Snowdon is a dummy

Frank Apisa

Reply Wed 20 Aug, 2014 02:19 pm
@revelette2,
revelette2 wrote:

Quote:
Big difference; the NSA spied on US citizens without a warrant or court authority. It's against the law in the US. What Germany does with other countries is NOT THE SAME

Not without court authority. Also, this part is domestic and really has nothing to do with Germany main gripe with the US, which was the US spying on her phone conversations.

And the courts...probably the SCOTUS...will ultimately decide whether or not what the NSA did IS AGAINST THE LAW...not ci.

Apparently that is something ci cannot grasp.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Wed 20 Aug, 2014 02:29 pm
revelette2 wrote:
However, it seems that some of has been know for a little while now.
Depends on what you call "for a little while now": it wasn't known before this Markus R.-guy was caught, in July, as it is said in the quoted Spiegel-report. (And I'm rather sure, I posted it here as well.)
revelette2

Reply Wed 20 Aug, 2014 02:34 pm
@Walter Hinteler,
I accidently deleted the wrong post, but anyway, I mean by a little while since July.

Quote:
German officials would not confirm Der Spiegel's report. Government spokeswoman Christiane Wirtz said only that the government in July informed a parliamentary intelligence committee about some of the matters in the report and would inform it about the rest soon. The panel is sworn to secrecy.

Read more here: http://www.thenewstribune.com/2014/08/18/3335688/turkey-calls-german-ambassador.html#storylink=cpy
RABEL222

Reply Wed 20 Aug, 2014 02:39 pm
@Frank Apisa,
We've had this discussion Frank and I am not going in to it again. Just sit back and think a little bit and it will come to you. I am myself remembering previous discussions we have had and that is where I came up with that bit of nonsense.
0 Replies

RABEL222

Reply Wed 20 Aug, 2014 02:42 pm
@revelette2,
Merkel is a politician and is doing what all politicians do. Lying to her constituents in order to cover her ass just like ours.
0 Replies

RABEL222

Reply Wed 20 Aug, 2014 02:46 pm
@cicerone imposter,
And Turkey to spy on Germany?
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Wed 20 Aug, 2014 02:47 pm
@revelette2,
Well, if you out of that, Merkel had ordered it ...

I've read the original report by "Der Spiegel". I have heard what was said by various members of the government's Press and Information Office.
Not only in my opinion it all came only out in July after Spiegel had reported about it.

But, of course, I can be totally wrong and missed something.
revelette2

Reply Wed 20 Aug, 2014 02:57 pm
@Walter Hinteler,
What are you talking about? When did I say Merkel ordered it? I just assumed since it has been going on since 2009 as the leader of Germany she would know what her own BND is doing. You correctly told me that it hasn't been reported that Merkel knew about it. I never mentioned "ordered it." Also, I said July now three times for goodness sake.
cicerone imposter

Reply Wed 20 Aug, 2014 03:02 pm
@revelette2,
Without providing the source for the following, I would like to see anyone refute the claims of this article.
Quote:
About four months ago, California Democrat Dianne Feinstein, the chairwoman of the Senate Select Committee on Intelligence, went to the Senate floor and accused the CIA of committing torture during the presidency of George W. Bush and of spying on the committee that she chairs as it was examining records of that torture. Brennan responded by denying both charges and leveling his own -- that investigators for the Senate Intelligence Committee had exceeded their lawful access to CIA records and that that constituted spying on the CIA.

Brennan even got his predecessor, George Tenet, under whose watch Feinstein claimed the torture had occurred and the attacks of 9/11 took place, to deny vehemently that his agents had committed torture. With this mutual finger-pointing, both the CIA and the Senate Intelligence Committee reported each other to the Department of Justice, which promptly punted.

How did all this come about? Under federal law, the CIA gets to do what the president permits and authorizes only when it reports its deeds and misdeeds truthfully to two congressional committees, one of which is the Senate Intelligence Committee. (The other is the House Permanent Select Committee on Intelligence.) None of this is constitutional, of course, seeing as the CIA fights secret wars; the Constitution mandates that only Congress can declare war, and Congress cannot delegate its constitutional authority to committees. This system of secret government is so secret that 90 percent of our elected congressional representatives are kept ignorant of it.
revelette2

Reply Wed 20 Aug, 2014 03:08 pm
I just found an English version of Spiegal Online. Now, perhaps I can attempt to keep a few steps behind on this story.
Quote:

How Germany Spies on Its Friends

By SPIEGEL Staff

For more than a year now, German officials have criticized the US for the NSA's mass spying on Europeans and even Chancellor Angela Merkel. Now, embarrassing revelations show that Germany has inadvertently spied on Hillary Clinton and John Kerry, and has also deliberately targeted Turkey.

It was mid-July, and the German government had something it could be a bit proud of. For the first time in the never-ending spying affair, it had reacted quickly, unanimously and toughly. A spy for the Americans had been exposed inside Germany's foreign intelligence service, the Bundesnachrichtendienst (BND), and the government in Berlin ordered the CIA's top official in Germany to leave the country, demonstrating to Washington that it refused to put up with just anything. Berlin seemed to be going on the offensive.

It didn't last long. Four weeks later, Chancellor Angela Merkel's team is backpedaling. On Friday, the daily Süddeutsche Zeitung reported that the BND -- even if apparently unintentionally -- had eavesdropped on a telephone conversation by then-US Secretary of State Hillary Clinton. The revelation made Merkel's dictum, "Spying among friends? That's unacceptable," ring a bit hollow.

Information obtained by SPIEGEL indicates that the affair goes beyond Clinton. Last year, it also drew in Clinton's successor, John Kerry, when he was mediating in the Middle East between the Israelis, the Palestinians and the Arab states. At the time, the recording of at least one Kerry conversation was apparently immediately deleted by the BND under orders.

The fact that Clinton's conversation apparently wasn't deleted is one of many oddities in the NSA scandal that is filled with them. And it is the product of a number of unfortunate coincidences within the BND.

'By-Catch'

For years, the BND has intercepted satellite telephone conversations from its listening station in Bad Aibling in Bavaria in order to obtain knowledge of the Islamist terrorist scene. But intelligence sources now say that US office holders have also fallen into the BND's crosshairs while making satellite telephone calls from airplanes. Sources described it as a kind of unintentional "by-catch".

That's how Clinton got caught in the BND's net in 2012. The former secretary of state had telephoned with former United Nations Secretary General Kofi Annan. At the time, he was serving as the joint UN-Arab League special envoy for the Syrian crisis. Annan had just left the latest negotiations in Syria and wanted to provide Clinton with an update.

Following protocol, staff at BND headquarters prepared a several-page-long transcript of the conversation and passed it along to senior agency officials. They in turn ordered that the transcript be destroyed. Sources say that the document was not forwarded to Merkel's Chancellery.

But the person tasked with destroying the transcript was Markus R., an employee in the agency's Areas of Operations/Foreign Relations department, who also turns out to be the same man recently accused of serving as an agent for the Americans.

R. apparently had no intention of immediately destroying the transcript. Instead, he allegedly added it to the other 217, in some cases highly sensitive, BND documents that he is suspected of having delivered to the Americans. German investigators discovered the documents on a USB stick during a search of R.'s home at the beginning of July.

Further Deep Blow to German-American Ties

The Americans have now turned the tables and, in internal discussions, are accusing the Germans of hypocrisy. The official line in German security circles is that "allied countries were not and are not our reconnaissance targets". Sources also pointed out that, since the middle of last year, the BND has been under orders by the Chancellery to immediately purge any such by-catch -- it isn't even supposed to be forwarded to senior officials in the foreign intelligence agency. Still, the case represents another deep blow in German-American relations that are already battered.

On Friday, high-ranking members of the German government expressed deep frustration over the matter. Sources in Berlin said government officials had ordered a comprehensive assessment report on the eavesdropping by-catch from the BND. The report is also expected to go beyond the accidental by-catch to address what promises to be an even more explosive issue.

Among the documents allegedly pilfered by Markus R. is one addressing a second, highly sensitive matter: the so-called "order profile" with which the federal government determines the BND's working focus every four years. The profile currently being used was agreed to in 2009 and hasn't been renewed yet because of the NSA scandal. A new version is expected in the coming months.

SPIEGEL has learned from sources that Turkey is one of the BND focuses included in the BND order profile, making the country an official target for the foreign intelligence agency's espionage efforts. The fact that the German intelligence service, at the behest of the government, has targeted a NATO ally could undermine recent efforts by the German government to resolve tensions between Berlin and Ankara.

source

So it was at the behest of the Government.
Frank Apisa

Reply Wed 20 Aug, 2014 03:11 pm
@cicerone imposter,
cicerone imposter wrote:

Without providing the source for the following, I would like to see anyone refute the claims of this article.
Quote:
About four months ago, California Democrat Dianne Feinstein, the chairwoman of the Senate Select Committee on Intelligence, went to the Senate floor and accused the CIA of committing torture during the presidency of George W. Bush and of spying on the committee that she chairs as it was examining records of that torture. Brennan responded by denying both charges and leveling his own -- that investigators for the Senate Intelligence Committee had exceeded their lawful access to CIA records and that that constituted spying on the CIA.

Brennan even got his predecessor, George Tenet, under whose watch Feinstein claimed the torture had occurred and the attacks of 9/11 took place, to deny vehemently that his agents had committed torture. With this mutual finger-pointing, both the CIA and the Senate Intelligence Committee reported each other to the Department of Justice, which promptly punted.

How did all this come about? Under federal law, the CIA gets to do what the president permits and authorizes only when it reports its deeds and misdeeds truthfully to two congressional committees, one of which is the Senate Intelligence Committee. (The other is the House Permanent Select Committee on Intelligence.) None of this is constitutional, of course, seeing as the CIA fights secret wars; the Constitution mandates that only Congress can declare war, and Congress cannot delegate its constitutional authority to committees. This system of secret government is so secret that 90 percent of our elected congressional representatives are kept ignorant of it.

Unless this unnamed source is the entire of the Supreme Court...with a majority of the Justices voting that it is unconstitutional...

...all we have is another ci proclaiming something that he has no authority to proclaim.
0 Replies

RABEL222

Reply Wed 20 Aug, 2014 05:56 pm
@Walter Hinteler,
Walter, have you ever heard of pauseable deniability. It is when a high official is able to persuade one of his underlings to confess to having bypassed the leader and done something illegal or underhanded. Our politicians use it all the time. Lately it was the New Jersey governor over the shutdown of a bridge. It seems this happens in places other than the U S of A.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Wed 20 Aug, 2014 10:54 pm
@revelette2,
revelette2 wrote:
So it was at the behest of the Government.
Yes. And it is now speculated, if someone above or aside the State Secretary at the Federal Chancellery and Federal Government Commissioner for the Federal Intelligence Services knew about it. And if or why not that intelligence committee was informed.
revelette2

Reply Thu 21 Aug, 2014 07:01 am
@Walter Hinteler,
Well, it's interesting. So, before BND sets our their target lists, they have to run it by Germany's parliament intelligent committee first? Apparently Turkey has been an official target since 2009, the first the committee heard of it was last month?

I just hope at the end of the day we don't find that the source of the break of story over the weekend wasn't a US intelligent agent. Or has that information already been posted here and talked about and as usual I missed it. What I am getting at how did Spiegel get all this information, is it all released voluntarily by the German government?
Walter Hinteler

Reply Thu 21 Aug, 2014 09:03 am
@revelette2,
revelette2 wrote:
Well, it's interesting. So, before BND sets our their target lists, they have to run it by Germany's parliament intelligent committee first? Apparently Turkey has been an official target since 2009, the first the committee heard of it was last month?
At least technically, the government had to inform the Parliamentary Control Panel (PKGr) about it. To all I know, they only were informed to it via the information published in Spiegel and days later (mentioned e.g. in your link) by the government response to that report.
Quote:
The Parliamentary Control Panel (PKGr) has been tasked with supervising the Militärischer Abschirmdienst (MAD – Military Counterintelligence Service), the Bundesnachrichtendienst (BND – Federal Intelligence Service) and the BfV. The PKGr is vested with extensive supervisory powers, to include the right to inspect records, the right of admission to all official premises of the intelligence services and the right to interview members of the intelligence services. On the other hand, members of the intelligence services are entitled to directly contact the PKGr in connection with official matters without going through the proper channels.
Source: Federal Office for the Protection of the Constitution (BfV)
Walter Hinteler

Reply Thu 21 Aug, 2014 09:05 am
@revelette2,
revelette2 wrote:
What I am getting at how did Spiegel get all this information, is it all released voluntarily by the German government?
Well, how do journalists get their stories? Some are very good in doing researches, others have good connections. Some have both journalistic "virtues".
revelette2

Reply Thu 21 Aug, 2014 09:21 am
@Walter Hinteler,
Thanks, you are very informed about the workings of your government.
revelette2

Reply Thu 21 Aug, 2014 09:29 am
@Walter Hinteler,
I mean about the first report a month ago in July and the fact that Germany has been spying on Turkey being in the press in Germany. Was that information released from the government when the bit about double agent in Germany passing on information to a US intelligence agent was first reported?

I guess I would think you all's government would try to not release this information as it would be embarrassing as well as stirring up trouble and I wondered how the newspaper got ahold of it all is all I wondered. Not about the double agent as being embarrassing but the part about spying on Turkey.
cicerone imposter

Reply Thu 21 Aug, 2014 09:39 am
@revelette2,
It's called 'transparency.' Something the US government lacks.
Walter Hinteler

Reply Thu 21 Aug, 2014 10:05 am
@revelette2,
Well, journalists from Spiegel and Süddeutsche Zeitung seem to have 'sources'.

And, of course, the government didn't release the information - it seems that at least some really wanted the BND to spy on Turkey.
0 Replies