Snowdon is a dummy

BillRM

Reply Thu 31 Jul, 2014 09:34 pm
@Olivier5,
Quote:
Microsoft should headquarter their firm outside the US. Problem solved.

No problem except for the American economic and the American upper middle class that is the Microsoft workforce.
Olivier5

Reply Thu 31 Jul, 2014 09:38 pm
@BillRM,
No need to relocate the workforce. Only the executive team. NYou may lose their corporate tax though.
BillRM

Reply Thu 31 Jul, 2014 09:50 pm
@Olivier5,
I am not as lawyer I just play one on the internet but somehow I would think that they would need to do a lot more then just move their headquarter people off US soil for the US courts not to consider them an American firm.
Olivier5

Reply Thu 31 Jul, 2014 09:59 pm
@BillRM,
I don't think so.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Fri 1 Aug, 2014 02:19 am
The SPD's parliamentary group leader Oppermann said today (anniversary of Snowden's asylum in Russia was yesterday) that it would be the best, if Snowden returned to the USA. "Otherwise he will be chased for the rest of his life." However that should be done with a "humanitarian solution".

"The Snowden affair shouldn't be a continuous liability for the US-German relations." He admitted: "Obviously, the Americans can't understand our problems." It would last long and it would be hard work to get the relations back to normality.
Frank Apisa

Reply Fri 1 Aug, 2014 02:40 am
@Olivier5,
Olivier5 wrote:

CI does like the place too. It's the way it is governed which he doesn't like. But of course you know that already. You're just pretending to be more stupid than you actually are...

Do you think MLK should have left the country, rather than try to fix it?

I am not stupid, Olivier.

You apparently left. ci should leave...he loathes the country and is determined to tell everyone how much he detests it as often as he can.

If had any spine at all...he would leave.
Frank Apisa

Reply Fri 1 Aug, 2014 02:41 am
@cicerone imposter,
cicerone imposter wrote:

I'm glad to see at least someone understands where I'm coming from. Thank you, Olivier5, you made my day!

Oh, ci...I see where you are coming from.

Olivier is just getting his jollies the way he so often does.
0 Replies

oralloy

Reply Fri 1 Aug, 2014 06:12 am
@BillRM,
BillRM wrote:
The US government with the help of the courts are going to dig the graves of American firms as why give your information to a trustee that could be order in secret to turn the information over to a foreign government even when the information is in your own nation?

The notion that "if the government shows up with a valid search warrant, a site will give them the information they seek" is hardly controversial.
oralloy

Reply Fri 1 Aug, 2014 06:13 am
@Olivier5,
Olivier5 wrote:
Microsoft should headquarter their firm outside the US. Problem solved.

If a corporation wishes to avoid the reach of the US government, they will have to completely withdraw from the United States.

That means no offices, no workers, and no sales of products.

Notice how European banks (that are headquartered outside the US but which do some business within the US) are required to comply with US rules for all of their international transactions.
Walter Hinteler

Reply Fri 1 Aug, 2014 06:18 am
@oralloy,
oralloy wrote:
Notice how European banks (that are headquartered outside the US but which do some business within the US) are required to comply with US rules for all of their international transactions.
That is totally bullshit. The US has no jurisdiction on any European banks' international transaction besides US-businesses related.
BillRM

Reply Fri 1 Aug, 2014 06:35 am
@oralloy,
Quote:
The notion that "if the government shows up with a valid search warrant, a site will give them the information they seek" is hardly controversial.

Not true when it come to a foreign government using their companies to seized information located on another nation soil of that nation own citizens and against that nation laws.

Bet you would wish to declare war if that would happen to an American citizen with the Russian government doing such nonsense.

However the simple solution is not to do business over such matters with any US firm problem solve except for US firms.being locked out of the international information storage business.
oralloy

Reply Fri 1 Aug, 2014 06:50 am
@Walter Hinteler,
Walter Hinteler wrote:
oralloy wrote:

That is totally bullshit. The US has no jurisdiction on any European banks' international transaction besides US-businesses related.

If they conduct a transaction denominated in US dollars, the US government claims jurisdiction over that transaction, no matter where on the planet the transaction takes place.

Note:
http://www.economist.com/news/finance-and-economics/21606321-frances-largest-bank-gets-fined-evading-american-sanctions-capital-punishment

I suppose they could start denominating their transactions in pesos.
oralloy

Reply Fri 1 Aug, 2014 06:51 am
@BillRM,
BillRM wrote:
However the simple solution is not to do business over such matters with any US firm problem solve except for US firms.being locked out of the international information storage business.

A retaliatory trade war should nip such behavior in the bud.
Walter Hinteler

Reply Fri 1 Aug, 2014 07:31 am
@oralloy,
oralloy wrote:
If they conduct a transaction denominated in US dollars, the US government claims jurisdiction over that transaction, no matter where on the planet the transaction takes place.
That is not what your post said to which I responded.

As a side question: do you think, any country should abandon the non-extraterritoriality of laws or has only the U.S.A. the right to do so?
Olivier5

Reply Fri 1 Aug, 2014 07:37 am
@Walter Hinteler,
The US enforces financial sanctions on Iran, and perhaps other countries, by leveraging business in the US. Paribas had to pay a huge fine recently, to keep doing business on the US.
Walter Hinteler

Reply Fri 1 Aug, 2014 07:40 am
@Olivier5,
I know.
0 Replies

Olivier5

Reply Fri 1 Aug, 2014 07:40 am
@Frank Apisa,
You ARE stupid if you think that.
Olivier5

Reply Fri 1 Aug, 2014 07:53 am
@Walter Hinteler,
Quote:
The SPD's parliamentary group leader Oppermann said today (anniversary of Snowden's asylum in Russia was yesterday) that it would be the best, if Snowden returned to the USA. "Otherwise he will be chased for the rest of his life." However that should be done with a "humanitarian solution".

These guys should mind their own business.
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Fri 1 Aug, 2014 07:59 am
@Olivier5,
Olivier5 wrote:

You ARE stupid if you think that.

Well...I do think that...and I am not stupid.

But I understand that people like you and ci have to call others stupid in order to feel better about yourselves.

So go for it.
BillRM

Reply Fri 1 Aug, 2014 08:23 am
@oralloy,
Quote:
A retaliatory trade war should nip such behavior in the bud.

How?

The US government is not going to be able to force individuals and companies to place important information in the hands of those they do not have trust in.

Hell even US citizens will and in fact are avoiding doing so as a tiny tiny tiny example my VPN provider is located in Switzerland beyond the reach of any US government secret orders even if some US base VPN services are cheaper.

The new truecrypt project is also now located off shore in Switzerland for the same reasons that no one is trusting the US government and companies under the authorize of the US government.

I still use US cloud storage but I would never never place any important and private information that is not encrypted first with 256 AES before leaving my also encrypted computers.