Snowdon is a dummy

Olivier5

Reply Sat 2 Aug, 2014 03:31 pm
@Frank Apisa,
Quote:
I doubt most of them would move, Olivier.

Not all have the means or the appetite to do so. At 79, ci prefers to give up on US politics and stick around rather than start a new life elsewhere. That seems logical to me, and rather easy to understand too...
Frank Apisa

Reply Sat 2 Aug, 2014 03:41 pm
@Olivier5,
Olivier5 wrote:

Quote:
I doubt most of them would move, Olivier.

Not all have the means or the appetite to do so. At 79, ci prefers to give up on US politics and stick around rather than start a new life elsewhere. That seems logical to me, and rather easy to understand too...

Fine...then "understand" it, Olivier.

But he seems so terribly unhappy with the conditions under which he has to live...feeling so much need to constantly bad-mouth the country in which he lives...it seems to me to be reasonable and appropriate to remind him that he has an option...to move away.

That seems logical to me...and also rather easy to understand.

ehBeth

Reply Sat 2 Aug, 2014 03:48 pm
@Olivier5,
They've been coming up here for generations. It happens in waves. Started with those leaving the US because they wanted to stay connected to Britain - the United Empire Loyalists. Then there were batches around the time of the Civil War. Then a lot came up around the time of Vietnam - some draft dodgers - others just disagreeing with what the US was doing. Another group came up around the Gulf Wars - again disagreement with government action. There's a steady general flow of Americans into Canada in between specific flash points. Some who want access to the medical care system.

There have always been enough that they have Democrat and Republican party meetings in Toronto and some other cities.
Olivier5

Reply Sat 2 Aug, 2014 03:50 pm
@Frank Apisa,
I do understand ci. I also understand your need to constantly express your frustration at people like ci... but if you hate your compatriots so much, and millions of them, maybe you should consider leaving the country...
cicerone imposter

Reply Sat 2 Aug, 2014 03:53 pm
@Olivier5,
Frank sort of reminds me of my childhood when white people used to tell me to go back to my own country - even though I'm third generation American.

My wife and I live in Silicon Valley in California, a somewhat affluent area of the San Francisco Bay Area, because of all the hi tech and bio tech companies around here. Our area also enjoys one of the highest average income in the country. We're #17 on Forbes list of wealthiest counties.

Why the likes of Frank would even suggest we move to another country is beyond my comprehension. We made our lives here, made our careers here, have family and friends here, and we enjoy this part of the world as our home.

Frank Apisa

Reply Sat 2 Aug, 2014 04:00 pm
@Olivier5,
Olivier5 wrote:

I do understand ci. I also understand your need to constantly express your frustration at people like ci... but if you hate your compatriots so much, and millions of them, maybe you should consider leaving the country...

Nice try...but no cigar, Olivier.

I do not hate ci. In fact, I attempted to be cordial with him by volunteering to guide him through Central Park (a great place) or one of the many New York City museums that I know because of many visits.

I do not hate my compatriots...and that was just a heavy-handed attempt on your part to pretend that I have expressed such feelings.

ci, on the other hand, constantly and regularly expresses contempt for the country in which he lives...so the notion of an alternative to continuing to live here is appropriate to mention.

But keep digging. I love it.
Wink
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Sat 2 Aug, 2014 04:03 pm
@cicerone imposter,
cicerone imposter wrote:

Frank sort of reminds me of my childhood when white people used to tell me to go back to my own country - even though I'm third generation American.

My wife and I live in Silicon Valley in California, a somewhat affluent area of the San Francisco Bay Area, because of all the hi tech and bio tech companies around here. Our area also enjoys one of the highest average income in the country. We're #17 on Forbes list of wealthiest counties.

Why the likes of Frank would even suggest we move to another country is beyond my comprehension. We made our lives here, made our careers here, have family and friends here, and we enjoy this part of the world as our home.

I have explained "why", ci.

You show contempt and hatred for the country...so the alternative of moving somewhere else should be mentioned. It is the humane thing to do.

You understand the "why"...but just as you do not have the spine to move away from the place you so detest...you do not have the spine to acknowledge that you understand.

And it has nothing whatever to do with ethnicity.

Hey...no problem.
0 Replies

Olivier5

Reply Sat 2 Aug, 2014 04:15 pm
@cicerone imposter,
Quote:
We made our lives here, made our careers here, have family and friends here, and we enjoy this part of the world as our home.

But but but, if you have given up on the US government, you have to leave the country. That's how it is... ;-)

Moreover, if you don't like the way this planet is governed (or not governed), you ought to consider leaving the planet altogether and settling elsewhere in the solar system... That would be the ONLY honorable thing to do.

And if you don't like the way the solar system is managed, why oh why don't you consider moving to Beta Centori or some other planetary system??? Honestly, we'll feel much better without nests of nasty discenters on Mars or Jupiter!

RABEL222

Reply Sat 2 Aug, 2014 04:19 pm
@Frank Apisa,
No its not. You don't change bad government to good by claiming its ok because its my government. For the last 34 years government has been for the rich and against the middleclass in a big way. The press and the legislatures and most of government has been bought and paid for by big money all that time and to say it has been good because a majority of the people have voted for it is stupid. Do you recognize graft when you see it Frank because that is the kind of government you have now. Graft has been reinvented and labeled political contributions or according the that other paragon of government the supreme court free speech. Do you recognize brain washing when you see it. If you claim what I have posted here is untrue than you are as full of shyt an Lush Limbaugh.
cicerone imposter

Reply Sat 2 Aug, 2014 04:20 pm
@Olivier5,
Ok, I know you know me better than I know myself. What am I to do?

Frank Apisa

Reply Sat 2 Aug, 2014 04:26 pm
@Olivier5,
Olivier5 wrote:

Quote:
We made our lives here, made our careers here, have family and friends here, and we enjoy this part of the world as our home.

But but but, if you have given up on the US government, you have to leave the country. That's how it is... ;-)

No you do not...and I have NEVER said that. But your compulsion to keep digging makes you want to pretend that I did.

Fine with me. I gotta acknowledge that I enjoy toying with you.

What I have said, though, is that if you hate the place as much as ci does...he ought to at least consider moving.

In my opinion, he would be better off...and so would the United States.

Quote:
Moreover, if you don't like the way this planet is governed (or not governed), you ought to consider leaving the planet altogether and settling elsewhere in the solar system... That would be the ONLY honorable thing to do.

The trouble with deep holes is that you sometimes lose sight of everything. Hope you are enjoying your trip into fantasy land.
Wink

Quote:
And if you don't like the way the solar system is managed, why oh why don't you consider moving to Beta Centori or some other planetary system??? Honestly, we'll feel much better without nests of nasty discenters on Mars or Jupiter!

You spelled "centauri" and "dissenters" wrong, Olivier. The heat getting to you?

0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Sat 2 Aug, 2014 04:30 pm
@RABEL222,
RABEL222 wrote:

No its not. You don't change bad government to good by claiming its ok because its my government. For the last 34 years government has been for the rich and against the middleclass in a big way. The press and the legislatures and most of government has been bought and paid for by big money all that time and to say it has been good because a majority of the people have voted for it is stupid. Do you recognize graft when you see it Frank because that is the kind of government you have now. Graft has been reinvented and labeled political contributions or according the that other paragon of government the supreme court free speech. Do you recognize brain washing when you see it. If you claim what I have posted here is untrue than you are as full of shyt an Lush Limbaugh.

Calm down, Rabel.

There are problems.

There are problems everywhere.

You can post here and bemoan that things are not Utopian...or you can be above that kind of black thinking.

I suggest the latter.

https://www.google.com/?gws_rd=ssl#q=always+look+on+the+bright+side+of+life

Olivier5

Reply Sat 2 Aug, 2014 05:00 pm
@cicerone imposter,
You could at the very least CONSIDER leaving the country. That's the least you can do. Give it some thought, like for ten seconds or so... That's all Frank is suggesting, after all. A little consideration, please? ;-)
Olivier5

Reply Sat 2 Aug, 2014 05:08 pm
@ehBeth,
Thanks, that was enlightening. From what you say, it seems to be their loss and your gain. People who didn't support the Vietnam and Iraq wars should be good, enlighten folks, no?
izzythepush

Reply Sat 2 Aug, 2014 05:14 pm
@Olivier5,
I've not met one Canadian that I've not had to apologise to within the first few moments of meeting them. All because I thought they were American. I've never felt the need to apologise to a New Zealander for thinking they were Australian, or a Belgian for thinking they were French, but with Canadians it's expected, no, it's obligatory.
cicerone imposter

Reply Sat 2 Aug, 2014 05:17 pm
@Olivier5,
Just trying to name a country that I find appealing is nowhere to be found! Even those places that speaks languages I'm not familiar with will be too much of a struggle for a senior like me and my wife. Is 15 seconds too much? Embarrassed
Olivier5

Reply Sat 2 Aug, 2014 05:23 pm
@cicerone imposter,
Okay, you've considered it for 15 seconds. That should be enough for Frank... That's all he wanted you to do, after all.
0 Replies

Olivier5

Reply Sat 2 Aug, 2014 05:25 pm
@izzythepush,
Don't they feel honored? Gee, I can't understand why...
Frank Apisa

Reply Sat 2 Aug, 2014 07:22 pm
@cicerone imposter,
cicerone imposter wrote:

Just trying to name a country that I find appealing is nowhere to be found! Even those places that speaks languages I'm not familiar with will be too much of a struggle for a senior like me and my wife. Is 15 seconds too much? Embarrassed

Don't you enjoy being part of these others who think America is beneath contempt, ci.

Show more scorn...and continue to live here. Be sure not to vote...and continue to complain about government. The country will survive people like you...who, in the end, are more of a problem than the folk you complain about.

You really didn't need 15 seconds, because even though you trash it and bad-mouth it at every opportunity...you realize this is where you want to be.
cicerone imposter

Reply Sat 2 Aug, 2014 07:36 pm
@Frank Apisa,
You wrote,
Quote:
Don't you enjoy being part of these others who think America is beneath contempt, ci.

NEWS: I have contempt for our government. That people who don't live in the US or are citizens can understand how broken our government is - is the best measure of how our country is doing through their eyes.

I'm no longer proud of our country. The NSA went beyond our Constitution to spy on Americans and our allies. Our government has continued to torture prisoners deemed illegal according to domestic and international laws. Our government can't agree to compromise to make laws that will make us a 'real' democracy where the parties know how to negotiate and compromise. The SCOTUS stuck their nose into ACA by allowing Hobby Lobby to deny contraception to women - voted by the men that impacts women's health. Our country gave the Zionists money to spend on war machines to kill more innocent men, women and children. Our government is broken - proven by the fact that their performance approval rating is 13% - the lowest in history.
The congress failed to provide funding for the border crisis at the Mexican border to help children with their physical and mental health.

What's to like? It doesn't take a rocket scientist to know that our country hasn't much to be proud of.