesting all nations had something equally monstrous going on. You were ask to give an example, you couldn't.

Very careful wording on your part...and suggesting I said something I didn't.

Perhaps today...at this time of the day...the English are not doing anything that compares with your rendition of what is happening in Guantanamo...but if you are suggesting the English have never done anything that compares with your jaundiced view of what is going on...I would first have to stop laughing before I could begin to reply.

I am an unabashed Anglophile, Izzy, but the English have conducted themselves as savages all over this planet...and have done things that make whatever is going on in Guantanamo pale in comparison.

Quote:
It's possible to be outraged by Guantanamo Bay and not feel the need to run around screaming 'Death To America!' I know that's a concept you find hard to understand seeing as you're still in the G. W. Bush mindset of either with us or against us.

I most assuredly am not of the GW Bush mindset...or that of his Darth Vader...but while I agree you are not "screaming death to America"...you are boringly regular in dissing us at every opportunity.

Your indignation with our conduct is ludicrous...considering the conduct of your country throughout its history. Great Britain probably would still be doing lots of the dirty...but as a second world nation, it has to watch its step.
oralloy

Reply Thu 20 Nov, 2014 01:23 pm
@Frank Apisa,
Frank Apisa wrote:
I disagree with you in many respects, but apparently we are one in feeling that there are way too many people taking pot shots at America for what appears to be no reason but...uhhh, well who the hell knows what.

Apparently they think America is not allowed to detain captured enemy fighters as POWs.
0 Replies

oralloy

Reply Thu 20 Nov, 2014 01:24 pm
@BillRM,
BillRM wrote:
is not the measure of terrorism it is the deliberate targeting of non-combatives instead of military targets.

That is the primary difference between us and the terrorists.

However, terrorism typically refers to smaller-scale actions by clandestine attackers. A large-scale slaughter of civilians would be better referred to as a crime against humanity instead of as terrorism.
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Thu 20 Nov, 2014 01:26 pm
@Walter Hinteler,
Walter Hinteler wrote:

Frank Apisa wrote:
But we stack up favorably to what the English, French, and Germans have done over the years. For that lot to claim indignation is both absurd and hypocritical.
I've always, as long as I can remember, damned that darkest period of Germany, when we had had the concentration camps ... and I'm looking quite unbiased on what had been done before that time, e.g. during and pre-WWI or even earlier.

If you think your hands were clean before WWII, Walter, you are dreaming. Some of the stuff you guys did in Africa...and during WWI is off the charts.

Quote:
I really wonder what the world's outcry would be, if Germany created something like Guantanamo.

The rest of the world would probably say, "Ahhh, they're at it again." They'd be wrong, because Guantanamo...no matter how deranged you want to view it, is nothing like the Germans managed during the last century.
Olivier5

Reply Thu 20 Nov, 2014 01:29 pm
@Frank Apisa,
Other problems will apply. Doesn't need to be the same ones exactly. Like: 'Boehner has wowed to fight back, which means he's a likely future terrorist. We can't release him, he'd be too dangerous.'
Olivier5

Reply Thu 20 Nov, 2014 01:31 pm
@Walter Hinteler,
Quote:

Do that and put those US spooks in it.
0 Replies

oralloy

@Walter Hinteler,
Walter Hinteler wrote:

I do not anticipate much outcry if you guys set up a POW camp during a time of war.

If Germany, in a time of war, did not keep captured enemy soldiers in POW camps, what would they do with them?
0 Replies

izzythepush

@Frank Apisa,
Let's stick to the here and now, how 21st Century Liberal Democracies are supposed to behave.

Instead of condemning Guantanamo you seem dead set on supporting it.

You're on the same side of the argument as Oralboy. That should tell you something.
Frank Apisa

Reply Thu 20 Nov, 2014 01:34 pm
@Olivier5,
Olivier5 wrote:

Other problems will apply. Doesn't need to be the same ones exactly. Like: 'Boehner has wowed to fight back, which means he's a likely future terrorist. We can't release him, he'd be too dangerous.'

You are getting desperate with that kind of nonsense, Olivier...and when you do that, you know what happens.

https://encrypted-tbn2.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRQFe-swiFG3_NYaO_t23cIH6F8ukxmd3dm5efhv-MaEkxFUHEp

Stop now while you just look silly and petty.

Or keep digging and allow me to have more fun.
Frank Apisa

Reply Thu 20 Nov, 2014 01:40 pm
@izzythepush,
izzythepush wrote:

Let's stick to the here and now, how 21st Century Liberal Democracies are supposed to behave.

Let's not...so we can show your indignation for what it is...hypocrisy.

Quote:
Instead of condemning Guantanamo you seem dead set on supporting it.

I am neither condemning it nor condoning it. Stop manufacturing strawmen...so you can tilt with them.

I am responding to the hypocritical indignation being displayed by people who live in countries that have done much, much worse.

Quote:

You're on the same side of the argument as Oralboy. That should tell you something.

On this one...he and I are on the same side. We see lots (not necessarily all) of the arguments on this issue the same way.

What it shows me is that he and I do not have to be bull headed and refuse to see areas of agreement...like some people on A2K do.
izzythepush

Reply Thu 20 Nov, 2014 01:53 pm
@Frank Apisa,
You can go back to Ghenghis Khan if you want, but you can't give another example of a Liberal Democracy behaving like that in the 21st Century.

My country right or wrong is never a good maxim to apply.

The true hypocrite is one who claims to be one thing, but when push comes to shove behaves exactly the opposite.
BillRM

Reply Thu 20 Nov, 2014 01:57 pm
@cicerone imposter,
Quote:
Doesn't drones fit that definition?

You mean that drones are deliberate targets on non-terrorists/non military targets instead of collateral damage?

You can not fight a war without killing some innocents in the war zone in fact every time the police get into a gun fight with some criminals there is a risk that an innocent citizen blocks away will be hurt or killed by a police bullet.